daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #5741
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

ID checks are needed to prevent scalping, which was common in China before this policy was implemented. This has nothing to do with communism--it is to prevent people with shady intentions from ripping off honest people trying to get a ride home.

I give China thumbs up for the move.

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #5742
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

But it would be better if they also let foreigners buy tickets in advance with their foreign passport/ID, preferably on an English language website.

Anyone know if there are any plans for this?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #5743
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
The topic of this thread is HSR in China, not political systems or Communism. If it goes to such offtopic call it what you want (if not trolling) but it's not meant to be discussed here which is why it has been brought to the attention of forum moderators.
It's still in relation to the topic at hand, ID checks for riding the railways.
Old April 14th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #5744
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

I think things will change in europe in that regard as the hsr network is getting expanded. The european network will be made into one, and then youmight need to show your passport/ID because of countries like britain. But its just a hunsh anyway...

Same thing might apply to the chinese hsr in case it goes international. In the long run at least. Right now they'll just dump you off the train (like between singapore and malaysia), leaving you in a queue for 20-30 minuts.. But thats so rigorous!
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #5745
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannor View Post
Same thing might apply to the chinese hsr in case it goes international. In the long run at least. Right now they'll just dump you off the train (like between singapore and malaysia), leaving you in a queue for 20-30 minuts.. But thats so rigorous!
Chinese low speed rail already is international. And the high speed rail goes international when Futian-Kowloon West high speed railway shall open.

Which Chinese low speed railway stations now have direct train services to Kowloon Station, and what are the border crossing arrangements?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #5746
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I wouldn't count Hong Kong as truly international. Other than that I know that there is a regular speed passenger connection to Mongolia and Russia. Are there any at the moment to other neighbouring countries?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #5747
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Other than that I know that there is a regular speed passenger connection to Mongolia and Russia. Are there any at the moment to other neighbouring countries?
Kazakhstan - at least Urumqi-Almaty
Vietnam, via Pingxiang

At the moment, not sure about the services to Democratic People´s Republic of Korea. I expect trains are running, just not taking foreign passengers.
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #5748
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
It's still in relation to the topic at hand, ID checks for riding the railways.
ID checks are recent (2010) procedure, in an effort to combat scalping making online ticketing, purchasing from vending machines, buying tickets from legit 3rd party resellers possible. It has nothing to do with political systems, or else democratic America won't check your ID when you board a plane either.

If you have ridden the train in the bad old days, you'll appreciate ID check. when you either have wait hours at the ticket window to get the ticket or buying it from scalpers, board the train only to discover the ticket you brought is fake and must buy a unreserved (standing) ticket once on board. (happened to me once.)

Last edited by luhai; April 15th, 2013 at 05:55 AM.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #5749
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

CRH photo by zhhcmbl

Huti liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #5750
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
It's not a problem for airlines, is it? Nothing truly new needs to be invented here. Buy your ticket online, pay with your credit/debit card (if needed the system could put a limit to the number of tickets one can buy with one card), print your ticket with your name and a bar code on it, show your ID upon boarding a train. I don't see how scalpers would get around it easily...
Buy something with a credit card in China... Have you even being to China? I know more people pay stuff using Q Coins than those that has and use credit cards, or have checking accounts. Majority of people's interaction with Banks are CDs (定期存款) and possibly savings accounts (活期存款). Outside of few shops and foreign owned business in big cities like Beijing and Shanghai, credit cards are not accepted, and when they are used, it's often the foreigners that's using it.

okay, let's go back HSR.

Last edited by luhai; April 15th, 2013 at 06:23 AM.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #5751
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
I wouldn't count Hong Kong as truly international. Other than that I know that there is a regular speed passenger connection to Mongolia and Russia. Are there any at the moment to other neighbouring countries?
For it to be truly international high-speed rail it should be high-speed on both sides of the border and have a reasonable way of doing border control. As I have heard of no activity on the Russian or Mongolian side I assume the first one will be Kunming-Laos. If that one is for some reason delayed Kunming-Vietnam or less likely Nanning-Vietnam could be the first. Kunming seems set to be the high-speed (and to less extent air) gate to SE Asia.

I speculated on Ürümqi-Almaty/Astana which lead to a discussion continued here, rail gauges and all. A HSR Jilin-Seoul or possibly Dandong-Seoul would make a lot of sense technically, but not likely to happen unless there is a major attitude change on the North Korean side.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #5752
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai View Post
okay, let's go back HSR.
Indeed.

It is 15th already.

How has the spring weather been in Manchuria?

And what are the plans regarding the speed of Harbin-Shenyang-Dalian high speed railway?
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #5753
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannor View Post
Right now they'll just dump you off the train (like between singapore and malaysia), leaving you in a queue for 20-30 minuts.. But thats so rigorous!
I think you are being sarcastic? 20 minutes to queue for a train is nothing to make a connection. People wait at the gates in China, standing, for longer to board a CRH.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #5754
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
But it would be better if they also let foreigners buy tickets in advance with their foreign passport/ID, preferably on an English language website.
They already do this with 12306.cn and it is in Chinese. Many sites in China have an English counterpart but current translations are very weak at best. Google Chrome and its many flavours all offer right click translation in scores of languages including Chinese. You can use a foreign passport and register and get an account as I have, and order tickets using Alipay to pay for them. When you board there is a line for the Rail Office purchased tickets and the online purchased tickets as the two are visibly different.

As has been mentioned many times the ID check began when lots of people began to use 12306 to buy up huge lots of tickets and then scalp them to travelers. To minimise this they require one ID per each ticket unless it's a child and even then most children in China have an ID.

Since the language and cultural hurdles are massive for all non-Chinese, many travelers to China who wish to get tickets before arrival use an agent. It's much much more expensive than standing at a window yourself, but most travelers to China cannot navigate the process so the money is well spent.

If you have a friend in China they can buy it for you in advance, but the ID issue comes up.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #5755
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Why is the website called 12306? I've noticed some websites and even Chinese forum usernames are just numbers sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
CRH photo by zhhcmbl

My two favorite CRH trains in one picture. CRH5 and CRH3.

Last edited by FM 2258; April 16th, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #5756
Bannor

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
I think you are being sarcastic? 20 minutes to queue for a train is nothing to make a connection. People wait at the gates in China, standing, for longer to board a CRH.
Well, I haven't taken a cross border train to China (except the eastern railroad in Hong Kong leaving me at the border in Shenzhen, but I'm not sure that counts.

On the Singapore - Malaysia cross border train we all got tossed off to jump into a passport line for aproximately 25 minutes, so I'm assuming it will take around the same time on lines such at the Kunming - Laos line. The traffic there will probably not be as bad as in some of the major cities, and less cars too.

And you can't compare it to "waiting for a train". I'm talking about when you have a ticket, and the provider has a train ready waiting for the passenger. I assume thats how it will be on lines like the Kunming - Vientiane line.
Bannor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #5757
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

Why is the website called 12306? I've noticed some websites and even Chinese forum usernames are just numbers sometimes.
12306 is the MOR's toll free number.

FM 2258 liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #5758
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
12306 is the MOR's toll free number.
Thanks, that makes sense.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #5759