daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #5201
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
My point was about time, traffic and very low avg transit speeds and my anecdote predates that line's operation.

It can be applied to any large city in China.
Yes, and since Pearl River delta has nowhere near enough CRH service to remove congestion from roads, it remains relevant.

2,75 hours for 130 km means 47 km/h average. Not bad in a city. What is the top speed on streets? 50 km/h?

For comparison, consider CRH services:
Guangzhou South - Shenzhen North (102 km) - 37 G trains daily
nonstops (6 daily) - 0:29 (average 211 km/h)
1 all-stop train daily - G6205, 3 stops (Qingcheng, Humen, Guangming) - 0:51 (average 120 km/h)
Guangzhou-Shenzhen (147 km) - 25 D trains daily
all make same 4 stops (Guangzhou East, Shilong, Dongguan, Zhangmutou)
travel time 1:31 to 1:44 (97 km/h to 85 km/h).
Guangzhou South - Zhuhai North (93 km) - 25 D trains daily
fastest D7601 (3 stops, 0:48, 116 km/h), slowest D7645 (8 stops, 1:13, 76 km/h).
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #5202
sasalove

Likes (Received): 0

News on the new opening
sasalove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #5203
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
2,75 hours for 130 km means 47 km/h average. Not bad in a city. What is the top speed on streets? 50 km/h?
On the freeway? No, those speeds are terrible.

My long distance driving experience is North America and Europe.

Whilst the newer roads here APPEAR to be just like those, the cultural aspects mean that your effective avg speed is not 140kph but 80 or 90.

Since you save no time owning a car in China, and spend additional large sums of money on gas, tolls, the car, insurance and the Foreigner Liability Risk Premium, it makes sense to not have a car here. Unless you are a Director and a driver is part of your package.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #5204
zjl625

Likes (Received): 0

Beijing-Guangzhou HSR by 罗春晓 source

November 19th, 2012. Beijing.

December 8th, 2012. Beijing.

October 30th, 2012. Zhengzhou, Henan province.

November 11th, 2012. Luohe, Henan province.

November 13th, 2012. Xinyang, Henan province.

November 14th,2012. Xiaogan, Hubei province.

August 15th, 2010. Wuhan, Hubei province.

December 26th, 2009. Xianning, Hubei province.

Novemeber, 2009. Hengyang, Hunan province.

March 1st, 2010. Shaoguan, Guangdong province.

February 28th, 2010. Qingyuan, Guangdong province.
zjl625 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #5205
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Great pictures and my favorite CRH train!!! Definitely some rough terrain these lines seem to go through.

China is really working hard to make sure public transport around the country is fast and efficient. I was able to move around the country efficiently back in 2010 before most of these CRH lines were in operation. I can only imagine how much better getting around will be now and into the future.

Last edited by FM 2258; December 30th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #5206
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Since you save no time owning a car in China, and spend additional large sums of money on gas, tolls, the car, insurance and the Foreigner Liability Risk Premium, it makes sense to not have a car here. Unless you are a Director and a driver is part of your package.
And if the driver is free, why use him? A chauffeured limousine is no faster than the other cars stuck in the traffic, and no safer. All the director gets by hiring the chauffeur, in package or out of pocket, is get free of the work driving the car and be able to do something else on the back seat.

Do the Directors prefer buying first class and VIP tickets on CRH, and charging the tickets on the firm?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #5207
China Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

Great pictures and my favorite CRH train!!! Definitely some rough terrain these lines seem to go through.

China is really working hard to make sure public transport around the country is fast and efficient. I was able to move around the country efficiently back in 2010 before most of these CRH lines were in operation. I can only imagine how much better getting around will be now and into the future.
The line south of Changsha is especially picturesque. It really looks like a painting or post card most of the way to Guangzhou as the photos above show. I am certain this was quite intentional to appeal to tourism.
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:11 AM   #5208
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

I liked the "December 8th, 2012. Beijing" one. 380A is so predominant in front of a washed background. Good photo.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:54 PM   #5209
hhzz

Likes (Received): 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjl625 View Post
Beijing-Guangzhou HSR by 罗春晓 source

November 19th, 2012. Beijing.

December 8th, 2012. Beijing.

October 30th, 2012. Zhengzhou, Henan province.

November 11th, 2012. Luohe, Henan province.

November 13th, 2012. Xinyang, Henan province.

November 14th,2012. Xiaogan, Hubei province.

August 15th, 2010. Wuhan, Hubei province.

December 26th, 2009. Xianning, Hubei province.

Novemeber, 2009. Hengyang, Hunan province.

March 1st, 2010. Shaoguan, Guangdong province.

February 28th, 2010. Qingyuan, Guangdong province.
great picture.
hhzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:01 PM   #5210
FM 2258

Quote:
The line south of Changsha is especially picturesque. It really looks like a painting or post card most of the way to Guangzhou as the photos above show. I am certain this was quite intentional to appeal to tourism.
I have to say that China is a beautiful country all over, I'd love to see this part of the line south of Changsha. Looks great.

Question about the Beijing-Guangzhou G train...it looks like it starts at Beijing West, does it also run through Beijing South? For some reason I thought all the G trains would run from Beijing South.

One day, hopefully, I'll come to truly understand what's going on with China's rail system.
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:24 AM   #5211
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Question about the Beijing-Guangzhou G train...it looks like it starts at Beijing West, does it also run through Beijing South? For some reason I thought all the G trains would run from Beijing South.
Nope, not all G trains go to Beijing South. Beijing-Guangzhou and Beijing-Shanghai really don't share any tracks, but they are connected physically. There is a branch line connecting the two, but if you look at the map you'll see that both stations depart towards southwest and then the one to Guangzhou will take a slightly western turn while the one to Shanghai takes an eastern route. A train coming from Shanghai will not pass Beijing West, and a train from Guangzhou will not pass through Beijing South, this is just like Shanghai Station and Hongqiao. They probably did this so that Beijing South is not overloaded, the two stations are pretty close to each other, the straight line distance is only about 5 km, once a direct shuttle train is available between the two they will essentially become one station. Having going through both stations I have to say Beijing really should start thinking about either expanding South or build a new one.
Old January 1st, 2013, 06:33 AM   #5212
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

12.31 Guangzhou-Zhuhai HSR opens

First CRH train D7603 completes Guangzhou South to Zhuhai (Gongbei) trip in 68 minutes.

big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM   #5213
greenlion

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Nope, not all G trains go to Beijing South. Beijing-Guangzhou and Beijing-Shanghai really don't share any tracks, but they are connected physically. There is a branch line connecting the two, but if you look at the map you'll see that both stations depart towards southwest and then the one to Guangzhou will take a slightly western turn while the one to Shanghai takes an eastern route. A train coming from Shanghai will not pass Beijing West, and a train from Guangzhou will not pass through Beijing South, this is just like Shanghai Station and Hongqiao. They probably did this so that Beijing South is not overloaded, the two stations are pretty close to each other, the straight line distance is only about 5 km, once a direct shuttle train is available between the two they will essentially become one station. Having going through both stations I have to say Beijing really should start thinking about either expanding South or build a new one.
The plan of New Fengtai Station
greenlion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM   #5214
FM 2258

Quote:
I see, Beijing West -> Guangzhou South, Beijing South -> Shanghai Hongqaio.

I can also see how this works on the map. Good to see that not everyone needs to go to one station to take all trains south. What's the progress on this shuttle train? Do new tracks need to be laid for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
12.31 Guangzhou-Zhuhai HSR opens

First CRH train D7603 completes Guangzhou South to Zhuhai (Gongbei) trip in 68 minutes.

What's the distance between the two stations and how long does the non-stop train take? Wikipedia shows a value of 116 for distance but no measurement. Another article mentions 142 km (88 miles) in 48 minutes http://tinyurl.com/bj2ch6x , probably express which is pretty damn fast, beats the hell out of driving.
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:07 PM   #5215
hmmwv

The distance between Guangzhou South and Zhuhai (Gongbei) is 116km, right now there are no non-stop train, the quickest one takes 72 minutes.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:23 PM   #5216
China Hand

I scored a VIP 1st Class Sight Seeing seat for my trip back today.

[IMG]http://i49.************/2mfxq1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i50.************/34q0o43.png[/IMG]

Last edited by China Hand; January 2nd, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:17 PM   #5217
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1772

Quote:
The distance between Guangzhou South and Zhuhai (Gongbei) is 116km, right now there are no non-stop train, the quickest one takes 72 minutes.
It's almost one Yuan for every minute.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:45 AM   #5218
hmmwv

Quote:
I scored a VIP 1st Class Sight Seeing seat for my trip back today.
My understanding is that on CRH380A there are no seats directly behind the driver so you can see through the glass wall and view out of the main windshield. Only on CRH3/380B.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:13 AM   #5219
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

Quote:
the straight line distance is only about 5 km, once a direct shuttle train is available between the two they will essentially become one station.
is that shuttle train in any way related to this long-delayed boondoggle?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...8&postcount=22

http://www.cctv.com/english/special/...9/103579.shtml
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:25 AM   #5220
FM 2258

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. What was the best way to get to Zhuhai before this line was opened? Car/Bus?

Interesting that this train pretty much goes a mile per minute. Although I wish it was a faster line like the Shanghai -> Hangzhou or Beijing -> Tianjin line, this is probably a hell of a lot better than the previous transport options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
is that shuttle train in any way related to this long-delayed boondoggle?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...8&postcount=22

http://www.cctv.com/english/special/...9/103579.shtml
Why would a connector project be a boondoggle?

Also...is there going to be a similar connector to Beijing South? Maybe a triangle of rapid transit connections is in order.

Last edited by FM 2258; January 3rd, 2013 at 05:02 AM.

Tags
china, high speed rail