daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 12th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #2041
CoCoMilk

Likes (Received): 1131

/facepalm I think it's a matter of your own Korean Nationalism, not whats good for America.

Good thing majority of us don't think like you!
CoCoMilk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #2042
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

I think majority of people think of China as dangerous. Why shouldnt they be considered a threat?
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #2043
CoCoMilk

Likes (Received): 1131

They are important to us, but i wouldn't really called them a threat. "Competitor" is a better term. Anyways, I'm not saying we have to take China off of our radar but be more competitive and cautious with them. Also, spending even more money on military is just...unreasonable.

Um....on to the topic now?
CoCoMilk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #2044
TheKorean
BANNED

You are right, we shouldnt be pouring unreasonable amount of money on our military, but US is in a much different situation compared to other countries.

So yea, back to the topic.
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #2045
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Who in this world is not ambitious and want more power and money (other than slackers, which unfortunately there are too many this side of the pond)? From what I see Koreans have an even greater zeal to succeed than Chinese people do.

And besides, the Chinese government is a complete amateur when it comes to making others bend to their will. Guess who runs away with the gold medal? As for Arabs, perhaps it's the constant sponsorship of pro-western dictators which is causing resentment. Thankfully they have shown the peaceful way to change.

At least you're not advocating a North Korean-style military/personality cult dictatorship to "defend the homeland". That would be scary.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #2046
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
I think majority of people think of China as dangerous. Why shouldnt they be considered a threat?
You can see from this poll that in Spring 2010, China was generally seen in a favourable light by the US (amongst others)

===

From the poll below, you can also see that everyone in the US wants a better relationship with China - partly because they are are really annoyed on trade and economic matters.

===

The full article is below
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/pol..._shift_in.html
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #2047
Restless

Chinese people generally have a favourable view of the Americans.
Also, the profile looks similar to those from Germans or Mexicans.

Old February 12th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #2048
TheKorean
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Who in this world is not ambitious and want more power and money (other than slackers, which unfortunately there are too many this side of the pond)? From what I see Koreans have an even greater zeal to succeed than Chinese people do.

And besides, the Chinese government is a complete amateur when it comes to making others bend to their will. Guess who runs away with the gold medal? As for Arabs, perhaps it's the constant sponsorship of pro-western dictators which is causing resentment. Thankfully they have shown the peaceful way to change.

At least you're not advocating a North Korean-style military/personality cult dictatorship to "defend the homeland". That would be scary.
I am pro-Democracy sir, which is why I am against China.

Better relations with the Chinese is impossible.
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #2049
Restless

Quote:
I am pro-Democracy sir, which is why I am against China.

Better relations with the Chinese is impossible.
Democracy is just a means to an end, and there are many examples where it hasn't worked. What matters more is whether the current system delivers prosperity for its people.

I'm fairly sure that China will move to some sort of representative system within 20years as the people will have become much richer and more educated.

===

You do realise that the alternative to better relations is a real cold war and arms race? But that this time around, the Chinese economy would be larger than the USAs - around the year 2020.

This is what drives the thinking behind Obama's actions.
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #2050
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Seriously, can we please focus on high speed rail? This whole China thing is nothing related with high speed rail.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #2051
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Seriously, can we please focus on high speed rail? This whole China thing is nothing related with high speed rail.
Agreed , ive had enough of these stupid derailment fights....sheesh grow up people....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #2052
TheKorean
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Democracy is just a means to an end, and there are many examples where it hasn't worked. What matters more is whether the current system delivers prosperity for its people.

I'm fairly sure that China will move to some sort of representative system within 20years as the people will have become much richer and more educated.
Pfft yea ok.
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #2053
TheKorean
BANNED

I think that 53 billion or so Obama promised to spend on rail should be poured on NE Corridor for a much improved Acela. Show America what a true high speed rail can provide. A very nice alternative to being stuck in the airport.
Old February 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #2054
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
I think that 53 billion or so Obama promised to spend on rail should be poured on NE Corridor for a much improved Acela. Show America what a true high speed rail can provide. A very nice alternative to being stuck in the airport.
I think majority to NEC and some to Cali. These are the places where a true HSR will definitely succeed. Also the govts in these areas are more or less friendly to public investments in rail
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #2055
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Indian View Post
I think majority to NEC and some to Cali. These are the places where a true HSR will definitely succeed. Also the govts in these areas are more or less friendly to public investments in rail
Perhaps, but the NEC encompasses nine state-level governments, and you'll need all of them to support real high speed rail for the project to succeed. Just look at the refusal of the New Jersey governor to approve a second rail tunnel to Manhattan for proof of political bottlenecks. Then the Members of Congress along the route will demand improvements to local transit in their districts in exchange for support. Either the political conditions have to be perfect or the project doesn't happen.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #2056
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Perhaps, but the NEC encompasses nine state-level governments, and you'll need all of them to support real high speed rail for the project to succeed. Just look at the refusal of the New Jersey governor to approve a second rail tunnel to Manhattan for proof of political bottlenecks. Then the Members of Congress along the route will demand improvements to local transit in their districts in exchange for support. Either the political conditions have to be perfect or the project doesn't happen.
Hes thrilled with the New plan which makes more sense then the old plan.....there isn't opposition form the other governors its mostly support like in RI , CT , MA and MD... NY is upgrading the Empire line , and NJ has 1 intercity line UC....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #2057
TheKorean
BANNED

I think the best way to improve our rail system is to upgrade Acela and show how clean, efficient, and convenient rail traveling is.

Imagine Acela going at 200mph, it would take 3 hours or even less between Boston and DC.
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #2058
Cirdan

Likes (Received): 0

Both the California HSR route and the NEC have a big drawback: cost. Between SF and LA, half of the route is either in urban areas (expensive row aquisition and elevated structures or tunnels) or through mountains (tunnels and bridges), the NEC is through urban areas pretty much all the way. Plus, building a new NEC route capable of 200 mph + over most of the way will take decades.

The Tampa-Orlando route on the other hand will mostly be built in the middle of a freeway, which means the ROW is already owned, grade seperation is already in place, the only expensive structures will be required around stations and possibly in Orlando. Which means that the whole thing can be built for a fraction of the cost of the Cal and NEC routes. Under ridership aspects, Florida is far from ideal for HSR, but it can be built quickly and cheaply, with the Orlando ITL-Disney World connection, I believe we can expect them to at least cover operating cost, which should be a good argument to continue to throw money at the more viable California and NEC projects.

Victorville-Las Vegas is another quick&cheap connection, though I'm kind of unsure if their business model can work. But then, they want to build that one with private money anyway.

For other possible routes I'm a bit unsure... it would certainly be best to finish something first, to make sure that something actually gets finished and not aborted half-way for lack of funding, but then, I kind of feel it's unfair to concentrate federate money on just a few projects and deny other viable routes funding.
Cirdan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #2059
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

I this the US need to focus on 'parkway' stations. aka park and ride. Most of the cities have pretty big highway networks and big roads which I think puts off a lot of people walking. So driving to a station, leaving your car there and then hoping on a train would be much better.

Also having stations on the edge of a city which a metro/metro bus service into the centre would be a good idea.

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #2060
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
I think the best way to improve our rail system is to upgrade Acela and show how clean, efficient, and convenient rail traveling is.

Imagine Acela going at 200mph, it would take 3 hours or even less between Boston and DC.
The problem with the Acela is that northeast of NYC, the NEC mainline that it uses hugs the coastline with unbelievable amounts of tight curvature, especially in Connecticut, that its current speed is as fast as it physically can go.

To make it go any faster will require constructing a completely new grade though some of most expensive and NIMBY-infested real estate on the planet. Think: $100G+ minimum.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states