daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2013, 05:32 PM   #5981
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
It is a hilarious event. There is nothing life threatening here. It is similar to fail videos on youtube And I bet this window braking happened out of rage.
Obviously you are young, in perfect health, and as Oscar Wilde wrote, know everything.

Many people over 45 or those in poor health, can NOT withstand extended times in a hot unventilated box. They may die or have heat stress, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, heart attacks or other issues.

If I were in this situation I would need to get out, because the heat would be bad for my health to a dangerous extent.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:30 PM   #5982
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Guys, easy... You guys don't get me. By just looking at pictures what I see couple windows are broken in a train with capacity over 1000 people. And one of those windows are broken open others are just shattered. This indicates "rage" rather than necessity. People could have asked for the doors to open right? Breaking a window require more effort than asking or forcing the doors open....

And breaking a window out of rage is funny.. well at least for me. I wished to see a video of it. :P

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-...ou-ll-ever-see

FM 2258 liked this post
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:49 AM   #5983
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

The doors open would have been of little help, if you've ever been stuck on a train that's had an airconditioning failiure, it gets very hot very fast. The fact that it was in a tunnel and there are only small doors at the end of the cars (due to being an express train) meant that there would have been very little airflow at all
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:04 AM   #5984
Jerrodwhite
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

I think China is amazing country, which has managed to set up a great rail link. And of course I keep on hearing that it has created fastest trains. Good luck for this country for future creations!
Jerrodwhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:21 AM   #5985
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrodwhite View Post
I think China is amazing country, which has managed to set up a great rail link. And of course I keep on hearing that it has created fastest trains. Good luck for this country for future creations!
lol
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:46 AM   #5986
gdolniak
Mememe...

Likes (Received): 29

Passengers delayed after pigeon slams into train

Passengers delayed after pigeon slams into train
(Shanghai Daily)
14:33, June 03, 2013

Half of the windshield has been broken when the train arrives at Nanjing station. (Photo/ZJTV)

PASSENGERS on the Hangzhou-Beijing high-speed railway were delayed yesterday when a pigeon flew into a train's windshield and broke it, Modern Express reported.

The train was about to depart from Zhenjiang South Railway Station in Jiangsu Province at about 11:55am yesterday when the pigeon slammed into the windshield. The train continued to Nanjing South Railway Station. By this point, the windshield needed to be repaired and the train was taken out of service. All passengers were forced to change to another train, the report said.

No one was injured in the accident.

"Half of the windshield was broken when the train arrived and you could see the blood," a passenger surnamed Qian, who had been waiting for the train at Nanjing South Railway Station, was quoted as saying. "The train we transferred to departed at 12:40pm, which was a 45-minute delay for us."

The railway authority said the windshield, which consists of six layers, was made of bulletproof decelerating glass and had been fully examined, according to Modern Express.

A physics engineer told the newspaper that when a bird weighing 250 grams crashes into a train at 300 kilometers per hour, the impact it causes equals that of a 300 kilogram object, the report said.

http://english.people.com.cn/90882/8268680.html

FM 2258 liked this post
gdolniak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:49 AM   #5987
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdolniak View Post
A physics engineer told the newspaper that when a bird weighing 250 grams crashes into a train at 300 kilometers per hour, the impact it causes equals that of a 300 kilogram object, the report said.
A 300 kilogram object at what speed?
Old June 3rd, 2013, 12:05 PM   #5988
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Zero

RIP the pigeon
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 03:35 PM   #5989
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Pretty interesting. Never heard of a bird strike by a Shinkansen.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:02 PM   #5990
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Low quality glass for the win!
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:04 PM   #5991
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Zero

So gently laying a 300 kilogram pigeon-sized object on a CRH windshield will cause it to break?
Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:34 PM   #5992
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

That's quite a lot, I weigh about 100 kg and I wouldn't trust myself standing on one foot on the glass of any windscreen. (One foot is roughly the size of a pigeon)
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:12 PM   #5993
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
Low quality glass for the win!
Is it really low quality glass or if this happened on another Velaro(at least it looks like one, CRH3) type train in another country (German ICE, Spanish AVE) would the same result happen from a bird strike?
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:18 PM   #5994
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

On the Chinese Discovery Channel documenting the CRH380A, they tested new windshields with chicken cannons fired at 400km/h. The windshield survived without a scratch.

Unless the CRH3C/Velaro glass isn't future-proofed the way the 380A is, the only thing I can say is poor workmanship.

FM 2258 liked this post
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:21 PM   #5995
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

KE=.5 mv2

KE = .5 X .250 X 83.3^2

KE = .5 X .250 X 6939

KE = .125 X 6939

KE = 867 Joules

867 = 300 X n^2
2.89 = n^2
n = ~ 1.7 m/s, 6.12km/hour

Walking speed. 6km/hour is fast human walking speed.

Still, I think they should up the engineering requirements a bit. +20% easily.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:28 PM   #5996
Peloso

Likes (Received): 247

Really sorry for the pigeon. They should organize classes for Chinese birds to instruct them about the new realities and dangers of high-speed train development.

FM 2258 liked this post
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:57 PM   #5997
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
On the Chinese Discovery Channel documenting the CRH380A, they tested new windshields with chicken cannons fired at 400km/h. The windshield survived without a scratch.

Unless the CRH3C/Velaro glass isn't future-proofed the way the 380A is, the only thing I can say is poor workmanship.
380A designed for higher speed so I am pretty sure they are different and I watched that documentary, too. they specifically say previous windshield wouldn't survive this and performed same experiment with old windshield which ended up shattering.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:27 PM   #5998
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtartrex View Post
I forgot to mention, I have taken the CRH to Beijing several times, and most of the time there are two locomotives, I thought it was a rule.
The train is an EMU trainset so there will be multiple power cars with at one driving car at each end of the train, if it's two 8-car trainsets linked together there will be four driving cars. It's the same for almost all EMUs worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

The doors open would have been of little help, if you've ever been stuck on a train that's had an airconditioning failiure, it gets very hot very fast. The fact that it was in a tunnel and there are only small doors at the end of the cars (due to being an express train) meant that there would have been very little airflow at all
I wasn't sure whether it was an evening train but if the breakdown started during daytime being in the tunnel it actually helped as the train was kept out of the sun. I think the problem is also the glass partitioning doors at each end of the passenger compartment, unless there is an organized effort to keep all doors opened airflow will be almost impossible.

Quote:

I don't think that window is completely intact, the windows are designed to prevent penetration, not 100% shatterproof, so as long as the bird didn't go through the window met its design specification.
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #5999
SAS 16

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Is it really low quality glass or if this happened on another Velaro(at least it looks like one, CRH3) type train in another country (German ICE, Spanish AVE) would the same result happen from a bird strike?
from spain

FM 2258, Silver Swordsman liked this post
SAS 16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #6000
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
380A designed for higher speed so I am pretty sure they are different and I watched that documentary, too. they specifically say previous windshield wouldn't survive this and performed same experiment with old windshield which ended up shattering.
That documentary wasn't particularly good at being precise. By using vague language, they may as well have been referring to glass used on old locomotives from the 1960's. What is a 'previous windshield'?

They need to be questioned more

Silly_Walks liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail