daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5601
Norge78

Likes (Received): 388

Lanzhou-Urumqi high-speed railway to open in 2014

The country's first high-speed railway that is partly built on a plateau is expected to open by the end of next year, People's Daily reported on Thursday.

The 1,776-km Lanzhou-Urumqi high-speed railway links the two capitals of Gansu province and Xinjiang Uyghur autonomous region.

It runs through the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, which has complex geological situations that make the high-speed railway tunnel construction a difficult and risky project.

The report said the project's most difficult part is a 16-km section consisting of two railway tunnels and a bridge that run at a height of more than 3,600 meters.

Construction on the two tunnels started three years ago. Railway constructors said they aim to complete the two tunnels by the end of this year and have rail tracks laid through the two tunnels by April 30, 2014.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_16354846.htm

What speed (km/h) for this HSR new line?
Norge78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #5602
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4435

300-350

China Hand, FM 2258 liked this post
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #5603
chornedsnorkack

How has the progress of Xian-Baoji-Lanzhou high speed railway been?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #5604
Norge78

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
300-350

Frankly speaking it's hard to understand why this long HSR line, in the empty desert, should have a speed of 350 km/h when another HSR line, than can be used by a bigger population, linking Chengdu - Chongqing and Wuhan, has got a speed of just 200-250 km/h.

Last edited by Norge78; March 29th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Norge78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #5605
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norge78 View Post
Frankly speaking it's hard to understand why this HSR line in the desert should have a speed of 350 km/h when another HSR line, in a very populous area, linking Chengdu - Chongqing and Wuhan, is just 200-250 km/h.
It's probably because it's easier to build straight across a desert than through a built-up area.

China Hand liked this post
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #5606
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
It's probably because it's easier to build straight across a desert than through a built-up area.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #5607
China Hand

Quote:
The country's first high-speed railway that is partly built on a plateau is expected to open by the end of next year, People's Daily reported on Thursday.

The 1,776-km Lanzhou-Urumqi high-speed railway links the two capitals of Gansu province and Xinjiang Uyghur autonomous region.

It runs through the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, which has complex geological situations that make the high-speed railway tunnel construction a difficult and risky project.

The report said the project's most difficult part is a 16-km section consisting of two railway tunnels and a bridge that run at a height of more than 3,600 meters.

Construction on the two tunnels started three years ago. Railway constructors said they aim to complete the two tunnels by the end of this year and have rail tracks laid through the two tunnels by April 30, 2014.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_16354846.htm

What speed (km/h) for this HSR new line?
Based upon the Xi'an to Guangzhou line average speeds of 232 to 276 kph, trip times from Lanzhou to Ulumuqi will be 6h26m to 7h38m. When the Xi'an - Lanzhou line comes up in a few years travelers will be able to go from Shanghai to Urumqi in one (long) day. 1776 + 1536 = 3312 kms. 12 to 14 hours.

Flying will be cheaper and faster, but the view out the window will not be better...
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #5608
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Frankly speaking it's hard to understand why this long HSR line, in the empty desert, should have a speed of 350 km/h when another HSR line, than can be used by a bigger population, linking Chengdu - Chongqing and Wuhan, has got a speed of just 200-250 km/h.
Frankly speaking I don't think there is any economic justification for at all. This line is longer than Beijing-Shanghai for a fraction of the population, sparsely populated between the end stations. The people who can afford to take the HSR can afford to take a plane, and this route is not about to be congested any century soon.

Though in theory this could shave off a couple hours on the six-day Beijing-Moscow trip as an alternative to the Trans-Mongolian railway, but I am not sure if there is any useful connecting train from Ürümqi to the Russian main line.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #5609
China Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
Frankly speaking I don't think there is any economic justification for at all. This line is longer than Beijing-Shanghai for a fraction of the population, sparsely populated between the end stations. The people who can afford to take the HSR can afford to take a plane, and this route is not about to be congested any century soon.

Though in theory this could shave off a couple hours on the six-day Beijing-Moscow trip as an alternative to the Trans-Mongolian railway, but I am not sure if there is any useful connecting train from Ürümqi to the Russian main line.
There's tourism. Xi'an is one of the most popular destinations in Asia and a link to Urumqi and all of the historical sites along the route would be just the thing to appeal to the adventurous. Making that trip one day of seeing the unique Chinese countryside would be a great item on a tour.

I would definitely take it. The K train to Lanzhou from Xi'an is a numbing 7+ hours over night. Training it to Wulumuqi is 34+ hours. Ugh. But to hop it at 700am and arrive in Wulumuqi at 400pm? Sure, I would do that happily.
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #5610
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Frankly speaking I don't think there is any economic justification for at all. This line is longer than Beijing-Shanghai
Shorter than Beijing-Guangzhou (2105), Shijiazhuang-Guangzhou (1825) Xian-Guangzhou (1899) or Taiyuan-Guangzhou (2014)
Quote:
for a fraction of the population, sparsely populated between the end stations. The people who can afford to take the HSR can afford to take a plane, and this route is not about to be congested any century soon.
How popular have Xian-Guangzhou and Xian-Shenzhen high speed trains been?
Quote:
No such trains.
There are Alashankou and Khorgos crossings, and there are trains Urumqi-Astana and Urumqi-Almaty via Alashankou.

No direct trains Beijing-Alashankou exist. For the matter, neither do any direct trains Beijing-Kashgar or Beijing-Yining.
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #5611
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I'm glad the line to Urumqi will be designed for 350km/h. No need to run it slower. I would love to take that train ride. It would be an attraction in itself.

Does anyone know where it will have other stations along the way between Lanzhou and Urumqi? I imagine most trains would be non stop.

Not that it will happen, my fantasy, it would be fun to see the CRH500 on this route.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #5612
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Does anyone know where it will have other stations along the way between Lanzhou and Urumqi? I imagine most trains would be non stop.
I imagine no trains would be nonstop - because the express trains would stop at Xining (but they, I expect, would be nonstop Xining to Urumqi).

There shall be 31 stations on Lanzhou-Urumqi high speed railway:
Lanzhou West
Minhe
Ledu
Pingan
Xining
Datong West
Menyuan
Junmachang
Minle
Zhangye South
Linze South
Gaotai South
Qingshui North
Jiuquan South
Jiayuguan South
Qingquan South
Yumenzhen
Liugou South
Shibandun South
Liuyuan South
Hongliuhe South
Yandun East
Hami
Liushuquan South
Hongchen South
Tuha
Shanshan North
Turpan North
Daheyan
Yanhu West
Ürümqi
Ürümqi Ergong
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #5613
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:

I recall an article saying that the existing 120km/h Lanzhou-Urumqi line is already running over capacity, so they have to build a new line anyway to allow for more freight and passenger trains.

And given that any new line is going to be running mostly through flat desert in a very straight line, there's not too much difference between 200km/h and 350km/h passenger trains. So passenger traffic mainly transfers to the new HSR, which the frees up lots of freight capacity on the slower old line.
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #5614
China Hand

Those stops mean it is going to be a huge people mover PDL to handle local travel for people to the many small cities on the way. Freight from the border goes on the old lines and people take the ZHGT. 31 stops for 1776 kms (57km/stop) means not a lot of high speed cruising, but it will still get there quickly enough...
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #5615
China Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Not that it will happen, my fantasy, it would be fun to see the CRH500 on this route.
You just might. It is used to test long stretches of 350+ railway bed.
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #5616
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
Those stops mean it is going to be a huge people mover PDL to handle local travel for people to the many small cities on the way. Freight from the border goes on the old lines and people take the ZHGT.
Between Lanzhou and Zhangye, the HSL takes a different route, so the existing cities between Lanzhou and Zhangye must keep passenger service on old line.
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #5617
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
No such trains.
There are Alashankou and Khorgos crossings, and there are trains Urumqi-Astana and Urumqi-Almaty via Alashankou.

No direct trains Beijing-Alashankou exist. For the matter, neither do any direct trains Beijing-Kashgar or Beijing-Yining.
In a way that is too bad. Back in the days of unbridled optimism, they talked about direct HSR from Beijing to Prague or London. Ürümqi is 1/3 of the way to Moscow. In theory it should cut those 6 days into 4 1/2, but in practice there is no benefit for trans-continental travel. Not yet anyway.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #5618
stoneybee

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:

No, the significance of this rail link is the same as the trans-american railway of the USA that was built 100 years ago. There will not be an US west coast economy of today without that railway, and China is doing the same with today's railroad technology. You will see a lot of industry mitgration from coastal provinces to the western region in the next 30 years once the transportation links becomes more mature in this part of China. This is a long term strategic play and Xinjiang is no Tibet because it is actually a very good place to live and with huge amount of natural resources.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
stoneybee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #5619
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
Those stops mean it is going to be a huge people mover PDL to handle local travel for people to the many small cities on the way. Freight from the border goes on the old lines and people take the ZHGT. 31 stops for 1776 kms (57km/stop) means not a lot of high speed cruising, but it will still get there quickly enough...
I'm pretty certain that there will be a mix of non-stop and stopping trains on the line, because there will be a lot of spare capacity at the beginning so they can easily mix those trains.

An established example where express and local HSR services operate is the Tokaido Shinkansen, where there are 17 stops over 515km.
Old March 30th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #5620
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneybee View Post
No, the significance of this rail link is the same as the trans-american railway of the USA that was built 100 years ago. There will not be an US west coast economy of today without that railway, and China is doing the same with today's railroad technology. You will see a lot of industry mitgration from coastal provinces to the western region in the next 30 years once the transportation links becomes more mature in this part of China. This is a long term strategic play and Xinjiang is no Tibet because it is actually a very good place to live and with huge amount of natural resources.
I'm afraid I don't agree with that analysis.

Before the trans-continental railroad to California, the travel options were an overland horse or a boat from a port in the East. So you can see how transformational the railroad was.

The equivalent in Xinjiang was when the original Lanzhou to Xinjiang railroad was completed in 1966. But now this railway is overloaded, so they need another set of tracks.

As for industry, the HSR still won't make Xinjiang a competitive location for industry because rail freight to a port over 3000km away is way too expensive.

So I think HSR in Xinjiang will just support a continuation of growth, and create a string of more connected and prosperous cities along the railway line.

Tags
china, high speed rail