daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #9701
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52305

Shanghai Maglev by memos to the future, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #9702
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

^ That is not a CRH train.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #9703
abcpdo

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Nice catch. Technically it's a high speed magnetically levitated monorail.
abcpdo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #9704
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
It might not be CRH-branded, but it's most definitely High Speed Rail. Not steel wheel, not dual rail. But High Speed Rail nonetheless.

The topic of this thread is not CRH. It is High Speed Rail in China. The Shanghai Maglev falls in that category, whether you like it or not

JuaanAcosta, FM 2258, Swede liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:40 PM   #9705
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 368

That's the maglev which is apparently only going to the airport and nowhere else.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #9706
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101926

Taken from CCTV Facebook page in Russian

Quote:
Witness of a miracle!
A foreigner has taken a HSR train from Beijing to Shanghai and decided to carry out an experiment. He took a coin and put it on the sill in the upward position. At a speed of 300 km/h the coin was standing for 8 minutes. Neither did i fall when tre train started slowinf down while approaching Changzhou North station. It only fell when the train swapped to another track.
Translation is mine.

I don't know how to put the movie here, so I just give you a link:

https://www.facebook.com/cctvrussian...60982150638786

I really think Chinese HSR is now the best in the world.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Federation2014 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #9707
xjtyou

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
Taken from CCTV Facebook page in Russian

Translation is mine.

I don't know how to put the movie here, so I just give you a link:

https://www.facebook.com/cctvrussian...60982150638786

I really think Chinese HSR is now the best in the world.
Ah,the original one is here on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUtS8M90Fto

xjtyou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #9708
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
It might not be CRH-branded, but it's most definitely High Speed Rail. Not steel wheel, not dual rail. But High Speed Rail nonetheless.

The topic of this thread is not CRH. It is High Speed Rail in China. The Shanghai Maglev falls in that category, whether you like it or not
Intra-city maglev goes in this thread.
Old July 17th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #9709
Silly_Walks

That's not for High Speed maglev, just for rapid transit maglev.

The Shanghai maglev is just as at home here as it is there.
Old July 18th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #9710
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

The thread is titled 'High speed Rail in China'. Is Shanghai Maglev 'high-speed rail'? The answer is 'yes'. Therefore it does belong in this thread.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:47 AM   #9711
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:

That's not for High Speed maglev, just for rapid transit maglev.

The Shanghai maglev is just as at home here as it is there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
The thread is titled 'High speed Rail in China'. Is Shanghai Maglev 'high-speed rail'? The answer is 'yes'. Therefore it does belong in this thread.

Urban maglev projects are also operating at much higher speeds than typical urban rail, but belong to the Subways and Urban Transport section for obvious reasons.

If the Shanghai maglev were to extend to Hangzhou, connecting 2 different cities, rather than 2 stops within the same district, then it belongs in here.

If both of you had read the front page to the Infrastructure and Mobility section, you will immediately realize that the Railways section has this sub-header : (Inter)national commuter and freight trains. This means a much broader network of high-speed rail that has much wider implications than urban / intra-city transport.

You will also see the Subways and Urban Transport section includes local transport systems.

Think the distinction is very obvious and clear.
Old July 18th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #9712
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Urban maglev projects are also operating at much higher speeds than typical urban rail, but belong to the Subways and Urban Transport section for obvious reasons.
Oh? The ones I've seen go about 80-120 km/h. Not at all High Speed.

The name of the thread is "CHINA | High Speed Rail". Shanghai Maglev fits the thread title.

It was meant to be a longer distance line to Hangzhou. It is an unfinished longer distance line. It is NOT rapid transit at ALL.

Old July 18th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #9713
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Oh? The ones I've seen go about 80-120 km/h. Not at all High Speed.

The name of the thread is "CHINA | High Speed Rail". Shanghai Maglev fits the thread title.

It was meant to be a longer distance line to Hangzhou. It is an unfinished longer distance line. It is NOT rapid transit at ALL.

This is a thread about high-speed rail in China under the Railways section with sub-header that it is intended for (Inter)national commuter and freight trains.

Shanghai maglev was not designed to be an intercity, national, international, or even commuter line to fit the sub-header description. It was a demonstration line built by Transrapid. Their intention was to sell maglev technology for the Beijing-Shanghai line but not by extending the Pudong airport link.

This intra-city line belongs to the Subways and Urban Transport section. You yourself had raised some posts on this maglev in the Subways and Urban Transport section already. Not sure why you are being inconsistent with your posts now when you recently had believed maglev discussions belonged there and not here. Let's not create duplication and redundant posts. One project cannot belong to 2 separate and distinct sections.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 18th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #9714
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By chwgch from dcfever :

big-dog, mrsmartman, Federation2014 liked this post
Old July 19th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #9715
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Their intention was to sell maglev technology for the Beijing-Shanghai line but not by extending the Pudong airport link.
What TransRapid's reason was for building the line doesn't really matter much in this 'discussion'.

What does matter is that the line *was* supposed to be extended to Hongqiao (the platforms are/were already there to receive the new Maglev lines) and Hangzhou. It just turned out to be too expensive, and the regular HSR turned out to be good enough for Shanghai-Hangzhou.

Quote:
This intra-city line belongs to the Subways and Urban Transport section. You yourself had raised some posts on this maglev in the Subways and Urban Transport section already. Not sure why you are being inconsistent with your posts now when you recently had believed maglev discussions belonged there and not here. Let's not create duplication and redundant posts. One project cannot belong to 2 separate and distinct sections.
I was pretty consistent, because if you see my post a little bit to the top:
"The Shanghai maglev is just as at home here as it is there."

I know this blows your world view enough to keep you occupied for many posts now already, but the Shanghai Maglev is at home in both topics.

Oasis-Bangkok posted a beautiful picture of a High Speed Train, and you are being nit-picky about it. There is such a thing as taking it too far. Now if it was a picture of a tram, I would have corrected him myself, but in this specific case I suggest you go do something other than making a mountain out of a molehill.

Cheers!
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #9716
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
What TransRapid's reason was for building the line doesn't really matter much in this 'discussion'.

What does matter is that the line *was* supposed to be extended to Hongqiao (the platforms are/were already there to receive the new Maglev lines) and Hangzhou. It just turned out to be too expensive, and the regular HSR turned out to be good enough for Shanghai-Hangzhou.
By now, we all know now it is not going to be extended, and hence is a local transit line, which belongs to the Subways and Urban Transport section for local transport systems.

Quote:
I was pretty consistent, because if you see my post a little bit to the top:
"The Shanghai maglev is just as at home here as it is there."
We should avoid duplicating content across different subsections of the Infrastructure and Mobility Forums. It does not belong here because it is not an (Inter)national commuter and freight train as described as a sub-header to this section. You have not addressed why a local transit line should be considered a national train system for discussion in this thread.

If people have lovely pictures of the maglev system, put it in the right place and we can discuss it there.

Old July 21st, 2015, 02:36 AM   #9717
voyager221

Likes (Received): 778

Less than three weeks before the inauguaration day of Harbin-Qiqihar PDL, doubled-up CRH5As spotted passing through wetland nature reserve just outside Daqing city - the oil capital of China

By 大谷DF11G

Old July 21st, 2015, 05:36 AM   #9718
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

That is a fantastic picture. Seriously, maybe the best. Please, share hi-res version of it if you find it.

Great picture.

foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 01:59 AM   #9719
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

What on earth is that factory?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 02:18 AM   #9720
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto