daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:41 PM   #8601
saiho

Likes (Received): 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
So. What the hell is "world class" about a local rail system of that 61 km section between Guangzhou East and Shilong?
They can easily change that. The track, electrical infrastructure and freight rail platforms are there. All they have to do is realize it.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:06 PM   #8602
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
They can easily change that. The track, electrical infrastructure and freight rail platforms are there. All they have to do is realize it.
When they do it, getting homes and shops to actually be located and concentrated at the stations will not be as easy as building the stations.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:08 PM   #8603
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Um, whatīs "world class" about it?

Look at the Kowloon end of Kowloon-Canton railway.
At the 34 km stretch of the double track railway Hung Hom-Lo Wu, I count 10 intermediate stations:
  1. Mong Kok East
  2. Kowloon Tong
  3. Tai Wai
  4. Sha Tin
  5. Fo Tan
  6. University
  7. Tai Po Market
  8. Tai Wo
  9. Fanling
  10. Sheung Shui
All of these receive frequent passenger train service to each other. The line also carries long distance passenger trains.
Compare the Canton end.
On the 39 km stretch Guangzhou-Xintang, I count just 6 stations:
  1. Yunlu
  2. Guangzhou East
  3. Shipai
  4. Jishan
  5. Xiayuan
  6. Nangang
But more importantly: find the passenger train schedules for any of these stations besides Guangzhou East!
In fact, find the passenger train schedules for any station between Guangzhou East and Shilong! On the 30 km section between Xintang and Shilong, I find 4 more:
  1. Shapu
  2. Xiancun
  3. Shitan
  4. Honghai
So. What the hell is "world class" about a local rail system of that 61 km section between Guangzhou East and Shilong?
I said it is "going to be"....yet even when I visited back in 2010 my public transportation experience within the PRD was smooth and simple. Clean subways in Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong, airports HKG and CAN had impressive terminals(SZX at the time was on par with maybe JFK), and being able to take a high speed train from Guangzhou East to Shenzhen Luohu was a really nice ride. Turbojet between Hong Kong and Macau was a really nice ride as well.

With these new projects coming online I can't think of any other place in the world that will be as well connected as the PRD. Maybe places Japan. Whatever I saw back in 2010 public transport infrastructure-wise was better than I've seen here in the U.S. with our big cities New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston.

That section from Guangzhou East to Shilong is better than from say New York Grand Central Terminal to New Haven Union Station in my opinion.

I guess in other words, I was impressed with what I saw 2010, seeing that they are doing even more call me super-impressed.

Edit: Sorry if my post seems rude, didn't mean to be. Just saying what I saw was awesome and what is coming is going to be more awesome!

Last edited by FM 2258; October 4th, 2014 at 01:06 AM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #8604
Jordantimber

Likes (Received): 8

Shanghai South heaps better
Old October 4th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #8605
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I guess in other words, I was impressed with what I saw 2010, seeing that they are doing even more call me super-impressed.
The density just isn't there yet though. There are metro trains and HSR but in terms of commuter railways there are only a few dispersed lines running on old main lines.

FM 2258 liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #8606
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Meaning that various high speed railways are due to open in December 2014:
  1. Lanzhou-Hami
  2. Hangzhou-Nanchang
  3. Harbin-Qiqihar, sometime in end
  4. Guangzhou-Wuzhou, on 30th
  5. Guangzhou-Guiyang, on 30th
Guangzhou-Guiyang HSR starts speed test

Joint testing was started on Guizhou section from September 18. A CRH380AJ will conduct the speed test from October 4th.

(@高铁见闻)
Old October 4th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #8607
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Guangzhou-Guiyang HSR starts speed test

Joint testing was started on Guizhou section from September 18. A CRH380AJ will conduct the speed test from October 4th.
What shall be the trip time Giangzhou South-Zhaoqing East by Guangzhou-Guiyang HSR and Guangzhou-Nanning HSR, respectively, this year?
Old October 5th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #8608
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

A bit of a silly question about train tickets. I am planning a journey on various CRH services later this month and want to make sure I get my planning right. Schedule will be very tight so cannot afford any errors.

Can I buy CRH train tickets for Shanghai-Beijing or Beijing-Guangzhou trip in a different location some days in advance? For example Shznehen North station?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #8609
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Yes, though a five yuan surcharge applies to tickets bought outside the city of origin.

Pansori liked this post
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #8610
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Yes, though a five yuan surcharge applies to tickets bought outside the city of origin.
Thanks. That clarifies it all.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #8611
saiho

Likes (Received): 1302

Quote:
When they do it, getting homes and shops to actually be located and concentrated at the stations will not be as easy as building the stations.
Well they can build additional ones where the railway runs through the old village centers.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #8612
Grunnen

Likes (Received): 58

And there is the question if it is even desirable at all.

For example, the 光明城 HSR station in Shenzhen is located more or less at the border of the urban area and protected nature/countryside. So they can develop a high-density 'gateway area' directly around the station, which they are planning right now. But it would be a bad thing if pressure for more development near to the station leads to the loss of natural areas.
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #8613
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunnen View Post
And there is the question if it is even desirable at all.

For example, the 光明城 HSR station in Shenzhen is located more or less at the border of the urban area and protected nature/countryside. So they can develop a high-density 'gateway area' directly around the station, which they are planning right now. But it would be a bad thing if pressure for more development near to the station leads to the loss of natural areas.
If a HSR station is in a place that is undesirable to develop then it is undesirable situation in the first place. The station should in the first place have been built in a place that either already was developed, or else that was desirable to develop.

Which HSR station of Shenzhen are you referring to? Futian, Longhua, Guangmingcheng or Pingshan?
Old October 6th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #8614
Grunnen

Guangmingcheng. The area to the east of the high speed rail line is designated as green area in the urban land use plans, except for a little area directly near the station.
Old October 6th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #8615
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunnen View Post
Guangmingcheng. The area to the east of the high speed rail line is designated as green area in the urban land use plans, except for a little area directly near the station.
Is that area supposed to be wilderness protected from human impact, or a public park?
Old October 6th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #8616
Grunnen

Quote:
Is that area supposed to be wilderness protected from human impact, or a public park?
As far as I know, a small part of it should become a park, but it also has a lot of water reservoirs and some agricultural use which they want to preserve.

These are the locations of the HSR stations in Shenzhen:
[IMG]http://i59.************/2yvwg2s.jpg[/IMG]
Futian station is bulls-eye, I think. The other stations are all on the border of green areas. I'd guess you don't really want to have too much pressure for real estate development there. The Guangming station is also not connected to any existing or planned metro lines.

Much more useful for the metropolitan/regional transport, I think, is the metro line 11 which they are building right now (blue line in my map); which will function like an express metro with few stops and continue as one of the Pearl River Delta rapid transit lines. It passes straight through important places like the airport and the new Qianhai CBD - places where they really want much development to happen.

chornedsnorkack, FM 2258, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Grunnen; October 6th, 2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old October 6th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #8617
chornedsnorkack

There have been several maps of Shenzhen metro, but I have never seen any depicting both metro and distribution of built-up and green areas.

Also, where is the Guangzhou-Shenzhen slow speed railway on that map?
Old October 6th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #8618
Grunnen

Quote:
Also, where is the Guangzhou-Shenzhen slow speed railway on that map?
I have not marked it, but it is the thin black line coming from Hong Kong near the 'n' from 'Futian' and going straight to the north.
Old October 6th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #8619
chornedsnorkack

The stations of Kowloon-Canton railway in Shenzhen are:
Shenzhen
Sungang (3 km)
Shenzhen East (8 km)
Pinghu (20 km)
Thatīs all. Shigu (28 km) is over the border in Dongguan.
Where is the intersection of Guangzhou-Shenzhen slow speed and Shenzhen-Xiamen high speed railways?
Old October 6th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #8620
Grunnen

Ok, I have now also painted the Kowloon-Canton Railway on the map. The station Sungang is only freight; Pinghu does not have any passenger trains anymore but I have made a dot on the map anyways.

Shenzhen East, by the way, is only used as a starting point for some night trains. The rapid trains to Guangzhou start at Luohu and don't stop anywhere else within Shenzhen.

Tags
china, high speed rail