daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 20th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #2001
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Don't forget the Thalys PBKA sets built between 1995 and 1998. EMU's are most likely indeed now that even Alstom builds emu's.
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:20 AM   #2002
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Thanks yes it slipped my mind.
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #2003
luci203

Likes (Received): 1203

So is safe to say that NONE of the "green" lines will be operational by 2015?
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #2004
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
So is safe to say that NONE of the "green" lines will be operational by 2015?
Some small portions will probably be ready in 2015:
* Orlando - Tampa
* One piece of the californian line
* Saint Louis - Chicago

More details here:

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-election-day/

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #2005
ruffaramboo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

^can you give us a clear construction status
ruffaramboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #2006
luci203

did they move 1 stone?
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:14 AM   #2007
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
did they move 1 stone?
No.

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:40 PM   #2008
luci203

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
No.
Nice...

50% of internal flights are 300-600 miles (perfect distance for high speed trains)

Is easy to see why they don't want to build HSL to "mess up" the market.

Another crushing victory for big oil and airline companies lobby.
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:11 PM   #2009
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
Some small portions will probably be ready in 2015:
* Orlando - Tampa
* One piece of the californian line
* Saint Louis - Chicago

More details here:

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-election-day/
Agreed, for one, Eugene-Portland-Seattle line probably won't be built until 2030.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:33 PM   #2010
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Canadian should chip in and extend the line to Vancouver. Easier transportation between Seattle and Vancouver means more money coming in to Vanoucer from Seattle and Portland. Because more people will visit Vancouver.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:51 PM   #2011
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Agreed. I live in Seattle and I would use high speed rail to Vancouver or Portland more often for sure. I use Amtrak to go to Portland sometime.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:22 AM   #2012
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Agreed. I live in Seattle and I would use high speed rail to Vancouver or Portland more often for sure. I use Amtrak to go to Portland sometime.
Most definitely, I'm tired of the traffic jams on I5, but the constant landslides along the current Amtrak line is a potential problem for the future HSR line. Right now they can't even keep a decent service record on the Sounder commuter train during winter months.
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:42 AM   #2013
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

That map wasn't even close to be realistic , mostly a pipe dream...

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #2014
hmmwv

Obama to call for $53B for high-speed rail
(AP) – 2 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is calling for a six-year, $53 billion spending plan for high-speed rail, as he seeks to use infrastructure spending to jumpstart job creation.
An initial $8 billion in spending will be part of the budget plan Obama is set to release Monday. If Congress approves the plan, the money would go toward developing or improving trains that travel up to 250 miles per hour, and connecting existing rail lines to new projects. The White House wouldn't say where the money for the rest of the program would come from, though it's likely Obama would seek funding in future budgets or transportation bills.
Obama's push for high-speed rail spending is part of his broad goal of creating jobs in the short-term and increasing American competitiveness for the future through new spending on infrastructure, education and innovation. During last month's State of the Union address, Obama said he wanted to give 80 percent of Americans access to high-speed rail within 25 years.
At the same time he's calling for new spending on sectors like high-speed rail in the upcoming budget, Obama also has pledged to cut overall spending as he seeks to bring down the nation's mounting deficit. The White House has said environmental programs for the Great Lakes, and block grants for community service and community development are among the programs that will face cuts.
But it's unlikely the cuts Obama proposes in the budget will be enough to appease the GOP. Republicans now controlling the House have promised to slash domestic agencies' budgets by nearly 20 percent for the coming year.
The White House has said cuts must be cautious, arguing that drastic reductions in spending could cause the still-fragile economic recovery to stall. Vice President Joe Biden said Tuesday the administration wouldn't compromise when it comes to spending on the infrastructure, education and innovation programs Obama is touting.
"We cannot compromise. The rest of the world is not compromising," Biden said in Philadelphia at an event announcing the high-speed rail initiative.
Obama's call for increased spending on high-speed rail projects is nothing new. He's long seen the sector as an area of opportunity for creating jobs and improving the nation's transportation system. His administration awarded $10 billion in federal grants for high-speed rail projects last year, including $2.3 billion for California to begin work on an 800-mile-long, high-speed rail line tying Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay area to Los Angeles and San Diego; and $1.25 billion to Florida to build a rail line connecting Tampa on the West Coast with Orlando in the middle of the state, eventually going south to Miami.
Some Republicans have been critical of Obama's plans to expand high-speed rail across the country. House Transportation Committee Chairman John Mica, R-Fla., has urged the administration to focus its spending on the crowded Northeast rail corridor.
"Rather than focusing on the Northeast corridor, the most congested corridor in the nation and the only corridor owned by the federal government, the administration continues to squander limited taxpayer dollars on marginal projects," Mica said Tuesday in a statement.
Amtrak already operates Acela service between Boston and Washington that briefly reaches speeds over 110 mph — generally considered the threshold for high speed — but the trains are forced to travel slower most of the time because they make frequent stops and because they share tracks with slower freight trains.
Last summer, Obama laid out a plan to invest $50 billion in highways, bridges, transit, high-speed rail and airports, adding it to the first year of a six-year transportation bill. Congress didn't act on the proposal before adjourning last year, but LaHood has said he hopes to have a bill on Obama's desk by August.
Associated Press Writer Joan Lowy contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #2015
hmmwv

Obama to call for $53B for high-speed rail
(AP) – 2 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is calling for a six-year, $53 billion spending plan for high-speed rail, as he seeks to use infrastructure spending to jumpstart job creation.
An initial $8 billion in spending will be part of the budget plan Obama is set to release Monday. If Congress approves the plan, the money would go toward developing or improving trains that travel up to 250 miles per hour, and connecting existing rail lines to new projects. The White House wouldn't say where the money for the rest of the program would come from, though it's likely Obama would seek funding in future budgets or transportation bills.
Obama's push for high-speed rail spending is part of his broad goal of creating jobs in the short-term and increasing American competitiveness for the future through new spending on infrastructure, education and innovation. During last month's State of the Union address, Obama said he wanted to give 80 percent of Americans access to high-speed rail within 25 years.
At the same time he's calling for new spending on sectors like high-speed rail in the upcoming budget, Obama also has pledged to cut overall spending as he seeks to bring down the nation's mounting deficit. The White House has said environmental programs for the Great Lakes, and block grants for community service and community development are among the programs that will face cuts.
But it's unlikely the cuts Obama proposes in the budget will be enough to appease the GOP. Republicans now controlling the House have promised to slash domestic agencies' budgets by nearly 20 percent for the coming year.
The White House has said cuts must be cautious, arguing that drastic reductions in spending could cause the still-fragile economic recovery to stall. Vice President Joe Biden said Tuesday the administration wouldn't compromise when it comes to spending on the infrastructure, education and innovation programs Obama is touting.
"We cannot compromise. The rest of the world is not compromising," Biden said in Philadelphia at an event announcing the high-speed rail initiative.
Obama's call for increased spending on high-speed rail projects is nothing new. He's long seen the sector as an area of opportunity for creating jobs and improving the nation's transportation system. His administration awarded $10 billion in federal grants for high-speed rail projects last year, including $2.3 billion for California to begin work on an 800-mile-long, high-speed rail line tying Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay area to Los Angeles and San Diego; and $1.25 billion to Florida to build a rail line connecting Tampa on the West Coast with Orlando in the middle of the state, eventually going south to Miami.
Some Republicans have been critical of Obama's plans to expand high-speed rail across the country. House Transportation Committee Chairman John Mica, R-Fla., has urged the administration to focus its spending on the crowded Northeast rail corridor.
"Rather than focusing on the Northeast corridor, the most congested corridor in the nation and the only corridor owned by the federal government, the administration continues to squander limited taxpayer dollars on marginal projects," Mica said Tuesday in a statement.
Amtrak already operates Acela service between Boston and Washington that briefly reaches speeds over 110 mph — generally considered the threshold for high speed — but the trains are forced to travel slower most of the time because they make frequent stops and because they share tracks with slower freight trains.
Last summer, Obama laid out a plan to invest $50 billion in highways, bridges, transit, high-speed rail and airports, adding it to the first year of a six-year transportation bill. Congress didn't act on the proposal before adjourning last year, but LaHood has said he hopes to have a bill on Obama's desk by August.
Associated Press Writer Joan Lowy contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #2016
Zero Gravity

Likes (Received): 17

******* cut 200 billion of the budget for the DoD, give 2 billion more to foreign aid to pakistan and the like, draw out of afghanistan and iraq = half the fiscal problem solved.

Seriously, don't comment on that, it's just what immediately pops into my mind and i know this isn't the place to discuss this, however i wondered if any of you were aware of a serious forum (like skyscrapercity is) where you can discuss political matters like this one. I know there are a bunch from either side, but i want a neutral board where people don't argue according to ideology but rather listen to who has the better arguments and can support them with profound facts.

anyways, back on topic. let's just hope cali hsr happens. Maybe this could spark a sort of revolution transportwise, away from heavily individual traffic to a balanced system.
Zero Gravity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #2017
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

If HSR is build as a replacement for short-haul air transport, it's got good chances in US. If it is build an "enhanced" existing railways with 90mph "high" speeds focused on commuting routes, it will fail big time.

Yet, I guess economically speaking expanding interstates would me more sound policy, but once a decision is made to invest in rail, is best to have 300mi of top-notch sensible high-speed routes of 200mph than 600km of a patchwork of upgraded routes full of restrictions, bends and intermediate stations.
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #2018
TheKorean
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Gravity View Post
******* cut 200 billion of the budget for the DoD, give 2 billion more to foreign aid to pakistan and the like, draw out of afghanistan and iraq = half the fiscal problem solved.

Seriously, don't comment on that, it's just what immediately pops into my mind and i know this isn't the place to discuss this, however i wondered if any of you were aware of a serious forum (like skyscrapercity is) where you can discuss political matters like this one. I know there are a bunch from either side, but i want a neutral board where people don't argue according to ideology but rather listen to who has the better arguments and can support them with profound facts.

anyways, back on topic. let's just hope cali hsr happens. Maybe this could spark a sort of revolution transportwise, away from heavily individual traffic to a balanced system.
Cutting any more money from defense is idiotic and insane at this point. Our military need more support to handle all the responsibilities they have. Fighting terrorism and keeping the Chinese in check aint cheap.
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #2019
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
Cutting any more money from defense is idiotic and insane at this point. Our military need more support to handle all the responsibilities they have. Fighting terrorism and keeping the Chinese in check aint cheap.
Fighting 2 Wars that we don't need and are bogus... I want my tax $$$ to be spent in my country not over seas...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #2020
TheKorean
BANNED

We dont need wars, they are inevitable.

We have no choice.

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states