daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #1461
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luli Pop View Post
does Hypertroll have a "suisse" cousin?

at 500km/h Beijing-Shanghai would be less than 2h20!!!
Not quite.

The distance is 1463 km on old railway. It is supposed to be 1305 km on new railway. Presumably there is not much chance for further straightening, or it would have been done already.

At average 500 km/h, it would mean 2:37, not less than 2:20. But average speed is not maximum.

I have heard that at maximum 380 km/h, Beijing-Shanghai should reach 329 km/h average. Which would mean 3:59. Is this trip time scheduled for service right from opening day? And which month of the year of the hare shall Shanghai-Beijing high speed railway open?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #1462
Ariel74

Likes (Received): 1

First of all, there is indeed nothing new about this "news". It is well known that the MOR was developing an experimental model for that speed range.

On the other hand, this experimental model is not intended for eventual commercial service. The more likely motivation for this research is to gain experience in the high-speed rail related technologies in general, and possibly paving the way for non-traditional rail technologies involving, say, vacuum trains.
Ariel74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #1463
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Has SMT marking and paint scheme, must be another locally produced Transrapid ready for testing.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #1464
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel74 View Post
First of all, there is indeed nothing new about this "news". It is well known that the MOR was developing an experimental model for that speed range.

On the other hand, this experimental model is not intended for eventual commercial service. The more likely motivation for this research is to gain experience in the high-speed rail related technologies in general, and possibly paving the way for non-traditional rail technologies involving, say, vacuum trains.
This is official confirmation from MOR hence the news status. I am not aware of any previous official announcement. Can you share it with us?
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #1465
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
That is why they are developing (investing time and money on R&D) it, to have an operational 500km/h train. That is why this is news. Also, I want to remind you that 350km/h is operational speed for some trains in China right now. 380km/h is right around the corner. 500km/h is distant future maybe they cannot reach there but thanks to R&D we might see ~420km/h.
I suspect however that during the research they will, amongst other thins, discover that the same laws of physics apply in China as in Europe.
No, I'm joking, I am sure that Chinese engineers are as smart as European.
But energy use rises exponentially with speed, as does wear on the infrastructure. That means the cost of the service (and hence, in any normal system, the price of the ticket) will rise exponentially, where the gains are only linear. I think that 500kph is way above the point of diminishing returns.
Alternatively you could run the service at a massive loss just for the image, something I don't see even the Chinese doing.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #1466
Ariel74

Quote:
This is official confirmation from MOR hence the news status. I am not aware of any previous official announcement. Can you share it with us?
Please try reading more carefully before asking inappropriate questions. I never said the announcement is not "news" in the journalistic sense of the word. I said the content is not new, and it has been known.

(I hope correcting some forumer's basic reading problems does not raise the ire of the moderators again. It's just plain annoying to have to respond to people who don't or can't read).
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #1467
foxmulder

Quote:
Please try reading more carefully before asking inappropriate questions. I never said the announcement is not "news" in the journalistic sense of the word. I said the content is not new, and it has been known.

(I hope correcting some forumer's basic reading problems does not raise the ire of the moderators again. It's just plain annoying to have to respond to people who don't or can't read).
So, it is indeed news.
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #1468
Ariel74

Quote:
So, it is indeed news.
Please don't quote my message when what you write has nothing to do with it.

Since I've not yet seen any contribution of substance from you, I'm afraid you are going to be on my ignore list now. So, no need to quote me anyhow, I can't read it.
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #1469
foxmulder

Quote:
Please don't quote my message when what you write has nothing to do with it.

Since I've not yet seen any contribution of substance from you, I'm afraid you are going to be on my ignore list now. So, no need to quote me anyhow, I can't read it.
So sad...
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #1470
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Any conventional train trying to run at 500Km for a long distance is going to have massive heat problem due to electrical resistance from the conductive copper wiring.
It's like overclocking a PC except the only option is to increase power input by more than twice the amount when running a train at 350Km/h.
Dissipating heat from the copper wire coil directly is near impossible since it needs to be as light as possible to obtain the high speed .
Other option is using super conductive material which defeats the cause since it will be lot easier to utilize a maglev configuration then conventional wheel on rail solution with the noted energy.

Last edited by SamuraiBlue; October 20th, 2010 at 02:20 AM.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #1471
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #1472
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

Why don´t apply cavitation effect to the hyper-speed train?

Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #1473
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Just quoting:

Quote:
Please try reading more carefully before asking inappropriate questions.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
China starts it's research on the next generation CRH trains & HSR technologies, which will increase the top speed of non-maglev commercial service to 500km/h.confirmed by an chief Engineer of Chinese MOR.
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #1474
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

After the Chinese indigenous CRH380 trains, the new 500 km/h train is a logical step. China can leverage its knowledge in high precision engineering and aerospace research gained from the launching of Chinese GPS satellites and the moon orbiter. The aerodynamics of the trains can be improved to allow the increase in speed.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #1475
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12280

**ahem**

Everyone please resist the temptation to turn this into yet another hissy fit session. Or else.
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #1476
Ariel74

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
After the Chinese indigenous CRH380 trains, the new 500 km/h train is a logical step. China can leverage its knowledge in high precision engineering and aerospace research gained from the launching of Chinese GPS satellites and the moon orbiter. The aerodynamics of the trains can be improved to allow the increase in speed.

Well, with non-traditional technologies like vacuum trains or maglev, maybe. But with traditional technology, forget it. There was a few months ago in the news a report in which a member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences said that commercial service with a sustained top speed above 400km/h is simply not feasible with traditional rail technology. From 400km/h to 500km/h is yet another leap. And I am sure the Chinese scientists know what they are doing better than some random nationalist forumers.

The train CIT400 by the way has been known amongst the (Chinese) railway fans for at least over a year. Just go over to ourail.com and search for "CIT400". Its express purpose was, and still is, to conduct scientific experiments, rather than aimed at commercial service.
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #1477
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
The aerodynamics of the trains can be improved to allow the increase in speed.
Not much. Aerodynamics is already quite explored science feature.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:09 AM   #1478
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

Does CRH offer direct city-to-city trips that don't stop along the way, ie. Guangzhou to Wuhan direct?
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:04 AM   #1479
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
Does CRH offer direct city-to-city trips that don't stop along the way, ie. Guangzhou to Wuhan direct?
No. Non-stop trains have been canceled since July 1, 2010.
yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:20 AM   #1480
ruffarambo1
BANNED

amazing railport!!!
ruffarambo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail