daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #161
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
image hosted on flickr
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #162
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1675

Yeah, because trams running close to buildings is so surprising...

Or are you expressing shock that the houses are behind a wall rather than opening up and forming a real neighborhood facing the street with transit service as it was back in the old days.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #163
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
=>
  • level crossing
  • at a bend
  • without any concrete barrier (modular fencing there ain't convincing me in the slightest)
  • alongside today's flimsiest-looking housing stock
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #164
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
=>
  • level crossing
  • at a bend
  • without any concrete barrier (modular fencing there ain't convincing me in the slightest)
You know Houston doesn't have the money for fancy grade separations. Look at how the current red line was built. What is so surprising?

I already figured the rest of the system will end up a fully at-grade street running LRT....
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #165
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of the Union View Post
What is so surprising?
Its very sanctioned lack of protection in this millenium
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #166
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
=>
  • level crossing
  • at a bend
You do realize the line is still under construction correct?

Although I do agree with you on the housing stock, but thankfully there is more development on the way that will blend into the area more as far as walkability is concerned.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #167
trainrover

I realised as opposed to realized ... Walkability? crashability's more the case; you see, I'd have probably not expressed any shock were there those flared, highway concrete barriers protecting the housing each direction from that corner beside the crossing
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #168
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
I realised as opposed to realized ... Walkability? crashability's more the case; you see, I'd have probably not expressed any shock were there those flared, highway concrete barriers protecting the housing each direction from that corner beside the crossing
Let me get this straight?

Unless I misunderstood your post, you are criticizing this line because it's at street level?

Or are you just criticizing the fence separating the townhouse development from the light rail line?

If it is the latter than I would agree, but if it's the former than you need to keep in mind that plenty of LRT's run at street level in mixed traffic with the Boston Green Line, San Francisco's MUNI Rail, Toronto's Streetcars, and several European tram networks being among a few examples and this line will be no different.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #169
trainrover

Straight? by the looks of it, that segment of ROW's right crooked even prior to its outset, since inception By many of the images, overall, of this rapid-transit project thus far, all I can tell is that little out-in-the-field expertise has been drawn on, for its very conception appears more developed in some stale boardroom than anywhere in Houston's outdoor dustiness
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #170
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Not trying to get into the middle of the argument - however that really looks to be a modular concrete barrier, not plastic/wood, etc. so not really flimsy.

Steve
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #171
trainrover

There appear too many components to its modular interlocking; it looks too top-heavy too, such that it'd smash to smithereens were a tram to jump its rails from bolting right into some heavy road vehicle (or whatever) ... I'd have probably said nought here were the project to have instead made use of barriers like those tall ones found down the centre of, say, the I-476 branch of the Penn Tpk ... but what do I know, right
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #172
Rail_Serbia

Likes (Received): 668

http://www.railway-technology.com/ne...t-rail-project
US allocates funds for Houston light rail project
30 November 2011

Quote:
US Department of Transportation's Federal Transit Administration (FTA) has extended a $900m grant to Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County (METRO) to extend Houston's light rail system by an additional 12 miles.
The fund will be used to extend the North and Southeast lines, being carried out at cost of $1.6bn.
North line will be extended by 5.3 miles from its existing endpoint at the University of Houston Downtown to Crosstimbers Street, which will be stretch past the 610 North Loop, while the 6.6-mile Southeast line will stretch from Smith Street in downtown Houston to the Palm Center.
FTA said Houston METRO's light rail service to the north and the southeast is part of the city's plan to connect Houston's workforce with major downtown employment centers, including the Texas Medical Center and the University of Houston.
US Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said: "The project will improve access to jobs and the region's many attractions, while reducing area congestion, pollution and our dependence on oil."
The new line will add 18 new passenger stops along the way and will also take riders to Reliant Park, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park, a new major league soccer stadium now under construction, the Museum District and the George R. Brown Convention Center / Discovery Green Park.
Each of the new lines will receive $450m which are currently under construction, along with a third locally funded East End line.
The new light rail lines are scheduled to open for service in 2015, will provide alternatives to congested Interstate 45 and US Route 59.
After completion both the lines are expected to carry more than 58,000 passengers a day including more than 13,000 new transit riders a day, by the year 2030.
The two grants have been provided through FTA's New Starts capital transit discretionary grant process
New lines in 2015 I hope that they will improve safety...
Rail_Serbia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #174
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5963

Are Americans a bit paranoid? Why is there a need for concrete barriers in first place? Because a train could possibly derail eventually once?

Well maybe if legislation in the US would not force trains to be built like tanks that would help but in any case this is way over the top. Accidents can happen but also a truck can get lost and crash into a house. You don't force all roads into concrete canyons either, do you?
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #175
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Straight? by the looks of it, that segment of ROW's right crooked even prior to its outset, since inception By many of the images, overall, of this rapid-transit project thus far, all I can tell is that little out-in-the-field expertise has been drawn on, for its very conception appears more developed in some stale boardroom than anywhere in Houston's outdoor dustiness
This is really nothing more than a streetcar system. It's not really a rapid transit system. It's not very...rapid.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #176
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Is the line serving the New Dynamo stadium under construction yet?
As already told, yep. Here's a couple pictures of construction right next to the stadium.

Quote:
After completion both the lines are expected to carry more than 58,000 passengers a day including more than 13,000 new transit riders a day, by the year 2030.
Something tells me that they will pass this ridership number per day much earlier than 2030.
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #177
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

I wonder if that picture is in this video that was just taken last week.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:37 AM   #178
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
This is really nothing more than a streetcar system. It's not really a rapid transit system. It's not very...rapid.
Just because it's at grade doesn't mean it's not a rapid transit system. I bet even this light rail system will have a higher average speed than a NYC subway local train.

It's also built to a higher standard than Boston's Green Line(It actually has many segments where it doesn't have it's own ROW and must share space with cars), yet that still considered a rapid transit system.

Last edited by State of the Union; February 2nd, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM   #179
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

I've been on several light rail lines with segments like this. You can call it "mass transit", but "rapid transit" would be a misnomer.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:25 PM   #180
trainrover

Tags
houston, light rail rapid transit, texas