daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #21
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
What are you talking about? Light Rail tends to be cheaper than Heavy Rail since Heavy Rail has to be entirely grade separated. One of the reasons why the city could afford to build it was because it was using the streets instead of it's own ROW.

And anyways building a subway here is a bad idea given the combinations of clay soil, high ground water level, and the fact that a large percentage of the city sits on a floodplain.
The underground tunnels are reserved for the oil :-D

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #22
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
What are you talking about? Light Rail tends to be cheaper than Heavy Rail since Heavy Rail has to be entirely grade separated. One of the reasons why the city could afford to build it was because it was using the streets instead of it's own ROW.

And anyways building a subway here is a bad idea given the combinations of clay soil, high ground water level, and the fact that a large percentage of the city sits on a floodplain.
The Burnett station will kinda Underground though. And if I remember correctly, A large segment of the University Line will be elevated.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #23
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
The Burnett station will kinda Underground though. And if I remember correctly, A large segment of the University Line will be elevated.
True, there will be elevated segments on the University line but that is mainly for crossing US 59 and the Southern Pacific Railroad line. Also the Burnett station will utilize an existing underpass.

http://www.metrosolutions.org/clients/1068/329863.pdf

Everything else though will be at-grade though due to cost concerns.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #24
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

The question is, is it better to spend the money on longer routes with "lighter" technology or spend more money covering less area but with heavier capacity?

I was in Houston this weekend and the vehicles and the technology are definitely trams with their own traffic lanes. Compare that with the heavier vehicles and true seperate right of ways in Dallas, and really they are two different animals despite both being called light rail.

There is saving money and there is cutting corners. Hopefully metro knows the difference.

The water table issue, btw, is bunk. Look at other cities and you'll see what I mean.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #25
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
There is saving money and there is cutting corners. Hopefully metro knows the difference.

The water table issue, btw, is bunk. Look at other cities and you'll see what I mean.
Never said it couldn't be done but tunneling would have cost significantly more when taking all that into account. When several well known Texas politicians back in the early 2000's blocked federal funding to Metro they were left with no choice but to use the cheapest alternatives as possible.

Last edited by diablo234; November 30th, 2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #27
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

at grade has many advantages for passengers. it's easily accessible (no lifts, etc necessary), the ways are usually shorter, plus the subjective safety feeling is often higher as compared to underground stations.

Actually it was also proven that at grade tram and lightrail lines significantly reduce crime rates along its corridor.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #28
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Photos of the Red Line extension showing the start of construction.

Quote:

Photos taken by Ricco67 on HAIF.
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #29
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

So the video is obviously a year or two old? Im reading on the Wikipedia page that construction on the new lines was pushed back to 2014? What is the status of these projects at this point?
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:01 AM   #30
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
So the video is obviously a year or two old? Im reading on the Wikipedia page that construction on the new lines was pushed back to 2014? What is the status of these projects at this point?
Well Metro was involved in a scandal earlier because the first two of the new LRV's they bought from CAF violated the "Buy America" requirements so right now it is tangled in a web of red tape.

http://www.progressiverailroading.co...e.asp?id=24355

As for the University Line that line is being held up by NIMBY's and business owners along Richmond.
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:58 AM   #31
FDW

Quote:
snip
I hate "Buy America", it's so ******* moronic and just ends up driving up the costs for new Transit lines by limiting what companies can be involved with projects.
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:30 AM   #32
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
I hate "Buy America", it's so ******* moronic and just ends up driving up the costs for new Transit lines by limiting what companies can be involved with projects.
Limiting how? Every Foreign company has 2-4 plants in the US....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:56 PM   #33
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
I agree and here is the funny part. The rest of the trainsets were to be built in the U.S. at their Elmira, NY plant and they were about to hire new workers this fall, but now those plans are on hold so not only does METRO not only get their new LRV's but more people are without a job.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:14 AM   #34
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Limiting how? Every Foreign company has 2-4 plants in the US....
But at the same time, Buy America tilts the field heavily (and somewhat unfairly) towards the incumbents in the American transit market, such as Siemens. Buy America also drives up the cost of LRV's by forcing them to assembled (at higher cost) in the United States rather than abroad where it could be done more cheaply.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:33 PM   #35
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Some bloopers of morons driving their cars into the LRV's.

Last edited by diablo234; December 3rd, 2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: video embeding failed
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM   #36
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Isn't Alstom trying to get back into the game when it comes to the new rolling stock for Houton's light rail?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM   #37
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Isn't Alstom trying to get back into the game when it comes to the new rolling stock for Houton's light rail?
Houston is trying to buy cars from CAF. Siemens, (Who built Houston's first LRV's) also wants to build those new LRV's, and so it complained to the Fed's about the eligibility of CAF under "Buy America" leading to the current brouhaha. I don't know anything about Alstom's bid though.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM   #38
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The light rail vehicles currently used in Houston are the Siemens S70 model.

greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #39
Patryk

Likes (Received): 55

I like so much Houston MetroRail, looks like a tram, but all the system is very modern including platforms of each stations especially in downtown
Patryk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #40
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Visual tour of the new East End and North Lines.

Tags
houston, light rail rapid transit, texas