daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #9021
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdk View Post

Great pictures, but what is with the used cell phones?
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #9022
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

I think the train you ride may be CRH3C,the oldest HST in China,they are terrible..
flankerjun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #9023
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge321 View Post
Well we must have different definitions of "as smooth as it gets". I think while cruising on a flight when there is no turbulence is as smooth as it gets, you get long stretches where you don't feel anything. However, there were noticeable vibrations on the train.
Of course I'm not comparing it to airplanes or other modes of transport but to railways.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #9024
ddes

Likes (Received): 938

I've ridden multiple Velaros, and I must say the ride quality is the worst but I'm just nitpicking. The TGV and CRH380A are the smoothest IMO.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #9025
stoneybee

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
I don't know for sure but I believe no un-official communication with outside is allowed while you are on duty so you have to submit your phone while you are on your station. Which is actually quite common in China than one might think. Railway control is still considered as semi-military operation in China and there are PLA representatives/liaison officers in each railway control room in China.

Anyone with further insight on this would be appreciated.

Last edited by stoneybee; February 25th, 2015 at 07:14 PM.
stoneybee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 07:55 PM   #9026
Grunnen

Likes (Received): 58

Don't the Chinese also have the habit of *always* answering the phone, even if you are in a business meeting giving an important presentation? I can imagine that such behaviour is unwanted for traffic controllers.
Grunnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #9027
ccdk

Likes (Received): 980

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
I am guessing it's simply for communication purposes when the control room needs to stay in contact with dispatchers on the platforms, maybe replacing the commonly used walkie talkies.

for those chinese characters marked under each phone, the first part indicates the route, fx. Beijing - Guangzhou line, Bejing - Harbin line, etc. and the last character "台“, for communication purposes, it could mean channel, or station.

and answering the phone during a meeting or negotiation could be a tactic to gain bargaining power, think out of the box!
ccdk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #9028
ccdk

Likes (Received): 980

Guiyang - Nanning HSR commences construction end of 2015

http://www.gz.xinhuanet.com/2015-02/25/c_1114425932.htm

Expected operational: 2021
Total length: 533km
Travel time: 2 hours
Designed speed: 350km/h (operational speed should be 300)
ccdk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:55 AM   #9029
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1665

Another missing link
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #9030
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1665

Beijing-Tianjin HSR will extend into Tianjin airport T2 which makes Tianjin Airport within easy reach of Beijing.

When will the HSR open?
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 04:00 AM   #9031
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankerjun View Post
I think the train you ride may be CRH3C,the oldest HST in China,they are terrible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I've ridden multiple Velaros, and I must say the ride quality is the worst but I'm just nitpicking. The TGV and CRH380A are the smoothest IMO.
These are my favorite trains when it comes to looks, I can't wait to ride one to see what you guys are talking about. I've only ridden on a CRH1A, I thought those were the oldest on the CRH trains.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #9032
flankerjun

North-East,Harbin-Dalin.

Old February 27th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #9033
TacPack
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

nice
TacPack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 03:41 AM   #9034
flankerjun

the average distance that Chinese people ride train is over 500km in 2014.
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:11 AM   #9035
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankerjun View Post
the average distance that Chinese people ride train is over 500km in 2014.
And thatīs a huge problem.
What is being done to add stations?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:24 AM   #9036
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Not really, adding a whole bunch of stations would just slow the trains down to stop a lot, which is pretty bad when you travel long distance. From my own travel experience, I find myself take the express train (T train or HSR when available) to major station, then take medium haul bus (which always have a huge hub near train stations) to the more locations (small townships usually) to be a faster and more convenient option rather than taking slow train that stops everywhere.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:36 AM   #9037
flankerjun

Quote:
just the habit,train still a main choice for long distance travel in China.
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:54 AM   #9038
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai View Post
Not really, adding a whole bunch of stations would just slow the trains down to stop a lot, which is pretty bad when you travel long distance.
It would slow down those trains that stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai View Post
From my own travel experience, I find myself take the express train (T train or HSR when available) to major station, then take medium haul bus (which always have a huge hub near train stations) to the more locations (small townships usually) to be a faster and more convenient option rather than taking slow train that stops everywhere.
How about, take express train to a major station and there walk across platform to a medium haul train, to go to the small station which is your destination?
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:34 AM   #9039
孟天宝

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
How about, take express train to a major station and there walk across platform to a medium haul train, to go to the small station which is your destination?
The closest I've seen to that is here in Chengdu with the Cheng-Mian-Le intercity line. [成绵乐城际铁路] You can take the "high-speed" Huhanrong Line [沪汉蓉高铁] from Shanghai and interchange at Chengdu East with the intercity line if you want to get to Mianyang, Deyang, Leshan or Meishan. I believe Wuhan and Nanning has a similar thing with their intercity lines as well as Zhengzhou later this year.

The only problem with this set up is when they build these stations, they are always outside of town. Currently the only new station (that comes to mind) for the high speed lines that's anywhere near downtown is at Shijiazhuang - Futian is the only other but it's not open yet. The slow trains often operate out of centrally located stations but the fast trains rarely do, instead going to greenfield stations which don't have local trains.

As well, time tables for the intercity trains are often less frequent that buses. I can go to my local county (县)bus station and take buses all around the city to other counties and townships (镇) usually within 10 to 15 minutes. I know countries like Japan and Germany have a huge rail density (Germany has 10 times the density!) so for China to be able to reach all the cities and the bigger counties would require something like a million kilometres of trackage.

Buses might not be the sexiest or fleetest of modes of transport, but I think for China its a necessity for as long as people (and their families) live in the rural townships. Besides, you get to meet a lot of funny characters whilst busing!
孟天宝 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:32 AM   #9040
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 孟天宝 View Post
I believe Wuhan and Nanning has a similar thing with their intercity lines
Wuhan Iīve heard of, but where do Nanning "intercity" lines go?
Quote:
as well as Zhengzhou later this year.
So, which is the first local HSR to open in Zhengzhou? And in which month?
Quote:
The only problem with this set up is when they build these stations, they are always outside of town. Currently the only new station (that comes to mind) for the high speed lines that's anywhere near downtown is at Shijiazhuang - Futian is the only other but it's not open yet. The slow trains often operate out of centrally located stations but the fast trains rarely do, instead going to greenfield stations which don't have local trains.
And thatīs the problem.
If they can build a huge greenfield station out of town, they should be able to also build a branch line from the existing centrally located station to the greenfield station, and put local stations on that line. Or even better, put the greenfield station right on an existing line, and just add the local trainsī platforms to that old line.
They donīt seem to have done much of it.
Quote:
As well, time tables for the intercity trains are often less frequent that buses. I can go to my local county (县)bus station and take buses all around the city to other counties and townships (镇) usually within 10 to 15 minutes. I know countries like Japan and Germany have a huge rail density (Germany has 10 times the density!) so for China to be able to reach all the cities and the bigger counties would require something like a million kilometres of trackage.
China needs a million kilometres of trackage, sure. But to reach all the "bigger counties" takes much less than that. And the problem is, China is not making a good use of the existing 100 000 km either.
Quote:
Buses might not be the sexiest or fleetest of modes of transport, but I think for China its a necessity for as long as people (and their families) live in the rural townships.
Yes, but what China also needs is trains which actually stop in rural townships.

Tags
china, high speed rail