daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 5th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #3001
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Till 2034, wtf, why? I thought they were going to.open the first line before 2020

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #3002
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Till 2034, wtf, why? I thought they were going to.open the first line before 2020
you may find this enlightening (talking about urban transit, but can apply to intercity projects also):
http://www.salon.com/2012/02/04/shou...uild_a_subway/

Quote:
CA HSR should probably use low floor like they do with Caltrain and other passenger rail services (aside from metro systems).
Caltrain will be electrified, ideally the Caltrain trainsets will be high level boarding, which allows shorter dwell times and easy ADA compliance. HSR trainsets with high-level boarding have the same advantages. Of course, you can build trainsets that have dual capability, like Korail's Nooriro trains.

*notice in the second video that the station has mixed low and high level platforms, which is common particularly in the Seoul metropolitan area. It seems this workable system is impossible (at this moment) in at least the Bay Area due to stupid FRA regulations re. platform clearance for switchmen hanging off freight cars(!). Of course, the best solution would be to end UP's marginal freight operations on the SF Peninsula,but that's another story...

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; February 5th, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #3003
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
you may find this enlightening (talking about urban transit, but can apply to intercity projects also):
http://www.salon.com/2012/02/04/shou...uild_a_subway/
It's so depressing reading all these problems our public transit projects have to endure. It's retarded that CAHSR may not come online until 2034, probably right after the Afghanistan's first HSR is completed.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #3004
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1030

I think that article k.k.jetcar linked to puts all pretty plainly, and it shows that there are both good and bad reasons for why things take so long to build here. But I still tend to believe that the single most damning of those items Salon pointed out is how driver-centric our country is. That makes the motivation for fixing all of those other problems that much less. If that changed, there'd be a much bigger incentive to change all the others.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3005
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

It will come before that... too many things can happen in 22 years...It would be great if SF could start in 3 years as well as the previous article said.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #3006
iamawesomezero
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Love it
iamawesomezero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #3007
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Maybe Korail stock emits far less brake dust than N American stock do ... e.g., Montreal's double-deckers noxious brake fumes make me gag when either boarding or getting off at our low-level platforms, I'm certain I'd not choke were all the platforms high level
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #3008
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
It's a push-pull operation. The passenger car has a cab for the driver. Standard operating practice on US commuter lines.
I see, the video wasn't clear enough to see the driver. Thanks for the explanation.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #3009
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

We use Push - Pulls for alot of our moves....the train here is going 85mph...

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #3010
trainrover

"... remain behind yellow line."
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #3011
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post

"... remain behind yellow line."
A couple of my favourite videos, those.
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #3012
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Those are some pretty nice videos.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #3013
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Same station, different season

Old February 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #3014
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

God the whole thing's rocking and rolling all over the shop, I'm surprised it's allowed to run at 150 on that section, it looks dangerous as all hell...
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #3015
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1030

Somehow, it seems significantly slower than other high speed trains. I know it runs about 30mph slower than HSR in other countries, and that the train itself is shorter, but it feels like it's going closer to 100mph than 150mph.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #3016
Think
...or not to be...

Likes (Received): 158

It takes 4 seconds to pass it length, so it's really closer to 100 mph than 150 mph.

It could be dangerous to pass an open platform at 150 mph.
Think no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #3017
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Somehow, it seems significantly slower than other high speed trains. I know it runs about 30mph slower than HSR in other countries, and that the train itself is shorter, but it feels like it's going closer to 100mph than 150mph.
I can tell you from experience the rocking makes napping easier.

It's what we have, and on that route it is always full and I'm certain by itself operates at a huge surplus. As slow as it may be compared to the super trains all of you non-backward utopian country residents use it is the fastest way to get from downtown DC to downtown Philadelphia, the fastest way from downtown Phil to downtown NYC, fastest from downtown NYC to downtown Boston, probably the fastest way to get from DC to downtown NYC etc. The only way to get to and from those places faster would be Star Trek beaming.

The Acela IS our high speed rail, and as someone who was in a former life a weekly rider, it is tremendous! But it's not tremendous enough to warrant a 10 billion dollar (or whatever it would need to be) borrowed investment to make it 50MPH faster when 9 out of 10 bridges the other 99.999% of the poulation drive on are falling apart. We have bigger infrastructure problems here.

I was just in Southern California a few weeks ago and I drove on your roads. If you folks out there have 40 billion to throw around on infrastructure HSR should NOT be your priority! JMHO of course and as always YMMV.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #3018
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Motorists have already been catered to enough in this country. I'm sure they can wait like grownups while others get their turn.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #3019
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post

Motorists have already been catered to enough in this country. I'm sure they can wait like grownups while others get their turn.
So, you are saying that 99.99% should wait until the .01% get something they don't really need?

Got it!
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3020
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

There is a difference between "structurally deficient" and "functionally obsolete".

Structurally deficient means it's falling down. By all means, replace these immediately.

Functionally obsolete means our traffic engineers can't believe it's handling the traffic it is. As long as such structures are properly maintained, however, there's no good reason to replace it. Replacing a "functionally obsolete" span is catering to drivers. It's the definition of it, almost.

The Tappan Zee Bridge and the Pulaski Skyway are two excellent examples of "functionally obsolete" spans in the New York area, to give you an idea.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states