daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #9381
voyager221

Likes (Received): 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
Does anyone have some detailed information about the safety systems of Chinese high speed trains, esp. if the train is moving too fast?

While riding the high speed train G68 between Guangzhou and Shanghai, a very loud alarm sound was activated and from that we began to slow down even more.
It could be the smoke alarm.
voyager221 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #9382
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 813

There is a speed indicator in each car. The train slowed down significantly during the alarm. Moreover, this happened within the intersection construction site, where the Shanghai-Kunming crosses the Hefei-Fuzhou high speed railway.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #9383
voyager221

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
There is a speed indicator in each car. The train slowed down significantly during the alarm. Moreover, this happened within the intersection construction site, where the Shanghai-Kunming crosses the Hefei-Fuzhou high speed railway.
It falls into the description of a lot news about passengers smoking on CRH train triggering smoke alarm forcing the train to automatically slow down.
Also from my understanding, when train's ATP detects speeding, it won't sound alarm in the carriages, it will brake the train to a halt, only after the engineer on board resets the ATP, the train will be able to move again. Naturaly this will cause a hugh interruption on the whole railway line, the driver will sure get a lot bollocking later.
In practice, the speed limit to trigger ATP to brake is slightly higher to give the driver some room for error also give the late train some way to make up some thime, that's why sometime we see the train safely going slightly over the speed limit of 300km/h.

FM 2258, Pansori, :jax: liked this post
Old May 15th, 2015, 07:01 AM   #9384
voyager221

By 380柱子

From 20th of May, there will be three pairs of CRH trains departing from Nanning East station at the same time, each pair will run side by side for half an hour till Binyang station.

FM 2258, CP11 liked this post
Old May 15th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #9385
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert 80 View Post
Basically, as soon as you accelerate from a station, you speed up to around 300 km/h (I was always at 307km/h) and the speed just stays there like its nothing. It generally does not slow down unless....you approach another station for a short stop. Of course the curves are very gentle to maintain high speeds as well as having very long straight sections but I'm guessing these trains are able to hold such an amazing average speed due to the lines being nowhere near full capacity in terms of frequency?
It's because the line that's running 300 km/h train are actually supposed to 350 and 380 k/hm. (and often rated to 400+ km/h for both safety and future speed that never happened.) So by running at 300 km/h, there is ALOT of head room to work with when running 300 km/h trains. For example, Beijing - Shanghai supposed to be 380 km/h lines, and all CRH380 series trains are all designed for 380 km/h operation, but they run 300 km/h today.

I did ride it before the HSR slow down on Wuguan line running 350 km/h, and its not as smooth as they are today running at 300 km/h. Though I do miss the old speeds though, the slow down adds about 15 mins to my trip.

Last edited by luhai; May 15th, 2015 at 11:06 AM.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 11:49 AM   #9386
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
Why are there no OVERNIGHT HSR trains?
Does D trains count? There tons of those, D901 and D312 for example. I believe one of the trains that crashed in 2011 was also a sleeper.

There were temporary G trains that run at night during the spring rush(such as G4723, G2564 etc. they are not sleepers, you have seat through the night) but afterwards those things are gone. Night time is for D trains and maintenance I guess.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #9387
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8834

A few videos of the CRH and associated stations. We were taking the G2 service from Shanghai Hongqiao to Beijing South with only one stop at Nanjing station en route.

Firstly, we have Shanghai Hongqiao station.

And platform level showing the HSR rolling stock.

And finally leaving Hongqiao station towards Beijing. This is the opposite view from my other video when we arrived into Hongqiao.

More to come later. My HSR playlist from China is here. I took trains from Beijing to Tianjin and back as well as to Shanghai and back.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tHTRji1xdCqt8t

Last edited by Svartmetall; May 16th, 2015 at 01:25 AM.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 01:52 AM   #9388
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Thank you so much! CRH videos are my favorite!
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 02:04 AM   #9389
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

You're welcome. I have a few more to share too, but I'll give people time to watch those first. Don't want to overload them!
Old May 16th, 2015, 01:29 PM   #9390
孟天宝

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Could somebody update the progress of the following high speed railways:
  1. Longhua-Futian high speed railway
  2. Xinhuang-Guiyang-Kunming high speed railway
  3. Taiyuan-Datong high speed railway
  4. Tianjin-Baoding high speed railway
  5. Hefei-Shangrao-Fuzhou high speed railway
  6. Jilin-Hunchun high speed railway
  7. Ganzhou-Longyan railway second track
  8. Dongguan-Huizhou high speed railway
  9. Foshan-Zhaoqing high speed railway
  10. Hankou-Xiaogan high speed railway
  11. Chengdu-Pujiang high speed railway
  12. Changsha-Zhuzhou-Xiangtan high speed railway
  13. Nanjing-Anqing high speed railway
  14. Harbin-Qiqihar high speed railway
  15. Chengdu-Chongqing high speed railway
  16. Shenyang-Dandong high speed railway
  17. Dandong-Dalian high speed railway
1. Longhua – Futian high speed railway

I don't understand this as both termini are districts of Shenzhen and are also stations on Shenzhen's red line (currently called Line 4, previously the Longhua line.) However, the Guangshengang High Speed [广深港高速铁路] currently terminates at Shenzhen North, but it will be extended to Futian sometime by the end of this year according to Baike. [预计2015年年底开通] I cant find anything on Baidu that is recent and that gives a specific date; from past experience “年度”is almost always December 30/31 though they might throw a curveball and open it by October 1st for National Holiday.

This is the last part of the Hukun High-speed Railway [沪昆高速铁路] that starts in Shanghai and ends in Kunming. The Nanchang-Changsha section opened last Sept, and then the Hangzhou-Nanchang and Changsha-Xinhuang sections in December.

According to a release from the Guizhou gov't the Xinhuang-Guiyang section will open next month on the 16th after “debugging” since April. Apparently, they are a half month early too, hurray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The People's Government of Guizhou
沪昆高铁贵阳至新晃段预计616日开通运营
 在初步完成成都铁路局检测列车试验、中国铁路总公司高速综合列车逐级提速试验、重联380动车组逐级提速试验三个阶段调试的基础上,自423日开始,沪昆高铁贵阳至新晃段联调联试提前一周进入第四阶段——信号场景验证阶段。
成都铁路局相关人士初步预计,沪昆高铁贵阳至新晃段将于616日开通,比此前的计划提前半个月。
Anything beyond hard is hard to guess. Many articles still give the most unhelpful time frame of “2015年年底” but one article says that the Qujing North Station [曲靖北站] won't be finished until May 2016.

This is part of the Daxi High-speed Railway [大西客运专线] which links Datong in Shanxi [山西] province to Xi'an in Shaanxi province[陕西] The first section opened last year in July and connected the capitals of the two province; Taiyuan in Shanxi to Xi'an in Shaanxi.

This article suggests a small extension to Yuanping [原平] by June of this year with the remainder of the line opening up sometime during the year. Baike claims the remainder won't open until next year in August(!) but gives no sources. And this article seems to support that idea, with any talk about a June opening of the entire Taiyuan to Datong section is “not included.”

This is more properly termed an “inter-city railway” but according to this article this construction should be finished for testing by July 1st with a complete opening by National Holiday, or October 1st.

This the Hefu High-speed railway [合福高速铁路] and is planned to go to Taipei (well not really, but whatever.) Baike and other sites have stated that testing began in March and so the full commissioning of this line will be July 1st.

The Jihun PDL appears to be on track for testing come June and final completion by October of this year according to a couple of sites. Baike is helpful as always with a single line;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike
201510月全线通车
Thanks Baike!

The Ganlong Double Track [赣龙铁路复线] is a capacity upgrade that will let trains run 200kph. Longyan is the terminus of the high-speed Longxia railway heading to Xiamen in Fujian, but Ganzhou has no high-speed connections (yet) until at least the Nanchang-Shenzhen line is built. Current articles suggest completion of infrastructure by the summer with traffic seeing service by year's end – Baike merely states the year without any qualifiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike
预计2015年

Another Intercity Railway; Baike has three different articles with different times and information. What appears to be the most recent and useful gives the name as “莞惠城轨”and states it will be finished in the second half of next year. Several sources seem to back this up; it seems it was geologically challenging. Though there is a possibility of some of it opening by year's end.

Looks like part of the Guangzhou-Foshan-Zhaoqing ICR [广佛肇城际轨道]; there is limited information on Baike. Baidu also seemed recalcitrant in offering up useful information.

I will continue the other half some other time this weekend.

Cheers!

chornedsnorkack, Svartmetall liked this post
孟天宝 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 08:21 PM   #9391
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Three more videos from the CRH G2 service. These videos were taken between Shanghai and Nanjing.

Old May 17th, 2015, 02:00 AM   #9392
LUCAFUSAR

Likes (Received): 231

Thanks for your beautiful videos, Svartmetall.
LUCAFUSAR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 03:00 AM   #9393
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

I took the G2 from Shanghai to Beijing too . My only complaint... it was too quick. I was going to take lots of nerdy videos and photos inside the train but I ended up chatting with a passenger who sat next to me. After our prolonged conversation and lunch I realized that we arrived at Beijing South. So much for a 1300km journey.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #9394
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I took the G2 from Shanghai to Beijing too . My only complaint... it was too quick. I was going to take lots of nerdy videos and photos inside the train but I ended up chatting with a passenger who sat next to me. After our prolonged conversation and lunch I realized that we arrived at Beijing South. So much for a 1300km journey.
You speak conversational Mandarin enough to communicate?
Old May 17th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #9395
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Three final HSR videos from this China trip.

First off, entering Nanjing from Shanghai. This is the opposite view to that which I show in this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mbZUHANXC8 ).

Leaving Nanjing.

The long video showing the entrance into Beijing South Station.

Like I said before, if anyone is interested, I have a whole playlist of CRH journeys ( http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...tHTRji1xdCqt8t ) and also metro videos from Tianjin, Shanghai and Beijing and other places around the world if anyone is interested.
Old May 17th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #9396
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
You speak conversational Mandarin enough to communicate?
Sadly no, but the person spoke enough conversational English. I guess that was the reason why he chatted me up in the first place.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #9397
孟天宝

Likes (Received): 76

Here's the other half of that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Could somebody update the progress of the following high speed railways:

1. Longhua-Futian high speed railway
  10. Hankou-Xiaogan high speed railway
  11. Chengdu-Pujiang high speed railway
10. Hankou-Xiaogan high-speed railway

This is part of the Wuhan Metropolitan Area Intercity Rail [武汉城市圈城际铁路] of which the first part; the Wuhan-Xianning ICR opened in Dec. of 2013 and the second part; the Wuhan-Huangshi and Wuhan-Huanggang ICRs opened in June of 2014. This section; the Hankou-Xiaogan ICR [汉孝城际铁路] may open by the end of the year, or before 2016's Spring Festival. Baike's dedicated page says the latter whilst the overview page claims only the section to the airport will be finished this year, the remaining section to Xiaogan won't be open until 2017. Baidu doesn't seem to have any sources for either dates.

11. Chengdu-Pujiang high-speed railway.

Chengdu already has two ICRs; the Chengguan high-speed railway [成灌快速铁路] which travels to Qingcheng Mtn., Dujiangyan (Lidui Park) and Pengzhou, in addition to the newly opened Cheng-Mian-Le ICR. [成绵乐城际铁路] I live in Chengdu and for some unexplained reason, the Chengpu Railway is frequently shown to depart from Xipu Station on the Chengguan ICR; this is in fact false – it leaves from Chengdu West Station on the future Metro Line 4. Whether it has connectivity with the other two ICRs, that is yet to be determined but I have heard talk of an railway orbital to connect Chengdu N, S, E and W stations.

According to a local news site, the construction was only 70% completed last month so completion by year's end seems unlikely. They are given it another year with commencement of the line by May 2016. Unsure when passengers will be able to use however; this site says testing will be completed by next September, sounds like it will be delayed a full year to Dec. 2016. It's a project that's very infrequently talked about in town, most of my friends have never heard of it. Even the Pengzhou branch line is not well known and was poorly publicized.

The Changzhuxiang ICR [长株潭城际铁路] will link Hunan's capital of Changsha with two nearby cities. It will be delayed until next year according to both Baike and local news sites with the latter taking a pessimistic view of end of 2016/start of 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 长株潭城际高铁明年开通株洲5[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode
个站点[/FONT]]
在湘潭或株洲悠闲地吃个早餐,然后乘坐长株潭城际铁路到长沙上班,下了班再坐城际铁路回家买菜做晚饭,这样的生活将在明年变为现实。415日,长株潭城际铁路最大的车站——长沙站正式开工建设,将在明年年底以前全面建成并交付使用。加上此前已经开工的三个城铁站,有望在2016年底或2017年初开始运行。届时往返株洲湘潭只需半个小时。
(emphasis mine)

Substantially longer than Nanjing's “S” lines (this is 250+ km), the Ning'an ICR [宁安城际铁路] is due to begin testing this July with opening for passengers by the end of the year – possibly by Oct. 1 for National Holiday (from Baike.) Other sources seem in agreement.

One of a number of lines opening up in Heilongjiang (in addition to Harbin-Mudangjiang and Harbin-Jiamusi) the Haqi PDL appears to have begun testing on May 1st and is expected to open up on August 1st of this year according to local anews sites.

This is the third line to be constructed between these because why the f- not? (#1 opened in 1952 and is 500km long, #2 opened in 2006 with highspeed in 2009 is 300km long – this one is of equal length but follows a more southerly track) Estimated time of completion is October of 2015, again for National Holiday, according to local news sites. But not the local newspaper that has kept mum about it.

These two are being built together as two sides of a triangle joining the major towns in Liaoning province. Dandong lies on the border with the DPRK and Dalian is a coastal in the middle of the Liaoning peninsula. The Shenyang-Dandong connection is satisfied by the Harbin-Dalian line.

The first line, the Shendan PDL [沈丹客运专线] is scheduled to be completed by August whilst the second line, the Dongda Highspeed Railway [丹大高速铁路] has only a vague date of “later half of 2015.” Hard sources were hard to come by on Baidu though so had to be satisfied with the Baike articles.

chornedsnorkack, Svartmetall liked this post
孟天宝 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #9398
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by 孟天宝 View Post

This is the last part of the Hukun High-speed Railway [沪昆高速铁路] that starts in Shanghai and ends in Kunming. The Nanchang-Changsha section opened last Sept, and then the Hangzhou-Nanchang and Changsha-Xinhuang sections in December.

According to a release from the Guizhou gov't the Xinhuang-Guiyang section will open next month on the 16th after “debugging” since April. Apparently, they are a half month early too, hurray!

This is part of the Daxi High-speed Railway [大西客运专线] which links Datong in Shanxi [山西] province to Xi'an in Shaanxi province[陕西] The first section opened last year in July and connected the capitals of the two province; Taiyuan in Shanxi to Xi'an in Shaanxi.

This article suggests a small extension to Yuanping [原平] by June of this year
So these two:
Xinhuang-Guiyang
Taiyuan-Yuanping
are to open this June.
And Xinhuang-Guiyang would be on 16th...
Does anyone know on which day of June Taiyuan-Yuanping might open?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 11:35 PM   #9399
voyager221

Something bit different, Japanese railway anime and cosplay in China, 中華鉄道少女

Old May 18th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #9400
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

What the...
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail