daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2016, 09:39 PM   #10661
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Are any HSR-s planned to open in Sheep Year?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2016, 11:08 PM   #10662
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowallstmichael View Post
Shanghai-Kunming HSR Guiyang North-Kunming South Section: at the end of 2016
Nanning-Kunming HSR Baise-Kunming South Section:mid 2016
So just a bit more patience and Kunming will be well connected HSR network.

FM 2258, dbhaskar, VECTROTALENZIS liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 08:20 PM   #10663
tjrgx

Likes (Received): 2816

The longest bridge on the Lianyungang Yancheng Railway completes joining

Old February 1st, 2016, 01:16 AM   #10664
xinxingren

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdk View Post
"In 2014, the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway transported more than 100 million people, with more than 250 trains running every day," Cai Qinghua, former chairman of Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Railway Corp, was earlier quoted as saying by Shanghai-based The Paper.

"Even that capacity cannot meet demand in peak periods. If demand keeps growing at speed, we may need a second Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway someday," he said.
Allowing for the "more than"s, taking a crude annual average, that's 1095 passengers per train. Now an old train of mixed YW, YZ, and WZ could take up to twice that number. But since they're stuck with the harmonious design principle of 8/16 cars per HSR unit, increasing passengers per train is an interesting exercise. Stacked bunk sleepers, like the old YW? Double decking could be tricky with the subfloor mechanics.
xinxingren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 01:54 AM   #10665
xinxingren

Five Days Administrative Detention
for attempting to carry kerosene onto an EMU. Seems like those baggage scanners can tell real mineral water from other substances
http://news.gaotie.cn/yishi/2016-01-04/295710.html
Old February 1st, 2016, 08:27 AM   #10666
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Not Sure where to post this. So Hyperloops in China? CRRC building Hyperloops in the US?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...n-moves-closer

China's CRRC Said in Hyperloop Talks as Musk Vision Moves Closer

Quote:
CRRC Corp., China’s biggest maker of railway equipment, is in talks for a potential investment in Hyperloop Technologies Inc., one of the startups trying to develop Elon Musk’s idea for a high-speed transportation system, according to people familiar with the matter.
The companies are discussing opportunities including collaboration and investment, the people said, asking not to be named because the details are private. The talks are in an an initial stage and no decisions have been made, the people said.
Musk, the billionaire founder of Tesla Motors Inc. and Space Exploration Technologies Corp., in 2013 outlined his vision for a transit system that could connect San Francisco and Los Angeles. Using low-pressure metal tubes with aluminum capsules, or pods, the concept would be able to support commuting speeds of more than 700 miles (1,100 kilometers) per hour.
CRRC, formed last year from the merger of two Chinese state-owned trainmakers, plans to double overseas sales in five years as it targets major orders.

luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 10:29 AM   #10667
dbhaskar

Likes (Received): 113

HSR Network Maps

I found some cool maps of China's high speed network on http://www.travelchinaguide.com/ Images are too big to insert here, so I provide URL instead:

High speed lines (opened): http://www.travelchinaguide.com/imag...ed-railway.jpg

High speed lines (opened + planned): http://www.travelchinaguide.com/imag...high-speed.jpg

The scale of this network is amazing!

Some (fantasy) lines that I wish existed (maybe around 2035):

Dalian-Yantai (Across Bohai Strait)
Urumqi-Kashgar
Dandong-Pyongyang-Seoul
Nanning-Chongzuo-Hanoi
Jilin-Hunchun-Vladivostok
Harbin-Jiamusi-Khabarovsk

FM 2258, foxmulder liked this post
dbhaskar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 02:39 PM   #10668
Olbrzym

Likes (Received): 3

High speed rail books

Please, advise me on books about high-speed railways, trains or high-speed railway network development or projects in the world, everything that concerns high speed rail transport and rail project management. Where can I download these books? I've spent much time searching for these books and found just a couple of books but only articles. Thank you!
Olbrzym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 06:40 PM   #10669
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhaskar View Post
I found some cool maps of China's high speed network on http://www.travelchinaguide.com/ Images are too big to insert here, so I provide URL instead:

High speed lines (opened): http://www.travelchinaguide.com/imag...ed-railway.jpg

High speed lines (opened + planned): http://www.travelchinaguide.com/imag...high-speed.jpg

The scale of this network is amazing!

Dalian-Yantai (Across Bohai Strait)
Id first want Zhanjiang-Haian-Haikou. Qiongzhou strait is easier than Bohai one, and there is no alternative overland route.
Oh, and Zhanjiang-Beihai as well. Otherwise Zhanjiang is a dead end.
Quote:
Urumqi-Kashgar
Parallel to existing Turpan-Kashgar slow speed railway?
Id also want Urumqi-Yining-Khorgos-Almaty.
Quote:
Dandong-Pyongyang-Seoul
Agreed.
Quote:
Nanning-Chongzuo-Hanoi
Where is Chongzuo?
Note that the map does not have Qinzhou-Fanchenggang high speed railway.
Old February 1st, 2016, 08:35 PM   #10670
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 2531

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Id first want Zhanjiang-Haian-Haikou. Qiongzhou strait is easier than Bohai one, and there is no alternative overland route.
Oh, and Zhanjiang-Beihai as well. Otherwise Zhanjiang is a dead end.

Parallel to existing Turpan-Kashgar slow speed railway?
Id also want Urumqi-Yining-Khorgos-Almaty.

Agreed.

Where is Chongzuo?
Note that the map does not have Qinzhou-Fanchenggang high speed railway.
Chongzuo (崇左市) is a prefect border to Vietnam with the main city of Pingxiang city (凭祥市) nearest to the border point to Vietnam [about 7 km from the Border] opposite to Lạng Sơn (諒山) - border town on Vietnam side

There is already mixed gauge rail link between Nang Ning and Gia Lm (rural District [suburb] on the Northern section of Hanoi - 5 km North of Hanoi (河內) station) - but current max speed is 70 kph - up from 40 kph - electrified double track would be pleased
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%E1%BA%A1ng_S%C6%A1n
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongzuo

BTW, It seems to me that you are western born Chinese rather than Chinese from the places other than the Mainland though.

Last edited by Wisarut; February 1st, 2016 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Addendum
Wisarut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 10:38 PM   #10671
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisarut View Post
Chongzuo (崇左市) is a prefect border to Vietnam with the main city of Pingxiang city (凭祥市) nearest to the border point to Vietnam [about 7 km from the Border] opposite to Lạng Sơn (諒山) - border town on Vietnam side

There is already mixed gauge rail link between Nang Ning and Gia Lm (rural District [suburb] on the Northern section of Hanoi - 5 km North of Hanoi (河內) station) - but current max speed is 70 kph - up from 40 kph - electrified
Oh, sure. Pingxiang I remembered as the border crossing.
My point is that high speed railway via Chongzuo and Pingxiang would double an existing slow speed rail route, whereas an obvious alternative route exists that has no railway. A high speed railway already exists to Fangchenggang, so it could be better to build a HSR along the coast to Hanoi, through places that have no railway now, yet deserve one.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 04:46 AM   #10672
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 2531

Quote:
Oh, sure. Pingxiang I remembered as the border crossing.
My point is that high speed railway via Chongzuo and Pingxiang would double an existing slow speed rail route, whereas an obvious alternative route exists that has no railway. A high speed railway already exists to Fangchenggang, so it could be better to build a HSR along the coast to Hanoi, through places that have no railway now, yet deserve one.
Hard to day if Vietnamese railway flatly refuse to make a rail connection to Fangchenggang as they would prefer to either double track or high speed on existing route which they are familiar with.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 09:51 AM   #10673
lookback718

Likes (Received): 10

[QUOTE=dbhaskar;130408512]

Urumqi-Kashgar

I don't think you will have to wait that long for that line.

It looks like China is planing on building Kashgar - Karakoram railway in the 2016 - 2020 five year plan. Me think this railway is not stopping on the border, and will go through to Pakistan - Gwadar. No mean feat to build a railway through the Karakoram Range...

There is also plans to link Kyrgyzstan - Uzbekistan (Fergena valley) and Kyrgyzstan - Tajikistan - Afghanistan, both from Kashgar.

With 3 major international links converging on Kashgar, a HSR may not be long away.
lookback718 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:47 AM   #10674
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookback718 View Post

Urumqi-Kashgar
At present, Urumqi-Kashgar slow speed railway has just 3 trains daily, trip time 19 to 26 hours.
A comparable distance Urumqi-Zhangye has 21 slow trains daily, trip time 12:30 to 18:26, and 5 high speed trains daily, trip time 8:24 to 8:34.
Should Turpan-Kashgar railway frequency and speed be improved?
Should Kashgar be served by direct trains to China?
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:36 AM   #10675
xinxingren

Quote:
I found some cool maps of China's high speed network
IIRC I saw maybe four years ago a HSR planning map that had the Cheng-Kun HSR line following roughly the "central" of the three routes originally proposed for the slow trains in 1950. A bit like the new Baise-Kunming HSR section, relatively easy country, but with no significant population centres. Now the map linked above shows Cheng-Kun HSR following the existing slow line. There will be demand northbound from Panzhihua and Xichang, but what HSR traffic would there be Guangtong-Panzhihua?

Part of the mystery may be in the new line/upgrade Kunming-Guangtong. To my untrained eye that seemed to be a 250km/hr design, but all slow traffic is now routed onto it, except a few local goods services.

Another part of the mystery is what I thought was a Potemkin HSR on the northern outskirts of Miyi between Panzhihua and Dechang. You can see the works on Google Earth at 2654'06"N 10207'19"E. I travelled by bicycle the length of the Cheng-Kun line from south to north, and in the 800 odd km between Guangtong and Emeishan I saw nothing else that looked vaguely like HSR.

dimlys1994, foxmulder, tigerleapgorge liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2016, 01:39 PM   #10676
chornedsnorkack

Shenzhen-Futian "high speed railway"

There seem to be 23 daily trains Longhua-Shenzhen, all of which originate from Guangzhou South for some reason, possibly because Guangzhou Railway Bureau consists of swine.

Travel time Longhua-Shenzhen 11 minutes... meaning 49 km/h. Plenty of slow speed railways are faster on such short nonstops.

Travel time Guangzhou-Futian is between 0:42 and 1:05.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 04:48 PM   #10677
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18188

Quote:
Travel time Guangzhou-Futian is between 0:42 and 1:05.
Still an improvement over the C trains from the Luohu terminus.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:12 PM   #10678
chornedsnorkack

Haikou and Sanya seem to be connected by:
1 train on Western slow railway;
3 trains on Western High Speed Railway;
8 trains on Eastern High Speed Raolway.
Correct?
Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:08 PM   #10679
xinxingren

Quote:
Haikou and Sanya seem to be connected by:
1 train on Western slow railway;
3 trains on Western High Speed Railway;
8 trains on Eastern High Speed Raolway.
Correct?
On a random day, Wednesday February 17 both 12306.com and huochepiao are showing me 42 D trains and the Z201. This includes trains from Haikou via Haikoudong to the eastern loop, and trains from Haikoudong via Haikou to the western loop. How many of each is left as an exercise for the gentle reader. Note the Beijing-Sanya Z201 takes the train ferry from the mainland, then goes down the eastern HSR line. This train used to have a T number.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 07:56 PM   #10680
tjrgx

Likes (Received): 2816

World's biggest maintenance center ready for travel rush

The Shanghai Hongqiao maintenance center is a home for high-speed trains. Nighttime gets busy here, as about 70 sets of trains are waiting for maintenance check. At least 2.5 hours are needed for each set. The mandatory body-check comes after 4,000 kilometers of travel, or 48 hours on rails.

Shanghai railway section takes one third of the nation's high-speed railway carriages. During the 40-day spring festival travel rush, an estimated 8 million passengers will be traveling by high-speed railways. Their safety is the priority for the mechanics working here.

Gong Yufeng is among the first batch of high-speed railway carriage inspectors since 2008. Tonight, his team of four inspectors will be checking five sets of trains. The first one turns out to be a problem.

The lubricating oil for the axial bearing wheel gear box is creaming; the low temperature might be the reason. We have to drain the oil from all axial bearings of this carriage, keep samples for further examination, and replace it with good oil, Gong said.

This problem, even though a minor one, takes them two extra hours. And given the Spring Festival travel rush, the mechanics have limited time for offline reparation. But the good news is this set of carriages is good to hit the trails tomorrow.

The Shanghai high-speed railway section is the first and the biggest in China. Nearly half of its 540 sets of carriages are sent to seven subordinated maintenance bases every day.

I walk at least 6 or 7 kilometers every night on shift. I have to go back and forth like 3 times to complete the checking procedure, and four to five trains a night. And thats the minimum distance when nothing goes wrong, Gong said.

More than 70 percent of departures from Shanghai railway stations are high-speed railway lines, an increase of 30 percent year-on-year. Safety and convenience make it the first choice of passengers, especially those who will come home for the holidays.

FM 2258, Norge78, Frank J. Sprague liked this post
tjrgx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail