search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Norway > Oslo

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #41
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 5

More smaller projects, this may bore some, hehe.

Øvre Vålerenga
Vålerenga - inner east

185 apartments in 4 buildings on 6 floors. Construction started 4Q of 2002, and will be finished by next month. This project sparked alot of controversy because it's partly built over an old railroad-track of some importance. As a result, the plans became less compact than original planned, and the number of apartments reduced from 300.

A few of my images from this spring:

The only "virgin" area within the city borders that is allowed for new construction, is a small piece of land south in Oslo. Here follows a few projects from that area. Nothing special about these projects, but I want to present them anyways

Freidigkollen
Mortensrud - Southern Oslo

55 apartments in 3 buildings. Planned to be finished summer 2005.

Høgåsen
Holmlia - Southern Oslo

66 apartments in 11 buildings are just finished.

View

Krummedike
Holmlia - Southern Oslo

28 apartments in two buildings on 5 floors, recently finished. It get its name from Henrik Krummedike, a danish rich man living in the area from 1464 to 1530.

Munkerud
Nordstrand - Southern Oslo

27 apartments in 3 buildings, also recently finished.

More interesting projects will come later..

Last edited by NorthStar77; August 24th, 2004 at 11:42 PM.
NorthStar77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:54 PM   #42
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2258

Nice projects though they was really, really smal.
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #43
NorthStar77
Born to run

Yes I was surfing OBOS's site and just felt to present them
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #44
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar77
Yes I was surfing OBOS's site and just felt to present them
Yes, and that really nice too, perhaps members here see some other qind of architecture as well, not only the boxy terraced houses in some 7-9 floors which there is plenty of.
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #45
Devilution
Schnitzl'd in the Negev

Likes (Received): 1

OMG those buildings look as if they were stolen from Espoo Except for that last pic, it´s a bit different and I kinda like it actually.
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:39 PM   #46
NorthStar77
Born to run

Lørenbyen
Oslo east, 1 km southeast of Grefsen Stasjonsby, and 1 km northeast of me.

This is a pretty large project, involving 1500 apartments, shops, hairdresser, restaurants, cafe's, new streets, a park, kindergardens, school etc. In short, a new urban part of Oslo. The plot lies on a former millitary campus, and will combine new buildings with the historic ones. The tallest buildings will be up to 9 floors.

Overview map:

First part of Lørenbyen to be built is Lørenparken, with 200 apartments. Construction will start in 4Q this year, and will be finished by the end of next year. The entire "town" will be finished in 2013.

How parts of the first developements will look like:

There is this really cool shockwave animation that allows you to navigate in 3D around in Løren. Check it out! http://www.nybydel.no/3d/3d.htm
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #47
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Lørenbyen is a quite interesting development site, at least it was really interesting. Some fo the proposals i first saw did content taller buildings included high-rise buildings. But this final approval looks to become really nice, tough i actually would agreed to built some few taller buildings at this site.
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:58 PM   #48
NorthStar77
Born to run

Ensjøbyen
Oslo east - 1 km south of me

This area has been mentioned before here at SSC, but its a long time ago, and I think a description belongs here. Ensjø, a 20 minutes walk from the centralstation, is today a very unfriendly place with lots of car sellers. But the owners of the area have realized that a better use of the area is to make it packed with apartments. There are plans to build up to 7.000 apartments, housing up to 15.000 people. So far, there is no exact timeline for the developement, but architects suggest it will start within 2 years, and end within 10.

There has been a architect competition. It seems that nimbys here don't mind 12-20 floors, as long as it is built around the metrostation, and it's just one building on that height. I just read through some of the objections made by organized nimbys on the municipal website. (All documents concerning every plans in all of the city is availiable on pdf, so reading trough all of them could take a lifetime).

Some renderings of the proposals, for the area around the metrostation.

HRTB architects:
Tallest building will be 12 floors

Asplan architects:
Tallest will only be 7 floor

Plan B architects:
Tallest on 20 floor, I have strong strong doubts if this proposal ever will go through.

More on this project later.
Old August 27th, 2004, 12:00 AM   #49
NorthStar77
Born to run

It turns out that some small parts of Ensjøbyen has acctually already been developed!

Malerhaugen
A small, ordinary project containing 37 apartments. Finished by the end of last year, so I don't know if it belongs here at all, but it shows that some developements has started already in the area.

Another area where plans will soon materialize is
Tiedemannsjordet
170 apartments, 3-6 floors, construction start next year.

----------------

In another part of town:
Bergensgate 26
Bjølsen - Oslo north

Two projects on this adress, both finished recently. A total of 104 apartments on 6 floors

Lisa Kristoffersens Plass:

Voldsløkka park
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:29 AM   #50
NorthStar77
Born to run

Double railroadtrack Skøyen-Asker

This is the biggest railroad-project in Norway at the moment. The railroad going westbound from Oslo is today the most trafficated in the nation. So trafficated that its capacity is full. The existing double track is packet most of the day, and just a minor delay causes massive congestion. I experience this often as I commute on part of this track every day.

The new tracks will serve as highspeed-tracks. This project have a total estimated cost of 800 million EUR, started in 2001 and is expected to be finished in 2012. This project contains alot of technical challenges, as the tracks will be built in highly populated and trafficated areas.

80% of the ~20 km new track will be in tunnel, as shown in dotted line.

The area from Asker to Sandvika will be finished first, in 2005. In Sandvika, where I work, work on the new 4 track railroadbridge has recently finished. Infact, the station reopened just a few weeks ago, after final adaptations were made. It has been quite impressive to see the progress, while the train traffic has been going mostly undisturbed all along. I have seen directly down on the work beeing done from my office.

The bridge over Sanvika "downtown", some illustrations.

From the early works on the new bridge, while the old brigde still was standing

This spring:

Between Asker and Sandvika, 3 tunnels are under construction, Tanumtunnellen on 2,7 kilometers, Skaugumtunnellen on 3,6 km, and Jongtunnellen on 0,8 km.

Some images from the tunneling(couldn't find any bigger ) :

Jongtunnel:

Asker station:

Works on Asker station:

Works on the track between Sandvika and Lysaker will probably not start until late 2006. 5,5 km of it will be in tunnel.

Works on a new Lysaker station will begin in 2005 and finish in 2008. Lysaker is a regional hub, with 20.000 jobs within a radius of 800 meters from the station, and offices for ~10.000 new jobs + 1.500 new apartments is under planning.
This rendering show the new station, and also some new office buildings in the area.

The last part of the track remains unclear about wheter when construction will start, but it will not be soon, unfortunately....
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:45 PM   #51
Gatis

Likes (Received): 590

800 mio EUR.... mmm, that's something! Very impressive works!
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM   #52
NorthStar77
Born to run

...or a little above 6 billion norwegian kroner if you like. But take into consideration that this is over a timespan of more than a decade, and that construction-costs probably is a bit higher here than in Latvia
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:49 PM   #53
Gatis

Likes (Received): 590

Price of Norvegian construction worker includes (daily):
- waking up in the morning - 1 000 NOK for any minute before 11.00 AM
- opening eyes - 2000 NOK;
- one leg out of bed - 2400 NOK
- another leg (this movement is a bit more complicated) - 2800 NOK
etc.etc.
Like this? Just kidding
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:58 PM   #54
NorthStar77
Born to run

A little exagerated, but there is some truth in it Contruction workers often get better paid than academic people. A few years back it was really bonanza with paychecks on like 400.000+ NOK a year + trips to London and other benfits...but I think it has become healthier now, especially after the enlarged EU(wich affects us because we are in Shengen)
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:24 PM   #55
LatvianGG
Hotel Business

Likes (Received): 1

Nice railway.... I hope I will use it once in the future when it's finished.

BTW, I heard everyone in Norway is moving to big cities, the villages are becoming ghost-villages. I even heard that the government invites foreigners to settle up there to avoid even bigger problems. True?
LatvianGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:47 PM   #56
NorthStar77
Born to run

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianGG
BTW, I heard everyone in Norway is moving to big cities, the villages are becoming ghost-villages. I even heard that the government invites foreigners to settle up there to avoid even bigger problems. True?
It's true that people are moving to the big cities. Oslo area gets half of the total population growth at the moment. The rest of the growth is happening in the other biggest cities. Living outside one of the biggest cities is considered uncool.

Saying that villages are becoming ghost-towns is a little exhagerated, but some places the school, the local shop etc. closes. And some places manage to survive thanks to immigrants. I read recently about this consultant that got paid about 15.000 EUR by several communes for each dutch person he convinced to move to their commune. Several schools have been saved this way. Also, in northern Norway, where the depopulation is worst, some fishing communities survive by the help of immigrants from Sri Lanka(!), that are willing to work at the fisheries. Young norwegians simply don't want to work with fish anymore.
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:48 PM   #57
NorthStar77
Born to run

While we are at it...

Oslopakke 2
This is, as the name suggests, the second packet of different transportation projects in the Oslo-region(Oslo+Akershus). Those new railtracks I described above is part of the project. The project spans from 2002 to 2011, and the total costs will be 15,6 billion NOK(1,85 billion EUR). 1,8 billions of these comes from the toll-road, and 1,3 billions comes from ,75 krone of each public transport ticket.

The projects that have highest priority in the period 2002-2005:
Railroad:
* Skøyen-Asker: described before
* Oslo Centralstation - Ski: new double tracks - start the work on upgrading Ski station.

Metro:
* New metro-ring: first phase finished last year, with Storo and Nydalen station added. Second phase with the new station Sinsen will be completed in 2006. The works on the new tunnel caused a massive stone-slide in the existing tunnel on line 5 a few weeks ago. This has caused all traffic on that line to stop now, creating chaos around here. 35.000 people have to be shuttled by bus instead everyday...
*Kolsåsline: Upgrading to metro standard from Sørbyhaugen to Bekkestua, to increase punctuality, safety, speed and capacity.
*Grorudline and the maintunnel: measures to increase safety(fires occur almost on a weekly basis) and speed.
* Homansbyen station: Start work on this station that will be located on the mainline, between Nationaltheateret and Majorstua.

Other
*Different measures to make it possible for busses to drive faster.
*Smaller improvements on roads.
*Better public transport internally in Groruddalen

-----

Nydalen station, that opened last year. "Tunnel of light", a weird experience, light changes color constantly and weird sounds occur. I tried it once and felt like I was part of a Stanley Kubric film.

There are also ordered 99 new metro-cars from Siemens, that are expected to arrive in 2006. These are the same that operate the metro in Vienna, to avoid much "baby-trouble".

Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:30 AM   #58
NorthStar77
Born to run

Some projects in Nydalen

Nydalen Campus

At that new metrostation I showed picture of in the last post, an entire "new town" is emerging. The goverment wanted the
abandoned airportsite Fornebu to become the powerhouse of norwegian IT-industry. As always when the goverment
is involved in something, progress is too slow. Therefore, Nydalen has emerged sorta naturally instead. The amounts
of construction-projects here the last couple of years, and coming years, is overwhelming.

Perhaps the biggest is Nydalen Campus, where the private economic college BI will move all their activities in the Oslo area.
Their ambitions is to become the best economy college in Europe. When finished next year, it will have a total area of
100.000 sqmeters on 6 floors (+ basement), and house 8-9000 students. Part of the building will be turned into
rental-offices. In the middle of the building, there will be a shopping street with 3.000 sqm of retail.

I was up there to take a look at it a few months ago....wow, this building is so huge!

As you can see, it will be located right behind Solsiden apartments that Christian wrote about before.

Main-entrance

Progress as of today

---------------------------

Nydalshøyden
The area seen to the right in the first picture above, is also under developement. 3 office-buildings on
50.000 sqmeters in total, will be finished early next year.

-------

Pynten

This is a very small project in the area, but the design is somewhat special. 3000 sqmeters officefloor.

-----------

Radisson SAS
In the background of the picture above, you can see the brand new Radisson hotel in Nydalen

-------------

All of these projects(incl. Solsiden), except Pynten, will be heated by a central heating storage, located in
the mountain below. The energy-storage will consist of 1.200.000 cubic meters of mountain, capable of storing
most of the heat needed to warm all those buildings. This is the biggest project of its kind in Europe.

When there is a surplus of heat, typically at summer, hot water is pumped down in 180 energy-wells on a depth
of 200 meters. This acumulates to 1.200.000 cubicmeters of mountain.

Energyflow in summer:

Read more in norwegian here: http://www.avantor.no/index.php?id=101

-------

I'll dig up more about Nydalen later. Now to end this post, here are some more pictures from Nydalen.

The two last ones are from the metrostation

Old September 8th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #59
NorthStar77
Born to run

Today it was announced that a new busroute will open downtown, and the big news here is that it will be for free! This is an initiative by 9 shoppingcentres downtown, to make it easier for people to move between the centres. At first, it will only drive on saturday between 12-17, and the stops will be at each centre, as shown in this map. It will go every 15 minutes. Naturally, the annual bill on 1 million kroner (120.000 EUR) will be shared by the centres.
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #60
NorthStar77
Born to run

Downtown Oslo a construction site

Downtown sidewalks and streets are closed and pedestrians must wend their way through an obstacle course of heavy machinery. The city center is in upheaval but there are plenty of good reasons, one of them being Norway's 100th anniversary of independence next year.

Oslo's central rail station west towards fashionable Frogner has become such a minefield of excavations that smart pedestrians give up and choose underground transportation.

The city's main boulevard, Karl Johans gate, which leads to the palace, is being ripped up, as has the parallel street Stortingsgata. Buses are re-routed and the stoplight near the palace has been converted into a traffic circle.

The city transport authority grants all permission to dig in the capital's streets; everything from a homeowner's need to change a sewage pipe to the gigantic projects taking place throughout the downtown area. This year 3,500 excavation projects will take place in Oslo.

Odd Bratteberg, divisional director at the city transport authority, said that all the disruption hasn't quite angered the general public.

"We don't get abuse but people moan and groan about all the activity," Bratteberg said.

Although the renovations are not a concerted effort, most will be finished by Norway's national day on May 17th next year, when the city will be ready to celebrate the centenary of the dissolution of the union between Sweden and Norway in 1905.

The area around the National Theater (rear left) is a maze of construction obstacles.

Frognerveien isn't easy to walk now, but the digging has put a temporary halt to automobile traffic.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...icle869515.ece

---------

An overview of some of the major projects

1. Lid over E18, soon finished
2. Brushing up of Storting-street. cost 15-20 million NOK
3. Brushing up of Karl Johan street. Pedestrian street will be longer. 50 million NOK
4. Mosseveien(E18), building bicycle road. 20 million NOK
5. Trondheimsveien, pedestrian tunnel, soon finished. 19 million NOK
6. Rebuilding of the following streets: Frederiks gate, Stortingsgata, Drammensveien, Munkedamsveien og Ruseløkkveien. Construction of roundabout. 84 million NOK
7. Wessels square to National theatre, brushing up tramline
8. Kirkeveien, brushing up tramline and street in general. Making a bicycle lane. 21 million NOK
9. Ullernchausséen/Vækerøveien, construction of roundabout. cost 20 million NOK
10. Smestadkrysset, making a public transport lane. 15 million NOK
11. Drammensveien/Parkveien, roundabout at the american embassy. 3,5 million NOK
12. Persveien bus stop, brushing up. 1,5 million NOK
13. Sognsveien, upgrading pedestrian and bicycle lane. 2 million NOK
14. Nedre Kalbakkvei
15. Kongsveien
16. St. Hanshaugen, bicycle path. 6 million NOK
17. Tøyengata, is to be made into a so-called "enviroment-street", with wide sidewalks etc. 3-4 million
18. Alexander Kiellands plass, 10 streets in the area will get new water-pipes. At the same time, pipes for remote heat will be laid.
19. E6/Skulleruddumpa. Making the road more straight.

Tags
development, oslo