daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2015, 09:49 AM   #8981
ccdk

Likes (Received): 969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunnen View Post
Usually the official railway maps
I dont believe that's the official map, it was probably made by HSR enthusiasts. And here is the source, which I forgot to paste in that post.
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/chin...ailway-map.htm

but agreed, there should be insets for those regions with high HSR density such as the PRD and Shanghai/Nanjing/Hangzhou region.
ccdk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #8982
ccdk

BJ-SH high speed rail makes first annual profit

BJ - SH HSR made 1.2 billion yuan in profit in 2014

http://www.ecns.cn/video/2015/01-27/152397.shtml

FM 2258 liked this post

Last edited by ccdk; January 29th, 2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old January 30th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #8983
ccdk

http://english.cntv.cn/2015/01/27/VI...78599552.shtml

CP11, Silver Swordsman, mausmelker liked this post

Last edited by ccdk; January 30th, 2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:01 AM   #8984
hhzz

Likes (Received): 1274

China's high speed rail network in operation has reached 16,000 km by the end of 2014.

1.Congjiang,Guizhou Province

2.Zhangye,Gansu Province

---------
xinhuanet
Old February 1st, 2015, 04:57 PM   #8985
ccdk

Fastest Operational Trains

http://www.guancha.cn/GuanChaZheWang...1_308141.shtml

A Chinese media compared the speed of fastest operational trains from different countries. It did not specify whether it is the top speed, or average speed, but I am guessing it's average speed on the route, or a section of the route they are comparing. For example, G1/2 they took the speed of Bejing - Nanjing section, rather than the whole route BJ-SH.

For a few of the routes, they mentioned the average speed of the whole route, I believe they meant the speed is consistent along the whole route/section for all trains, that's why they did not specify train numbers. For example, the first row, it is said "24 trains" from Shaoguan - Leiyang West has an average speed of 316.6km/h

Columns from left to right:

Train #, start station, end station, distance, speed

Last edited by ccdk; February 1st, 2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:15 PM   #8986
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

How can you have an average speed of 316.6 km/h, when the official top speed is 300 km/h, and the top speed in practice is around 311-314 km/h?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:48 PM   #8987
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
How can you have an average speed of 316.6 km/h, when the official top speed is 300 km/h, and the top speed in practice is around 311-314 km/h?
They either don't know what average speed is or did not specify what they actually meant. They probably meant average top speed between a sample of trains. 316 is still a bit high. As you said they would usually top at around 310km/h. Unless on this particular route they go a bit faster for some reason.

This still looks strange because numbers for other countries do seem to show average speed rather than top speed.

Last edited by Pansori; February 2nd, 2015 at 12:00 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:59 PM   #8988
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Indeed. When I took G1 and G2, the speed never went above 301km/h, and we arrived at our scheduled times.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:03 AM   #8989
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Indeed. When I took G1 and G2, the speed never went above 301km/h, and we arrived at our scheduled times.
The fastest I saw in person was 308km/h. And on some TV broadcast 310km/h. It's a routine to go at anything up to 310 or 311km/h. Not 316km/h though.

It was mentioned before by somebody (in this or some other China HSR thread) that the actual hard limit is 315km/h i.e. when alarm would go off or some other automatic emergency action would be taken.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 01:57 AM   #8990
ccdk

Another factor not mentioned is the time span they took the samples. If the samples were only taken for the calendar year of 2014, 316km/h does sound unrealistic. But if they sampled the data for the whole period since the line commenced operation, it might be possible. Notice the top 3 (Shaoguan - Leiyang West, Hengyang East - Shaoguan, Guangzhou South - Changsha South) are all along the Wuhan-Guangzhou line, which were opened beginning of 2010, and it was running 350km/h back then. The speed was reduced to 300 in August 2011. So with a longer time span the average speed of 316km/h does sound possible.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 02:54 AM   #8991
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdk View Post
Another factor not mentioned is the time span they took the samples. If the samples were only taken for the calendar year of 2014, 316km/h does sound unrealistic. But if they sampled the data for the whole period since the line commenced operation, it might be possible. Notice the top 3 (Shaoguan - Leiyang West, Hengyang East - Shaoguan, Guangzhou South - Changsha South) are all along the Wuhan-Guangzhou line, which were opened beginning of 2010, and it was running 350km/h back then. The speed was reduced to 300 in August 2011. So with a longer time span the average speed of 316km/h does sound possible.
This is what I thought as well. If they measured average speeds prior to July 2011 speed reduction then average speeds of 316km/h (with the maximum speed of around 355km/h) are completely realistic. However they are not relevant today. Still the top spot would probably still belong to the Chinese network? Beijing-Shanghai is 271km/h average. Any faster lines?

Edit: if my calculation is correct then G79 beyween Shujiazhuang and Wuhan goes at an average speed of 273km/h.

Last edited by Pansori; February 2nd, 2015 at 03:01 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 03:59 AM   #8992
Silly_Walks

Perhaps they also use the distances that are used to calculate ticket prices, which are generally the older, less direct routes, instead of the new, more direct HS lines.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:26 AM   #8993
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Woman gives birth to a baby girl in curtained-off passageway on a high-speed train in S China.

Equario, FM 2258, VECTROTALENZIS liked this post
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:59 AM   #8994
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

the real distance of wuhan-Guangzhou line is shorter than they claimed,this is the reason.
flankerjun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:20 AM   #8995
ccdk

but the speed were measured in different sections along the route. Have they inflated the distance of those sections as well?
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:03 PM   #8996
Silly_Walks

From all we've seen now, we can pretty much throw that table in the bin, as it makes no sense.

FM 2258 liked this post
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #8997
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

A brief panoramic video I made in the centre of Beijing south station. I took a LOT of videos of the CRH system and my journeys on the trains. I'll be uploading them over time so I hope you guys don't mind if I post videos and pictures here.

Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #8998
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 368

Are the brands at chinese railway stations local or foreign?
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #8999
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
Are the brands at chinese railway stations local or foreign?
Both.
Old February 14th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #9000
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18188

Magic of the bullet trains
13 February 2015
China Daily Excerpt

High-speed services carry passengers in comfort and style for Spring Festival

China's growing high-speed rail network has made life a lot easier for people traveling back home during the annual Spring Festival holiday rush, passengers say.

"I clearly remember 20 years ago, when I first came to Beijing to procure goods, I had to spend more than 50 hours on a train when returning to my hometown in Guangzhou," said Ding Mingyao, a food wholesaler who has been doing business in Beijing since 1994.

For many Chinese, returning home for Spring Festival, the most important holiday of the year, is like a sacred ritual they must perform. The long-held tradition creates an annual travel rush that is perhaps the world's largest recurring human migration. This year, Spring Festival falls on Feb 19.

"Young people cannot imagine how we endured sitting on uncomfortable seats for as long as 50 hours," Ding laughed.

"To be honest, it felt really bad staying two days on a train, but we didn't have any choice, a bullet train was like something from the Arabian Nights for Chinese people, and most ordinary people couldn't afford an air ticket."

Pointing at the spearhead-shaped power unit of the train he was about to take at Beijing West Railway Station, Ding said the time of his train journey to Guangdong province has been greatly reduced.

"Now I get on the high-speed train at 10:30 am and arrive in Guangzhou at about 8 pm, which means I can have dinner with my two daughters at home," he said. "After the girls graduate from the university and move to Beijing, I plan to take the high-speed trains with them during every Spring Festival."

Last year, Chinese passengers made more than 3.6 billion trips during the Spring Festival - 3.3 billion by road, 266 million by train, 44 million by air, and 42 million by boat - the Ministry of Transport says.

For office employees, migrant workers and students who have a long distance to travel to get to their hometowns, rail travel is the most convenient and fastest option.

"I'm willing to stand in a line and wait two hours for a train ticket," said Li Chengxin, a construction worker in Guangzhou who hails from Guizhou province.

"It's virtually impossible to take a bus home because there is usually heavy traffic on the roads during the holiday rush, and flying is too expensive for me."

With the new Guiyang-Guangzhou high-speed railway, Li can reach his hometown in less than five hours, instead of the 21 hours it used to take him.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

JuaanAcosta, AlexisMD liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail