daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #81
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWB_IAH View Post
Any news on the University Line? This delay is really driving me nuts, without the university line the system will not work.
It's still in the design phase.

There are still plans for it to be built but that line is just covered in bureaucratic red tape and the opposition from business owners and residents along Richmond sure aren't helping either.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #82
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Some recent construction photos of the grade separation on the North Line just north of University of Houston-Downtown.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #83
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Video of recent construction progress on the North Line.

Old July 24th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #84
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Old July 27th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #85
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

From Swamplot.

Quote:
Harrisburg Blvd. and the East End light-rail line Metro is building along it will dip under the Union Pacific East Belt freight rail line between the future Altic and Cesar Chavez stations, Mayor Parker announced today. The city has committed $20.6 million of “existing money” to the build the underpass — in part by delaying other area improvement projects. The alternative, an 8-block-long freeway-style overpass, was opposed by many area residents and businesses.

We have found the funding for an underpass and City of Houston has committed $20.6 million to put part of the East End Metro line underground. [Twitter]
East End residents fight plan for Metro rail overpass [Houston Chronicle]

Drawing: City of Houston
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #86
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Metro lays track for southeast line as questions remain
By CAROL CHRISTIAN
Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 10, 2011, 8:22PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...o/7691522.html

The Metropolitan Transit Authority laid track for its southeast light rail line Wednesday, but questions remain about where the agency will get the money to finish this line, two others under construction and two more in the planning stages.

Wednesday's concrete pour — near Paige and Rusk streets east of downtown - marked the first time in 10 years Metro has laid any new track for its light-rail system.

The new 80-foot section of steel rail will be part of the 6.6-mile Southeast Line. Scheduled for completion in 2014, the line will extend from Smith Street downtown to the Palm Center in southeast Houston.

Metro officials said they are expecting approval soon of a $900 million federal grant delayed last year by the agency's violation of a federal Buy American requirement in procuring light-rail cars from a Spanish company. The agency's confidence is sufficient to include money from the grant in next year's budget, and to prepare to sell rail-construction bonds for the first time in more than two years.

Metro President and CEO George Greanias said Wednesday he couldn't provide details about the timing of the federal grant, known as a Full Funding Grant Agreement under the New Starts program.

In June, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray La Hood announced that Metro's Southeast and North light-rail lines had been allocated $75 million each in the 2011 federal budget under New Starts. A third line under construction, the East End line, is locally funded; two other planned light-rail lines are in earlier stages of development.

At Metro's July 28 board meeting, just before Greanias began a one-week suspension for visiting sexually explicit websites on his personal computer through the Metro Internet system, he and other agency officials spoke with guarded optimism about the grant.

"They are now in the process of being reviewed by the executive team at the Federal Transit Administration," he told the board. "That is the last step before they go out the door. I'm not about to predict what day of the week they'll go out, but I think it's going to be in the near future."

Also at the July 28 meeting, the board approved a bond sale of up to about $463 million for rail construction. Greanias said those bonds likely will be sold in September.

It will be only the third bond sale under the 2003 referendum that approved sales of up to $640 million for light rail. Two previous sales, in June 2009, used up about $177 million of the allotment.

FTA says grant in review

Greanias said the timing of the bond sale reflects Metro's improved relationship with federal transit officials.

"There's a sense and feeling that we've done what we need to do with the FTA, and we're on sound financial ground for moving forward with the bond sale," the Metro chief executive said.

But local attorney and light-rail critic Bill King said it's foolish to bank on that money, given the tenuous status of the federal budget, especially New Starts funding.

"With what's going on in Washington, can you see that they're going to come down here and say, 'Here's $1 billion to go build light rail in Houston?' " King said. "That seems so fanciful to me, and I certainly wouldn't bet on it."

A spokesman for the FTA said Wednesday that the Full Funding Grant Agreement is under review.

[email protected]
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #87
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Video of recent construction progress on the North Line.

I compared this video, wich aparently is of early July, to the images on Google Earth, that says are from 3/10/2011 and you can see some progress. The colums between the underpass of the Higway and the tunnel of the railroad, for example, haven't been build yet in Google Earth.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #88
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Quote:
Some bloopers of morons driving their cars into the LRV's.

There was something wrong with those guys - ladys.
And the last one? . He was still for a while, and just when the train passes he turns left, it almost seems like he was waiting for the train to hit him...
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #89
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Most of those crashes are the result of idiot motorists illegally turning left- ignoring the clear pavement markings.
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:59 AM   #90
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Progress being made on the North Line at North Main and Brooks St. Photos courtesy of Metro.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:58 PM   #91
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Never would I have imagined Houston possessing so little road traffic
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #92
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Never would I have imagined Houston possessing so little road traffic
Never would I have imagined people who actually have the audacity to say it's the trains that are dangerous, when you see these videos all the time that prove it's the drivers in the CARS that are the only ones actually dangerous.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #93
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of the Union View Post
Never would I have imagined people who actually have the audacity to say it's the trains that are dangerous, when you see these videos all the time that prove it's the drivers in the CARS that are the only ones actually dangerous.
True.

I should mention that S. Main Street had a higher accident rate even before the light rail was built. People just don't know how to drive.
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #94
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2849

That video of the North Line under construction is going to serve who? The area doesn't look very dense at all. I see a lot of wharehouses, gas stations barely any residential or commercial/office buildings. Why was this route chosen?
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #95
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
That video of the North Line under construction is going to serve who? The area doesn't look very dense at all. I see a lot of wharehouses, gas stations barely any residential or commercial/office buildings. Why was this route chosen?
There is a huge lower income residential neighborhood along the line, many of whom are dependent on public transit which will be served by this line not to mention the Northline Campus of Houston Community College. Also unlike the University Line it is one of the few lines that has not been held up by NIMBY's.
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #96
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2849

^ Ok thanks for the explanation! I'm not familiar with Houston so that's why I asked. Some parts of the video have a strong resemblenance to Orlando.
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #97
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Houston is very suburban despite recent improvements in urbanity. I found it stupid that one of Houston's mayors didn't want to built a metro for the city.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #98
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Houston is very suburban despite recent improvements in urbanity. I found it stupid that one of Houston's mayors didn't want to built a metro for the city.
Well it's not like Houston was the first Sunbelt city to make that mistake but I agree. Anyways the past three mayors we have had are supportive of expanding the light rail system so not all is lost.
Old September 8th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #99
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

What other Sunbelt cities?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #100
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

I dont think Metro system in Texas will ever happen due to many factors, NOT because the mayors and governors dont want to fund it.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
houston, light rail rapid transit, texas