daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 5th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #41
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

^ Because Qatar is hosting 2022 and a confederation can't host more than one of every three World Cups. No Asian country will be able to host again until 2034.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #42
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

I'm more years old !!
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #43
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrayyan View Post
I support Egypt or Morocco 2026 FIFA World Cup.
2 Arab World Cups in a row !!!

Argentina - Uruguay should host 2030 FIFA World Cup.

Canada
Canada is indeed possible. Finally, the country is building modern stadiums and improving their existing ones for not only the country's CFL, but for other football codes too.

One can easily expect this bid stadium setup:

Existing, no upgrades:
- BC Place (Vancouver - British Columbia) - 60,000
- Skydome (Toronto - Ontario) - 46,374 to 50,000
- New Winnipeg Stadium (Winnipeg - Manitoba) - 45,000

Existing, minor upgrades:
- Stade Olympique (Montreal - Quebec) - 66,308
- New Roughriders Stadium (Regina - Saskatchewan) - 50,000

Existing, major upgrades:
- Commonwealth Stadium (Edmonton - Alberta) - 70,000
- McMahon Stadium (Calgary - Alberta) - 50,000
- Pan American Stadium (Hamilton - Ontario - Athletics Track) - 45,000
- Frank Clair Stadium (Ottawa - Ontario, effective complete reconstruction) - 45,000
- Moncton Stadium (Moncton - New Brunswick - Athletics Track) - 40,000
- BMO Field (Toronto - Ontario) - 40,000

New Stadiums:
- Toronto Stadium (Toronto - Ontario, convertible, from Athletics to all kinds of Football, thanks to movable seats on the lower tier) - 80,000
- Halifax Stadium (Halifax - Nova Scotia - Athletics Track, down-sizable) - 45,000
- Quebec City Stadium (Quebec City - Quebec - down-sizable) - 40,000

If Qatar can do it, then surely Canada, the world's 2nd largest country, with a population like 30 times of Qatar can do it! :P
Lord David no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #44
Lord David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yongo View Post
Venezuela? r u kidding me?
What with their recent hosting of the 2007 Copa America, I'd say it's remotely possible, why it's more logical than that err place, what is it again? Qatar? Even if Venezuela hasn't qualified for a WC before.
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #45
Lord David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
Australia can't bid. They would never give Asia back-to-back World Cups. I doubt Australia bids again. Hopefully Australia, England, Spain, and the USA never bid again.
Why? I'd expect Australia to bid again, but with current stupid rules it won't be till like the 2034 edition of the WC. By then we'd hopefully have large enough Rectangular Stadiums for our rectangle sports.
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #46
chibetogdl
soy NiNi

Likes (Received): 532

mexico, the first country to organize 3 world cups, i even have the cities

mexico city
guadalajara
monterrey
puebla
leon
queretaro
pachuca
morelia
torreon
tijuana
toluca
cancun
aguascalientes
san luis potosi

we will win 4 sure but we have to wait 10 years, i mean if qatar can make a world cup why we can organize it for hte third time? we deserve it, the best world cups were played in mexico
chibetogdl no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #47
YearOfTheOx

Likes (Received): 0

My vote for the 2026 World Cup goes to Monaco., and I've got it all worked out.

They don't have the space or even the need to build 12 new 50,000+ stadia, so they won't.

They'll just build two, and they will float in the marina, they'll also have a dozen floating pitches out at sea and they will just pull in a different pitch for each match.

After the WC, the stadiums will be towed to the middle east to satisy the surge in interest in Football generated by the 2022 WC. They may have to widen the Suez canal a tad, but after the engineering feats of 2022, putting air-con over an entire nation, it will be a breeze.
YearOfTheOx no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #48
DimitriB

Likes (Received): 76

Greenland !

- Everything is possible -
DimitriB no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #49
ormey

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
Australia can't bid. They would never give Asia back-to-back World Cups. I doubt Australia bids again. Hopefully Australia, England, Spain, and the USA never bid again.
why you say that ? because fifa dont want countries that have great stadiums already built quatar is a joke 40 miles wide country hosting teams that hate each other in close proximity .
ormey no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #50
TerrierChad

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOfTheOx View Post
My vote for the 2026 World Cup goes to Monaco., and I've got it all worked out.

They don't have the space or even the need to build 12 new 50,000+ stadia, so they won't.

They'll just build two, and they will float in the marina, they'll also have a dozen floating pitches out at sea and they will just pull in a different pitch for each match.

After the WC, the stadiums will be towed to the middle east to satisy the surge in interest in Football generated by the 2022 WC. They may have to widen the Suez canal a tad, but after the engineering feats of 2022, putting air-con over an entire nation, it will be a breeze.
It will be like Singapore but on a gigantic scale

I know there's been a lot of tongue in cheek references about Qatar but in all seriousness, them winning can potentially change the landscape. For example, before Qatar won I thought New Zealand would be too small to host a World Cup on it's own but now? If they have a successful rugby WC next year then you can probably put them in the running for 2026.
TerrierChad no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #51
chibimatty

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrayyan View Post
Canada
Yeah, it's as funny as Qatar hosting it!!!

Last edited by chibimatty; December 5th, 2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: ADDED EXTRA SARCASM AND SMUGNESS
chibimatty no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #52
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 195

Is it true Qatar knew they won at least 30 minutes before it was announced ?
I think FIFA have alot to answer for....they seem like a very corrupt group of men who are only interested in gifts, money & what they can scum off bidding countries....
My son thought FIFA stood for....******* Idiots ******* Arseholes....of course normally I wouldn't approve of such language...but I can make an exception in this case ...
MelboyPete no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #53
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
If Australia REALLY wanted it in 2026, it would protest against MBH's actions and move back to Oceania. Then it will have the right to truely claim it is taking the game to new lands

All not going to happen, but thats the only way it has a chance for many cups to come.

I would be happy to see Australia, US, England and other losing bids boycott any future hosting right processes, just to teach FIFA a lesson. There will always be others though that will put their hands up for it though, willing to buy themselves a cup, so the end result would likely be minimal.
The English FA has already said that there is no point in them bidding to host the World Cup until FIFA has been reformed - by which they mean until such time as Blatter and his cronies no longer rule the roost.

Since I don't see Blatter loosening his grip on power any time soon and since, even when he does go, he is likely to be replaced by someone equally as contemptible and unscrupulous, that probably means that it won't be worth England bidding again - at least, not in my lifetime.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #54
chibimatty

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelboyPete View Post
Is it true Qatar knew they won at least 30 minutes before it was announced ?
I think FIFA have alot to answer for....they seem like a very corrupt group of men who are only interested in gifts, money & what they can scum off bidding countries....
My son thought FIFA stood for....******* Idiots ******* Arseholes....of course normally I wouldn't approve of such language...but I can make an exception in this case ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
The English FA has already said that there is no point in them bidding to host the World Cup until FIFA has been reformed - by which they mean until such time as Blatter and his cronies no longer rule the roost.
Since I don't see Blatter loosening his grip on power any time soon and since, even when he does go, he is likely to be replaced by someone equally as contemptible and unscrupulous, that probably means that it won't be worth England bidding again - at least, not in my lifetime.
David Yallop – How They Stole the Game, London: Poetic Publishing, 1999 – pages 291-293

While there is no such thing as a sure thing, Qatar at 33/1 to host a World Cup could be the best long-odds bet you ever make. Preposterous? Idiotic?

I was recently going through some old boxes and I came across some of my older books. One in particular I remembered to be quite a good read was David Yallop’s How They Stole the Game.

“The book that the FIFA President tried to ban” is a tale of some unimaginable corruption at the highest levels in world football. My favourite was a Brazilian referee who paid $300,000 in back taxes. When asked how he had earned so much, he claimed to have earned over $1 million selling watermelons.

Yallop is a highly respected investigative journalist and author, and if even half of the claims – many of which he has confirmed from numerous sources – are true, then football is in a sad state indeed.

The book is particularly critical of former FIFA President Joao Havelange and his anointed successor, Sepp Blatter.

That Blatter used his power as General Secretary and didn’t declare his intention to run for the position as head honcho until four months out from the election particularly irked the author, who made some very interesting allegations against the Swiss.

“During the inaugural FIFA/Confederations Cup, a ten-day tournament that took place in Saudi Arabia in December 1997, the General Secretary of FIFA went missing for at least one of those days. Blatter left Riyadh for a secret visit to neighbouring Qatar.

“There he met in Doha the ruler of the country, Sheikh Hamad bin Khallifa Al-Thani. The Emir had seized power three years ago after deposing his father. Khallifa Al-Thani has a reputation as a moderniser, a man, anxious to open his country’s doors to Western investment. He has bought women into parliament and lifted press censorship.

“He has opened trade with Israel. This meeting with Blatter was not to discuss private innovations. The subject on the agenda was as old as man. Power and how to acquire it. The solution has been around for a while too. Buy it.

“I do not know what Blatter offered the Sheikh but I would not be surprised if there is a FIFA announcement in the near future that one of the many meaningless tournaments that the Havelange presidency gave birth to has been scheduled to be held in Qatar.”

He continues the allegations, noting how Blatter utilised the influence of President Chirac to aid his vote gathering before returning to the Qatari’s.

“The Emir also ordered his relations who control and run Qatar’s Football Association to do everything within their power to assist Blatter’s election.

“They began to pick up votes from both the African Confederation and from Asia. Qatar’s FIFA delegate, Mohammed Bin Hammam, who sits on the key FIFA Finance Committee, had an additional task.

“In the days leading up to the FIFA Congress Hammam functioned as procurer for Blatter. Positioning himself down in the lobby of the hotel, Hammam collared the delegates as they came and went. He extolled the virtues of Sepp Blatter. If he felt the delegates’ attention was wandering, Hammam talked of money. Allegedly he talked of offering $50,000 per vote.”

“How did they know Hammam could be trusted? Under the circumstances, an appropriate question. An undertaking was given that if Blatter was duly elected, courtesy of the Emir a plane would immediately leave Qatar with $1 million on board. The delegates were assured that they could then come to Hammam and collect their fifty thousand. The figure is not without significance. Between fifteen and twenty delegates were persuaded to exchange the white envelope containing their vote for another containing $50,000. If all of the Emir’s million dollars went in this manner, then the missing twenty votes from Johansson’s tally are accounted for.”

Blatter won the election and was voted in as a FIFA President, the vote count?

Blatter 111 – Johansson 90.

Yallop’s words, written in 1998 and published in ’99 have often been prophetic except for one aspect; FIFA are yet to announce a meaningless tournament in Qatar.

The gulf nation has hosted a few cups since the book was published, most notably the 2004 Gulf Cup of Nations, but nothing from FIFA.

And what of the Mohammed Bin Hammam that more-or-less assured Blatter’s election? The name will be familiar to many; he is now the AFC President who agreed to allow Australia to play their football as part of the Asian Federation – yes, one and the same.

Hammam now has a mighty big favour to call in and don’t think that just because it’s the World Cup it’s above corruption.

After all, how did Mexico manage to host two World Cup’s inside 16 years? Mexico’s own Rupert Murdoch, Emilo Azcárraga, allegedly befriended FIFA President Havelange and convinced him to confiscate the rights to World Cup 1986 and give them to Mexico, how much money changed hands is the only question that remains.

So Qatar, a country of 1.5 million which is hardly known for it’s footballing prowess and more for its vast oil reserves may have an ace up its sleeve which many have overlooked.

I for one wouldn’t be at all surprised to see World Cup 2022 being held in the stifling heat of Doha with Messer’s Blatter and Hammam bidding adieu to the football world, having achieved peace in the Middle East, at least on the pitch and all by FIFA’s motto; “For the game. For the world.”
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #55
Bolsilludo
Yo ♥ Europa & Cono Sur

Likes (Received): 4861

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
Argentina and Uruguay should host 2030 FIFA World Cup, in the year of 100-anniversary of the first WC in Uruguay and 200-anniversary of the Uruguay's independence.
A small correction. In 2030 Uruguay will be celebrating the 200th anniversary of its first constitution. The independence of Uruguay was in 1825.

CONO SUR
CHILE - ARGENTINA - URUGUAY
Bolsilludo no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #56
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibimatty View Post
David Yallop – How They Stole the Game, London: Poetic Publishing, 1999 – pages 291-293

While there is no such thing as a sure thing, Qatar at 33/1 to host a World Cup could be the best long-odds bet you ever make. Preposterous? Idiotic?

I was recently going through some old boxes and I came across some of my older books. One in particular I remembered to be quite a good read was David Yallop’s How They Stole the Game.

“The book that the FIFA President tried to ban” is a tale of some unimaginable corruption at the highest levels in world football. My favourite was a Brazilian referee who paid $300,000 in back taxes. When asked how he had earned so much, he claimed to have earned over $1 million selling watermelons.

Yallop is a highly respected investigative journalist and author, and if even half of the claims – many of which he has confirmed from numerous sources – are true, then football is in a sad state indeed.

The book is particularly critical of former FIFA President Joao Havelange and his anointed successor, Sepp Blatter.

That Blatter used his power as General Secretary and didn’t declare his intention to run for the position as head honcho until four months out from the election particularly irked the author, who made some very interesting allegations against the Swiss.

“During the inaugural FIFA/Confederations Cup, a ten-day tournament that took place in Saudi Arabia in December 1997, the General Secretary of FIFA went missing for at least one of those days. Blatter left Riyadh for a secret visit to neighbouring Qatar.

“There he met in Doha the ruler of the country, Sheikh Hamad bin Khallifa Al-Thani. The Emir had seized power three years ago after deposing his father. Khallifa Al-Thani has a reputation as a moderniser, a man, anxious to open his country’s doors to Western investment. He has bought women into parliament and lifted press censorship.

“He has opened trade with Israel. This meeting with Blatter was not to discuss private innovations. The subject on the agenda was as old as man. Power and how to acquire it. The solution has been around for a while too. Buy it.

“I do not know what Blatter offered the Sheikh but I would not be surprised if there is a FIFA announcement in the near future that one of the many meaningless tournaments that the Havelange presidency gave birth to has been scheduled to be held in Qatar.”

He continues the allegations, noting how Blatter utilised the influence of President Chirac to aid his vote gathering before returning to the Qatari’s.

“The Emir also ordered his relations who control and run Qatar’s Football Association to do everything within their power to assist Blatter’s election.

“They began to pick up votes from both the African Confederation and from Asia. Qatar’s FIFA delegate, Mohammed Bin Hammam, who sits on the key FIFA Finance Committee, had an additional task.

“In the days leading up to the FIFA Congress Hammam functioned as procurer for Blatter. Positioning himself down in the lobby of the hotel, Hammam collared the delegates as they came and went. He extolled the virtues of Sepp Blatter. If he felt the delegates’ attention was wandering, Hammam talked of money. Allegedly he talked of offering $50,000 per vote.”

“How did they know Hammam could be trusted? Under the circumstances, an appropriate question. An undertaking was given that if Blatter was duly elected, courtesy of the Emir a plane would immediately leave Qatar with $1 million on board. The delegates were assured that they could then come to Hammam and collect their fifty thousand. The figure is not without significance. Between fifteen and twenty delegates were persuaded to exchange the white envelope containing their vote for another containing $50,000. If all of the Emir’s million dollars went in this manner, then the missing twenty votes from Johansson’s tally are accounted for.”

Blatter won the election and was voted in as a FIFA President, the vote count?

Blatter 111 – Johansson 90.

Yallop’s words, written in 1998 and published in ’99 have often been prophetic except for one aspect; FIFA are yet to announce a meaningless tournament in Qatar.

The gulf nation has hosted a few cups since the book was published, most notably the 2004 Gulf Cup of Nations, but nothing from FIFA.

And what of the Mohammed Bin Hammam that more-or-less assured Blatter’s election? The name will be familiar to many; he is now the AFC President who agreed to allow Australia to play their football as part of the Asian Federation – yes, one and the same.

Hammam now has a mighty big favour to call in and don’t think that just because it’s the World Cup it’s above corruption.

After all, how did Mexico manage to host two World Cup’s inside 16 years? Mexico’s own Rupert Murdoch, Emilo Azcárraga, allegedly befriended FIFA President Havelange and convinced him to confiscate the rights to World Cup 1986 and give them to Mexico, how much money changed hands is the only question that remains.

So Qatar, a country of 1.5 million which is hardly known for it’s footballing prowess and more for its vast oil reserves may have an ace up its sleeve which many have overlooked.

I for one wouldn’t be at all surprised to see World Cup 2022 being held in the stifling heat of Doha with Messer’s Blatter and Hammam bidding adieu to the football world, having achieved peace in the Middle East, at least on the pitch and all by FIFA’s motto; “For the game. For the world.”
Wow.

Just wow.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #57
Bolsilludo
Yo ♥ Europa & Cono Sur

Likes (Received): 4861

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibetogdl View Post
mexico, the first country to organize 3 world cups, i even have the cities

mexico city
guadalajara
monterrey
puebla
leon
queretaro
pachuca
morelia
torreon
tijuana
toluca
cancun
aguascalientes
san luis potosi

we will win 4 sure but we have to wait 10 years, i mean if qatar can make a world cup why we can organize it for hte third time? we deserve it, the best world cups were played in mexico
I don't think Mexico will be choosen for 2022. It has been already host of two World Cups. A third one will be unlikely. USA has more chances for 2026.

CONO SUR
CHILE - ARGENTINA - URUGUAY
Bolsilludo no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #58
MeMumbaikar

Likes (Received): 4282

the Vatican for the win!!!!!
MeMumbaikar no está en línea  
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #59
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Wow.

Just wow.
I wouldn't doubt it. Heck just reading that article and thinking about the whole thing again, I'm becoming more and more approachable to the idea of boycotting FIFA with other nations.
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #60
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

San Marino for 2026!
Archbishop no está en línea  

Closed Thread