daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #2441
Gag Halfrunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 719
Likes (Received): 27

But AVIC probably only have the rights to sell Transrapid systems in China, not for export.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #2442
hammersklavier
Feral
 
hammersklavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 597
Likes (Received): 423

I suggested this on the SSP thread on the subject, but the gist of the idea--why not sell the Interstates to create a fund for rail development (with the angle being sold to Republicans the eventual sale of said development)? It does require thinking of infrastructure development as a salable good instead of a socialized common, which (ironically enough) is how Interstates are thought of here--even if those in charge are too dimwitted to realize it--but in my mind toying with ideologies to get something done is far preferable to ideological bickering and getting nothing done.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 02:57 AM   #2443
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,446
Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I suggested this on the SSP thread on the subject, but the gist of the idea--why not sell the Interstates to create a fund for rail development (with the angle being sold to Republicans the eventual sale of said development)? It does require thinking of infrastructure development as a salable good instead of a socialized common, which (ironically enough) is how Interstates are thought of here--even if those in charge are too dimwitted to realize it--but in my mind toying with ideologies to get something done is far preferable to ideological bickering and getting nothing done.
Terrible idea. Infrastructure is a socialized common built for the benefit of the people with public funds.

The public would rebel at this notion and rightfully so. Money is there for HSR, all ot takes is less binge spending on the military and higher tax rates on the rich.

Just because Republicans are batshit insane, selfish, greedy *******s is no reason to promote bad ideas like even more sprawling land development and privatization of infrastructure that the public paid trillions to construct.
__________________
R.I.P. Moke- my best bud
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:18 PM   #2444
FlyFish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 352
Likes (Received): 83

This batsh$t insane greedy selfish a$$hole agrees it's a bad idea, but for a different reason. You sell or lease interstates to private corporations to operate interstates more efficiently than the Gov't can, not to pay for something else.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:24 PM   #2445
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate
 
manrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Urban New England
Posts: 4,150
Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
This batsh$t insane greedy selfish a$$hole agrees it's a bad idea, but for a different reason. You sell or lease interstates to private corporations to operate interstates more efficiently than the Gov't can, not to pay for something else.
Private corportations operating interstates more efficiently than the government?

What a load of hooey.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:42 PM   #2446
FlyFish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 352
Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Private corportations operating interstates more efficiently than the government?

What a load of hooey.
Many states are looking to lease interstates, bridges and other turnpike style roads for that exact reason. For profit entities can take toll money, pay lease payments to the state and still keep those roads running. It's happening.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:18 PM   #2447
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,529
Likes (Received): 21231

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Many states are looking to lease interstates, bridges and other turnpike style roads for that exact reason. For profit entities can take toll money, pay lease payments to the state and still keep those roads running. It's happening.
Leases usually come on temporary forms (20-40 years) and, since the late 1990s, some key provisions that had made them more attractive were struck down in Federal Courts. Among them, provisions for "non-competing agreements" in which states vowed not to construct other highways that could divert traffic from the leased ones.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM   #2448
hmmwv
Registered User
 
hmmwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,391
Likes (Received): 420

Private funds will flock to lease interstates because there is a stable demand and the initial investment is minimum, the same can't be said about HSR. However off loading the interstate may be able to save some public funds and other resources to devote to HSR. Either way the political hurdle will be difficult to overcome in the short term.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:58 PM   #2449
cuartango
A orillas del Arlanzón
 
cuartango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Burgos
Posts: 15,920
Likes (Received): 2095

¿Can anyone summarize the current state of the projects regarding HSLs in the US?

¿Has any line been approved yet? ¿is any line under construction?
__________________
Burgos: Cabeza de Castilla, Tierras del Cid
-------------------------------------------- Caput Castellae --------------------------------------------
cuartango no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:03 PM   #2450
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,529
Likes (Received): 21231

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Private funds will flock to lease interstates because there is a stable demand and the initial investment is minimum, the same can't be said about HSR. However off loading the interstate may be able to save some public funds and other resources to devote to HSR. Either way the political hurdle will be difficult to overcome in the short term.
Tolling the Interstates would mean almost but eliminating gas taxes. If people were to pay for tolls for road maintenance, the case for the federal part of gas taxes would be moot.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:27 PM   #2451
mattec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 818
Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Private corportations operating interstates more efficiently than the government?

What a load of hooey.
you need to take an economics course....
__________________
"Football is a violent game played by violent people, so put a smile on your face, murder in your heart and lets go kick these f***kers in the mouth" - D. Bumpas, TCU Defensive Coordinator
mattec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:55 PM   #2452
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Tolling the Interstates would mean almost but eliminating gas taxes. If people were to pay for tolls for road maintenance, the case for the federal part of gas taxes would be moot.
We would keep the gas tax for Road and Rail upkeep and Expansions...
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:24 PM   #2453
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,529
Likes (Received): 21231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
We would keep the gas tax for Road and Rail upkeep and Expansions...
Tell your beloved New Jersey governor that
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #2454
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Tell your beloved New Jersey governor that
Hes in Deep trouble.....we still have a 5 Rail Expansions underway and he killed a projected that became terrible and overloaded. Hes dumped at least 800 Million into Private businesses and has lied about everything.....
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; May 4th, 2011 at 08:49 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #2455
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,446
Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
you need to take an economics course....
You need to learn from reality. Privatization of public services is a mixed bag AT BEST. How many cancelled contracts between the state and the private group it contracted out its welfare services to do there have to be for you to realize this?

One fundamental truth about leasing ANY piece of public infrastructure- the private sector has to generate a profit, so that means higher costs to the citizen (in tolls, fees, etc.), shoddy maintenance, and the government getting lowballed on the funds it receives for parting with said infrastructure.
__________________
R.I.P. Moke- my best bud
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #2456
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,446
Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Private funds will flock to lease interstates because there is a stable demand and the initial investment is minimum, the same can't be said about HSR. However off loading the interstate may be able to save some public funds and other resources to devote to HSR. Either way the political hurdle will be difficult to overcome in the short term.
The public will revolt at having to pay tolls on what were free roads and rightfully so. No one will support paying tolls to a private entity to pay for dividends and CEO bonuses.
__________________
R.I.P. Moke- my best bud
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #2457
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,446
Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Private funds will flock to lease interstates because there is a stable demand and the initial investment is minimum, the same can't be said about HSR.
Tell that to all of the private firms that wanted to run the Florida HSL from Orlando to Tampa, or all of the HSR operators from around the world that have shown tremendous interest in the U.S. market for fast trains.

That "stable demand" in interstate highways was only brought about by billions in government spending to not only build those highways but the interchanges, bridges and connecting roads.
__________________
R.I.P. Moke- my best bud
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #2458
TampaMike
Oh Hey!
 
TampaMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,060
Likes (Received): 966

Mexico leased out their highways to private companies from 1987 to 1994 and proved very well that it wasn't a good idea. You want to pay $10-$20 for each toll while driving down the highway for work or during vacation?

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/23/wo...y-failure.html
__________________
Corporations Are People Too - Mitt Romney
For the People that dress up like Corporations.
TampaMike está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #2459
hmmwv
Registered User
 
hmmwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,391
Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
Mexico leased out their highways to private companies from 1987 to 1994 and proved very well that it wasn't a good idea. You want to pay $10-$20 for each toll while driving down the highway for work or during vacation?

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/23/wo...y-failure.html
Only a small portion of Chinese expressways are financed by the government, and they are run like private corporations, therefore it's almost impossible to find highways that doesn't charge toll in the country, yet that doesn't seem to have stopped construction of usage of the roads.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #2460
TampaMike
Oh Hey!
 
TampaMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,060
Likes (Received): 966

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Only a small portion of Chinese expressways are financed by the government, and they are run like private corporations, therefore it's almost impossible to find highways that doesn't charge toll in the country, yet that doesn't seem to have stopped construction of usage of the roads.
http://mikekleinonline.com/2011/04/2...uild-highways/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122635482375915243.html

Most of their highways are private-public partnerships actually and I would be fine with many more of our highways being in that kind of deal. But look how much China gave to their highways, rail, and airports in 2008. Their policy is that improving infrastructure will improve the economy and seems to be the case for China. Our belief is that we need to eliminate the need for a national HSR system and cut billions from highways and airports. How's our economy doing with that belief?
__________________
Corporations Are People Too - Mitt Romney
For the People that dress up like Corporations.
TampaMike está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium