daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #1
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu

Likes (Received): 899

Smile GST Road Projects and updates- Industrial/ Commercial/ Residential

Hi all,

This is a dedicated thread for Projects happening along GST Road. Projects can be:
  • Industries - SEZs, Factories, etc
  • Commercial - Malls, Retail stores etc
  • Educational Institutions
  • Residential Projects etc
  • Places of interest

All your news, photos and discussions are welcome.

About GST Road
Grand Southern Trunk Road or National Highway 45 is one of the busiest National Highways in Southern India with a total length of 472 km (293 mi). The highway starts from Kathipara junction in Guindy, a very busy confluence of five roads in southern Chennai and extends up to Theni. It connects Chennai to its airport and the southern suburbs.

However the scope of this thread will be limited to areas till Chengalpattu as we are mainly focussing on Chennai region

Salient advantages of this road:
  • Connects Chennai to south of the state
  • Railway line runs parallel to GST road thereby providing excellent connectivity infrastructure
  • 4-Lane road with 6-Lane and service road at many places
  • Touted as "New Chennai"
  • Almost parallel to ECR and IT Corridor
  • Has lot of industries, educational institutions, SEZs, residential areas, Commercial establishments etc

GST Road from Kathipara to Chengalpattu

Some pictures of the GST Road

1. GST road taken from Pallavaram flyover
image hosted on flickr

cc: seeveeaar, Flickr

2. Toll booth in NH45

cc: www.venkatarangan.com

3. NH 45 near Ulundurpet (though far away from Chennai)

cc: IJM infrastructure ltd

4. GST Road

cc: ricky, picasa

Last edited by wlbkng; December 1st, 2010 at 03:15 AM.
wlbkng no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #2
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu

Mahindra World City, GST Road, Near Chengalpattu

1. MAHINDRA WORLD CITY

Mahindra World City, New Chennai - Corporate India's first operational Special Economic Zone (SEZ) and India's first Integrated Business City is promoted by the Mahindra Group and TIDCO (Govt of Tamil Nadu Enterprise). It is a public-private initiative.

There is a separate thread dealing for Mahindra World City in SSC. Click here!

1. Entrance

2. Ascendas tech park

3. BMW

4. Infosys

5. WABCO TVS

6. Paranur Railway station

Read more about this in Mahindra city thread
CC: Mahindra city corporate website

Last edited by wlbkng; November 30th, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #3
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu

2. SRM University

SRM (Sri Ramaswamy Memorial) University, is a co-educational private university in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. The university has four campuses in Tamil Nadu at Kattangulathur, Kancheepuram district, Ramapuram, Vadapalani, Trichy and one in Modinagar, near Delhi. Previously functioning under Anna University, as SRM Engineering College, the institute gained deemed status in 2003-04, and was renamed SRMIST (SRM Institute of Science and Technology) and then eventually called SRM University.

The SRM University campus at Potheri in GST road is its main and biggest campus. Some pictures of the campus. University website

1. Auditorium & Tech park

2. Hostel and Staff Quarters

3. Biotech Block

CC: SRM univ website, Wikipedia
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #4
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu

3. L&T Estancia, GST Road, Vallanchery, Guduvancheri

ESTANCIA IT SEZ is a notified SEZ and the first project of its kind in Chennai, providing a totally integrated township for discerning IT professionals to work and live, away from the congestion and pollution of the city.

Located on the GST (NH 45) Road in Guduvanchery, just a 20-minute drive from the airport, it is spread over an area of 82 acres. Surrounded by lakes and hills it already has a resort like environment. Adding to the natural beauty will be the landscaped campus of Estancia, serene and environmental friendly, to accommodate around 50,000 people.

Estancia will consist of three major components developed under three SPVs, promoted by the Larsen & Toubro Limited and Arun Excello Infrastructure Pvt Ltd.,

27 acres IT Special Economic Zone (SEZ) with 3.04 M sq.ft of office space.
41 acres Residential Gated Township with over 2000 apartments
11 acres Commercial and retail development with a Hotel Service apartment (By Holiday Inn) and a Mall cum Multiplex.
3 acres for a school run by Vidya Mandir (Mylapore).
The total project, spread over approx. 82 acres is expected to be completed in two phases by 2010 or even earlier as per demand.

World-renowned architects RMJM of UK, have created the master plan and designed each building, keeping modern international practices of township layouts in mind. Strata a subsidiary of RMJM has created the landscapes. Estancia will no doubt rival similar townships in Singapore and Hong Kong in scale and grandeur on completion.

Source: Estancia SEZ Website

More details can be found on Estancia thread in SSC by cliking here

1. View 1

2. Aerial view (Includes SRM buildings too)

3. Residental block

CC: Estancia website
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:07 AM   #5
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu

4. Ford India Factory

Ford India has its factory at GST Road, Maraimalai nagar.

1. Aerial View

CC: www.at.ford.com

2. Workers assembling a Ford Fiesta car

CC: BBC
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:18 AM   #6
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu

5. Shriram Gateway

Shriram Properties Limited in joint venture with SUN-Apollo is developing a 4.8 million sf mixed use development project in the erstwhile standard motor property. Out of the 4,800,000 sq ft (446,000 m2), 3,600,000 sq ft (334,000 m2) will be under SEZ called 'The Gateway' in GST Road, Perungalathur. The Gateway is spread over an area of 57.94 acres (234,500 m2) and will comprise an IT SEZ, retail mall, multiplex & serviced apartments. Companies that have leased space in the Gateway:
  • Accenture - has leased up 4.60 lakh sq. ft.
  • Mahindra Satyam - has leased up 2.10 lakh sq. ft.
  • Take Solution- has leased 1.0 lac sft
  • Mobius,
  • Trianz,
  • Sybrant Technologies
  • Redington
  • Congruent,

1. Rendering of Shriram Gateway SEZ

2. Building A1

3. Building B6 (you can see the Accenture logo in this building)

4. Incubation centre

cc: ShriramGateway.com
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:33 AM   #7
ceeznic pirate
Racine, WI

Likes (Received): 3316

Cross Posting from projects update thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeznic pirate View Post
GST Ride Tambaram - SPKoil

Most of the pics are taken today

Residential appmts Urappakkam

2. Vandalur Park(bt located at Urapakkam)

Shot at 2010-10-03

Shot at 2010-10-03

Another Residential appmts Urappakkam

Another Residential appmts Urappakkam (From Akshaya Homes)

Lot of residiential projects are going on at Urapakkam

Another Residential appmts Urappakkam

6. Estancia, Potheri

7. SRM, Potheri

8. Metropolis - Akshaya Homes, Maraimalai Nagar

ceeznic pirate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:04 AM   #8
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu

Residential Areas

Main Residential areas abutting GST Road between Kathipara and Chengalpattu
  • St.Thomas mount
  • Pazhavanthangal
  • Meenambakkam
  • Pallavaram
  • Chromepet
  • Tambaram
  • Perungalathur
  • Vandalur
  • Urapakkam
  • Guduvancheri
  • Potheri
  • Kattangalathur
  • Maraimalainagar
  • Singaperumal koil
  • Chengalpattu

Reserved for updates
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:14 AM   #9
r3dg33k

Likes (Received): 0

They should widen this road to 6 or 8 lanes from Chennai to Villupuram.. IMO this road is more congested than Chennai-Bangalore highway..

Last edited by r3dg33k; December 1st, 2010 at 04:03 AM.
r3dg33k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM   #10
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dg33k View Post
They should widen this road to 6 or 8 lanes from Chennai to Villupuram.. IMO this road is more congested than Chennai-Bangalore highway..
Yes it is more congested particularly between Tambaram and Mahindra city
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM   #11
ceeznic pirate
Racine, WI

Likes (Received): 3316

True. Perungulathur has more or less became like tambaram with almost all buses stopping there and during peak hours it takes more than 10 minutes to cross perungulathur signal. Next traffic hit zone in the stretch is guduvancherry signal.
ceeznic pirate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:29 PM   #12
bharathkasthuri

Minimum program is to build a uniform 6 lane with good service lanes. Service lanes (if at all there) are often misused by most of the road users. Long term solution is to go for 8 lane (not sure of the delay in doing that). My observation is that GST becomes 4 lane in some places, 6+1/2 lanes near airport, again losing some lands to hawkers. Patch work is done in most of the places to look like 6 lane till tambaram.
bharathkasthuri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #13
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu

Pedestrians risk life to cross GST Road

SHORT CUT: Pedestrians squeeze their way through the gap between the barricades and the concrete median on GST Road in Chromepet on Tuesday. Photo: A.Muralitharan

Risking their lives, several hundred commuters walk across the Grand Southern Trunk Road in Chromepet daily to reach the railway station and bus stand.

The Chennai Suburban Traffic Police along with the Highways Department and local bodies has been plugging gaps on the median wherever possible to prevent jaywalking and criss-crossing of vehicles across the road.

As part of the measures to reduce the rate of accidents and to improve traffic flow on the arterial road, barricades were installed a week ago at a pedestrian crossing between the medians.

According to police officials, the pedestrian crossing was closed as a traffic signal at the intersection of CLC Works Road and GST Road was activated recently and as it was only 50 metres away.

The move has not gone down well with pedestrians as they have to take a circuitous route to reach the bus stand and railway station. Many of them squeeze their way through the narrow space between the barricades and the concrete median.

Police officials said they had taken into account safety of pedestrians and motorists before placing barricades as it was not wise to have two pedestrian crossings in a space of about 50 m. However, since it was done only recently, they would study the new arrangement and take into consideration the pedestrians' views.

Chromepet residents recalled that as early as 2006, the National Highways Authority of India had mooted a proposal to construct a foot over bridge with escalators for the benefit of pedestrians to reach the railway station and the bus stand and even a function to lay the foundation stone was held a couple of years later. If such a facility was in place, pedestrians' problems would be a thing of the past, they added.

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle1011798.ece
Old December 30th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #14
Mad 4 Madras
Mad 4 Madras

Just a month back when I was there for Diwali I met with an accident on this road near Guduvancheri signal. Two guys on pulsar with cruising speed did not mind the red signal where I started to cross the road after 5secs of Green signal along with other people. A school girl was right on the biker's track, then suddenly I entered with my bike to save the girl. They dashed my bike and I jumped out of it luckily. My Discover's neck got broken and dome was scattered to pieces. Those two fallen down and crowd caught them bleeding. The guys were drunken. As I have to leave India in next two days I had no time to repair my bike. Alas! But I was very happy that I saved the girl's life. That accident would have been fatal or could have completely changed her life.

This road is very risky. And I plead people to be very cautious when you are crossing this road. The mistake will not always be yours but others mistake can cause your life.

-----------------------------------
Chennai One Stop Global City - Sooooooon

Last edited by Mad 4 Madras; December 30th, 2010 at 07:12 AM.
Mad 4 Madras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #15
wlbkng
Mama Biscothu

+1000.. Good work done by you. Why wont they drink and drive when you keep TASMAC shops just in front of GST road itself? Corruption and excessive alcohol are two big banes ruining our country..
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #16
kannan infratech

Likes (Received): 7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad 4 Madras View Post
Just a month back when I was there for Diwali I met with an accident on this road near Guduvancheri signal. Two guys on pulsar with cruising speed did not mind the red signal where I started to cross the road after 5secs of Green signal along with other people. A school girl was right on the biker's track, then suddenly I entered with my bike to save the girl. They dashed my bike and I jumped out of it luckily. My Discover's neck got broken and dome was scattered to pieces. Those two fallen down and crowd caught them bleeding. The guys were drunken. As I have to leave India in next two days I had no time to repair my bike. Alas! But I was very happy that I saved the girl's life. That accident would have been fatal or could have completely changed her life.

This road is very risky. And I plead people to be very cautious when you are crossing this road. The mistake will not always be yours but others mistake can cause your life.
I salute You M4M ! God Bless You !

It is very rare to see such Heroics now a days.
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #17
prakashgalaxy

Aerens Gold Souk's Chennai

Guys,

Any idea on when the cinemax's Aerens Gold Souk's Chennai multiplex will be opened in Vandalore, Chennai?

Thanks
Prakash
prakashgalaxy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #18
satchitananda

Likes (Received): 1135

Quote:

Absolutely proud of your presence of mind.

Firstly as mentioned above, Government should get out of killing folks with alcohol business. Secondly DUI laws should be stricter and implemented impartially(Tall order for a corrupt police and greasy officials)
satchitananda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #19
win-win

Likes (Received): 2

Very Heroic effort! Thank you M4Madras!

Quote:

win-win no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #20
ChennaiIndian

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:

Weight-a kaatiteenga rasa!! Seriously, hats off to your efforts!!
ChennaiIndian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chennai

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: