daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 16th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #1981
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

After reading through that blog post, I am wondering what kind of technology-transfer agreement Kawasaki would put in place? I mean, we are looking at this whole process kind of expecting that GE would enter into a tech transfer with whoever supplies the CAHSR equipment to get on the fast track to developing their own stuff, but the deal Japan made with Taiwan mitigated against such sharing, in contravention of the wide-scale tech sharing we see in the current industry.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #1982
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
“We’ll put up half the money for California HSR” says Japan’s Ambassador to the United States

http://www.cahsrblog.com/2011/01/%E2...united-states/
That's definitely a serious commitment, if they can follow through then CAHSR's chance of getting built just got bigger. So now we are pretty much down to Japan and China, both with virtually unlimited amount of money paying for a significant portion of the project, I sure hope the board at the Authority don't eff this opportunity up.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #1983
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
After reading through that blog post, I am wondering what kind of technology-transfer agreement Kawasaki would put in place? I mean, we are looking at this whole process kind of expecting that GE would enter into a tech transfer with whoever supplies the CAHSR equipment to get on the fast track to developing their own stuff, but the deal Japan made with Taiwan mitigated against such sharing, in contravention of the wide-scale tech sharing we see in the current industry.
I agree that's an unknown, but my gut feeling is that if the pie is big enough then they will agree to tech transfer. I don't think any US company will be competing in the HSR market around the world any time soon so the Japanese shouldn't worry about creating a potential competitor. On the other hand, even if they refuse to transfer technology, they can still build a plant here to perform the assembly, which will generate the same amount of jobs as a tech transfer deal. The CSR-GE bid almost guarantee tech transfer, but like Mr Ambassador pointed out there is a national security implication.
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1984
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

Kawasaki already builds the majority of it's cars for the USA market at it's Yonkers plant. Besides. GE is going with China. That only leaves EMD as the other major locomotive builder in the USA.

With how the job market is and with how much Japan is willing to invest. I could see major work on the rolling stock being done in Japan with final assembly done at a new plant in USA.
Old January 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #1985
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
One possible reason for no provision for tech sharing is that Taiwan doesn't have much of a domestic rolling stock industry in the first place. It seems its only (?) domestic manufacturer, Taiwan Rolling Stock Corp is a joint venture between Japan's Nippon Sharyo, Sumitomo, and Taiwanese (or mainland China?) steel producers.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #1986
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfword View Post
Kawasaki already builds the majority of it's cars for the USA market at it's Yonkers plant. Besides. GE is going with China. That only leaves EMD as the other major locomotive builder in the USA.

With how the job market is and with how much Japan is willing to invest. I could see major work on the rolling stock being done in Japan with final assembly done at a new plant in USA.
It also has expanded considerably the production floor space of its Lincoln, NE plant- I think they even moved out the ATV (or was it the lawn mower??) production line to some other location. A far as domestic content/setup of trainsets, I think the initial orders will be done in Japan, maybe with final ("screwdriver") assembly done in Yonkers or Lincoln, then more and more production done domestically as things ramp up. One thing to keep in mind is many of the components that go into a railcar are produced by outside vendors (electricals, bogies, glass, brakes, etc)- domestic content depends on the existence of capable firms stateside.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1987
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

They do 3rd Rail cars in Yonkers , Catenary and other stuff is done in Nebraska....but i wonder why the plant is out there and not closer to the NE or West.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #1988
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
They do 3rd Rail cars in Yonkers , Catenary and other stuff is done in Nebraska....but i wonder why the plant is out there and not closer to the NE or West.
Lower taxes, more business-friendly climate, less unions... Transporting a railway car by rail or even by truck costs pennies compared to what savings can be achieved by manufacturing it elsewhere.
Old January 16th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #1989
Rapter
Advanced

Likes (Received): 26

It would be so cool to see something like Velaro D travelling between LA and SF
Rapter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #1990
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapter View Post
I agree, it's the most beautiful HSR train out there

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #1991
hmmwv

I personally like the Zefiro better
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #1992
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapter View Post
Do Siemens still have a factory in Sacramento? If they do, the Velaro would be a serious contender.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #1993
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
Do Siemens still have a factory in Sacramento? If they do, the Velaro would be a serious contender.
If Japan or China ends up fronting the bulk of the money. I'm pretty sure rolling stock will come from one of them.
Old January 19th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #1994
hmmwv

Well a CRH380B can be passed on as a Velaro for folks who prefer its shape, unfortunately CNR is not bidding for CAHSR, so it's safe to say we'll never see a Velaro or Velaro-like rolling stock running through Cali.
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #1995
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Contrariwise, it is a very good bet that we will see EMU equipment running in California, because motor-hauled HSR is now going obsolete, with the last major production model being Rotem's KTX-II (2009; the previous one was AnsaldoBreda's c. 2000 ETR 500s). These all owe a debt to the technological pioneer--the Siemens Velaro (now a decade-old technology).
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #1996
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Ugh, Japanese HSR trains are ugggggggggggly.

Personally I hope they order Korean-made HS trains. Its time we start exporting them and establishing our rail industry world wide. We already are exporting commuter rail trains to Philadelphia's SEPTA and LA's Metrolink.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #1997
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
Ugh, Japanese HSR trains are ugggggggggggly.

Personally I hope they order Korean-made HS trains. Its time we start exporting them and establishing our rail industry world wide. We already are exporting commuter rail trains to Philadelphia's SEPTA and LA's Metrolink.
Why i think there pretty cool , there massive though.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #1998
pietje01

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Contrariwise, it is a very good bet that we will see EMU equipment running in California, because motor-hauled HSR is now going obsolete, with the last major production model being Rotem's KTX-II (2009; the previous one was AnsaldoBreda's c. 2000 ETR 500s). These all owe a debt to the technological pioneer--the Siemens Velaro (now a decade-old technology).
I thought that in Japan they use HST-EMU's since before 1999
pietje01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #1999
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietje01 View Post
I thought that in Japan they use HST-EMU's since before 1999
The shinkansen has used EMU's since the start of the line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_Series_Shinkansen
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #2000
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
The ETR500 (AnsaldoBreda/Bombardia/Alstom consortium) first entered service in 1992, so it wasn't the penultimate loco-hauled high speed train.

Eurostar (France/UK/Belgium) was 1994
The TGV Duplex was 1995
Korean KTX-1 was 1997.
Talgo AVE S102 was 2005.

Unless I've missed any out that makes the ETR500 the 6th most recent loco HSR train.

And I agree with the previous posters Siemens was not the pioneer of high speed EMUs.

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states