daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #1821
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/...yond-4665.html

China’s Bullet-Train Network Creates Major Economic Benefits In 2011 And Beyond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proactiveinvestors United Kingdom
The 105-kilometer Guangzhou-Shenzhen line will open in May, followed by the 1,318-kilometer Shanghai-Beijing line in June.
Is Guangzhou-Shenzhen line on schedule for May opening?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #1822
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

One thing is, all important infrastructure targets such as major railway bridges/tunnels are guarded by the People's Armed Police corps. Smaller bridges/viaducts and tunnels are guarded by the local county or township level police or reserve units. And the entire railway system is constantly patrolled by MOR workers. I went on an recent train spotting trip on the Shanghai-Nanjing ICL and the entire line is closed off to the general public, it's protected with barbwire lined fence, motion detector, cameras, and access control gates. Of course this is limited to dedicated HSR lines, the mixed lines are not as well protected, but I'd argue in China, there are far easier targets for the terrorists than HSR.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #1823
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Thanks for awesome update greenlion... this what I love to see: construction pictures!
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #1824
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
How many trains daily now travel Shanghai-Nanjing on the Shanghai-Nanjing high speed line with these 2 stops?
How many are nonstop trains, and how many make all (about 30) stops on the high speed railway?
According to SHRail's online ticketing system, there are currently 65 daily G trains each way on the Shanghai-Nanjing ICL, and 13 D trains each way on the upgraded original line. Out of the 65 G trains there are 12 nonstop trains. The other stops at different stations, normally no more than three stops each. The 13 D trains are all passing by trains, with final destination at Beijing, Shengyang, Qingdao, Zhengzhou, and Wuhan.
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:25 AM   #1825
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoojyh View Post
my point is simple, i never said HSR is absolute the target of terrorist, i said will be the target.

and you told me that i am insane that why HSR will not be the target with your reason.

then i explained to you with my reason, please see all my points above.
I didn't call you insane but the logic behind the argument. That was not very wisely chosen vocabulary. I'd should have said "flawed logic".

I still don't see, even after reading your answer, how terrorism should be of any particular concern. Not anymore than with pretty much every other construction project. And I think so due to arguments I mentioned already above.

@hmmwv
Wow, these security measurements sound quite excessive. Do you think it is really necessary?
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:09 PM   #1826
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Bullet train testing set to begin on Beijing link
21 February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The railway ministry said it was to boost capacity on the Shanghai-Nanjing and Shanghai-Hangzhou high-speed rail lines to make travel to the city's two neighboring provinces easier. There will be an increase in the number of train services from beginning of next month and the extra trains will stop at Changzhou and Wuxi in Jiangsu Province, as well as Haining and Hangzhou in Zhejiang Province.
It is the beginning of March now.
Are the extra trains to Changzhou and Wuxi running?
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:16 PM   #1827
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoojyh View Post
Actually, i have a concern on terrorist atack, how they are going to maintain the security of high speed train? i believe the terrorist will target high speed train.

we dont wish to see same thing happened in London and Mumbai happen in China.

Well I guess I can answer your question without being screamed at by others LOL.

China does not have the same issue as western countries regarding to terrorist. There are no known terrorist groups outside of China that wants to target China unlike US, UK, or France. The 4 terrorist groups inside China are all linked to the East Turkestan Independence movement located in Xinjiang province to the far west and are relatively weak. All attacks have been in that area and are extremely rare in Chinese coastal regions if ever. Procuring weapons or bombs in China is nearly impossible and the Chinese security forces are quite effective in preventing terrorist attacks. The terrorist in China won't dare to do anything huge as they know the Chinese government take extreme measures in retalliation and they could say good bye to their Independence movement or even reducing their autonomy. Look around the world communist countries in general don't have terrorist issues its the only effective antidote against Islamic terror.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:37 PM   #1828
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
Well I guess I can answer your question without being screamed at by others LOL.
Look around the world communist countries in general don't have terrorist issues its the only effective antidote against Islamic terror.
Hate to say this but look around the world there are not many Communist countries PERIOD.
Communism is a minority in terms of governmental leadership.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM   #1829
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

Quote:

China does not have the same issue as western countries regarding to terrorist. There are no known terrorist groups outside of China that wants to target China unlike US, UK, or France. The 4 terrorist groups inside China are all linked to the East Turkestan Independence movement located in Xinjiang province to the far west and are relatively weak. All attacks have been in that area and are extremely rare in Chinese coastal regions if ever. Procuring weapons or bombs in China is nearly impossible and the Chinese security forces are quite effective in preventing terrorist attacks. The terrorist in China won't dare to do anything huge as they know the Chinese government take extreme measures in retalliation and they could say good bye to their Independence movement or even reducing their autonomy. Look around the world communist countries in general don't have terrorist issues its the only effective antidote against Islamic terror.
But there are bomb attacks within these areas and every now and then it spreads to an odd bombing in Beijing. While the threat is not as grave as the Chechens in Russia or India vs. Pakistan, China's threat is nevertheless very real, and can easily blow up at any time.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1830
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
@hmmwv
Wow, these security measurements sound quite excessive. Do you think it is really necessary?
The measures were in place mainly to ensure the tracks are free of foreign objects or damages, farmers love to cross train tracks to save a little bit of time. The newly built HSR lines are relatively easy to guard because most of route is on viaduct, for example, Beijing-Shanghai HSR is 86% elevated.
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:57 PM   #1831
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Look around the world communist countries in general don't have terrorist issues its the only effective antidote against Islamic terror.
lol... thinking China is communist. It's only Communist in the "government wants to control everything" part. There's hardly any real ideological communism in China, and economically China is almost more capitalist than the US

But i do agree that China's tight control seems rather effective against terrorists.
It might also be that terrorists have "bigger fish to fry": their attention is focussed at the eeeevil West... maybe once the West is subdued, they will focus more on China

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/265363.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...china-xinjiang

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2008/0...d-indignation/

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2011-0...t_21935310.htm

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...406041/1/.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4495365.ece

Etcetera, etcetera.

Now back to trains. No place for political discussions here, unless it is somewhat directly linked to rail.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:57 PM   #1832
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

Dear my all friend

I am just voice up my concern, terrorist will be weaker or sometime stronger enough to bring down a pair of building.

my point is simple, HSR passenger rate is keeping higher or even more in another few years till its become part of life in China cities. Terrorist will not absolutely target HSR, my initiate point is that it might be one of the target in future if seperarist is capable.

London, Madrid, Mumbai are the example, they attack train station is not everyday or everytime or every year but its happened and killed many of innocent people which use it to reach their workplace or destination. They are just trying to spread the fear among public.

Any public facilities will be targeted, how China security force to protect HSR, i have no idea, how they stop terrorist attak, i have no idea but once its attack by terrorist, new policy or new technology will be appear like one of our forumer mentioned earlier. Do we need to wait till 300 people sacrifice? introduce new technolody then?

Maybe somebody from China can explain how they is the HSR security in China, i am kinda interested to know.

If we talk about terrorist attack to make lost on economic, i am sure they will target nuclear plant if the terrorist is capable to do so, but if they not capable so airline, subway, bus and famous public area will be target, why? reason is simple, because its part of our life and we can see it almost everyday or every hour.

Absolutely, the fact is China facing terrorist attack is lower if compare to Russia, USA, UK, Spain and the rest of USA allies.

For HSR, i believe we clearly know the future of it and how its effect the country or city development like the positive development bring by airport and subway, so there is no reason why terrorist will not target HSR.
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:00 PM   #1833
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
lol... thinking China is communist. It's only Communist in the "government wants to control everything" part. There's hardly any real ideological communism in China, and economically China is almost more capitalist than the US

But i do agree that China's tight control seems rather effective against terrorists.
It might also be that terrorists have "bigger fish to fry": their attention is focussed at the eeeevil West... maybe once the West is subdued, they will focus more on China

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/265363.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...china-xinjiang

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2008/0...d-indignation/

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2011-0...t_21935310.htm

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...406041/1/.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4495365.ece

Etcetera, etcetera.

Now back to trains. No place for political discussions here, unless it is somewhat directly linked to rail.
If there is an economic benefit, they will target China with the support from a sinking government.
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:48 PM   #1834
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
The line will be fully tested from March 20 when bullet trains traveling at more than 400 kilometers per hour will make the trip to iron out any problems and make adjustments before the new line opens to the public on June 20.
This is new. Is this a journalistic mistake, because I thought the Beijing-Shanghai line would top out at 380 km/hour.
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:15 PM   #1835
chornedsnorkack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
This is new. Is this a journalistic mistake, because I thought the Beijing-Shanghai line would top out at 380 km/hour.
Speeding over 380 km/h would be forbidden in regular service, but in testing the trains have to demonstrate operation over 380 km/h, both to verify that they have a margin of safety at the maximum scheduled speed of 380 km/h and that they have acceleration performance at that speed. When Beijing-Tianjin line had maximum speed of 350 km/h, the record during testing was 394 km/h.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:25 AM   #1836
yaohua2000

Likes (Received): 7

yaohua2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:42 AM   #1837
ANR

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
It is designed for 350 km/h, set to open in 2011. and the current view near Shijiahzuang Station is like these:

the picture is taken fron new line of Jingguang Railway, the lowest bridge is old Jingguang Railway, the bridge on the left is connection line from New Shijiazhuang Stasion to Shitai PDL, the bridge on the right side is Shiwu PDL
Perhaps I missed the information; the station construction pictures are for which new station. Thanks.
ANR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:41 AM   #1838
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
One of the most interesting videos I've seen.

Last edited by foxmulder; March 2nd, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM   #1839
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua2000 View Post
Why i dont feel its really fast??? its just like usual train.... its because of view from train interior?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM   #1840
81jun

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_dude View Post
Cool! modern structure for mongolia!
What???Are you out of your mind?Seriously?
81jun no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail