daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #10621
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short View Post
I agree that it is a bad time to travel. I got caught out once on July 1st, because it was the first day of Summer holidays and students were heading home from colleges everywhere, I was forced to stand from Beijing to Shanghai.
Yikes ... they sell standing tickets between Beijing and Shanghai? I thought that was for short shuttle trips only like Beijing - Tianjin.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #10622
Short

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Yikes ... they sell standing tickets between Beijing and Shanghai? I thought that was for short shuttle trips only like Beijing - Tianjin.
There are standing tickets for the longest of journeys if all hard seats sell out. That is why some innovative people bring extra fold up stools to sell to other standing customers on long distance journeys, as people try to walk over and around you. Had a standing ticket from Lanzhou to Beijing once but managed to upgrade my ticket once onboard.

However, my trip in 2010 was so packed, it was literally standing room only. I had the space I stood and that was it, no moving about for anyone. No conductors checked tickets even once and definitely no food trolleys. Was 12 hours of hell, but still enjoyable in that sadistic adventuring way. There was a great camaraderie amongst passengers, with a seeming endless passage of instant noodles and tea urns to be filled with hot water, passed from person to person back and forth without complaint or murmur.

At the end of it, on arrival in Shanghai with no sleep, I simply crashed out for the day in my hotel room. However, it is not as taxing as a 38+ hour hard seat ride which I have also done on a couple of occasions too.
Short no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 11:42 AM   #10623
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18188

Quote:
There are standing tickets for the longest of journeys if all hard seats sell out. That is why some innovative people bring extra fold up stools to sell to other standing customers on long distance journeys, as people try to walk over and around you. Had a standing ticket from Lanzhou to Beijing once but managed to upgrade my ticket once onboard.

However, my trip in 2010 was so packed, it was literally standing room only. I had the space I stood and that was it, no moving about for anyone. No conductors checked tickets even once and definitely no food trolleys. Was 12 hours of hell, but still enjoyable in that sadistic adventuring way. There was a great camaraderie amongst passengers, with a seeming endless passage of instant noodles and tea urns to be filled with hot water, passed from person to person back and forth without complaint or murmur.

At the end of it, on arrival in Shanghai with no sleep, I simply crashed out for the day in my hotel room. However, it is not as taxing as a 38+ hour hard seat ride which I have also done on a couple of occasions too.
Oh ... was this a G or D train? I was a bit confused you stood on the high-speed train for such a long journey. If it is a slow train like the K ones then it makes sense.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #10624
Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Oh ... was this a G or D train? I was a bit confused you stood on the high-speed train for such a long journey. If it is a slow train like the K ones then it makes sense.
Sorry, I did not clarify that. It was a K train from Beijing to Shanghai, basically because I could not get a G or D train (sold out), because I could not buy a ticket until I got to Beijing under the system that was then.

The standing ticket from Lanzhou to Beijing was for a T train.
Old January 13th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #10625
Fabb

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Personally I use the Ctrip website for all my travel in China and there has been constant improvements for rail travel.
http://english.ctrip.com
@Short & gowallstmichael, thanks a lot !

I'll do my best to book early.
I'm looking forward to this trip. I did Guangzhou-Shenzhen once (in 2013), but it wasn't a high speed train.
Fabb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 06:00 PM   #10626
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 810

According to my knowledge, standing-only tickets are also sold on high speed G and D trains.
This is one of the reasons why you should buy a first class seat in these trains.
In the second class trains, the aisles are jam-packed by these standing-only passengers. Those pax are not allowed into the first class car.
Moreover, when there are too many people onboard, the trolley food service is not operated.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #10627
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Personally I use the Ctrip website for all my travel in China and there has been constant improvements for rail travel.
http://english.ctrip.com
ask you!
Ctrip website is real or fake?? I feel trouble about it after I read Ctrip website caught in fake ticket scandal about CCTVNews by facebook!!
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 02:56 AM   #10628
Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosBlueDragon View Post
ask you!
Ctrip website is real or fake?? I feel trouble about it after I read Ctrip website caught in fake ticket scandal about CCTVNews by facebook!!
Trust me, it is a legit website. It is a major huge corporation. It would deal in millions of transactions everyday. So a single incident is not a true reflection on the whole company. Whatever the glitch was that caused the incident in Japan, they were upfront and corrected the problem, the passenger was delayed but never stranded.

Personally I can vouch for the their call service. They have have always been easy to deal with. The only hassle I have had was when I was trying to circumvent the system, booking into a hotel not registered for Foreigners (had stayed there previously, booked by a local). Ctrip cancelled the booking because I was trying to do the wrong thing but after calling them, they put me in touch directly with the hotel management and acted as a translator to make the booking. So in the end, problem solved.

CarlosBlueDragon liked this post
Old January 14th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #10629
Short

News from the State Reform and Development Commission and the Ministry of Transport. Beijing, Hebei and Tianjin are seeking to emulate the national policy of 4 vertical and 4 horizontal high-speed railways for regional travel to be completed by 2050. Some lines are already in operation but with extra infill stations being built, such as the Beijing-Tianjin line. Some of the new lines will serve the new Beijing Daxing Airport, to allow it to act as a central airport for Beijing, Hebei and Tianjin.

4 Vertical North-South lines are:-
  • Beijing-Shijiazhuang-Handan
  • Beijing-Bazhou-Hengshui
  • Qinhuangdao-Tangshan-Tianjin-Huanghua
  • Chengde-Tianjin-Changzhou

4 Horizontal East-West lines are:-
  • Beijing-Tianjin-Tanggu
  • Beijing-Tanshan-Qinhuangdao
  • Tianjin-Baoding
  • Shijiazhuang-Changzhou-Huanghua

Last edited by Short; January 14th, 2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #10630
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Beijing, Hebei and Tianjin are seeking to emulate the national policy of 4 vertical and 4 horizontal high-speed railways for regional travel to be completed by 2050.
Thatīs a long time...
Quote:
Some lines are already in operation but with extra infill stations being built, such as the Beijing-Tianjin line. Some of the new lines will serve the new Beijing Daxing Airport, to allow it to act as a central airport for Beijing, Hebei and Tianjin.

4 Vertical North-South lines are:-

Beijing-Shijiazhuang-Handan
Exists, goes on to Shenzhen.
Quote:
Beijing-Bazhou-Hengshui
Qinhuangdao-Tangshan-Tianjin-Huanghua
Chengde-Tianjin-Changzhou
Changzhou is in Jiangsu.
Quote:
4 Horizontal East-West lines are:-

Beijing-Tianjin-Tanggu
Exists.
Quote:
Beijing-Tanshan-Qinhuangdao
Tianjin-Baoding
Exists.
Quote:
Shijiazhuang-Changzhou-Huanghua
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #10631
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Thatīs a long time...

Exists, goes on to Shenzhen.

Changzhou is in Jiangsu.

Exists.

Exists.

These are probably additional C lines, which runs on different tracks than long haul system. (Hopefully it will follow a metro like ticketing and boarding process)

I think he means cangzhou, many Chinese people confused c and ch in pinyin.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #10632
chornedsnorkack

Note how this is geared to "Hebei"!
Handan is in Hebei.
It also is 175 km from Shijiazhuang, 237 km from Zhengzhou and 456 km from Beijing.
Look at another direction.
Beijing-Jinan is 406 km.
Jinan is a rather more important city than Handan.
And also just 301 km from Tianjin, which is a rather more important city than Baoding.
Should rail connectivity be improved between Beijing-Tianjin-Jinan, rather than cut it short at Cangzhou?
Old January 14th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #10633
luhai

CHINA | High Speed Rail

Quote:
Note how this is geared to "Hebei"!

Handan is in Hebei.

It also is 175 km from Shijiazhuang, 237 km from Zhengzhou and 456 km from Beijing.

Look at another direction.

Beijing-Jinan is 406 km.

Jinan is a rather more important city than Handan.

And also just 301 km from Tianjin, which is a rather more important city than Baoding.

Should rail connectivity be improved between Beijing-Tianjin-Jinan, rather than cut it short at Cangzhou?
There more to infrastructure than just geography, politics, history and economics is at play as well.

Hebei is a much poorer province than shandong, in large part because regional economy is overshandowed by Beijing and tianjin. Jinan and standong is once of the stronger provinces of China, and it will probably do its own thing regarding regional rail, they probably don't want to be sucked into beijing's orbit anyway.

For a province, hebei is in away crippled, since as Beijing and Tianjin was cut out it, back when the province was known as Zhili, so now its economy is basically a one trick pony in steel making and its capital is literally China's largest village. (Shijiazhuan literally means village of the shi family), so Jingjinji integration we see now is really just recreating the historical Zhili. While shandong has a real local economy with nice deep water ports, famous tourism sites, centers for both light and heavy industry as well a center of finance, additionally standong already have a very nice local highway jetway supporting an extensive intercity bus system that pushing slow trains out of business. Jinan would prefer to be the center of that rather than just peripheral city for beijing, so for it a long haul connection to Beijing make more sense. And perhaps later there will c train running to put up some competition to the intercity buses.

As for Handan, it used to be capital of zhao state and historically a extremely important in northern China way before Jinan, and historically shandong was centered around zibo and xuzhou.

Last edited by luhai; January 14th, 2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old January 14th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #10634
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai View Post
Hebei is a much poorer province than shandong, in large part because regional economy is overshandowed by Beijing and tianjin. Jinan and standong is once of the stronger provinces of China, and it will probably do its own thing regarding regional rail, they probably don't want to be sucked into beijing's orbit anyway.
Yes, but for example Wuqiao is much closer to Jinan (140 km by slow speed railway) than to Beijing (355 km by slow speed railway). A good rail connection or several between Beijing and Jinan serving destinations in between could suck parts of Hebei into Jinanīs orbit instead.
Or for example, Dongying is a rich city - oil and port. Is a railway needed between Dongying and Huanghua?
Old January 14th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #10635
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Quote:
Trust me, it is a legit website. It is a major huge corporation. It would deal in millions of transactions everyday. So a single incident is not a true reflection on the whole company. Whatever the glitch was that caused the incident in Japan, they were upfront and corrected the problem, the passenger was delayed but never stranded.

Personally I can vouch for the their call service. They have have always been easy to deal with. The only hassle I have had was when I was trying to circumvent the system, booking into a hotel not registered for Foreigners (had stayed there previously, booked by a local). Ctrip cancelled the booking because I was trying to do the wrong thing but after calling them, they put me in touch directly with the hotel management and acted as a translator to make the booking. So in the end, problem solved.
ok!! Thank You, brother!
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
Old January 14th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #10636
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

I want know
From Wuhan Railway Station to Nanjing South Railway Station
timetable?? only G??
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
I LoVe ChInA
Old January 14th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #10637
luhai

Quote:
Yes, but for example Wuqiao is much closer to Jinan (140 km by slow speed railway) than to Beijing (355 km by slow speed railway). A good rail connection or several between Beijing and Jinan serving destinations in between could suck parts of Hebei into Jinanīs orbit instead.
Or for example, Dongying is a rich city - oil and port. Is a railway needed between Dongying and Huanghua?

Well, you have be careful in stealing cities across provincial lines, Jiangsu already have problems with Suzhou and wuxi being too closely integrated with shanghai than the rest of the province, (provincial fund allocated to them does nothing in lifting the poorer region of the province) and the constant tension between north and south regarding development priorities. Anhui also has the same problem with Hefei integrates too closely with Jiangsu than the rest of Anhui, despite it being its capital.
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #10638
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Anhui also has the same problem with Hefei integrates too closely with Jiangsu than the rest of Anhui, despite it being its capital.
Maanshan is just 42 km from Nanjing South - much closer than Suzhou. Should Wuhu and Tongling integrate with Jiangsu?
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #10639
luhai

CHINA | High Speed Rail

Quote:
Maanshan is just 42 km from Nanjing South - much closer than Suzhou. Should Wuhu and Tongling integrate with Jiangsu?

Then all the richer region of anhui will effectively be jiangsu and zhejiang, and places like fuyang and anqing will be completely screwed.
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #10640
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Then all the richer region of anhui will effectively be jiangsu and zhejiang, and places like fuyang and anqing will be completely screwed.
Why is Anqing a terminus of Nanjing-Anqing high speed railway, rather than continue to, say, Jiujiang or Wuhan?

Tags
china, high speed rail