daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 7th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #2801
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Arrghhh.

Quote:
Do you think CAlifornia has zero benefit from the costumer markets is other US states, from the 50 years during which college graduates from other states have flocked there to work on high-tech stuff, all the services provided by the feds etc?
No, and I said as much in my post ("Not to say, similarly, that California doesn't benefit from its interaction with other states..."). And frankly, the precise point you make only further supports my own: California is the economic engine of the Western U.S. It should be able to carry out projects, such as the HSR system construction, without as much fuss as there is.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #2802
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

Slow Rollin'...

LA Curbed

Quote:
Bullet Train Supporters and Naysayers in Palo Alto, New Lawsuit Filed in the Central Valley
Wednesday, November 16, 2011, by Neal Broverman

The California high-speed rail proposal is trying to stay on track following the release of a new draft plan that put its inflation-adjusted pricetag at near $100 billion. We're currently in a 60 day comment period on the train's first segment through the Central Valley, and a public hearing was held yesterday in Palo Alto, home to a great deal of train opposition. The AP reports that there were the expected naysayers bemoaning the cost, but there were also labor organization leaders begging for the construction bonds to be passed so that people could be put back to work. Others stated that the bullet train will be cheaper than sinking money into freeways and airports (some people disputed that). The legislature will decide on whether to approve the construction bonds in January. Meanwhile, Kings County and two of its residents have dropped a lawsuit in the California High-Speed Rail Authority's lap, the Fresno Bee reports. The suit's arguments appear to have varying merit.

First, Kings County says that the "authority's construction of the [Central] Valley portion of the rail line illegally uses Prop 1A bond funds for a non-electric, or conventional, rail line," according to the Bee (1A created the authority and authorized the high-speed rail bonds). "The suit states that because the proposition called for an electric rail system, the use of proposition funds for a non-electric rail line--even in the 'preliminary' stage--violates state law." The County suit also says that Prop. 1A specifies that "bond funding could not exceed 50% of the funds spent on the Valley rail segment." Well, that's not really the situation, currently--the Central Valley segment is going to cost around $30 billion and the Feds have only given California about one-tenth of that, so a lot more will have to come from bonds. As for the residents joining Kings on the suit, they're suing over the train's impact on locals, including farmers.

---
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:44 PM   #2803
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Canada, North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJM3D View Post

Thank you!
This must've been broadcast on a popular comedian's TV show.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2804
trainrover

Old November 25th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #2805
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

The Department of Transportation awarded two new grants for intercity rail upgrades in the past week.

One grant was $150 million to Michigan to upgrade the Chicago-Detroit line and another grant was $928.6 million to California for the first segment of their statewide high speed rail network.

http://www.fra.dot.gov/roa/press_rel...%2036-11.shtml

http://www.fra.dot.gov/roa/press_rel...%2037-11.shtml
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #2806
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The Department of Transportation awarded two new grants for intercity rail upgrades in the past week.

One grant was $150 million to Michigan to upgrade the Chicago-Detroit line and another grant was $928.6 million to California for the first segment of their statewide high speed rail network.

http://www.fra.dot.gov/roa/press_rel...%2036-11.shtml

http://www.fra.dot.gov/roa/press_rel...%2037-11.shtml
The California grant is basically a lifeline to keep that embattled project in play until a more ideal political climate manifests itself (big if). The Chicago Detroit grant is for a "higher speed" (110mph max) line, using existing Amtrak equipment.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 04:09 AM   #2807
ironalbo
Un chileno más

Likes (Received): 62

how goes the california high speed train's construction?
ironalbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #2808
goten2255

Likes (Received): 21

how its getting a grant from the FRA one of the big government agencies of railway operations in the United States this is a good thing folks, High Speed Rail is becoming more and more possible.

and i am exterminally excited for Illinois and California for the step in the right direction i saw their plans as of some time ago like a year and i got to say wow amazing America is coming back big time with Mass Transit yes.

anyways i am really happy yes there are people who oppose it but why for doesn't everybody wants to take away congestion, traffic and such and to avoid building more runways why do people oppose this so much yet it works for the rest of the world?

what makes the USA different then the rest of the world????????
goten2255 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #2809
Somnifor
Paradise Island

Likes (Received): 3312

I don't know if it has been mentioned here but there is a plan being floated by Olmstead County, Minnesota and the Minnesota dept. of Transportation to build a true high speed rail line with speeds of 150 to 220 mph between Minneapolis and Rochester, MN. Given the amount of regional, national and international traffic generated by the Mayo Clinic in Rochester such a line might make sense.

The only articles I could find about it were in the Rochester Post Bulletin which requires a subscription, but the plan does have a website:

Zip Rail

Last edited by Somnifor; November 29th, 2011 at 07:58 AM.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #2810
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironalbo View Post
how goes the california high speed train's construction?
What construction? They haven't even issued the draft Environmental Impact Report for the first section to be built. That will be issued in Spring of next year. This thing, if it's built won't be finished until (oy vey!) 2030.
Old November 27th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #2811
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goten2255 View Post
how its getting a grant from the FRA one of the big government agencies of railway operations in the United States this is a good thing folks, High Speed Rail is becoming more and more possible.

and i am exterminally excited for Illinois and California for the step in the right direction i saw their plans as of some time ago like a year and i got to say wow amazing America is coming back big time with Mass Transit yes.

anyways i am really happy yes there are people who oppose it but why for doesn't everybody wants to take away congestion, traffic and such and to avoid building more runways why do people oppose this so much yet it works for the rest of the world?

what makes the USA different then the rest of the world????????
I wish I could share your optimism. One of the problems is, many Americans do think that their nation is different than the rest of the world, and that passenger rail isn't worth investing in. But as Churchill said, America can be counted on doing the right thing, after it has exhausted all the other possibilities. May be too late by then, though...
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #2812
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
What construction? They haven't even issued the draft Environmental Impact Report for the first section to be built. That will be issued in Spring of next year. This thing, if it's built won't be finished until (oy vey!) 2030.
I think we all be dead when they going to start construction
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #2813
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14612

Maybe rail companies from the EU, Japan, China and South Korea should join and get some good lobbyists in DC.
Arnorian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #2814
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

^And then the oil companies start crying out that lobbyists are taking over the government.
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #2815
Arnorian

Aren't corporations screaming about union lobbyists already. A bit more wining won't be so bad.
Old November 30th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #2816
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

^I was being very, very cynical, but you're right. My cynicism stems from the fact how auto and oil industries lobby against rail because "Amtrak receives $1 billion+ in federal funds per year" while neglecting to see that the government dishes out $30 billion a year just to maintain the Interstate (and we're not looking at the high oil subsidies, either.)

Seriously, how can high speed rail take off with oil so heavily subsidized?
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #2817
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
My cynicism stems from the fact how auto and oil industries lobby against rail because "Amtrak receives $1 billion+ in federal funds per year" while neglecting to see that the government dishes out $30 billion a year just to maintain the Interstate
You need to consider the income (gas taxes) that is earmarked for that purpose!

In any case, a 30:1 "subsidization" rate would be more than justified because for each passenger-mile transported by Amtrak, the Interstate system certainly transport more than 30, as Amtrak carries only 0,4% of all American mile-passengers.

Quote:
Seriously, how can high speed rail take off with oil so heavily subsidized?
How is oil subsidized, and please don't come with the "40% of military expenses are used to protect oil sources" brouhaha.
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #2818
Arnorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How is oil subsidized, and please don't come with the "40% of military expenses are used to protect oil sources" brouhaha.
I think this quote says it all:

Speaking at the Iowa Faith and Freedom Conference today, presidential candidate and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R) blasted Republicans for exempting oil and gas tax breaks from widespread budget cuts even as they targeted subsidies like ethanol:
Quote:
I don’t want to pick a fight with any of my good friends who are running, but I get a little weary of people who represent oil, which has consistently had tax subsidies for its entire history, explaining that they’re really not sure about these subsidies. Notice it’s always these subsidies. It’s never the ones down there. I notice that when Senator [Tom] Coburn [R-OK] introduced a bill that was anti-ethanol, he didn’t include subsidies for gas and oil, because as an Oklahoman, that would be suicidal. So I just think we ought to have a fair playing field.
Old December 1st, 2011, 01:41 AM   #2819
trainrover

28 Nov 2011
Calif. High Speed Rail Isn't Quick To Take Off

or
Calif. High Speed Rail Isn't Quick To Take Off
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:13 AM   #2820
trainrover

29 Nov 2011 quasi-
High-speed rail tunnel through San Jose not feasible, study says

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states