daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #81
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Not a terribly good spot for destination retail. It's too far from the core. Neighborhood focused retail on the other hand...
Agreed.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 28th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #82
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Mike View Post
Not bad looking, but I could do without the rust horizontal lines. This city needs more color.
At least it's not blue, green or grey...

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #83
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 633

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueBoy View Post
I remember in the late 90's there was a proposal to redevelop that entire Camlin hotel block with condos, office, and retail. Still waiting on this to happen.
The Teutch lowrise housing (spanning the tunnel) is projected for this year. Ava hasn't been in DPD for a while. The Olivian was a big part of this site. I'd call it half a win, going on 65%.
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #84
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueBoy View Post
I remember in the late 90's there was a proposal to redevelop that entire Camlin hotel block with condos, office, and retail. Still waiting on this to happen.
I, too, remember that ; The Olivian Towers. Two round condo towers and a huge base where AVA and the Olivian now sit. That won't happen now as Olivian built smaller and AVA probably will be built in some manner. Next door to Camlin is a small apartment that is going through design review (I believe).

That pretty much takes up the block.

EDIT: Sorry. I'm echoing Mhays
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #85
BellevueBoy

Likes (Received): 1

I was really stoked about the Ava project since it was going all hollywood/south beach on us with an rooftop lounge and outdoor pool.

That is a great corner that will eventually connect the retail core with whatever is built over the convention place station. I view that corner and 2nd & Pine at the other end as the bookends that will complete Pine Street.
BellevueBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #86
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The Teutch lowrise housing (spanning the tunnel) is projected for this year.
I don't remember seeing anything about this. Drawings anywhere?
Ruffhauser está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #87
LCIII

Likes (Received): 703

It's in the general development thread I think.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #88
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 633

Sure. http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID3447.pdf
mhays está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #89
SJM

Likes (Received): 60

nvm delete
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #90
mSeattle

Likes (Received): 66

This is kind of old. Maybe someone posted this in the general development thread.

Work on 40-story downtown apartment tower set for spring [2012]
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...prmid=obinsite
Old March 20th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #91
LCIII

It's actually two pages back in this same thread. That's what started all the activity in this thread again.
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #92
LCIII

Starting next month!

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12040885.html
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #93
jessejb

Likes (Received): 279

That is bad-ass! I love this tower. Up, up, up. Will look sexified when walking down Pine Street or coming thru downtown southbound on I-5.
jessejb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #94
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 398

I wonder if AVA (across the street) is going to stick with condos and wait for the downtown population to increase as well as the market to improve for condos. Seems strange for it to be so silent still.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #95
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 1054

I can't remember, did the property (Ava) ever go through foreclosure?
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #96
LCIII

It'd be smart for at least a few of them to hold out and stick to condos. A lot of people just flat out want to own and not rent. Over the course of 8-12 years as Amazon builds their campus and fills it with new hires the condo market will reap the benefit there like it did in SLU.
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #97
LCIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejb View Post
That is bad-ass! I love this tower. Up, up, up. Will look sexified when walking down Pine Street or coming thru downtown southbound on I-5.
Couldnt agree more! It's getting so dense in that area! I love it!
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #98
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 190

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjjZG...eature=related

yyaaaayyyy!

The French are the chefs
The Italians are the lovers
The British are the police
The Germans are the mechanics
And the Swiss make everything run on time

Hell is Where:

The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police
BoulderGrad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #99
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
Nice. For those without full DJC access.....

Holland to start 40-story apartment tower in June

By MARC STILES
Journal Staff Reporter

Holland Development is preparing to start construction next month on what will be Seattle's tallest apartment tower.

The 40-story project has yet to be named, but it will go up at the southwest corner of Pine Street and Ninth Avenue, west of the Paramount Theatre.

“We believe everything is on track for a start in June,” said Tom Parsons, regional partner of Holland, which is buying the quarter-block site from Security Properties.

Weber Thompson is the architect and Susan Marinello is the interior designer. Holland Construction is the general contractor.

Other team members are Cary Kopczynski & Co., structural engineering; GeoEngineers, geotechnical; Terra Associates, soil consulting; and Golder Associates, environmental engineering.

Parsons declined to name the project's equity partner, and said the construction loan will be final within the next 30 days. Cost of construction was not disclosed.

The Ninth and Pine project will have 386 units. It will be the fourth project Holland has under construction now, and the company plans two more starts this summer. All six Seattle projects are in the urban core and total 1,426 units. That's just 74 units shy of the total of all new units that opened in the tri-county area last year.

With demand and rents rising, apartment developers are planning a lot of projects. Dupre + Scott Apartment Advisors predicts 27,800 units will open between now and the end of 2015 in the tri-county area. In Seattle, developers plan to add 12,000 units over the next five years.

Parsons isn't worried about overbuilding. He said Holland does “a tremendous amount of research” about job growth, units in the pipeline and other factors.

The company is banking on strong job growth for the next two years, especially in downtown Seattle, thanks in large part to Amazon.com. He said institutional investors are disciplined and they “will begin tapping the brakes” when they think there's too much construction.

Security Properties got the project approved three years ago. Security Properties Chief Operating Officer Tim Overland said his company is selling to focus on projects elsewhere, including Columbia City, and “to maintain a defensive posture.”

This is not to say the project won't be successful for Holland, Overland said. He called Holland a credible buyer, and said that is why his company and its partner on the property, Northwestern Mutual, decided to sell to Holland. “Not just anybody can [build a project of this size].”

Overland said his company's strategic advantage is to develop in neighborhoods with “tight-knit communities” where permitting can be a challenge: “Columbia City fits perfectly into that.”

Security Properties is buying a site at 4801 Rainier Ave. S. from HAL Real Estate Investments. Security hired Bumgardner to design a project with about 195 units and commercial space, including room for a grocery that Overland said could be a PCC Natural Market.

Holland's Ninth and Pine site is 13,560 square feet, which seems tight for a 40-story tower, but Parsons said it works well for a tall-and-slender project. Several years ago, the city changed the zoning to encourage this type of development, which allows more daylight at street level and helps maintain view corridors.

Bumgardner designed the project Security Properties had planned for Ninth and Pine, and Weber Thompson retooled it “from the bottom up,” according to company principal Blaine Weber.

Floor plates will be 10,700 square feet, and the units will average about 800 square feet. Weber said the project is aimed at “a little more of an upscale renter” than competing projects with smaller units.

There will be 269 parking stalls on four underground and four above-ground levels.

About 3,200 square feet of commercial space is planned, and Weber said it could accommodate a fine-dining restaurant that wants to be across the street from the Paramount.

Weber said an art glass marquee with LED lights that change color will disguise the above-grade parking, and serve “as a nod to the Paramount marquee.”

The entire facade will be “playful,” he said, with orange and burnt sienna highlights intended to give it a “staccato effect.” Colored recesses in the facade will further break up the massing.

Amenities include garden terraces above the podium and on the 40th floor.

The first tenants should be able to move in 26 months after construction begins, Parsons said.

Holland expects to start a 286-unit project at 801 Dexter Ave. N. in June, and a 134-unit project at 1201 Mercer St. in July.

Holland's 236-unit project called Coppins Well at 1200 Madison St. is to open in August. The company's 284-unit project at 901 Dexter Ave. N. is to open Oct. 1, and a 100-unit project at 717 Dexter Ave. N. will open next March, Parsons said.

Ruffhauser está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #100
Rogue Linguist

Likes (Received): 165

I love the verticality of the orange stripes. It creates a nice sense of height and slenderness.