daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 25th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #3041
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

It' really impressive to see trains out in *Michigan* of all places finally running at some half decent speeds, where else are there plans for projects like this?

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #3042
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
100mph

is that door open on 0:10??
Old February 27th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #3043
eminencia

Likes (Received): 4

Looks like it is.
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #3044
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Hope in American railways... somewhat restored.

*Sees open door at 100 mph. Nevermind.
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #3045
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

90mph....

90-100mph

Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; February 28th, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #3046
Think
...or not to be...

Likes (Received): 158

Are you sure of these speeds, or it's only the consideration of the Youtube users? Speed is so easy to calculate counting the time that the train take to pass and dividing by it the length of the train.

I have my doubts with the last video.
Think no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3047
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

All those speeds strike me as exaggerated.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #3048
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Thats the max track speed , expresses and Amtrak hit it as you can see most of the trains do. Some seem slower , but rail fanners are not going to lie about speed. Speed barely gets u views on yt , unlike new trains and lines.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #3049
trainrover

I doubt N American exaggeration has ever been a secret
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #3050
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
I cycle over 30 mins each way to work and don't find it a massive hassle, there are shower facilities at work and lockers. If the facilities are there people will use them. It keeps me very fit, but I imagine Austin is quite a different climate though!
Yes, Austin can get really hot during spring and summer and the building I work in does not have showers.

I'm glad to see the line between Chicago and Detroit is getting a speed upgrade. Now if we can start electrifying our railroads that will even be more awesome. Most trains are diesel-electric, I wonder what it would take to convert them to -electric.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #3051
trainrover

once upon a time, catenary was virtually invisible
Old March 19th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #3052
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Yes, Austin can get really hot during spring and summer and the building I work in does not have showers.

I'm glad to see the line between Chicago and Detroit is getting a speed upgrade. Now if we can start electrifying our railroads that will even be more awesome. Most trains are diesel-electric, I wonder what it would take to convert them to -electric.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:58 AM   #3053
trainrover

Hark! HSTs actually going clickety-clack

X2000 @ 5'24" & 6'44"; ICE @ 7'25"
Old March 31st, 2012, 03:42 AM   #3054
trainrover

(playback glitch temporary)

Last edited by trainrover; March 31st, 2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM   #3055
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
High-speed rail plan slashes costs to calm critics
Michael Cabanatuan
Sunday, April 1, 2012

State transportation officials have slashed the price tag for California's controversial high-speed rail project by $30 billion and expanded the first stretch of track to run from Merced in the Central Valley south to the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles.

The California High Speed Rail Authority's revised business plan, which will be released Monday in Fresno, calls for those dramatic changes as the agency prepares to ask the Legislature to use $2.7 billion in state high-speed rail bonds to start construction by early next year.

The drastic revision, which puts the proposed cost of the system at $68.4 billion instead of the $98.5 billion estimated in November, intends to cool opposition to the project . . . . It relies heavily on what officials have called a "blended approach" that uses existing commuter rail lines - including Caltrain - in the Bay Area and Los Angeles.

That shift, authority board members said Saturday, is largely responsible for the cost savings because it eliminates the need to build separate tracks for high-speed rail through dense metropolitan areas . . . .

Gov. Jerry Brown's office has made the rail project eligible to use anticipated cap-and-trade revenues, which will be used as a backstop if other revenues don't come in when needed.

For the Bay Area, the new business plan means the authority will pay about half the $1.5 billion cost of electrifying the Caltrain system from San Jose to San Francisco. The long-planned electrification project, which will speed commuter trains and allow high-speed trains to share the tracks, could be completed by 2019. But the business plan's decision to head to Los Angeles first means high-speed trains won't arrive in the Bay Area until 2026 at the earliest . . . .

Under the new plan, construction still will start with the 130-mile Central Valley stretch, then continue north to Merced and south to Palmdale, crossing the Tehachapis with a series of tunnels and viaducts. It could reach both destinations by 2020. Extending the line to Burbank will take two more years.

. . . the updated plan also calls for the authority to invest in improvements that include advanced signaling systems and elimination of street-level railroad crossings on the Altamont Commuter Express and Amtrak San Joaquin trains, which would allow them to increase speeds and haul passengers to Merced faster . . . .

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA2F1NT19T.DTL
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:32 PM   #3056
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Probably someone up thread already commented on this (no time to read 144 pages), but being fairly familiar with HSR projects in Europe, I am amazed both about the unnaturally high price tag for this Californian scheme and even more about the choice of the first stretch. Merced to Bakersfield and no San Francisco till late 20-ties at best??? That's just brain-dead... Who is going to use that? HSR works best when connecting large cities with already a heavy traffic between them (Paris-Lyon-Marseille, Madrid-Barcelona, Paris-London etc)...

If I was a Californian official in charge of this and without enough money to go from LA to San Franciso (although 60 billion ought to be enough) then I would build LA-San Diego first. Two large cities, probably enough existing traffic between them and much closer. A well built HSR (paralleling I-5) would reach one city from the other in about 50 min with a single stop in Anaheim. Would be an excellent demonstration project for HSR in USA. I believe it takes at least 2 h to drive this route. Asking Californian government to be smart with taxpayers money is asking too much, I guess.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:08 PM   #3057
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

If memory serves, part of the reason for the start of construction in the middle of the state is time. Some part of the legislation that is giving California enough money to build the system requires that construction starts before a certain date, and the environmental review process can obviously go much quicker in the relatively low-density Central Valley than it can in either the Bay Area or LA. Another potential problem is that instead of building brand new tracks for HSR in San Francisco, they've decided to upgrade the current Caltrain tracks; again, part of the legislation required a completely new system. There's actually been concerns that this may make the recent changes by the CAHSRA illegal.

All this info is from a link or two posted on Transportation Nation, but I can't find them right now. I may also be mis-remembering things, if anyone wants to correct me.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:03 PM   #3058
trainrover

Foolish how America's HSR discussions skirt restructuring its passé civil aviation practices ...
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM   #3059
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
All this info is from a link or two posted on Transportation Nation, but I can't find them right now. I may also be mis-remembering things, if anyone wants to correct me.
The California High Speed Rail Blog should tell you everything you want to know.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:03 PM   #3060
trainrover

See what I mean? Private enterprise not daring to tread on civil aviators' toes throughout their promo while harping on about petrol coupled to visual streams of automobile traffic, and summing up by advising viewers to write to their elected politicians.

One 'American' dream that'll never come to be (What's this "electrified trains", "electified trains" business? )

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states