daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #5961
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

by 高铁见闻

FM 2258, El_Greco liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #5962
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdolniak View Post
Train braking down is one thing, but the problem with the air inside such train when the A/C is not working must be awful. See article from Spiegel about broken down air-conditioning systems on German high-speed trains from 2010: http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-706889.html

How it is done in Japan, France or other countries? Do passengers also are suffering in such situation?
I was on a train from Berlin to Warsaw in 2005 and they came round with a special key to open the normally sealed top bit of the window. Not that all trains have that, it would appear this one had retrofitted aircon so they could still open.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:36 AM   #5963
gdolniak
Mememe...

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
I was on a train from Berlin to Warsaw in 2005 and they came round with a special key to open the normally sealed top bit of the window. Not that all trains have that, it would appear this one had retrofitted aircon so they could still open.
But that train wasn't high-speed train. I wonder, if for safety reasons, such windows cannot be installed in a typical high-speed train.
gdolniak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:15 AM   #5964
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdolniak View Post
But that train wasn't high-speed train. I wonder, if for safety reasons, such windows cannot be installed in a typical high-speed train.
You would think there would be another type of hatch somewhere they could open to let some air in.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:24 AM   #5965
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

I wonder why didn't they just use the doors.. ? I am sure there is a manual way to open them. Funny event
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:33 AM   #5966
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

here're some pics of the incident.

from 中华火车迷部落
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:15 AM   #5967
gdolniak
Mememe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
I wonder why didn't they just use the doors.. ? I am sure there is a manual way to open them. Funny event
Not really funny. Sitting in a car with very hot temperature inside might end up tragic for some people. Few years back (I can't find an article about it), there was a problem with the conditioning in a high-speed train in Germany. Some people had to be hospitalized after that incident. I was hoping that there is some sort of backup plan for such events other than braking windows.
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5968
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The air-conditioning system is up to industrial standards, as it needs to be able to cool gigantic areas around the clock. The opening of windows is the fallback, should the air conditioning fail. If it's impossible to open windows and the airco system malfunctions, the train is supposed to be taken out of service.
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:53 PM   #5969
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

I presume the train is airtight, so if the A/C breaks and you can't open the doors or windows, could people suffocate to death?
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:15 PM   #5970
gdolniak
Mememe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
I presume the train is airtight, so if the A/C breaks and you can't open the doors or windows, could people suffocate to death?
Maybe not suffocate, but think about small children, elderly or people with some diseases. If the train would stop somewhere in an open space, under a scorching sun... That's maybe going to extreme.
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:10 AM   #5971
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Except that it's not funny at all and incredibly dangerous
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:23 AM   #5972
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
The air-conditioning system is up to industrial standards, as it needs to be able to cool gigantic areas around the clock. The opening of windows is the fallback, should the air conditioning fail. If it's impossible to open windows and the airco system malfunctions, the train is supposed to be taken out of service.
The train broke down in a tunnel so the problem is how to provide adequate air circulation while the train has lost propulsion in an emergency. It's a CRH1 so the doors can be opened manually without power by the crew. I think if they systematically opening all of the doors and reposition vulnerable passengers closer to the doors the situation could have been improved. My speculation is that communication was poor during the incident, which is always a problem, and some passengers became agitated and broke the window. I don't think it's broken out of necessity, but more out of frustration. What puzzled me is why did it take five hours to send a DF4 to tow the EMU away? Surely they can find a diesel quicker than that. Breakdowns such as this is still pretty rare, but CRC should start thinking about prepositioning emergency rescue diesels along important lines.
Old June 1st, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5973
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5968

I wonder, isn't it possible to break open the windows in case of emergency? Thats what the ICE and all air-tight trains in Austria feature. Of course, before people were suffocating to death I am sure it is always possible to emergency open the doors at the very least.

It appears to me however that the Chinese Railway needs to invest more on emergency training of its personal. Accidents and breakdowns should be events where the personal knows exactly what to do for preventing any potentially health endangering events as much as possible. Communication witht he passengers is also very important. Things like these break downs are always unpleasant but if the communication is good, this can do a lot to relief frustration of the passengers at least to some extend.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...telle_ICE1.jpg

Quote:
I find your comment highly offensive. Get a life, instead of laughing about the misery of others or potentially life threatening events.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; June 1st, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5974
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
It appears to me however that the Chinese Railway needs to invest more on emergency training of its personal. Accidents and breakdowns should be events where the personal knows exactly what to do for preventing any potentially health endangering events as much as possible. Communication with he passengers is also very important. Things like these break downs are always unpleasant but if the communication is good, this can do a lot to relief frustration of the passengers at least to some extend.
There are profound, extensive, deep and pervasive cultural issues that are beyond the scope of this forum, that apply to situations like this.

Entire libraries are currently being filled with books on the topic.

It is likely that emergency training is not the solution.

Just to barely skim the topic, staff may not wish to instruct passengers to break glass as the staff may lose part of their annual bonus. Or they may wish to avoid any decision at all.

What I tell people such as yourself is this:
Imagine how things are done on planet earth. Now imagine every single aspect of life being done in the entirely opposite fashion.
That is China.

Not appropriate topic for discussing here.

================================

Back on topic:
I hope that the CRH lines from Changsha to Shanghai/Kunming are running this summer. I want to travel via CRH there!
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:33 PM   #5975
Norge78

Likes (Received): 388

Nothing new, We've already seen scenes like this in Europe.

And not just here

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...113_91058.html

Last edited by Norge78; June 1st, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
Norge78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:29 PM   #5976
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5968

Well, I think emergency procedures are a valid point to debate in a Rail thread. No question, there is a big cultural divide but for having a functioning rail system (and that is even more the case for high speed rail) it is not sufficient to have a well working system during regular conditions. Also the ability to cope with malfunctions in a damage limiting and efficient way matters.

If necessary, these things have to be considered in they pay scheme.

And just to make one thing clear. Its not like everything is perfect in Europe either. Mess ups do happen and sometimes it also costs lives. But if that happens it is important to analyse the situations and see if in the future they can be prevented or handled in a better way.
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:53 PM   #5977
Xtartrex
Your nemesis

You can yell as much as you want and try as hard as you can to cool things down, but the biggest enemy is not lack of training, it's uneducated people that will always bring the worst out of any situation. I get it that some do need special attention but when you see people jumping in front of you be at the airport, train station, restaurant, and so on, you get a bigger picture of the real problem.

As for the CHR quality, it does not seem to be inferior to its counterparts in other countries, but it will be necessary to review the causes, specially now that a great wave of people is about to hit every transportation method nationwide.
Xtartrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:55 PM   #5978
Xtartrex
Your nemesis

I forgot to mention, I have taken the CRH to Beijing several times, and most of the time there are two locomotives, I thought it was a rule.
Xtartrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:54 AM   #5979
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:

I find your comment highly offensive. Get a life, instead of laughing about the misery of others or potentially life threatening events.
It is a hilarious event. There is nothing life threatening here. It is similar to fail videos on youtube And I bet this window braking happened out of rage.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 04:38 PM   #5980
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:

Nah he's a little wumao-esque and as such this event was just a funny 'youtube-like fail'

Tags
china, high speed rail