daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #7401
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
In that case the total in Asia should be something nearer to 1700?
Going with Wikipedia number I counted 34 700T, 386 Shinkansen and 66 KTX trainsets in service, so the total Asian HSR trainsets is right around 1500.

In Europe I counted 506 TGV, 259 ICE, 60 in Italy, and 96 in Spain. I didn't count other countries but I find it hard to believe HSR trainsets in Europe is anywhere near 1500.

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:03 AM   #7402
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Going with Wikipedia number I counted 34 700T, 386 Shinkansen and 66 KTX trainsets in service, so the total Asian HSR trainsets is right around 1500.

In Europe I counted 506 TGV, 259 ICE, 60 in Italy, and 96 in Spain. I didn't count other countries but I find it hard to believe HSR trainsets in Europe is anywhere near 1500.
Don't forget another major player UK. It may not be famous for HSR like France or Japan but trains do go at 200km/h there. I quickly ran through Wikipedia and counted at least 435 trainsets in UK which are doing 200km/h or more in regular service. Should be a couple of hundred more in the rest of Europe. So I guess we're looking at something in the range of 1600-1700 trainsets.

Last edited by Pansori; February 12th, 2014 at 03:31 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #7403
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:

It depends where you put a limit. The numbers I posted earlier where for 200 km/h+ trains, the ones you are posting now are for 250 km/h+ (300?) and that makes a difference.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #7404
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
It depends where you put a limit. The numbers I posted earlier where for 200 km/h+ trains, the ones you are posting now are for 250 km/h+ (300?) and that makes a difference.
I wonder what is going to be the rollout rate of new 200+ km/h capable CRH trains in China over the next few years (say until 2018)?

Given the amount of new lines to be put online during 2014-2016 the numbers should be pretty damn big. Unless other countries would rollout new trainsets at a crazy rate too? But that doesn't look very likely because no other place has such a high amount of new lines coming online or even train building capacity.

Last edited by Pansori; February 12th, 2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #7405
hmmwv

I agree that if we count all 200km/h trainsets the number will be different.

As for Chinese HSR fleet they probably need another 1000 before 2020 to satisfy new lines as well as increase frequencies on existing ones. Japan has a quarter of China's HSR network but 1/2 of the number of trainsets. The other thing is CRH6, most of it won't count as HSR trainset because they are 160km/h, but mass transit agencies around China will be ordering massive numbers of that train too, We are probably looking at 200-300 trainsets of various CRH6 variants.

As more long lines are putting into service they will need more trainsets, simply because the turnaround time is going to be so long. Also I really, really, really hope they start overnight services (I was stuck in NKG for 9 hrs on CNY eve, wish we had an overnight CRH train to Sichuan), that'll significant increase demand for HSR sleeper trains. Taking into consideration of possible exports and replacement of older trains I think we can expect CNR and CSR to run at the current production rate for the next ten years.
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #7406
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
I think we can expect CNR and CSR to run at the current production rate for the next ten years.
What is the production rate at the moment? Even if approximate?
Old February 13th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #7407
hmmwv

Quote:
What is the production rate at the moment? Even if approximate?
I don't have specifics but I know at the height of the buildup (~2010-11) the production rate is well over 200 trainsets a year. Then they didn't order anything until early 2013, so the rate dropped dramatically. What I've heard is that currently the production rate is between 120-140 trainsets. Considering several new facilities came online since 2010 such as CSR Jiangmen the current capacity should be around 250 trainsets.

Pansori liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #7408
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Given the amount of new lines to be put online during 2014-2016 the numbers should be pretty damn big. Unless other countries would rollout new trainsets at a crazy rate too? But that doesn't look very likely because no other place has such a high amount of new lines coming online or even train building capacity.
Other countries won't have a massive rollout of new trainsets for obvious reasons however in the more established user countries some of the newly built rolling stock will be for replacement of old trains not just to serve new lines.

As for brand new lines there is not a lot by Chinese standards in the next 5-6 years, but it isn't nothing either. I'd estimate about 500 km in France, 200 in Germany, 700 in Spain, ca 400 (?) in Turkey, 150 in Morocco, ca 150 in Denmark, some small stretches in Austria/Switzerland. Total in Europe and surrounding regions could be 2,000-2,500 km of 250 km/h+ of newly built lines.

Pansori liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #7409
Pansori
planquadrat

I made another couple of charts showing the length of China's HSR network by year.

I used numbers (including years on which relevant lines were/will be put in operation) which are provided in English Wikipedia. While 300-350km/h data seems to be reliable I got some confusion over 200km/h. Not least because 200km/h lines are a mix of upgraded and new railways. Anyway I think the numbers should be more or less correct.

Another thing i wasn't sure about was the Lanzhou-Urumqi railway. I included it in the 300+ km/h stats because that's what it's supposedly going to be. In Wikipedia (and elsewhere) it is marked as a 300km/h railway (as opposed to 350km/h for most other trunk lines lines). Does that means they are actually intending to run trains at 300km/h on that line? Or will they go at perhaps 250km/h? I draw such a question from the fact that after the slowdown campaign trains are running 300km/h on 350km/h lines and 200km/h on 250km/h lines.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old February 13th, 2014, 06:00 AM   #7410
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

Changchun factory

Johson, Slagathor, CP11, geometarkv, big-dog and 3 others liked this post
flankerjun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #7411
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Does that means they are actually intending to run trains at 300km/h on that line? Or will they go at perhaps 250km/h? I draw such a question from the fact that after the slowdown campaign trains are running 300km/h on 350km/h lines and 200km/h on 250km/h lines.
Look to the Haerbin line. It has cold weather issues similar to the one out to Ulumuqi, which also has elevation and tunnel issues.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #7412
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Hand View Post

Look to the Haerbin line. It has cold weather issues similar to the one out to Ulumuqi, which also has elevation and tunnel issues.
That is understandable. However I would still like to get more clarification on whether trains will actually run at 300km/h there (even if not all year long).
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #7413
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

My understanding is that they will. Lanzhou to Urumuqi is going to be a 300/350kph line. 7000m turn radius means 350. There is a lot of CRH finalising this year and next, just keep reading the board and updates will appear. When the timetables come out you can do the Maths on avg velocity.
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #7414
Pansori
planquadrat

Ok thanks. This actually IS the best English language source on Chinese HSR

I also wondered if there are any services in China running at 250km/h on 250km/h lines (NOT on 350km/h lines) these days? Most 'slow' HSR lines in China are 250km/h but my understanding is that after the 2011 slowdown they're only operating at 200 (maybe up to 210)km/h?
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #7415
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 368

Why do CRH trains not run at night? Do trains in general in China not run at night? Any reasons for the same?
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #7416
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

High speed tracks require daily maintenance, carried out at night. As more high speed trains are introduced, sleeper trains are reduced to permit more profitable freight trains.

Strange fact: Chinese railway ticket prices have been frozen since 1996 by government fiat. To circumvent this, trains are relabelled express, super express, etc to allow higher ticket prices. Replacing sleepers with high speed trains allow further ticket price hikes while officially maintaining the freeze on fares.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #7417
Pansori
planquadrat

Can somebody explain me why the train schedule on 12306.cn does not show the G79 Beijing to Guangzhou train on any of the days before February 26th? Is it not running at this time of year or what?
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #7418
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
Why do CRH trains not run at night? Do trains in general in China not run at night? Any reasons for the same?
Trains in general in China do run at night. Slow speed railway lines surely must need maintenance, yet long distance slow speed trains run through day and night. For example, there are 2 daily slow speed trains Beijing-Shanghai, namely 1461, that takes 20 hours 14 minutes departing 11:54, and arriving 8:08 next morning, and T109 that takes 14 hours 48 minutes departing 19:33 and arriving 10:21 next day.
But there are also 3 D trains nightly, numbers D313, D311 and D321. These take 11:41 to 11:42, departing 19:34, 21:16 and 21:23 and arriving 7:15, 8:58 and 9:04 next morning. They offer soft sleepers, but also second class seats not hard seats, so looks like they are CRH trains. Yet tey cover 1454 km Beijing South to Shanghai - so looks like they run on slow speed railway at night, not on high speed line.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #7419
laojang

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Can somebody explain me why the train schedule on 12306.cn does not show the G79 Beijing to Guangzhou train on any of the days before February 26th? Is it not running at this time of year or what?
It is said that they have some scheduling problem
due to the CNY rush. They have to sacrifice this one
since it has the fewest stops. Hopefully it will be ok
next year.

Laojang
laojang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #7420
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Trains in general in China do run at night. Slow speed railway lines surely must need maintenance, yet long distance slow speed trains run through day and night.
The conventional lines do not need daily inspection, high speed rail tracks in China are designed with such high of precision that daily CIT (comprehensive inspection train) are required to run daily to check any possible deformation on tracks and wires. If any errors are detected a sleeper tender train will follow to perform calibration. Conventional rail has a much higher error tolerance so a millimeter of track sink won't be an issue.

Tags
china, high speed rail