daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #1901
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
No it doesn't... it's got the same ugly tacky red letters on it. Same with Hongqiao Railway Station. IMO it has by far the most sophisticated design in China if not the world for a rail station but even a beauty such as it has the ugly red characters on it.

w/e now it looks tacky but once China becomes a developed country, it would look classy and other countries would try to imitate it.
Not really, I admit that the Chinese 上海站 is a bit too big, but not red and not tacky. It was written by the first Chairman of the Chinese Calligraphers Association Mr. Shu Tong. The English name is very elegant compare to most other stations in China.

hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #1902
uwhuskies

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luli Pop View Post
red colour for occidentals means danger, poison, beware!

if Iīm not wrong (I studied it in mkt 6 years ago) red colour means modernity, innovation, new for chinese.

so the perception of those caracters is completly different over there...

is that correct?

personally, I prefer chinese caraters bigger and more visible than english caracters. since itīs in China the hierarchy of local language over foreign must be clearly visible (in most countries station names are only in local language).

I like the original design, I'd just paint red the pillars and instead of "Chengdu East Railway Station" in red, i'd put it in white and just "Chengdu East" or "Chengdu East Station".

could the ilustrator help me please?
I prefer a modern block script style that you often will see for Japanese buildings that have Japanese writing. The brush stroke style scripting looks tacky. Its appears as though somebody just crawled up to the building and wrote the letters by hand. I have seen Chinese written so that I had a professional polish. Why can't the designers that design these stations spent a nominal amount to complete the polished look?

Here is a picture I seen from another poster on this site that illustrates my point from a Japanese train station (I know that Japanese and Chinese are not the same but seriously calligraphy on a building that costs hundreds of millions of dollars...

Last edited by uwhuskies; March 25th, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
uwhuskies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #1903
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Wuhan Station (new)
Source : by 博说之 from a Chinese photography forum :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #1904
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Interior was quite impressive...!
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #1905
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By 手工烟斗 from a Chinese photography forum :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #1906
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

It seems some people will complain about anything. I've never had a problem with the Chinese characters on Chinese railway stations. It gives them, well, character, if you'll pardon the pun.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #1907
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
It seems some people will complain about anything. I've never had a problem with the Chinese characters on Chinese railway stations. It gives them, well, character, if you'll pardon the pun.
That's a pun that can never be pardoned!
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #1908
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
If there are no complaint's there will be no improvements! Such simple logic yet so many don't understand. China is improving on so many fronts, yet signage/graphic seems to be a huge weakness. Its always either gold or red, where is the creativity? There are millions of colors to choose from and they have to use those 90% of the time. Cmon! Chinese use to have good design sense in the past even during the ancient times, but after the communist took power those seem to have lost.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #1909
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates View Post
If there are no complaint's there will be no improvements! Such simple logic yet so many don't understand. China is improving on so many fronts, yet signage/graphic seems to be a huge weakness. Its always either gold or red, where is the creativity? There are millions of colors to choose from and they have to use those 90% of the time. Cmon! Chinese use to have good design sense in the past even during the ancient times, but after the communist took power those seem to have lost.
You are talking about "taste" which is very subjective. Moreover, color red is a traditional color. It has little to do with communism most of the time. Also, If "modern" characters or different colors have been used some people would had complained about "lost of traditions"...

By the way, Wuhan Station looks great.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #1910
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
Moreover, color red is a traditional color. It has little to do with communism most of the time. Also, If "modern" characters or different colors have been used some people would had complained about "lost of traditions"...
If it's all about tradition, people would be walking, and not be riding HSR
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #1911
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

red has traditionally been a good colour in China. If you make the Chinese pick any random colour, most times they'll pick red (second choice will probably be gold/yellow) I don't see what's wrong with it.

Plus, transportation terminals with large red letters on the roof seems to be a Chinese thing. Communist or not, I don't see anything wrong with a good tradition.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #1912
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Red is the imperial colour. Back in those days, commoners could not even use red on their houses. That's why the hutongs were grey, while the Forbidden City was red.

Old March 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #1913
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

In my opinion the signage makes absolutely no difference to anything. As long as it says the right thing in the right place? Show me the trains!
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1914
clyde the puffy cat

Likes (Received): 0

Right on! it's all chinese to me anyway
clyde the puffy cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #1915
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

The railway ministry just needs to get more up-to-date, such as hire an actual marketing department instead of have one guy design all the script fonts!

It's OK. Signage is easy to change.
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #1916
Silly_Walks

If it was outsiders who told China to get HSR, the Chinese on SSC would say "You don't understand us, our slow trains are tradition! They are beautiful!".
Now it is ugly fonts, and the Chinese on SSC say: "You don't understand us, our ugly fonts are tradition! They are beautiful!".

It's not bad to accept tips and advise from abroad. You don't always have to go through the arduous process of pretending you came up with it on your own.
I bet if next year, the Chinese Rail Ministry comes up with a plan to use a brand new, good looking font and color, it will be hailed as a victory for China here on SSC.
Don't get so defensive about outside opinions.

Gunpowder, compass, printing press etc. were powerful ideas. Thanks ancient China!
See... not that hard.
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #1917
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6896

No one's getting defensive, just some people think the fonts aren't bad. Who knew, different people have different opinions!
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #1918
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

I like the old font they used to put on airports and railway stations, rather than this computerized font. however, isn't the font issue getting too much attention?
--

The new minister said that Beijing-Shanghai HSR would have different pricing mechanism for direct trains(probably with higher fare) compared to trains with intermediate stops, this is something new on HSRs, any thoughts?

Plus reports are saying some senior train dispatchers are currently being trained to cope with 380 km/h on Beijing-Shanghai HSR, is it sorta confirmation that MOR is still gonna go with top speed of 380 km/h?
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #1919
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
If it was outsiders who told China to get HSR, the Chinese on SSC would say "You don't understand us, our slow trains are tradition! They are beautiful!".
Now it is ugly fonts, and the Chinese on SSC say: "You don't understand us, our ugly fonts are tradition! They are beautiful!".

It's not bad to accept tips and advise from abroad. You don't always have to go through the arduous process of pretending you came up with it on your own.
I bet if next year, the Chinese Rail Ministry comes up with a plan to use a brand new, good looking font and color, it will be hailed as a victory for China here on SSC.
Don't get so defensive about outside opinions.

Gunpowder, compass, printing press etc. were powerful ideas. Thanks ancient China!
See... not that hard.
You did not understand a single word I wrote dude...
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1920
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
By 手工烟斗 from a Chinese photography forum :

This is the CRH6 Great Wall, it's a 160km/h diesel NDJ3 pulled train. Just a New Dawn with an updated shell. I don't think it's considered HSR.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
china, high speed rail