daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:38 AM   #5501
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhzz View Post
China's high - speed railway line linking Beijing and Shanghai has recorded over 100 million passenger trips since it started operation in June 2011, railway authorities announced on Thursday.
Meaning 1 year 8 months.

Tokaido Shinkansen needed over 2 years, from October 1964 till sometime in 1967, to record 100 million passengers.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:20 PM   #5502
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I think the current CRH tracks can handle far more capacity. So far, frequencies on the major lines can still be bunched up further, like what I've seen in Taiwan (departures every 10-20 minutes).
True, I think this will be a case of learn, increase frequency, learn, repeat.

Still, the old slow trains need to double up on capacity for those who cannot afford them. Double decker cars, more frequent trains, speed increases would all help but freight bottlenecks it all.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:15 AM   #5503
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Meaning 1 year 8 months.

Tokaido Shinkansen needed over 2 years, from October 1964 till sometime in 1967, to record 100 million passengers.
So, there is a possibility that Beijjing-Shanghai will become the most heavily-used HSR line in the world...
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:19 AM   #5504
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

It is more like an eventuality.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:27 AM   #5505
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
So, there is a possibility that Beijjing-Shanghai will become the most heavily-used HSR line in the world...
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
It is more like an eventuality.
It depends on the frequency of how many trains can depart within a certain amount of time.
Shinkansen has 13 trains depart within an hour or one per 4 and a half minutes. When the Shinkansen inaugurated in 1964 it was less then one per 15 minutes so there has been a giant leap there.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:07 AM   #5506
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
It depends on the frequency of how many trains can depart within a certain amount of time.
Shinkansen has 13 trains depart within an hour or one per 4 and a half minutes.
Which station, direction and hour?

From Tokyo towards Nagoya I find at most 11 trains, between 18:00 and 19:00 - the usual 10 hourly trains, plus an extra Kodama at 18:37. But where do you find 13 trains?
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #5507
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

A viaduct is seen over farmland in Huzhou, east China's Zhejiang Province, Feb. 28, 2013. The 150-kilometer Hangzhou-Ningbo high-speed railway linking Hangzhou and Ningbo, two hub cities in Zhejiang, commenced its integration test here on Friday. Once put into operation on July 2013 as expected, the high-speed railway that designed at a top speed of 350km/h, would reduce the travel time to 36 minitues, a quarter time of the current two-hour journey. (Xinhua/Tan Jin)

Engineers from China Academy of Railway Sciences collect data for the integration test in Huzhou, east China's Zhejiang Province, Feb. 26, 2013. The 150-kilometer Hangzhou-Ningbo high-speed railway linking Hangzhou and Ningbo, two hub cities in Zhejiang, commenced its integration test here on Friday. Once put into operation on July 2013 as expected, the high-speed railway that designed at a top speed of 350km/h, would reduce the travel time to 36 minitues, a quarter time of the current two-hour journey. (Xinhua/Tan Jin)

Construction workers and engineers examine rail tracks in the Huzhou Railway Station in Huzhou, east China's Zhejiang Province, March. 16, 2012. The 150-kilometer Hangzhou-Ningbo high-speed railway linking Hangzhou and Ningbo, two hub cities in Zhejiang, commenced its integration test here on Friday. Once put into operation on July 2013 as expected, the high-speed railway that designed at a top speed of 350km/h, would reduce the travel time to 36 minitues, a quarter time of the current two-hour journey. (Xinhua/Tan Jin)

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Northridge liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #5508
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
I contributed to 4 such trips. However, I believe Beijing-Zhengzhou-Wuhan-Changsha-Guangzhou-Hong Kong will be more popular. More big city along the way than Beijing-Tianjin-Jinan-Nanjing-Shanghai.

Last edited by luhai; March 4th, 2013 at 08:06 AM.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #5509
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai View Post
I contributed to 4 such trips. However, I believe Beijing-Zhengzhou-Wuhan-Changsha-Guangzhou-Hong Kong will be more popular. More big city along the way than Beijing-Tianjin-Jinan-Nanjing-Shanghai.

But I think there will be more passengers to do the entire Beijing-Shanghai, then will do the entire Beijing-Guangzhou or Beijing-Hong Kong, because travel time for those distances is just too high.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #5510
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/photo/2013-03/01/132201750_11n.jpg

A viaduct is seen over farmland in Huzhou, east China's Zhejiang Province, Feb. 28, 2013. The 150-kilometer Hangzhou-Ningbo high-speed railway linking Hangzhou and Ningbo, two hub cities in Zhejiang, commenced its integration test here on Friday. Once put into operation on July 2013 as expected, the high-speed railway that designed at a top speed of 350km/h, would reduce the travel time to 36 minitues, a quarter time of the current two-hour journey. (Xinhua/Tan Jin)
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/ph...201750_51n.jpg

Engineers from China Academy of Railway Sciences collect data for the integration test in Huzhou, east China's Zhejiang Province, Feb. 26, 2013. The 150-kilometer Hangzhou-Ningbo high-speed railway linking Hangzhou and Ningbo, two hub cities in Zhejiang, commenced its integration test here on Friday. Once put into operation on July 2013 as expected, the high-speed railway that designed at a top speed of 350km/h, would reduce the travel time to 36 minitues, a quarter time of the current two-hour journey. (Xinhua/Tan Jin)
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/ph...201750_61n.jpg

Construction workers and engineers examine rail tracks in the Huzhou Railway Station in Huzhou, east China's Zhejiang Province, March. 16, 2012. The 150-kilometer Hangzhou-Ningbo high-speed railway linking Hangzhou and Ningbo, two hub cities in Zhejiang, commenced its integration test here on Friday. Once put into operation on July 2013 as expected, the high-speed railway that designed at a top speed of 350km/h, would reduce the travel time to 36 minitues, a quarter time of the current two-hour journey. (Xinhua/Tan Jin)
Cool pictures. Why are they showing pictures of Huzhou when that town isn't between Hangzhou and Ningbo? Huzhou is north west of Hangzhou according to Google maps.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #5511
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

Maybe they are confusing it with the Nanjing - Hangzhou line?

FM 2258 liked this post
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #5512
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

3.1 Hangzhou-Ningbo HSR starts testing run with CRH380D

Length: 149.89km, 7 stations
Design speed: 350km/h
Cost: 21.2 bln yuan
Construction: April 2009 ~ March 2013

The new constructed HSR will open in July 2013.

metrofans.sh.cn
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #5513
Silver Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai View Post
You also have to consider the purchasing power of the population. China has a very small middle class and upper class compared to the lower class. Beijing-Shanghai has good market value because most of the purchasing power is there.
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #5514
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
3.1 Hangzhou-Ningbo HSR starts testing run with CRH380D

Length: 149.89km, 7 stations
Design speed: 350km/h
Cost: 21.2 bln yuan
Construction: April 2009 ~ March 2013

The new constructed HSR will open in July 2013.

metrofans.sh.cn

This is awesome! I wonder if they plan to start running the CRH380D on this line. I bet it's nice to have an entire line free of traffic for a few months to test new trains.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #5515
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
But I think there will be more passengers to do the entire Beijing-Shanghai, then will do the entire Beijing-Guangzhou or Beijing-Hong Kong, because travel time for those distances is just too high.
Indeed, bulk of Beijing-Guangzhou travel will be from central province cities to and from Beijing or Guangzhou. There is a lot of travel needs in that area, and it makes the bulk of spring time travel rush.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #5516
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

Quote:
You also have to consider the purchasing power of the population. China has a very small middle class and upper class compared to the lower class. Beijing-Shanghai has good market value because most of the purchasing power is there.
Small in proportion but huge in absolute numbers. The size of China's middle class is around 300 million, which is a gigantic number. Considering Beijing and Shanghai are the key government and economic centres amongst the 300 million, I'm not at all surprised the HSR line will become the busiest in the world.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/25/news...lass/index.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #5517
China Hand

Quote:
Small in proportion but huge in absolute numbers. The size of China's middle class is around 300 million, which is a gigantic number.
It is also growing at a visible pace year over year. I can see this from 5 years ago to present, with ease.
Old March 5th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #5518
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Small in proportion but huge in absolute numbers. The size of China's middle class is around 300 million, which is a gigantic number. Considering Beijing and Shanghai are the key government and economic centres amongst the 300 million, I'm not at all surprised the HSR line will become the busiest in the world.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/25/news...lass/index.htm
Especially since the third centre, Shenzhen, is somewhat more distant from either Beijing or Shanghai.

What would the distance be Guangzhou-Changsha-Nanchang-Hangzhou-Shanghai when Changsha-Nanchang-Hangzhou high speed railway shall have opened?
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #5519
China Hand

Drove by the Datong line today and scores of workers ascending to the track bed to work on ballast-less installs (I believe). Articulated concrete pumper trucks at the ready. No rail being laid that was visible.
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #5520
Silver Swordsman

Pics or it didn't happen. :P

Tags
china, high speed rail