daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 20th, 2012, 04:28 AM   #3121
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Failed to note that other branches of NJT commuter rail goes through that part of the NEC and diverge somewhere south. And rush hour part.

Have never really ridden NJT or Amtrak during rush hour.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3122
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

What is currently the maximum speed of Acela (in metric)? And is there any plan to extend or its network, or introduce high speed service on west coast?
bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:50 AM   #3123
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
What is currently the maximum speed of Acela (in metric)? And is there any plan to extend or its network, or introduce high speed service on west coast?
About 240 km/h.

There are some really early stage proposals to upgrade the NEC, but I don't think the Acela's route will be lengthened.

California HSR is supposed to be groundbreaking in the next couple of years.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:57 AM   #3124
writing90
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

All Images very nice.I love them.

Last edited by writing90; July 13th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
writing90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:50 AM   #3125
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
About 240 km/h.

There are some really early stage proposals to upgrade the NEC, but I don't think the Acela's route will be lengthened.

California HSR is supposed to be groundbreaking in the next couple of years.
The Next Gen NEC will add 260 miles by 2050....which means the Acela or Next Gen Acela will have a longer route...and faster up to 220mph....in New England on its own ROW and 180-200mph along the upgraded NEC.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:26 AM   #3126
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The Next Gen NEC will add 260 miles by 2050....which means the Acela or Next Gen Acela will have a longer route...and faster up to 220mph....in New England on its own ROW and 180-200mph along the upgraded NEC.
If that ever gets approved by congress. The politicking over HSR and rail projects in general is immensely frustrating.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3127
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
That would be so nice, having ridden 220mph trains several times and I have to say you can really tell the difference between that and a regular 125mph train.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:10 PM   #3128
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
If that ever gets approved by congress. The politicking over HSR and rail projects in general is immensely frustrating.

The goal is 2050 , so i do see it getting built....
Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:23 AM   #3129
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Administration Unveils High-Speed Rail-Car Push
April 20, 2012, 11:21 p.m. ET

The U.S. government on Friday unveiled a fresh effort to kick-start its high-speed railroad project, unveiling a proposal to fund and build new passenger cars for the states that are progressing with the project.

The Department of Transportation said it was looking to buy around 130 new rail cars that would be operated in up to seven states that have signed up to pursue high-speed rail lines run by government-owned rail operator Amtrak, with two-thirds of them used in the Midwest and the rest in California.

The department plans to award the $551 million rail-car contract in October—initial bids are due next month—stipulating that all assembly, parts and materials have to be made in the U.S. . . . .
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB2000...=ITP_pageone_2
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:40 AM   #3130
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
The goal is 2050 , so i do see it getting built....
The goal is 2050 assuming it starts within the next few years. Much though I want it to happen, and it needs to/should, I've not got my hopes up.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:24 AM   #3131
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
The goal is 2050 assuming it starts within the next few years. Much though I want it to happen, and it needs to/should, I've not got my hopes up.
Amtrak has it in Phases , the big stuff won't get built intill the late 2030s-2040s...but the small Capacity and Current NEC upgrades should be done by 2030. The 2030 Plans shave off an hour between Boston and DC , the Next Gen plan reduces that to just 2 and a half hours. Alot of Northeastern Rail expansions have a goal of 2030 for the Major routes and the system have been prepping for that with capacity and system upgrades... The 2030 plans are easy to do , and are around the NYC region , and Baltimore...
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:18 AM   #3132
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
add another 150 years of lawsuits....
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #3133
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
High-speed rail sets Valley route, gets $1 billion offer
By Tim Sheehan - The Fresno Bee
Friday, May. 04, 2012 | 12:32 AM

The California High-Speed Rail Authority took a key step toward developing its proposed passenger-train system Thursday, certifying environmental reports and formally approving the first portion of the line between Merced and Fresno.

Skeptics remain even as the authority pushes forward on building as soon as this year. But Thursday, a new booster stepped forward -- Madera real-estate developer Ed McIntyre, who said that he and partners are ready to spend $1 billion developing a maintenance yard and more if the authority puts it on their property in Madera.

McIntyre told the board before its vote that his group believes high-speed rail pencils out as a money-maker. In his group's case, he said, they're certain they can secure financing and recoup their investment through a lease-buy deal with the authority.

Thursday's votes at the authority's board meeting in Fresno locks in the route choice -- a hybrid line that follows portions of two different rail lines through the San Joaquin Valley -- and clears the way for the authority to award construction contracts after bids are received later this year.

It also allows the agency to start negotiating with property owners along the route for buying rights of way and determining other types of compensation for potential losses . . . .

The federal government has pledged about $3.3 billion to California to start building a 120-mile stretch from Madera to Bakersfield -- part of the 520-mile system that would connect San Francisco and Los Angeles. But that money depends on the state putting up $2.7 billion from Proposition 1A, a bond measure approved by voters in 2008.

"If the Legislature doesn't authorize the issuance of $2.7 billion, we have more than a casual difficulty in how to move the project forward because it puts in jeopardy the money from the feds," Richards said Thursday . . . .

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/05/03/...#storylink=cpy
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #3134
Heludin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 70

When I was in California there was much especulation about the funds and all that is required to make it happen, but it was only that................China already beat us on that.
Heludin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #3135
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Just considering the sheer momentum behind the project at this moment, California seems the most likely to happen out of all the genuine HSR projects in the U.S., though that probably says more about how ridiculously hard it's been to progress than anything else.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #3136
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Just considering the sheer momentum behind the project at this moment, California seems the most likely to happen out of all the genuine HSR projects in the U.S., though that probably says more about how ridiculously hard it's been to progress than anything else.
This is really going to be up to the Central Valley folks described in the article. That is the heart of Republican California and if it is to be blocked, they'd be doing it. That's why, I think, they are to be the first to see dirt fly even though some mock it as the "railroad to nowhere." So I'm glad to see it has some enthusiastic support out there.
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #3137
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

How dynamic of an economic center is Chowchilla (how is that even pronounced lol)? I know Fresno is a fast decaying area, though it has an university.
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #3138
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Chowchilla is the proposed area for a junction, which with high speed rail takes up some space. I would think the size its economy is a minor consideration.

Quote:
I know Fresno is a fast decaying area,
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/tpp/offices...011/Fresno.pdf
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #3139
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

Dallas Star found some hopeful news:

Quote:
$10 Billion Bullet Train on Track in Texas
Thursday, 10 May 2012 09:46 AM

By Robert Engler

An international investment group plans to put up $10 billion to build a 220-mph bullet train connecting Dallas and Houston, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

The investors, led by Central Japan Railway Co., say they will not seek any state or federal funds to operate the high-speed rail line, which could be running by 2020, the Star-Telegram reported Wednesday.

Instead, the group plans to recover its investment through rider fares, which would be competitive with the cost of air travel between the two cities.
“It is a highly capital-intensive project, but we believe it is commercially viable,” said former Harris County Judge Robert Eckels, one of several Texans in the group and president of Texas Central Railway, a Japanese-U.S. partnership.

The Dallas-to-Houston, high-speed line would be the first in the United States capable of the triple-digit speeds that trains in Europe and Asia reach.
Amtrak’s Acela, the fastest passenger train in the United States, reaches a maximum speed of 68 mph on its route between New York City and Washington, D.C.
http://www.newsmax.com/US/rail-high-...5/10/id/438609
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #3140
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Dallas Star found some hopeful news:

http://www.newsmax.com/US/rail-high-...5/10/id/438609
Lawsuits coming in 5 4 3.....
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states