daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2004, 12:37 AM   #1
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

Most Beautiful High School

Coming from the average suburban school, my jaw dropped when I saw Stadium HS in Tacoma (near Seattle). It was built on a high bluff overlooking the bay. Originally built in the early 1900s as an exclusive French chateau-inspired hotel, the company got bankrupt and the school district bought it. Today, it's a historical landmark in the city. And yes, this is the school where "10 things I hate about you" was filmed.

1800 students in grades 9 - 12. The school is currently going ahead with a $80 million dollar renovation. THe school has 4 floors, and 3 (i think) basement floors where the cafeteria is. The gym and pool is under the courtyard I think. You can find the floorplans at http://www.tacoma.k12.wa.us/schools/hs/stadium/

Feel free to add photos of your favorite school.

Here are some pics of SHS:

My favorite pic: the school overlooking the bay.

The Stadium Bowl:

Entrance:

Last edited by kub86; August 17th, 2004 at 12:54 AM.
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:08 AM   #2
johnbaker
jb3d.co.uk

Likes (Received): 0

Ah cool. You yanks have the best high schools!! So modern (I know that one wasnt). I wanna see the modern ones. Do you prefer the old english style then? The only modern educational buildings in the UK are colleges probably. The rest are all old brick buildings. Totally off thing to think when watching something like this but..I thought the columbine school looked really cool, tons of windows and loads of land and car parks! wicked.
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:22 AM   #3
Philip Cronin

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker
The only modern educational buildings in the UK are colleges probably. The rest are all old brick buildings.
What on Earth are you talking about? There are thousands of modern school buildings in the UK - most of them hideous.

There are also loads and loads of beautiful old schools though.
Philip Cronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:25 AM   #4
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Here's my former school...nothing special, probably your typical Canadian high school

Last edited by DrJoe; August 17th, 2004 at 01:44 AM.
DrJoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:35 AM   #5
kub86
Twinkie

modern school

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker
You yanks have the best high schools!! So modern (I know that one wasnt). I wanna see the modern ones.
Here's a brand new modern school for ya.

I visited the offices of the architects that designed it (www.blrb.com)

This is Skyline High School located in the affluent suburbs of Seattle. It cost 30 million to build in 1997 - which is kinda cheap compared to the newer 80 million dollar schools being built around here. Skyline is also rated as one of the best schools (academically) in Washington. pics are from blrb.com

Entrance:

Commons (cafeteria):

Auditorium:

Last edited by kub86; August 17th, 2004 at 02:14 AM.
Old August 17th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #6
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

Jelgava Agricultural Academy in Barocco style 18th century palace, Latvia. Could not be considered a real highschool building as it was not intended to be... but cool anyway. Quite rundown though but it will improve for sure...

Nearby - the building which in 18th century was meant to be highschool... but is museum today - Academia Petrina
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #7
Trisuno

Likes (Received): 168

My former High School (Cité Scolaire Internationale de Lyon)

http://www2.ac-lyon.fr/etab/lycees/l...icon/film1.gif

Last edited by Trisuno; August 20th, 2004 at 02:20 PM.
Trisuno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #8
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 62

Some modern schools look great. The modern ones in Britain are built to a strict budget and as a result have no flair whatsoever. They are bland, uninspring and faceless building that, in the most part, do absolutely nothing to inspire creativity and learning. We do have some beautiful old schools but today they are often a bit rundown or have been converted into flats or something. Architecture should really be used more in schools I feel, Well designed buildings could surely have a positive impact on students.
Prestonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #9
johnbaker
jb3d.co.uk

Likes (Received): 0

Totally agree with Prestonian, a school is a very important building, of which students grow up in, well 5 years or more if you go sixth form. But I nominated Norm Foster to design all the new ones in England!

Thats a pic of the college I went to. Havering Sixth Form.It was opened in 1991 and is the second biggest college in Essex, so i was told. I'd show you more but their website sucks and lacks in pictures, you would of thought a big college with so many ict students and teachers would of put together a cooler site.The cafeteria is quite big and busy, but because its so close to the town centre everyone would hang out there.
Now thats a school! I theres a lot of things missing from my college to that school, one of them is a flag. Colleges in England or schools never have flags because they say it affends "non english people" but how come america can do it! They dont get this in their country, its unfair, plus it looks really classy.
Go ahead and quote me, i know you will
Old August 19th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #10
elsonic

Likes (Received): 4

some in Montréal

Notre-Dame

Brébeuf

Villa-Maria

Sainte-Anne

de Montréal
elsonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:54 PM   #11
kub86
Twinkie

Trisuno- Your school looks ultra modern and REALLY big. Almost impersonal. It looks like a cross between a modern office complex and a mall. It almost looks like a university's school of business or science.

I really like that brebeuf school in Montreal. Even though it is kinda bland, the columns always get me. I guess I'm more into those traditional classical looking buildings (eg Stadium HS). I took a little bit of French and doesn't 'beuf' mean meat or steak? brebeuf= T-bone high school?

What is a 6th form? I think that's the equivelant of the 11th or 12th grade, right? I read an explanation but that just confused me even more. Like England's public schools are America's private schools? and vice versa. And then they talked about a GSCE or something. So GSCE is like a diploma? and it's after a 6th form?
Old August 20th, 2004, 12:05 AM   #12
Ellatur

would love to attend schools like those
Ellatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #13
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

My school's new building is underconstruction now.

Bauhaus-like style.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #14
Prestonian

Foster did design a school in Britain actually. It's the Bexley Business Academy and is one of those new fangled City-Accademy type things. It was opened in 2003 I=by the PM. It's quite a nice building but still not amazing. I'm afraid I can't realy find many decent pics, although there are some on the F&P website. I think it won an award from RIBA too so it must be good.

http://www.tba.jazgen.com/tba/
http://www.cabe.org.uk/library/cases...nalysis&PARAMS
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #15
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

University of Chicago GSB Asia Campus:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=102959

Last edited by redstone; August 21st, 2004 at 04:19 PM.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 03:45 PM   #16
Trisuno

Likes (Received): 168

that campus looks very traditional! i like it
Trisuno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:25 AM   #17
Philip Cronin

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86
What is a 6th form? I think that's the equivelant of the 11th or 12th grade, right? I read an explanation but that just confused me even more. Like England's public schools are America's private schools? and vice versa. And then they talked about a GSCE or something. So GSCE is like a diploma? and it's after a 6th form?
"Public schools" are fee-paying. The term applies mainly to boys schools for 13-18 year olds, especially boarding schools. The terms "independent schools", "fee-paying schools" and indeed "private schools" refer to all types of fee paying schools collectively. A "prep" school is for 7-13 year olds or 9-13 year olds. Non-fee paying schools are usually referred to as "state schools".

Sixth form is the last two years of school.

GCSEs are single subject exams taken at age the end of the eqivalent of Tenth Grade (until recently called the Fifth form, now called Year 11 (year 1 is the equivalent of the last year of kindergarden). Pupils take about ten of them. Further single subject exams called A levels are taken at the end of the sixth form (now also known as Years 12 and 13). There are no high school diplomas and no SATs.
Philip Cronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 08:50 PM   #18
kub86
Twinkie

Quote:
Colleges in England or schools never have flags because they say it affends "non english people" but how come america can do it
I think Americans can do it because we don't think it would offend anyone...I mean, if you live in America, you're an American, right? I mean, America was started by immigrants seeking religious freedom from England, right? I guess we're more open with immigration. Plus our flag symbolizes America in general---including the whole "pursuit of happiness".

That reminds me, my history teacher once told us that in the UK, you were expected to stay in the social class you were born in. Is this true? That made my class go mad! We're not greedy or selfish. We just grew up with everyone telling us that if we worked hard, we could be whatever we want to be. Didn't mean to go off topic...
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:11 PM   #19
Prestonian

Quote:
That reminds me, my history teacher once told us that in the UK, you were expected to stay in the social class you were born in. Is this true? That made my class go mad! We're not greedy or selfish. We just grew up with everyone telling us that if we worked hard, we could be whatever we want to be. Didn't mean to go off topic...
Nah, in fairness to your history teacher thats absolute rubbish. In the old days the classes were more rigid, it wasn't enforced it was just that the oppurtunities were lacking (education, etc). Today we are generally a meritocratic society and with better education for all nobody has to stay where they are if they work hard. We don't have that concept drummed into us though, its just accepted.

Will you set your teacher straight for me? I don't want generations of American pupils to think of us as some sort of archaic and oppressive society
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:49 PM   #20
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20021

Quote:
I think Americans can do it because we don't think it would offend anyone...I mean, if you live in America, you're an American, right? I mean, America was started by immigrants seeking religious freedom from England, right?
The Pilgrim Fathers didn't want religious freedom. They just wanted to be free to have a different religious dictatorship!

Quote:
I guess we're more open with immigration. Plus our flag symbolizes America in general---including the whole "pursuit of happiness".
Hmm, some Mexican illegals may disagree with this, have you listened to Woor20 and some of the other Americans on these forums?

I don't think that having a flag or singing the national anthem has much to do with education though. We should be educating young people to have open and inquiring minds not telling them that everything their country does and stands for is great and to think otherwise is wrong.

This would be more appropriate to the Soviet Union rather than a democracy.

Quote:
Absolute rubbish, was your teacher talking about the nineteenth century? If he/she was then fair enough but if he was talking about modern Britain then very wrong I'm afraid. It's always more difficult if you are born poor (in the US too) but that's about as far as it goes.

Back to the point though, modern schools in Britain do tend to be pretty bland with the odd exception.

I read that British Public (ie Private) schools were so called because originally (hundreds of years ago) schools were run by the church for the children of clergy while wealthy aristocrats were educated by tutors at home and the masses didn't go to school at all.

Somebody came up with the idea of starting a school for people that couldn't afford tutors but wanted an education. Anybody could go (if they could afford it) not just clergy so they were called Public schools. By the time the government got around to providing free schools for everyone the name 'Public schools' had stuck and so Government schools here were called 'State schools'

Last edited by Jonesy55; September 2nd, 2004 at 11:15 PM.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote