daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:17 AM   #61
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
I wonder if the newer lines will have their own ROW, or could they end up being tramway-like as with the current line?
From the looks of what I've seen, I think the latter. But I'm not completely sure on this though.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:31 PM   #62
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Yeah, I can Houston in the top 5 in terms in ridership, but number #1? 30/10 and ST2 have something to say about that.
It will be in one of the top ten light rail systems once the University line is built since that line is expected to have twice the ridership of the current Main Street line since it will serve the University of Houston and the Galleria area which is a major employment center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
From the looks of what I've seen, I think the latter. But I'm not completely sure on this though.
You would be correct.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:52 AM   #63
FDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
It will be in one of the top ten light rail systems once the University line is built since that line is expected to have twice the ridership of the current Main Street line since it will serve the University of Houston and the Galleria area which is a major employment center.
Which is why I said top five, given the sheer ridership density the current system (and hopefully it's future sections) have.
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #64
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

The Obama administration is giving Metro $200 million for it's light rail expansion.

Quote:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7427505.html

Light rail
Houston Metro's expansion is getting a $200 million boost in Obama's budget request to Congress. The money for the North Corridor and the Southeast Corridor projects is $50 million more than the $150 million set aside by Obama in his last two budget proposals.

The Metro project is part of a wider bid by the administration to upgrade transportation infrastructure nationwide so that 80 percent of Americans have "convenient access" to a high-speed passenger rail system within 25 years.
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #65
tmac14wr

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
For now yes.

I also wanted to mention that this ridership figure could essentialy double once the new lines/extensions that are currently being built/planned are built which will connect several residential neighborhoods, University of Houston, and the Galleria area which is another major employment district. Once all of these lines are built I can say for sure that Houston's light rail network will become one of if not the most patronized light rail system in the US (as long as there isn't any further roadblocks/red tape in the way).
It's got a long way to go before that happens...according to the latest APTA Report, Houston gets about 31,100 average ridership per weekday.

Philadelphia 95,000
Portland 112,400
Los Angeles 142,100
San Francisco 186,200
Boston 237,300

I think Boston's ridership is a bit higher than this. I ride the B-Line every day and the trains often become so packed that people will just go in the rear doors and be unaccounted for. There are also people with Tickets for monthly passes which they just hold up for the conductor. This also probably goes unaccounted for. I wouldn't be surprised if Boston's Green Line was pushing 260k per day...maybe even higher.

On topic: The Houston rail is very pretty. Their rail cars look extremely futuristic and attractive.

Last edited by tmac14wr; February 15th, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
tmac14wr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #66
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac14wr View Post
It's got a long way to go before that happens...according to the latest APTA Report, Houston gets about 31,100 average ridership per weekday.

Philadelphia 95,000
Portland 112,400
Los Angeles 142,100
San Francisco 186,200
Boston 237,300

I think Boston's ridership is a bit higher than this. I ride the B-Line every day and the trains often become so packed that people will just go in the rear doors and be unaccounted for. There are also people with Tickets for monthly passes which they just hold up for the conductor. This also probably goes unaccounted for. I wouldn't be surprised if Boston's Green Line was pushing 260k per day...maybe even higher.

On topic: The Houston rail is very pretty. Their rail cars look extremely futuristic and attractive.
With a Few Restorations Philly could move up past LA....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #67
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1495

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234
The first leg of the light rail system was built in 2001. Do you seriously expect Houston to have 100mi of light rail lines today?

Building this infastructure takes time.
No more than 7,5 miles of light rails built in TEN years ? In a 3 000 000 inhabitants place ?

It's really pathetic !!!

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".
nanar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #68
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanar View Post
No more than 7,5 miles of light rails built in TEN years ? In a 3 000 000 inhabitants place ?

It's really pathetic !!!
I case you don't know how to read I did mention earlier that they are currently expanding the system at the moment with the East End Line and the North End line being under construction as we speak which when opened will add another 8.2 miles to the system.

This is not even mentioning the other light rail lines that are being planned and evaluated.
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #69
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1495

Hi,

I'am living in a city of 1,3 million inhabitants,
but here, the Transit Authority builds and puts in commercial service 3 miles of light rail per year since 2001 (and it continue)

A+

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".
nanar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #70
FDW

Quote:
Hi,

but here, the Transit Authority builds and puts in commercial service 3 miles of light rail per year since 2001 (and it continue)

A+
Problem is our environmental review system is ****ed up, and the pols of this region have repeatedly dropped the ball in ratcheting up the rate of construction.
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #71
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Hi,

It's really pathetic !!!
That's a modern-day American transit project for you!

Projects like this take forever here in the U.S. because of our often pointless environmental reviews, high labor costs (which have little to do with unionization...European construction and transit workers are unionized and aren't nearly as expensive), lawsuits (America is an extremely litigious country...people sue over everything here), and feelings usually ranging from indifference to hostility toward public transportation.

That, and as there aren't a whole lot of construction companies that deal with rail here anymore, there's not a lot of competition in the bids, which drives up prices (I've read that a typical American rail project costs 2x to 5x what an equivalent project would cost in Europe). It has also been suggested that there's just not a lot of expertise in engineering rail projects in the U.S. anymore (economics of scale at work). Fewer rail engineers means less competitive bids, and higher prices.

Because costs are so high, it's hard to get more than a certain amount of funding approved every year, and projects like this proceed at a pace that would seem sloooooooooow by Euro or Asian standards. That, and we have a major political party, that with a few exceptions, hates mass transit and does everything it can to kill it or weaken it.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #72
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5731

Quote:
I case you don't know how to read I did mention earlier that they are currently expanding the system at the moment with the East End Line and the North End line being under construction as we speak which when opened will add another 8.2 miles to the system.

This is not even mentioning the other light rail lines that are being planned and evaluated.
Haha. You've got to be kidding me. They are not "currently expanding the system." Those projects are stalled. Constructing is not happening.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #73
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Haha. You've got to be kidding me. They are not "currently expanding the system." Those projects are stalled. Constructing is not happening.
Really? From this article from January it sounds like they have started:
http://www.ridemetro.org/News/Releas.../01042011.aspx

And this PDF from METRO shows pics of construction on the North line:http://www.metrosolutions.org/clients/1068/377151.pdf

Steve
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #74
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Yes they are, I can see the construction that is taking place along the East End line and North line.
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #76
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5731

can you post pics of what's going on on the ground?

last I had heard it had stalled out in the fall during the utility-relocation phase, but I'm not from Texas so I don't really know what's going on
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #77
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
can you post pics of what's going on on the ground?

last I had heard it had stalled out in the fall during the utility-relocation phase, but I'm not from Texas so I don't really know what's going on
They are still doing the utility relocation/roadwork phase, you were correct that there was some controversy regarding the light rail vehicles (which almost caused Houston to have federal funding removed due to Buy America) but that got resolved. So far any mention of having funding removed from MetroSolutions has been just talk and most of those roadways were scheduled to be rebuilt anyways.

I will try to post some pictures this weekend schedule permitting.
Old April 18th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #79
CWB_IAH

Likes (Received): 2

Any news on the University Line? This delay is really driving me nuts, without the university line the system will not work.

Did you notice the red car going around?

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
CWB_IAH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #80
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1171

Haha, should have said "please stop hitting our trains... dipshits..."

Tags
houston, light rail rapid transit, texas