daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #921
brightside.
Honorary Scouser
 
brightside.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,119
Likes (Received): 8139

Well done, China! Lets see someone make fun of the quality of this train, you just can't haha
__________________
Bahria Icon Tower[PK] Motorways & Highways
brightside. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #922
Gzdvtz
Whatevah
 
Gzdvtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ☭υρώπη
Posts: 5,076

like everywhere some of them indeed are.
__________________
𝔐𝔬𝔤𝔰𝔱 𝔞 ℨ𝔲𝔠𝔨𝔢𝔯𝔩
Gzdvtz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #923
Ahmad Rashid Ahmad
Sapphire
 
Ahmad Rashid Ahmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Madinah - Lahore
Posts: 15,472
Likes (Received): 6184

Awesome CHINA.........
Ahmad Rashid Ahmad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #924
roro987
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San José, Costa Rica
Posts: 1,388
Likes (Received): 11

amazing
roro987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #925
Papagei
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 26
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel74 View Post
How is it compromising safety when they did the 394Km/h test before starting commercial runs at the speed of 350km/h?
As far as I know many people where on board during the testrun. And they didnīt do the testrun for a short measurement period and then slow down, they pushed the train to its limit for 3 hours. Thatīs a little bit of a diffrence and believe me, China did it to gather prestige . This is no sarcasm against China, I know that France does the same with their TGV.

Of course China will learn with those projects and eventually build better trains and I welcome them to do so. There is an old wisdom here saying that competition is good for economy. And competition in the high speed sector will also be good for our environment. And it will help foreign countries to follow and build high speed systems.

My personal view is that a daily service at 350 km/h is not safe with the bogies currently in use. You can do this with new trains but after several thousand km you better go back to 300-330 km/h if you donīt want to compromise safety. Here in Europe many specialists know and some say that 350 km/h is at the limit of safety with currently used bogies and the bogies and wheels in China arenīt different from those in use in Japan or Europe. China has the same technology we have in Japan and Europe but China is running faster which ultimately leads to compromised safety compared to Japan and Europe. Keep in mind that an accident at that speed will cost hundreds of lives so I donīt smile while watching China playing with fire.

If China had announced "we have developed additional dampers to be able to run safely at higher speeds" I would have said congratulations China, youīve made it but just using existing technology and pushing harder is nothing to celebrate on. Itīs not my life, its the lifes of chinese people! So donīt tell me I am sarcastic.

Last edited by Papagei; December 27th, 2009 at 07:49 PM.
Papagei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #926
Ariel74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 414
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagei View Post
As far as I know many people where on board during the testrun. And they didnīt do the testrun for a short measurement period and then slow down, they pushed the train to its limit for 3 hours. Thatīs a little bit of a diffrence and believe me, China did it to gather prestige . This is no sarcasm against China, I know that France does the same with their TGV.

Of course China will learn with those projects and eventually build better trains and I welcome them to do so. There is an old wisdom here saying that competition is good for economy. And competition in the high speed sector will also be good for our environment. And it will help foreign countries to follow and build high speed systems.

My personal view is that a daily service at 350 km/h is not safe with the bogies currently in use. You can do this with new trains but after several thousand km you better go back to 300-330 km/h if you donīt want to compromise safety. Here in Europe many specialists know and some say that 350 km/h is at the limit of safety with currently used bogies and the bogies and wheels in China arenīt different from those in use in Japan or Europe. China has the same technology we have in Japan and Europe but China is running faster which ultimately leads to compromised safety compared to Japan and Europe. Keep in mind that an accident at that speed will cost hundreds of lives so I donīt smile while watching China playing with fire.
Well, first of all, any test run will have lots of people on board simply because many technicians are required to do the TEST. Secondly, you are playing with your numbers a bit loosely when you say that they did the 394km/h speed for 3 hours. They did that probably just for a few seconds. The WHOLE trip took just under 3 hours. Finally, without knowing the precise areas of difference between CHR3 and ICE3 (there are many beyond the well-known ones: 16 cars vs. 8 cars, wider body versus narrow body), citing nameless "experts" does not make a very interesting debate, much like shadow-boxing. So believe what you will.

The fact is though, the chinese are running their trains at 350km/h for now, for commercial service. I am sure the chinese engineers have a better idea of what they are doing than you seem to claim to know. Talk to me again when they lower their commercial speeds (except that they may RAISE their speeds soon with other models).
Ariel74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #927
snapdragon
Registered User
 
snapdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,112
Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate.slave View Post
Chinese people look so calm and civilized.
so what the hell do you expect guys to do on a 350 kmph avg train other than sitting still and hoping this record breaking journey wont be a back breaking one

on a different note
to china
__________________
http://kitchen-nn.ru/2a5e6
snapdragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #928
KB
Moderator
 
KB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,840
Likes (Received): 6846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate.slave View Post
Chinese people look so calm and civilized.

image hosted on flickr
One thing though, why is that LCD facing the camera and opposite the seating arrangement? I know there is one on the other side too but isnt this one a waste?

Also the seating is in one direction...what happens on the return journey....revolving seats? doesnt look like it though.
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #929
lumicu
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yurop
Posts: 135
Likes (Received): 0

Congrats to the Chinese! Hope they keep on advancing but please free Tibet
lumicu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #930
foxmulder
Registered User
 
foxmulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,135
Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagei View Post
As far as I know many people where on board during the testrun. And they didnīt do the testrun for a short measurement period and then slow down, they pushed the train to its limit for 3 hours. Thatīs a little bit of a diffrence and believe me, China did it to gather prestige . This is no sarcasm against China, I know that France does the same with their TGV.

Of course China will learn with those projects and eventually build better trains and I welcome them to do so. There is an old wisdom here saying that competition is good for economy. And competition in the high speed sector will also be good for our environment. And it will help foreign countries to follow and build high speed systems.

My personal view is that a daily service at 350 km/h is not safe with the bogies currently in use. You can do this with new trains but after several thousand km you better go back to 300-330 km/h if you donīt want to compromise safety. Here in Europe many specialists know and some say that 350 km/h is at the limit of safety with currently used bogies and the bogies and wheels in China arenīt different from those in use in Japan or Europe. China has the same technology we have in Japan and Europe but China is running faster which ultimately leads to compromised safety compared to Japan and Europe. Keep in mind that an accident at that speed will cost hundreds of lives so I donīt smile while watching China playing with fire.

If China had announced "we have developed additional dampers to be able to run safely at higher speeds" I would have said congratulations China, youīve made it but just using existing technology and pushing harder is nothing to celebrate on. Itīs not my life, its the lifes of chinese people! So donīt tell me I am sarcastic.
They can go faster because both tracks and trains are different from what you've seen in Europe or Japan. Ballastless tracks are huge improvement over what has been used so far. Moreover, tracks are elevated for most of the distance which further increases both safety and stability of the track. Lastly, trains are modified and they are not the same ones in Japan or Germany. All these results in 350km/h service speed.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #931
keber
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 9,878
Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
They can go faster because both tracks and trains are different from what you've seen in Europe or Japan. Ballastless tracks are huge improvement over what has been used so far. Moreover, tracks are elevated for most of the distance which further increases both safety and stability of the track. Lastly, trains are modified and they are not the same ones in Japan or Germany. All these results in 350km/h service speed.
Balastless track requires less mainteance, but the same speed could be achieved also over balasted track.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #932
Buddy Holly
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Prishtina, RKS.
Posts: 6,133
Likes (Received): 120

They also raised the price of a one-way ticket from 11 yuan to 55 yuan, but I guess that's not sexy enough to post about huh?
Buddy Holly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #933
gincan
Gincan
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
They can go faster because both tracks and trains are different from what you've seen in Europe or Japan. Ballastless tracks are huge improvement over what has been used so far. Moreover, tracks are elevated for most of the distance which further increases both safety and stability of the track. Lastly, trains are modified and they are not the same ones in Japan or Germany. All these results in 350km/h service speed.
Are you drunk?

The tracks are built to german specifics with the help of German engineers (Deutsche Eisenbahn-Consulting GmbH) (you find exactly the same track design in Germany), the technological installations are of German design (Siemens) and the signaling system is the ERTMS (also to great extend German). The trains are of German (Velaro) and Japanese design (Kawasaki E2 Series).

The Balastless track (RHEDA 2000) is German technology, actually developed by Rail One group and has been used on a number of high-speed rail lines.
http://www.railone.com/en/main-nav/p...d-outlook.html

China had to contract dossens of European and Japanese railway companys to be able to build the HSR lines and trains. The modifications done to the trains to be able to run at 350km/h was developed by Japanese and European companys. You can find all the contracts China had to sign in any railway technology related news feeder, be it railwayjournal or railway gazette or any other source.

Last edited by gincan; December 27th, 2009 at 11:10 PM.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #934
Xusein
 
Xusein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,174
Likes (Received): 10404

That's still cheap, at least for me.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #935
Buddy Holly
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Prishtina, RKS.
Posts: 6,133
Likes (Received): 120

By US standards yes, but not by Chinese standards.
Buddy Holly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #936
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun
 
Abdallah K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tripoli طرابلس
Posts: 2,051
Likes (Received): 7

Really Awsome
Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #937
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----
 
Momo1435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: アルフェナンデンライン
Posts: 35,256
Likes (Received): 63051

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
One thing though, why is that LCD facing the camera and opposite the seating arrangement? I know there is one on the other side too but isnt this one a waste?

Also the seating is in one direction...what happens on the return journey....revolving seats? doesnt look like it though.
Looks like Japanese style revolving seats.

Btw, I wonder I how quickly the maximum and therefore average speed will go down, it's all fun and games but running these kind of speeds for a longer period of time is something different then test runs. It's still steel on steel, that still has it's limitations.
__________________
Support your Idols
キタ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ฅ(๑⊙д⊙๑)ฅ!! ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━!!!
Japan Projects & Construction
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #938
A-TOWN BOY
BANNED
 
A-TOWN BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Decatur
Posts: 2,637
Likes (Received): 3034

awesome train.. i like the design.. i hav a question though.. how can those seats revolve?? i mean they seats don't luk like they can.. specially the window seats..
A-TOWN BOY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #939
KB
Moderator
 
KB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,840
Likes (Received): 6846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Looks like Japanese style revolving seats.

Btw, I wonder I how quickly the maximum and therefore average speed will go down, it's all fun and games but running these kind of speeds for a longer period of time is something different then test runs. It's still steel on steel, that still has it's limitations.
The french, japanese, German etc trains have been running for a while and aren't complaining. I am sure they have calculated the wear and tear cost and optimum speed for best economical achievement of the wheels and tracks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by A-TOWN BOY View Post
awesome train.. i like the design.. i hav a question though.. how can those seats revolve?? i mean they seats don't luk like they can.. specially the window seats..
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #940
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人
 
BarbaricManchurian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Worcester
Posts: 5,505
Likes (Received): 6895

its actually only an average speed of 313km/h, top speed is 380km/h though. Ultra fast, by any means, traveling ~1000 km in just 3 hours
BarbaricManchurian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
china, high speed rail

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium