daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:50 PM   #21
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1548

Classes are no longer relevent. People can really go from the worst possible scenario to the best. For example, Wayne Rooney was brought up on a notorious Liverpool coucil estate, he is now Britain's richest football player.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:13 PM   #22
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 848

Yes...because footballers are noted for their academic performance and IQ
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #23
Imperial
The Wealth of Nations

Likes (Received): 5

This is "The higher school of Trade and Right im.Ryszarda Łazarskiego in Warsaw" this is my school

Last edited by Imperial; September 15th, 2004 at 08:15 PM.
Imperial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #24
MisterOwy
ScraperPeeper

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
Here's my former school...nothing special, probably your typical Canadian high school

If that's typical then it's better than the soul-less concrete dungeon I attended in suburban Sydney, Australia.
Old September 7th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #25
Philip Cronin

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestonian
Nah, in fairness to your history teacher thats absolute rubbish. In the old days the classes were more rigid, it wasn't enforced it was just that the oppurtunities were lacking (education, etc). Today we are generally a meritocratic society and with better education for all nobody has to stay where they are if they work hard. We don't have that concept drummed into us though, its just accepted.

Will you set your teacher straight for me? I don't want generations of American pupils to think of us as some sort of archaic and oppressive society
I believe that America actually has a marginally more rigid class system than Britain now. It has substantially higher income inequality, and more unequal funding of schools in different districts. There is a lot more open prejudice against disadvantaged people (providing they are white), ie "rednecks" and "trailer trash", and you have things like "alumni preference" for universities that would be regarded as scandalous over here.

America has a patrician president, who wouldn't stand a chance of becoming prime minister here, because it is so obvious that he has only had the chance to reach the top due to privilege and family connections. Britain hasn't had an upper class prime minister for forty years, and there is virtually no chance that it will have another.
Philip Cronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #26
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 62

I've been trying to find a pic of a pair of former Grammar schools in a place called Lytham. Queen Mary's and King Edwards. The pic below shows one of them at the top of the pic. It's actually the worst of the two because it has had all sorts of horrible extensions. This building is due for rennovation soon as the other building (the better one) is being sold off for converiosn into flats. They look really good next to each other but i can't find any better pics, plus this one has some more cool things in it

Now you know why I really wanted to post the pic. I'm not lying about that being the school though

more at:
http://www.airpower.at/news04/0901_warton/index.html

Last edited by Prestonian; September 15th, 2004 at 12:35 AM.
Prestonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #27
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

Wow Prestonian, those planes rock! The school next to the waterfront doesn't look bad----I was just amazed that the land next to the coast wasn't developed yet--that makes the school look like it's in the middle of nowhere. I'm assuming the coastal property is probably a park or nature preserve.
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #28
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 62

Yeah that particular stretch of the coastline isn't built up. Either side of this it does get a little more dense but even then the land on the near side of the road isn't very suitable because a lot of it is simply sand dunes covered in costal grasses so not strong enough for development.

I'm lovin those planes too
Prestonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #29
Trisuno

Likes (Received): 168

cool planes
Trisuno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #30
doogerz
Registered Groovemeister

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86
Coming from the average suburban school, my jaw dropped when I saw Stadium HS in Tacoma (near Seattle). It was built on a high bluff overlooking the bay. Originally built in the early 1900s as an exclusive French chateau-inspired hotel, the company got bankrupt and the school district bought it. Today, it's a historical landmark in the city. And yes, this is the school where "10 things I hate about you" was filmed.

1800 students in grades 9 - 12. The school is currently going ahead with a $80 million dollar renovation. THe school has 4 floors, and 3 (i think) basement floors where the cafeteria is. The gym and pool is under the courtyard I think. You can find the floorplans at http://www.tacoma.k12.wa.us/schools/hs/stadium/

Feel free to add photos of your favorite school.

Here are some pics of SHS:

My favorite pic: the school overlooking the bay.

The Stadium Bowl:

Entrance:

Wow ... and I thought I went to a decent looking school!
doogerz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 07:46 AM   #31
Hobodog

I will search for a good pic of my own high school...right now another local High School will have to suffice...

Spain Park High School - Hoover, AL - 134,600 sq. ft.

Hobodog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #32
Aaron17
I love Australia

WOW all these pictures of the schools look really nice. All your schools are big buildings, In most of Australia they not like this....

Our School though being in the city was on many acres of bushland, it was common to see koalas and blue tongue lizards and fill neck lizards everywhere. Our school was all seperate buildings for instance the science block was a 1 level block which was connected by open walkways to the Maths block etc....

Also our school and most in Australia dont have cafeterias, we bring lunch to school or go to the canteen, which is not like your cafeterias. Some of those pics looked just like a shopping mall, i thought jesus christ they look nice.

My former school (I graduated this year) was crappy compared to all these american school pictures. We also had to wear school uniform.
Aaron17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 07:36 PM   #33
Fly Pan Am
User

I would kill to go to any of the highschools posted. The one I go to is a bland, and well terrible highschool in rural Ontario built in the 50s. We don't even have an audtiorium.
Fly Pan Am no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 12:33 AM   #34
Hobodog

Most of our High Schools look like the above...except the inner city 20s era schools that tend to be more vertical. The 60s-70s era high schools are also more vertical becuase they have become landlocked...
Hobodog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #35
SkylineTurbo
|| PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ||

Likes (Received): 6

My school looks like a 1960 era bomb shelter.
SkylineTurbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #36
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1015

Melbourne High School:

Old January 27th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #37
Gunadica

Wow, those are some niiicceee highschools... Specially Stadium High... very classy... We'll here's my entry, Mercersburg Academy. Its a boarding school set in 'Scenic' (read: cow-filled middle of nowhere) south central Pennsylvania. We have about 450 students and are the cheif supplier of the town's jobs and the largest orderer of Chinese Food, Subs and Pizza from the various delivery places in town.

This is a picture of our main academic building. On the first and second floors are labs and other science class rooms. Third floor holds the Mathematics and Language departments (German, French, Latin, Spanish, Chinese, Greek, and starting next year Japanese). On the fourth floor holds the Arts classrooms. They will be transfered to the new Burgin Center for the Arts when it is completed in the summer of 2006. Construction is underway now. The triangular structure in front contains an art gallery on the first floor, the deans office, on the third, and communications office on the fourth.

This is the Lenfest Library. The majority of fund used to build this were donated by Gerry Lenfest, former owner of Suburban Cable, which ran through most of PA and MD, and was later bought out by Comcast for a not so paltry sum of a little over 1 billion USD. The building houses our History, Tech, and College Counseling departments.

That is a picture of Keil Hall. Built in the early 1900's, it served as the dining hall until Ford Hall was built in the late '60s. Currently the first floor is being used as a dance studio and a black box theatre for use by Stonny Batter the school's theatre group (of which I am a part). The top three floors are a boy's dormitory. Attatched to Keil Hall is...

Rutledge hall. Built originally as the kitchen for the dining hall, when Ford was built, it was converted into a library. Upon completion of Lenfest Hall in 1992, It was converted into the home of the English department. Renovations were completed in 1998.

This is the Academy Chapel. While we are a nondenominational school, we have not always been. The Chapel was built in 1926 and houses a 48 bell carillon in the tower. It is the tallest building in Mercersburg, and has beautiful Tiffany stained glass windows. The inside is truly awe inspiring. I'll post interior pictures in the future.

This is a quite flattering picture of the Nolde Gymnasium. Being the 'Historical' school that we are, we refuse to demolish our old buildings in favor of adding sprawling and horrible looking additions. Visible to the right are the enclosed basketball courts. Not pictured, to the left is the swimming pool (looks pretty much the same as the b-ball courts) And the newest addition to the gym is...

This is the Davenport Squash Center. Dedicated just the past December, it includes 10 international regulation squash courts, and an open welcoming feel. It is currently the only part of the gym that I would be willing to be in if it were dark and empty.

This is... er was our performing arts center. Its name was Boone Hall, and it contained the music, dance, and theatre departments. Its auditorium could seat nearly six hundered people, and had many inherint design flaws. It is being replaced by...

The Burgin Center for the Arts. Designed to last for many years to come, the Burgin building is a complete 180 from what Boone Hall was. It is open and airy, and hopefully it won't have as many problems as the old building had. The building was designed by the Polshek Partnership in New York City. They also designed the Bill Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock Arkansas, and the Museum of Natural History's Rose Planitarium in New York. It should be completed by 2006.

And another side view. The round structure is a black box theatre with configurable seating etc., etc.,

This is Main Hall. Originally built in 1880... the original burnt down.... So they built another one! And that one built down... And So they built a third one! And that one stayed up! Containing five floors, only four of them are actually occupied. 5th floor is not in use due to fire restrictions... Main Hall is the symbol of the academy and the rotunda/flagpole on top are part of Mercersburgs insignia. Did I mention that I live in this dorm? Remodeled and wired for internet and telephone in 1997

Fowle Hall, largest dormitory on campus housing 93 students (Don't ask me how they get an odd number with two people to a room). Recently remodeled , it is quite nice except for the cinderblock walls and cold linoleum floors in the rooms. Recently remodeled in 2000

Originally an annex of the first Main Hall, Swank was first a dining hall, then an academic building, then an assembly hall, then a library, a boys dorm, and finally it has found its place as a girls dormitory. Boasting some of the smallest rooms on campus, lord only knows why it is the most popular... Renovations complted in 1999.

This is South Cottage, one of the three original buildings of Marshall College (now part of Franklin and Marshall College) which originally occupied the site. It is a small dorm housing about 30 students. Was used as a hospital for wounded soldiers from the Battle of Gettysburg. Renovations completed in 1998

Built in the 1960s, Tippets hall is the largest girls dorm on campus. It boasts such ammenities as a crazy german dorm dean, carpet in the rooms, and a collection of three classic Harley Davidson's in it's basement, as well as your assorted ghoststories, secret passages, and broken pool tables. Renovations/faculty housing added in 1999

Well this is my school in an uber huge/mutated nutshell... Its a nice place. Very rural indeed... In comparison to the other American college prep schools, we are the liberal arts school...
Gunadica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #38
asohn

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunadica
We have about 450 students
450! How can a student body of 450 support that huge campus! the campus is like a mini city! Either the school has very generous benefactors or the tuition is astronomical. Would it be rude of me to ask how much tuition to that school is?
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:07 AM   #39
Gunadica

No not at all. For me it costs absolutely nothing :-) The endowment we recieved from Mr. Lenfest also provided for a scholarship program in his name. He pays for my entire way through College, the best part is I can get a new computer every two years if I want to! I love being smart sometimes...

And yes, we have many generous benefactors.. our endowment is about 140 million dollars, so basically even if we get only 2 or 3 percent interest, thats a LOT of money... Thats nothing compared to Phillips Exeter or Andover... now those people are rich.... Even compared to Hill, Lawranceville, or Peddie, Mercersburg's campus pales...
Gunadica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #40
Nietzsche

Likes (Received):

Fettes Edinburgh Scotland (Tony Blair's School)

Last edited by Nietzsche; January 29th, 2005 at 07:25 PM.