daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2014, 07:52 PM   #8701
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankerjun View Post
average speed in 2009,not today
Still, it is the fastest when it comes to average speed.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2014, 07:53 PM   #8702
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Should have been (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing...-Speed_Railway), but apparently still delayed... How easy was reaching Shenzhen North?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 08:02 PM   #8703
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Should have been (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing...-Speed_Railway), but apparently still delayed... How easy was reaching Shenzhen North?
It took less than 20 minutes and 60RMB by taxi from Luohu (Hubei metro station area) at around 5.30 a.m. so very easy. Metro is opening 6.30 a.m. so that was no good for me. It would take around 40 minutes by metro from the same location.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 08:21 PM   #8704
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
3 hours? Where did you travel from and to which station? Is BJ really that bad when it comes to commute? And what was the problem exactly?

To my own surprise when I was on D2282 from SZ to SH many passengers in the 1st class compartment actually went the entire trip which takes 12 hours. Now those are people who proably could afford a flight too. Most bought extra meals too instead of only eating drinking their stuff which is an indication that they were not after cheap.

I think some are underestimating the competitiveness of trains vs flights even if it takes longer. The comfort and hassle free experience really makes a big difference. To some at least.

Btw, I'm taking the SH-BJ train tomorrow and I'll see if my experience will be anything like yours.
The problem was traffic. I made the not unreasonable mistake of taking a taxi, with public transport (express bus and metro) there is a chance I would have made it, but carrying luggage during rush hour isn't a too attractive prospect either.

I've moved from Chaoyang to Tongzhou. Tongzhou isn't the most central location, but there are more remote ones too. It does have some brutal traffic though, and this was one of those cases. The Chaoyang location was unusually close to Beijing South, and the travel time to Beijing South was much shorter than to the airport. Now it is the other way around. Sure traffic affects travel to the airport too, badly, but the airport has the advantage of being "outwards" while Beijing South is "inwards". I, like most people I suppose, have a tendency to leave in the morning and return in the evening. Then the airport is counterflow, while to Beijing South you go with the commute.

Were there no traffic the trip should have taken 40 minutes with taxi, close to two hours with public transport. The airport is actually closer, which isn't the usual situation for most in Beijing. It is more typical that both locations are inconvenient. Metro line 14 hopefully will alleviate the situation.

I too prefer trains for planes, the convenience and comfort makes up for a longer average travel time. I had no problem with the five hours to Shanghai, but the argument of comfortable ride is annulled by the discomfort of getting there.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 08:33 PM   #8705
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I see there is still a lot to do as far as public transport (metro/suburban train) within Beijing is concerned. It's a giant city, but nevertheless a top class public transport system should make it possible to reach any somewhat central location from any point in the city in an hour or less (suburb to suburb rarely works like that although would be ideal).
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 10:03 PM   #8706
chornedsnorkack

If Beijing is gridlocked, could it be easier to reach Langfang Station from Tongzhou?
Shenzhen North-Shanghai Hongqiao is 1623 km, and the train times are 12:00 to 12:17 for D trains, for price of 593 yuan 5 jiao first class, 478 yuan 5 jiao second class. A T train could complete the trip in 17:54, and cost just 613 yuan upper soft sleeper. Lower hard sleeper is 421 yuan, and hard seat 234 yuan.

On from Shanghai to Beijing, the railway has G trains - and even though the distance 1318 km can be covered in 4:48, even second class seat at 553 yuan is almost as expensive as 12 hours in D train first class. A first class in G train Shanghai-Beijing costs 933 yuan.

When in December Nanchang-Hangzhou high speed railway shall open, what shall be the trip time and ticket price Shenzhen-Shanghai via Changsha?
Old November 2nd, 2014, 03:05 AM   #8707

I would want a fast network connecting the slow metro network and the long-distance HSR/airport network, bit like the coming PDL network in Guangzhou as GZ-zhang mapped above, or a HSR ring connecting the existing and wannabe HSR stations, like Tongzhou railway station and Yizhuang railway station.

A quicker and cheaper solution might be to have railway express buses, just like we have airport express buses and other express buses. They would end at the railway station. Feeder buses to line 4/14 (for South Station) and 7/9 (for West Station) would be fine too, but they wouldn't be express buses.

When stuck in the taxi at walk speed I was musing about turning around towards Langfang, that we would have made, but apart from it being much longer (and much more expensive), the train didn't stop there. Besides it would take about 15 minutes just to get to an off-ramp.

The nice thing about the rail system is that you can change tickets, once, for no extra cost, so the traffic didn't cost us anything apart from an addition 2 1/2 hour wait for next available train (cut down to 1 1/2 as we were already late). In other words we spent a total of 4 1/2 hours getting to the train in Beijing, and 5 1/2 getting to Shanghai (and about 1 hour in Shanghai).
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:26 AM   #8708
dodge321

Likes (Received): 121

I agree, there needs to be some express railway lines, like the airport express, but connecting from train stations, especially given Beijing's atrocious traffic.
dodge321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:46 AM   #8709
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 334

What a horrible experience. When I was in Beijing, the taxi driver actually told me to get off right then and there and head to the metro station. Definitely saved me time, although I wasn't in a rush to be anywhere.
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:02 AM   #8710
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

As already discussed previously in other threads, Beijing needs more capacity. Far more. Perhaps a heavy rail system parallel to existing metro system. Something like Munich or Berlin S-Bahn which compliments the metro within city core but extends outside the city to more distant suburbs. There is no way around it. If people cannot physically fit in existing means of transport they need to be expanded. In Beijing's case, it seems, the expansion should be pretty massive.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:57 AM   #8711
chornedsnorkack

Between 7:00 and 17:45, there is never more than 60 minutes between two trains Beijing South-Shanghai.
Of course, it seems that trains are often sold out, so showing up at station does not assure getting on next train.
Langfang Station 60 km from Beijing South has just 6 G trains to Shanghai daily.

For comparison, Tokaido Shinkansen has 2 stations in 25,5 km from Tokyo to Shin-Yokohama: Shinagawa 6,8 km from Tokyo. Tohoku Shinkansen likewise has 2 stations in 31,3 km from Tokyo to Omiya: Ueno 3,6 km from Tokyo.

Should additional stations be built in the suburbs of Beijing, between Beijing South and Langfang Station, lest people get stuck in traffic trying to reach Beijing South?
Old November 8th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #8712
hhzz

Likes (Received): 1274

Lanzhou-Urumqi HSR

The first high speed rail in Xinjiang will be officially open on November 16,2014.

A CRH2 bullet train runs on the Gobi Desert in Xinjiang,Northwest of China.

---------
xinhuanet
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #8713
hhzz

Likes (Received): 1274

Lanzhou-Urumqi HSR

Riding experience in Xinjiang section before it is officially open next week.

1.CRH5 at Turfan station

Arrive at Hami station

----------
xinhuanet

Pansori, Johson, CP11, Attus, FM 2258 and 3 others liked this post
hhzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #8714
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

Beijing-Shenyang HSR,busy construction.

:jax:, foxmulder, FM 2258, Pansori, Johson and 6 others liked this post
flankerjun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #8715
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Finally, it is underway.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #8716

I guess it is the longest-delayed HSR project. Any map where the line will go through Beijing?
Old November 11th, 2014, 05:46 AM   #8717
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1774

So pleased to hear about the Lanzhou - Urumqi line. I recently caught a night train from Lanzhou to Dunhuang, then had to fly back to Xi'an. It'll be great to see HSR come in on this corridor.

It will now be possible to travel halfway across Asia by HSR. Hopefully political will can one day see the line extended westwards.
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #8718
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
I guess it is the longest-delayed HSR project. Any map where the line will go through Beijing?
It's a sign of things to come for the future, it will be more and more difficult to push through large infrastructure projects in the future. So good thing China got most of the stuff done while it's still easy and cheap.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #8719
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
So pleased to hear about the Lanzhou - Urumqi line. I recently caught a night train from Lanzhou to Dunhuang, then had to fly back to Xi'an. It'll be great to see HSR come in on this corridor.

It will now be possible to travel halfway across Asia by HSR. Hopefully political will can one day see the line extended westwards.
No. Just Urumqi to Hami, then Baoji to Beijing. These do not add up to halfway across Asia.
So, the High Speed Silk Railroad opens on this Sunday, 16th of November, 2014.
It is just 530 km long, and goes nowhere, namely between Urumqi South and Kumul/Hami.
The railroad has 3 intermediate stations, namely 158, 249 and 291 km from Urumqi.
The maximum speed is 200 km/h.
From next week, there shall be 4 trains daily - D8802 to D8808 towards Hami (remember to gather some luck that way!)
Travel time ranges from 3:07 (the nonstop train D8804) to 3:28 (with all 3 stops).
For comparison, on Slow Speed Silk Railroad the distance Urumqi South to Kumul South is 553 km, and a station 143 km from Urumqi South is Turpan. The fastest train by slow speed railroad, T36 to Guangzhou, takes 5:11 to Hami.
High Speed Silk Railroad ticket price Urumqi-Hami is 163 yuan 5 jiao second class, 196 yuan first class.
For comparison, on Slow Speed Silk Railroad T and K trains, the price Urumqi-Hami is 78 yuan hard seat, 148 yuan lower hard sleeper, 213 yuan upper soft sleeper. On L trains, hard seat is 38 yuan, and on number train 7552, it is 32 yuan.

So, how much of your way to China will you travel by High Speed Silk Railroad?
Old November 11th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #8720
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
the red line is Beijing-Shenyang line

Tags
china, high speed rail