daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 31st, 2012, 12:57 AM   #2981
phoenixboi08
Registered User
 
phoenixboi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,550
Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Actually if you book ahead you can get as low as 30$ for Amtrak fares....what airline can you fly for 190 roundtrip? Sounds stretched , but does the airline drop you off in the Downtown?
That must have been a special, now it's back to around $260 or so (can't recall the airline - maybe a code share with Delta - but it was the last airfare I checked when I was considering making the trip back in November).

But you're right, I think I may have confused the round trip fare with the single journey fare.
It's only $137 for the first trip, but $172 for the return...not sure why. So that's about $300 round trip which would be almost the same as the airfare.

But that's still 22 hours compared to less than 4...Which is a lot considering the I wouldn't be saving much money.

Last edited by phoenixboi08; January 31st, 2012 at 01:05 AM.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:20 AM   #2982
aquablue
BANNED
 
aquablue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,750
Likes (Received): 229

The reason why I can't show enthusiasm is that it will take far too long (2030-2040+) to gain technology with travel speeds that will have, at that time, been accomplished over 50 years in the past elsewhere. Sorry, but no thanks. The US is too far behind and my interest is waning unless an accelerated program is put in place and a real commitment is shown by the feds. Until then, I'll consider everything I read a major joke to be taken with a grain of salt regarding HSR here.

Also, just to add, a country that prides itself on aviation travel and can't even achieve top ratings in airports and airline quality just shows how crazy it is. Forget trains, we can't even do planes as good as the other guys.

Last edited by aquablue; January 31st, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 03:15 AM   #2983
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17032

Here's what will happen along the NEC by 2020...while things are looking down for HSR , regional Rail is expanding at a decent rate....some lines have speeds up to 130mph...

-Upgrading of the New Haven line to Handle speeds of 140mph , with Catenary replacement done by 2015 , and Track straightens by 2020...

-Construction start of the Gateway Project , which includes replacement of the Portal Bridge , New Flyovers @ Kearny JCT , New Tunnels under the Hudson River , Penn Station South with preps for a future connections to Grand Central Terminal as part of the next Gen HSR , Dock Bridge overhaul / Painting , and Newark Embankment replacement

-Construction start on the New Baltimore Tunnels

-Upgraded section between Morrisville,PA and New Brunswick from 135mph to 160mph , to be completed in 2017 , eventually the whole section between Philly and NY to be replaced by 2025...

-Engineering work on the Next Gen NEC to begin next year....construction would be done in phases...

Amtrak Northeast
Intercity HSR (Acela) - 40 (70+ if demand is needed) cars
Rebuilt Intercity (Northeast R) - 60 cars
New Intercity (Northeast R) 170 cars
ACS-64 - 70 Locomotives (2012-2013)
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; January 31st, 2012 at 03:21 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:30 AM   #2984
krnboy1009
Registered User
 
krnboy1009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,661
Likes (Received): 169

So essentially a real HSR system in America is already being built.

170 mph for most of the trip sounds like a HSR to me.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:45 AM   #2985
czm3
Automobile lover
 
czm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC/Miami
Posts: 381
Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Here's what will happen along the NEC by 2020...while things are looking down for HSR , regional Rail is expanding at a decent rate....some lines have speeds up to 130mph...

-Upgrading of the New Haven line to Handle speeds of 140mph , with Catenary replacement done by 2015 , and Track straightens by 2020...

-Construction start of the Gateway Project , which includes replacement of the Portal Bridge , New Flyovers @ Kearny JCT , New Tunnels under the Hudson River , Penn Station South with preps for a future connections to Grand Central Terminal as part of the next Gen HSR , Dock Bridge overhaul / Painting , and Newark Embankment replacement

-Construction start on the New Baltimore Tunnels

-Upgraded section between Morrisville,PA and New Brunswick from 135mph to 160mph , to be completed in 2017 , eventually the whole section between Philly and NY to be replaced by 2025...

-Engineering work on the Next Gen NEC to begin next year....construction would be done in phases...

Amtrak Northeast
Intercity HSR (Acela) - 40 (70+ if demand is needed) cars
Rebuilt Intercity (Northeast R) - 60 cars
New Intercity (Northeast R) 170 cars
ACS-64 - 70 Locomotives (2012-2013)
Nexis, I love your info and insight, but this is a total farce. I'll give you a million dollars, if new york (penn) to New haven (union) will ever break 100 mph in the next 40 years.....
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:04 AM   #2986
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
Nexis, I love your info and insight, but this is a total farce. I'll give you a million dollars, if new york (penn) to New haven (union) will ever break 100 mph in the next 40 years.....
The New Haven line is capped at 90mph and even lower due to construction....bringing it up to 150 or 170mph has to do with the wires and some of the curves which are being replaced as we speak hench the lowered speed limits and track shifts...most of which should be done by 2015 or 2017. The Hell Gate line will be brought up to 120mph by the end of the decade and tracks restored as part of a commuter rail extension... In some places the wires have been replaced , but not the tracks yet , in other places the opposite has been built....

image hosted on flickr

METRO-NORTH--EOfNewRochelle_122210D by milantram, on Flickr

__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; January 31st, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:22 PM   #2987
trainrover
:-x
 
trainrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,787
Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
tracks restored as part of a commuter rail extension
__________________
.
hee hee
.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:30 PM   #2988
czm3
Automobile lover
 
czm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC/Miami
Posts: 381
Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The New Haven line is capped at 90mph and even lower due to construction....bringing it up to 150 or 170mph has to do with the wires and some of the curves which are being replaced as we speak hench the lowered speed limits and track shifts...most of which should be done by 2015 or 2017. The Hell Gate line will be brought up to 120mph by the end of the decade and tracks restored as part of a commuter rail extension... In some places the wires have been replaced , but not the tracks yet , in other places the opposite has been built....

image hosted on flickr

METRO-NORTH--EOfNewRochelle_122210D by milantram, on Flickr

I thought it was capped at 75mph? Even slower in the New Rochelle area. I used to commute twice a week via acela to New Haven and the fastest trains would still take about an hour and twenty minutes. Laughable considering it is only about 80 miles. Didnt they finish replacing the catenary on the metro north line (used by amtrak) about two years ago?

I just cannot fathom that trains could exceed 100 mph even if all the tracks get replaced. The ROW is too tight and some of America's most expensive real estate goes right up to the tracks.
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:00 AM   #2989
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
I thought it was capped at 75mph? Even slower in the New Rochelle area. I used to commute twice a week via acela to New Haven and the fastest trains would still take about an hour and twenty minutes. Laughable considering it is only about 80 miles. Didnt they finish replacing the catenary on the metro north line (used by amtrak) about two years ago?

I just cannot fathom that trains could exceed 100 mph even if all the tracks get replaced. The ROW is too tight and some of America's most expensive real estate goes right up to the tracks.
Well the slower trains are Metro North , that has to do with the station spacing and train weight which is close and heavy. No not all the Catenary has been replaced there doing it in sections and track by track. The Acela speeds are do to the construction and the restricted tilting ,which should be corrected by 2020...
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:53 AM   #2990
Botev1912
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 988
Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I don't believe that, I think the problem is that people are naturally lazy so they don't want change, change introduces uncertainty, and you have to work to adapt it.
it is the same reason why the metric system hasn't been adopted yet
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM   #2991
aquaticko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 1,995
Likes (Received): 1030

^
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:07 PM   #2992
trainrover
:-x
 
trainrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,787
Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
yet
By whose crystal ball?


Last year's news:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Japan offers to fund maglev for Northeast Corridor in U.S.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110108...20110108002747
Maglev seems more complicated than I imagined
__________________
.
hee hee
.

Last edited by trainrover; February 1st, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:00 AM   #2993
hmmwv
Registered User
 
hmmwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,391
Likes (Received): 420

We have better chance seeing teleportation becomes reality than maglev built at NEC.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM   #2994
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
I thought it was capped at 75mph? Even slower in the New Rochelle area. I used to commute twice a week via acela to New Haven and the fastest trains would still take about an hour and twenty minutes. Laughable considering it is only about 80 miles. Didnt they finish replacing the catenary on the metro north line (used by amtrak) about two years ago?

I just cannot fathom that trains could exceed 100 mph even if all the tracks get replaced. The ROW is too tight and some of America's most expensive real estate goes right up to the tracks.
Most of the New Haven sees speeds of 90mph , there are some parts that drop down to 30mph due curves or construction. The thing keeping speeds low at New Rochelle is the switch where the New Haven line and Hell Gate line split , its an odd curve which will be grade separated allowing the speed to be brought up to 120mph on the Hell Gate line and eventually the New Haven line in NY. The New NEC will go around these places ,so it will be even faster , by the end of the decade the pieces for Major Construction should be ready and underway....

image hosted on flickr

METRO-NORTH--Shell Junction by milantram, on Flickr
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:18 PM   #2995
trainrover
:-x
 
trainrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,787
Likes (Received): 738

Fencing problem(s)

__________________
.
hee hee
.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:58 PM   #2996
FM 2258
Registered User
 
FM 2258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,438
Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Most of the New Haven sees speeds of 90mph , there are some parts that drop down to 30mph due curves or construction. The thing keeping speeds low at New Rochelle is the switch where the New Haven line and Hell Gate line split , its an odd curve which will be grade separated allowing the speed to be brought up to 120mph on the Hell Gate line and eventually the New Haven line in NY. The New NEC will go around these places ,so it will be even faster , by the end of the decade the pieces for Major Construction should be ready and underway....

image hosted on flickr

METRO-NORTH--Shell Junction by milantram, on Flickr

I took the Amtrak from Newark Airport to New Haven and the train was at 0mph for about 10 min after the Hell Gate Bridge. I had a great time because it was my first time on Amtrak since I was a kid but it surprised me how slow the train was moving just north of New York City. We seemed to finally pick up speed after getting into Connecticut though. This probably explains why the train stopped and was really slow afterwards.


I was also wondering what's up with this train running backwards on the second train (at :52 seconds)? It looks like the "last" passenger car is the engine:


Last edited by FM 2258; February 4th, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #2997
k.k.jetcar
Registered User
 
k.k.jetcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sapporo
Posts: 1,811
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
I was also wondering what's up with this train running backwards on the second train (at :52 seconds)? It looks like the "last" passenger car is the engine:
It's a push-pull operation. The passenger car has a cab for the driver. Standard operating practice on US commuter lines.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #2998
trainrover
:-x
 
trainrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,787
Likes (Received): 738

Maybe think of it like the driving van trailer being done away with, and being replaced by a cab-equipped passenger car.
__________________
.
hee hee
.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #2999
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
 
desertpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ELP ~ ABQ
Posts: 55,643
Likes (Received): 53462

sfexaminer.com

Quote:
High-speed rail planners stay course despite new pitch from San Francisco leaders
By:Will Reisman | 01/31/12 6:14 PM
SF Examiner Staff Writer



Patience may be a virtue, but San Francisco isn’t willing to wait 20-plus years for high-speed rail to arrive in The City. Construction on high-speed rail networks in the Bay Area would start within three years under a proposal being pushed by city officials, including Mayor Ed Lee.

Under the current business plan backed by the California High-Speed Rail Authority, the first construction on the line that would eventually shuttle passengers from San Francisco to Los Angeles is slated to start next year in the Central Valley. Train service would not be available in San Francisco until 2034. Even then, the trains are set to stop at Fourth and King streets, not the Transbay Transit Center, the $1.5 billion train depot that is supposed to act as the network’s northern terminus at Mission and First streets.

However, the San Francisco County Transportation Authority, a local transit planning agency, said construction in the Bay Area could coincide with the beginning of work in the Central Valley. For around $4.5 billion, the high-speed rail network could be built in the region, connecting passengers from the Transbay Transit Center to San Jose, said Jose Luis Moscovich, executive director of the TA. “We are not backing away from starting in the Central Valley,” said Lance Simmens, a spokesman for the state rail authority.

This proposal, called the Fast Start network by the TA, would involve a blended approach in the Peninsula, where high-speed rail trains would share an electrified trackway with Caltrain. It would also include a tunnel underneath the South of Market district to connect with the Transbay Transit Center. Environmental clearance has already been given to both those plans, Moscovich said. The TA is still trying to determine how much funding would be available for the project, but Moscovich said private groups would be interested in backing the endeavor.

At an TA hearing Tuesday, legislative liaison Jason Elliott said Lee called the Fast Start proposal the “best strategy” for high-speed rail.

[...]
Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/tran...#ixzz1lQeap960
__________________
We are floating in space...
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #3000
krnboy1009
Registered User
 
krnboy1009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,661
Likes (Received): 169

CA HSR should probably use low floor like they do with Caltrain and other passenger rail services (aside from metro systems).
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium