daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 20th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #7061
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,975
Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhzz View Post
Ok,I'll add it in.

Panjin-Yingkou 89km
Wuhan-Xianning 90km

Total:3174 +89 +90=3353km
Should Pi county west-Pengzhou high speed railway also be counted in 2013?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #7062
hhzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Guilin
Posts: 428
Likes (Received): 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
That's great news. I was in Guilin and Yangshuo in July 2012 and it was a bit tricky to get there. A high speed train would be a huge improvement!
Guilin will have high speed trains operation at the end of this month,and Yangshuo have to wait until Guiyang-Guangzhou HSR completion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Should Pi county west-Pengzhou high speed railway also be counted in 2013?
Which line is it?Never heard about it.

Last edited by hhzz; December 20th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
hhzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #7063
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,975
Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhzz View Post
Which line is it?Never heard about it.
It is a new branch of Chengdu-Pi county west-Dujiangyan high speed railway.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #7064
big-dog
Registered User
 
big-dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,080
Likes (Received): 6840

it's called Chengdu-Pengzhou fast rail, a 21 km fast commuter rail, design speed 200kmph, initial speed 120 kmph.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:59 AM   #7065
foxmulder
Registered User
 
foxmulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,135
Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhzz View Post
Datong-Xi'an HSR constructions in North China,December 2013.
1.

2.

3.

---From peoplerail.com

This line will be great for the connection between these two points. It will be a five fold decrease from ~16hr to ~3hr.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7066
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,975
Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
This line will be great for the connection between these two points. It will be a five fold decrease from ~16hr to ~3hr.
It shall also connect both via Taiyuan.
I see that there are now 9 trains Taiyuan to Xian, taking between 8:17 and 11:51, and 7 trains Taiyuan to Datong, taking between 5:24 and 6:10. What shall be the trip time Taiyuan-Xian by high speed railway?
Also, how is the progress of Xian-Baoji?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:10 PM   #7067
xinxingren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 269
Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Also, how is the progress of Xian-Baoji?

This story says running speed tests were OK as of December 17
xinxingren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:15 AM   #7068
33Hz
Registered User
 
33Hz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 436
Likes (Received): 47

What's the design lifetime of the many concrete viaducts that are being built on these lines?
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:44 AM   #7069
foxmulder
Registered User
 
foxmulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,135
Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
What's the design lifetime of the many concrete viaducts that are being built on these lines?
100 years.
__________________

FM 2258 liked this post
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:07 AM   #7070
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,975
Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinxingren View Post
This story says running speed tests were OK as of December 17
Are they advanced far enough to allow opening for scheduled service this month?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:08 AM   #7071
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
 
VECTROTALENZIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,236
Likes (Received): 4435

So after 100 years they will tear down everything?
__________________
_
VECTROTALENZIS liked this post
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:36 AM   #7072
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,975
Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
So after 100 years they will tear down everything?
What happens to railways at the end of their design lifetime?
The whole Beijing-Shanghai railway save the Nanjing bridge was completed by 1912. Have the bridges and viaducts reached their end of design lifetime? And is China tearing it down?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:28 AM   #7073
big-dog
Registered User
 
big-dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,080
Likes (Received): 6840

the Nanjing Yangtze River railway/road bridge was built in Dec 1968. I don't think I can see a railway bridge/viaduct in China which was built in 1912.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7074
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,975
Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
the Nanjing Yangtze River railway/road bridge was built in Dec 1968.
As I said. It was built long after all the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
I don't think I can see a railway bridge/viaduct in China which was built in 1912.
The mainlines are like:
Beijing-Tianjin built 1897-1900
Beijing-Hankou built 1897-1906
Shanghai-Nanjing built 1905-1908
Tianjin-Pukou built 1908-1912

These must have had many bridges and viaducts because it was only Yangtze that was unbridged and crossed by ferries. For example both Beijing-Hankou and Tianjin-Pukou had to have bridges over Huanghe.

What happened to the original bridges and viaducts?
How old are the bridges and viaducts that now stand on the old railways?
And how were they built?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:21 PM   #7075
DvW
德明
 
DvW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Breda, The Netherlands
Posts: 5,299
Likes (Received): 1606

Not sure if someone heard of it before, I just read about it today:

Quote:
DEC. 22, 2013, 11:45 AM

This Insane Chinese Concept Train Doesn't Need To Stop At Stations To Pick Up Passengers

Atrain in motion is a train carrying out its purpose. So why bother stopping at stations?!

That's the idea behind this concept train from China. Check out the video below which demonstrates how it works: Passengers step onto a compartment platform above an incoming train, which is then snagged by the train as it moves through the platform. At the next station, anyone wanting to get off moves up into the compartment, which is then snagged by the station. The train itself never stops, it simply trades embarkation capsules as its moves through a station, giving passengers a window of time to board without the train needing to stop.


Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/chine...ations-2013-12
DvW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM   #7076
big-dog
Registered User
 
big-dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,080
Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
The mainlines are like:
Beijing-Tianjin built 1897-1900
Beijing-Hankou built 1897-1906
Shanghai-Nanjing built 1905-1908
Tianjin-Pukou built 1908-1912

These must have had many bridges and viaducts because it was only Yangtze that was unbridged and crossed by ferries. For example both Beijing-Hankou and Tianjin-Pukou had to have bridges over Huanghe.

What happened to the original bridges and viaducts?
How old are the bridges and viaducts that now stand on the old railways?
And how were they built?
Even they were originally built around 1912 all the bridges had to be replaced long time ago.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:33 PM   #7077
doc7austin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 380
Likes (Received): 810

Hmmm, today is December 23.
The Changsha-Guilin and Shenzhen-Xiamen are supposed to open on December 28/30.
So, does anyone know when the new train schedules are released?
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 02:22 PM   #7078
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 361

Well built railway infrastructure often lasts far longer than the design lifetime, some of the tunnels and viaducts built in England in the late 19th century are still in heavy use. Of course maintenance is needed and from time to time parts of the line need to be rebuilt completely. Long periods of insufficient maintenance tends to lead to accumulating speed restrictions. I see no particular reason to think it will be different in China.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:11 PM   #7079
xinxingren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 269
Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
The whole Beijing-Shanghai railway save the Nanjing bridge was completed by 1912. Have the bridges and viaducts reached their end of design lifetime? And is China tearing it down?
Since 1912 there were nearly forty years of war in that region of China. Railways were blown up, and sabotaged by all factions to prevent the "enemy" using them. One of the first jobs of the PRC government in the early 1950s was to rebuild the railways. So a lot of that infrastructure is maybe only fifty years old.

Before the current craze for HSR took hold CNR had been upgrading many main lines to 160km/hr standard. This ended up with many small bridges and tunnels being replaced by new ones a little distance away. Tearing down and rebuilding cannot be part of the life of a working railway in China because their running schedules are full.
__________________

kunming tiger liked this post
xinxingren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:46 PM   #7080
chornedsnorkack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,975
Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinxingren View Post
Since 1912 there were nearly forty years of war in that region of China. Railways were blown up, and sabotaged by all factions to prevent the "enemy" using them. One of the first jobs of the PRC government in the early 1950s was to rebuild the railways. So a lot of that infrastructure is maybe only fifty years old.
But a lot of the infrastructure was rebuilt in a hurry, to get it running. For example Shanghai-Hangzhou railway, that had been built 1906 to 1909, was damaged by war in 1949 - but the railway was rebuilt in 1950.
So a lot of the infrastructure was built over 60 years ago, before 1953, in a hurry to get the traffic through and repair infrastructure that was already then 40 year old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinxingren View Post
Before the current craze for HSR took hold CNR had been upgrading many main lines to 160km/hr standard. This ended up with many small bridges and tunnels being replaced by new ones a little distance away. Tearing down and rebuilding cannot be part of the life of a working railway in China because their running schedules are full.
Yes, the schedules have been full for 60 years. So how did the Chinese manage to upgrade the railways while they were full all the time?
Also, have any old railways been upgraded after Sixth Speedup Campaign in 2007?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
china, high speed rail

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium