daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #1701
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9427

Hey Guys! I would like to ask a quick question. Probably the answer is quite obvious for the forumers here, but sadly I only visit this thread rarely.

Is the Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Railway line open for the puplic yet? I've seen couple of videos, but wiki says, for commercial use it will only be opened in June.

I'll be arriving to Beijing on the 13th of June. Is the new line going to be opened by that time? And what's the easiest and cheapest way to purchase a tickett till Shanghai?

If it's too off topic, I'd be very happy to get infos in PM as well.

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #1702
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

Suppose to open in June 2011
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #1703
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post
Hey Guys! I would like to ask a quick question. Probably the answer is quite obvious for the forumers here, but sadly I only visit this thread rarely.

Is the Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Railway line open for the puplic yet? I've seen couple of videos, but wiki says, for commercial use it will only be opened in June.

I'll be arriving to Beijing on the 13th of June. Is the new line going to be opened by that time? And what's the easiest and cheapest way to purchase a tickett till Shanghai?

If it's too off topic, I'd be very happy to get infos in PM as well.
It's supposed to open around June 15th, and the only way to buy tickets is to go to the train station and buy them (either from the ticket office or electronic machine), no discounts available.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #1704
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

1.11 Chengdu-Beijing, Chengdu-Shanghai sleeper CRH opens

Chengdu-Beijing CRH runs for 15 hours 50 minutes, shortening the travel time by 10 hours.

by chinanews.com

Last edited by big-dog; January 12th, 2011 at 09:04 AM.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #1705
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post

Chengdu-Beijing CRH runs for 15 hours 50 minutes, shortening the travel time by 10 hours.

Which train is it? Is it CRH1E?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #1706
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

Hold on.

I checked the road distance on Google Maps and its about 1800km. So assuming that the rail parallels the road and it took 16h, that averages the speed to be just over 110 km/h, which I'm sure is not exactly high speed

I hence assume that the greater part of the journey are on the normal non-HSR tracks, or did I make a mistake somewhere?

Hmmm...
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1707
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

How long are the beds? Western male travelers who tend to be taller might experience some discomfort. Chinese median heights will improve over time as diets improve as well.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #1708
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post
Hold on.

I checked the road distance on Google Maps and its about 1800km. So assuming that the rail parallels the road and it took 16h, that averages the speed to be just over 110 km/h, which I'm sure is not exactly high speed

I hence assume that the greater part of the journey are on the normal non-HSR tracks, or did I make a mistake somewhere?

Hmmm...
Most of the journey will be on conventional tracks, hence the D-designation instead of G.
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #1709
HunanChina

Likes (Received): 5

D318 Chengdu->Beijing D317 Beijing->Chengdu.

Go, Let's go to Chengdu to looking the J-20. Ha.. Just kidding.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by HunanChina; January 12th, 2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: add pictures...
HunanChina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #1710
HunanChina

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
How long are the beds? Western male travelers who tend to be taller might experience some discomfort. Chinese median heights will improve over time as diets improve as well.
Look at this. It's maybe about 1.9-2m, by eyeballing.
image hosted on flickr
HunanChina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #1711
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

I rode the Shanghai-Beijing sleeper before and I'm 5'10, there is about a foot of clearance.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #1712
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Sleeper trains

Are any more 200 km/h sleeper trains (CRH1E and CRH2E) due for delivery?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #1713
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

HIGH-SPEED TRAINS RESHAPE NATION'S TRANSPORT LANDSCAPE
12 January 2011
China Daily

BEIJING - The rapidly expanding high-speed rail network will increase the pressure on the country's roads in the coming holiday travel peak period and has already forced airlines to quit some short-distance routes, officials said on Tuesday.

Some 5,149 km of high-speed track were put into service last year, making the network stretch to 8,358 km, the world's longest, the Ministry of Railways said.

But the opening of more fast train services has led to fewer regular trains being available for budget-conscious passengers in the upcoming Spring Festival holiday period, Ministry of Transport spokesman He Jianzhong said on Tuesday.

The railway ministry has added luxury services to bullet trains on several routes, hoping to provide more diversified service.

For example, a luxury sleeper service was added between Shanghai and Chengdu, capital of Sichuan province, with tickets costing up to 2,330 yuan ($352).

But many travelers cannot afford the tickets, causing a waste of transport capacity.

According to a report in the Shanghai-based Oriental Morning Post on Tuesday, hundreds of soft berths on bullet trains between Chengdu and Shanghai will be vacant, although cheaper tickets have sold out.

He Jianzhong said this year the situation had pushed many passengers, who used to ride home by slow trains because of the cheap tickets, onto long-distance buses.

This extra traffic will add pressure to the road transport system during the travel peak season, He said.

The Ministry of Transport estimated that a record high of 2.6 billion bus passenger trips will be made during the peak time between Jan 19 and Feb 27, an increase of 11.6 percent on the same period last year.

The transport sector plans to increase capacity to handle the extra traffic. A total of 840,000 buses, including 70,000 added this year, will hit the road during the travel peak, making 2.4 million road trips a day, he said.

While giving away some passengers to road transport, the high-speed railways, at the same time, have attracted more affluent travelers from the airlines.

Wang Changshun, deputy head of the Civil Aviation Administration of China, told a conference on Tuesday that the fast trains have forced some airlines to cancel short-distance flights along high-speed rail lines.

For example, the Wuhan-Guangzhou high-speed railway, where every few minutes trains zip between the two cities via Changsha, capital of Central China's Hunan province, has carried 20.6 million passengers in the year since its opening in December 2009.

During that period the number of flights between Changsha and Guangzhou has been cut from an average of 11.5 flights a day to three flights a day, he said.

Hainan and Shenzhen airlines decided to withdraw from the market, leaving only China Southern Airlines carrying the three daily flights, Wang said.

The ticket price for those flights also dropped by 15 percent to attract travelers, but still the number of passengers flying between Changsha and Guangzhou dropped by 48 percent to 390,000 during 2010, he said.

"The opening of the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed line next year will be another blow to the air transport industry," Wang said, without forecasting how serious the impact will be.

Airlines have been urged to cut costs, reduce delays and seek cooperation opportunities with high-speed railways.

Tan Zongyang contributed to this story.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #1714
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16068

A new record today: 487.3km/h
http://news.cntv.cn/china/20110113/109260.shtml

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #1715
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post

How long the line is it ?

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #1716
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
it is the same news that greenlion posted in 'China|high speed trainsets' on Jan 10th (the record was set on 9th).

The most important thing here is that this is a modified trainset, so the record does not mean much except it is now the speed record for any modified/unmodified conventional trainset in China.

And I am speechless about the unprofessional report zorg quoted:
http://news.cntv.cn/china/20110113/109260.shtml
Quote:
记者从中国北车集团唐山轨道客车有限公司获悉,由唐车公司自主创新研制的新一代“和谐号”CRH380BL高速动车组,在京沪高速铁路先导段运行试验中创造了每小时487.3公里的世界铁路运营试验最高速,再次刷新此前该公司创造的486.1公里的世界纪录。
据了解,此前世界铁路运营试验最高速也是由唐车公司创造的。2010年12月3日,在京沪高铁枣庄至蚌埠间的先导段联调联试和综合试验中,国产“和谐号”CRH380A新一代高速动车组最高运行时速达到486.1公里。
PS: the mistake was fixed in a later version.
http://www.he.xinhuanet.com/news/201...t_21858113.htm
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #1717
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Most of the journey will be on conventional tracks, hence the D-designation instead of G.
I am not familiar with CRH designations so what does D or G represent?
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #1718
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
I am not familiar with CRH designations so what does D or G represent?
D stands for dongche, Chinese for multiple units, and G stands for gaosu, Chinese for high-speed. The designations might seem a bit bezarre as you can have low-speed multiple unites like metros and commuter trains, as well loco-hauled high-speed trains like the French TGV.

Before the advent of CRH Chinese trains were completely loco-hauled. When the 250km/h high-speed train sets came they were the first multiple units, so they called them the D-class for multiple units, and shared tracks with conventional trains. Then high-speed tracks were constructed allowing higher speeds of up to 350km/h, so a new class was required and they chose G for high-speed.
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #1719
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Generally speaking D trains run at max 250km/h on dedicated and upgraded track, and G trains run at max 350km/h on dedicated track.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #1720
NCT
Not Cwite There

Generally speaking yes, though 350km/h trains are known to operate D services.

Tags
china, high speed rail