daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #5761
admns

Likes (Received): 3

Nanjing-Hangzhou High-Speed Railway test run

Last edited by admns; April 16th, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
admns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #5762
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by admns View Post
When xiamen shenzen section will open?

Anyone?
October 2013
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #5763
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Last time it was said to open in July 2013. But what would the trip time be after opening?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #5764
Huti
bitte spiel mir etwas

Likes (Received): 19976

Win XP?????

Huti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #5765
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huti View Post
Win XP?????
XP is actually a pretty robust OS.

Huti liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #5766
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
Not for domestic flights you don't.
I have traveled all around the world and I do not recall a single nation asking for my passport information when traveling domestically after I had passed immigration.
Sorry your argument doesn't fly.
You still need a form of government issued photo ID to travel on domestic flights, for example in the US you are required to present your driver's license or state ID card, if you are a foreign national then you'll have to show TSA your passport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai View Post
Buy something with a credit card in China... Have you even being to China? I know more people pay stuff using Q Coins than those that has and use credit cards, or have checking accounts. Majority of people's interaction with Banks are CDs (定期存款) and possibly savings accounts (活期存款). Outside of few shops and foreign owned business in big cities like Beijing and Shanghai, credit cards are not accepted, and when they are used, it's often the foreigners that's using it.

okay, let's go back HSR.
Credit card is pretty widely used in China now, almost all checking accounts now comes with a UnionPay debit card, most employers direct deposit paychecks to employees' checking accounts which are linked to the UnionPay cards. Visa, Master, and Amex are all very common in cities, but UnionPay is pretty much universal everywhere. Even small family owned restaurants in smaller towns have a POS machine that accepts UnionPay cards.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #5767
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huti View Post
Win XP?????
There are many Fortune 500 companies that are still using Windows 2000.

Quote:
Shoe covers, seriously?

Huti liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #5768
luhai167

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Credit card is pretty widely used in China now, almost all checking accounts now comes with a UnionPay debit card, most employers direct deposit paychecks to employees' checking accounts which are linked to the UnionPay cards. Visa, Master, and Amex are all very common in cities, but UnionPay is pretty much universal everywhere. Even small family owned restaurants in smaller towns have a POS machine that accepts UnionPay cards.
UnionPay are not credits cards (no debt), it is linked to 活期存款 (which I see as saving accounts, since you can't write a check against it, or transfer it between individuals), you also needs to enter a pin every time you use. From from what I have seen, out of wealth people and people of the professional class (maybe 20-30% of urban population) people just use plain cash and CD in banks. If you look are online purchases, where credit card would make the most sense, it barely even registers.

http://chineseseoshifu.com/blog/onli...ods-china.html

In any case, you can't expect government to replie only on credit/debt to identify people when purchasing ticket to get around the scalper. (which is the post I'm responding to) Doing so will shut out vast majority of people, since most people in China doesn't own credit cards.
luhai167 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #5769
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

-China has the largest installed base of XP in the world. If it is not broken, do not fix it.

-Shoe booties are for cleanliness as the train is on a test run and not for the public, yet. Those people are high rollers and the connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai167 View Post
From from what I have seen, out of wealth people and people of the professional class (maybe 20-30% of urban population) people just use plain cash and CD in banks. If you look are online purchases, where credit card would make the most sense, it barely even registers. Doing so will shut out vast majority of people, since most people in China doesn't own credit cards.
Many Chinese do not trust credit cards or any online transaction.

Some have a wallet full, to impress, but as a rule cash and CD's are used mostly. To buy online you can put money in the bank and it is transferred to the ebay like account and purchases made that way as a cash wire transfer.

99% of purchases are made face-to-face using cash.

Huti liked this post
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #5770
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
UnionPay are not credits cards (no debt), it is linked to 活期存款
Fun fact: I obviously can't speak for what he was thinking when he said it, but I can point out that often, we (maybe just in the US?) use "credit cards" for anything plastic. Even if it is a debit card (which can often still be used as credit cards).
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5771
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
You still need a form of government issued photo ID to travel on domestic flights, for example in the US you are required to present your driver's license or state ID card, if you are a foreign national then you'll have to show TSA your passport.
This used to not be the case. But after 2001...
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #5772
hmmwv

Quote:
UnionPay are not credits cards (no debt), it is linked to 活期存款 (which I see as saving accounts, since you can't write a check against it, or transfer it between individuals), you also needs to enter a pin every time you use. From from what I have seen, out of wealth people and people of the professional class (maybe 20-30% of urban population) people just use plain cash and CD in banks. If you look are online purchases, where credit card would make the most sense, it barely even registers.

http://chineseseoshifu.com/blog/onli...ods-china.html

In any case, you can't expect government to replie only on credit/debt to identify people when purchasing ticket to get around the scalper. (which is the post I'm responding to) Doing so will shut out vast majority of people, since most people in China doesn't own credit cards.
You are right about UnionPay is not credit, but in its current form it's a debit card, just like we have Visa and MasterCard debit cards. So it can be used in the same way as a credit card. The issue at hand is whether the ticketing system can be modified in a way so it's easier to purchase tickets via kiosk or online, since UnionPay is already accepted as a payment method all the necessary infrastructure is there, all they have to do is to accept Visa, MC, and Amex.

Obvious Chinese citizens can already purchase tickets online because they can enter their second gen ID number and pick up the tickets at the railway station kiosk by swiping their ID. It'll be more difficult for foreigners since there is no easy way to remotely validate our identities. Funny thing is that when I purchase a ticket in person all the ticket counter agent does is inputting my name and passport#, they are not checking it against any sort of database anyway. Thankgod there are so many ticketing offices around most Chinese cities so I have never had to travel to the railway station to purchase a ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Fun fact: I obviously can't speak for what he was thinking when he said it, but I can point out that often, we (maybe just in the US?) use "credit cards" for anything plastic. Even if it is a debit card (which can often still be used as credit cards).
Yeah I should have said plastic, since UnionPay is used in the same fashion as a Visa Debit Card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post
Many Chinese do not trust credit cards or any online transaction.

Some have a wallet full, to impress, but as a rule cash and CD's are used mostly. To buy online you can put money in the bank and it is transferred to the ebay like account and purchases made that way as a cash wire transfer.

99% of purchases are made face-to-face using cash.
I wouldn't say 99% because from what I have observed in cities at least a quarter of purchases are made using UnionPay cards. Chinese people are also very open to online purchases nowadays due to the availability of Alipay, it's often linked to their UnionPay account to transfer money, exactly like how PayPal works here in the States.

I think the only one complaining about the ticket buying experience are non Chinese citizens, because for Chinese they can just go to a railway kiosk, swip their ID and UnionPay card and get the ticket right there, a station often have 50 or so kiosks so a line is only five minute long. If they buy online and pick up at the station it's even quicker. I think even at large stations such as Hongqiao if you have the ticket in hand arriving 15 minutes before departure time is plenty to catch the train, if you bought it online and need to pick it up you should prepare 20 minutes, if you need to buy one right there then leave at least half an hour (well in a lot of cases it's too late anyway because it's sold out).
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #5773
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
That's absolutely true. When I wrote credit cards I meant any plastic cards with which it is possible to pay online and not exclusively Visa & Mastercard. Online marketplace might still be undeveloped in China, but unless there is a big crisis on horizon this is bound to change.

And let me reiterate that no one here is advocating that being the only or even the main way of paying for tickets and validating one's identity. I was only suggesting it as one of the options!

On a more "train" subject - when is HSR scheduled to reach Chongqing? Quick inspection of the map indicates that it is currently the biggest Chinese city without such a service. Will there be a direct service from there to Shanghai or Guangzhou?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #5774
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
On a more "train" subject - when is HSR scheduled to reach Chongqing? Quick inspection of the map indicates that it is currently the biggest Chinese city without such a service.
High speed railways Chongqing-Suining and Chongqing-Lichuan are under construction. How is the progress, and when are they due for opening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Will there be a direct service from there to Shanghai or Guangzhou?
Not clear.

Yichang has direct service to Shanghai - but for some reason, none to Guangzhou, Changsha or Zhengzhou.
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #5775
Banu22elos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

This station looks so massive, it resembles a stadium.
Banu22elos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5776
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

E-commerce is HUGE in China...
It's a bigger market than in the US, last I heard.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #5777
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
High speed railways Chongqing-Suining and Chongqing-Lichuan are under construction. How is the progress, and when are they due for opening?
Chongqing-Suining Railway Second Line was opened on Dec 30, 2012. Chongqing-Lichuan is under construction and on schedule, it's set to be completed by August 31st, 2013. Static acceptance review will be on Sept 25th, joint calibration and testing on Oct 1st, commercial operation starts on Dec 31st.
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #5778
Xtartrex
Your nemesis

One thing I really dislike in China is the protectionism(I mean no offense, we also do it in the states at some degree), can't they act normal just like the rest of the world? Visa, Amex and MasterCard are accepted worldwide, with very little exceptions, these setbacks are counter productive rather than helping.
Xtartrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #5779
chornedsnorkack

From
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=5160

Quote:
On March 14, the CRC, which took over the commercial functions of the former MOR, went into business.

The corporation said it is mobilizing resources to ensure the completion of key projects on schedule. The passenger lines between Nanjing and Hangzhou, Hangzhou and Ningbo, Tianjin and Qinhuangdao and Panjin and Yingkou have gone through technical examinations.

According to the national plan, China will invest 520 billion yuan in railway infrastructure this year and 5,200 km of new lines will be put into use.
How is the current progress of Tianjin-Qinhuangdao, and when is that high speed line due to open?
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #5780
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtartrex View Post
One thing I really dislike in China is the protectionism(I mean no offense, we also do it in the states at some degree), can't they act normal just like the rest of the world? Visa, Amex and MasterCard are accepted worldwide, with very little exceptions, these setbacks are counter productive rather than helping.
What part are they not acting normally as the rest of the world? Visa, Amex and MC are accepted in China, they are issued by many Chinese banks. They charge higher fees than local solutions such as UnionPay that's why most merchants use that. Since UnionPay is not accepted everywhere in the US, should the US be called protectionist because they are helping Visa and Amex? Speaking of protectionism there is no clearer example than US blocking Huaiwei and ZTE, but that's completely OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
From
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=5160

How is the current progress of Tianjin-Qinhuangdao, and when is that high speed line due to open?
This line is progressing nicely, static acceptance was completed on March 29th, so it's still ontime for opening in August.

Tags
china, high speed rail