daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 1st, 2012, 12:09 AM   #3181
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
I really doubt that exact line would be upgraded to 190 MPH. It's incredibly unsafe for high speed rail to be running at full speed next to freight, locals, commuters, etc. They'd probably have to build an entirely new line.
It used to carry speeds up to 170mph , the original NEC had 6 tracks...in places like PA and Urban Jersey this can be re-installed allowing even faster speeds... The current plans do call for New tracks to be installed in Philly , Baltimore , NY , Newark and New England separate from the NEC to allow speeds up to 200mph.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:39 PM   #3182
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
It used to carry speeds up to 170mph , the original NEC had 6 tracks...in places like PA and Urban Jersey this can be re-installed allowing even faster speeds... The current plans do call for New tracks to be installed in Philly , Baltimore , NY , Newark and New England separate from the NEC to allow speeds up to 200mph.

170 MPH? On the NEC? Am I missing something? When did that ever happen outside of a test run?
Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:16 AM   #3183
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
170 MPH? On the NEC? Am I missing something? When did that ever happen outside of a test run?

A few test runs....and the old NEC went up to 160-170 in spots...it wouldn't be so hard to upgrade the NEC to handle South of NYC to handle up to 220mph you just need to restored the 2 addition tracks and build the bypass lines as called for in the Amtrak plans.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:52 AM   #3184
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

I think the dream for real high speed rail in the US is over, I don't think california or the northeast will build it.

Maybe in the far future when the country becomes less stupid.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM   #3185
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I think the dream for real high speed rail in the US is over, I don't think california or the northeast will build it.

I don't think its over the Amtrak plans don't call for any Large construction intill after the 2030s...only smaller Catenary and Tunnel and Bridge replacement which seems to be moving along fine after ties. Theres some loose ends that need to be tied up in the NYC region before the Gateway project moves forward...but they seem to be in agreement for 60% of the funding. The Amtrak plan also calls for Private funding aswell at least for the New NEC...so the dreams aren't over ....i don't think they will be...it will just be slow.... As for California i think that project is dead , its a shame but Cali Empire is starting to collapse....so that's one of the many projects that will go...eventually....and there plan does not allow private in like the Northeast. As for when Private decides to take interest in the NEC and which segments get built first , when the Global economy picks up , then i think you'll see interest and the DC - NYC segment which will be the easiest and cheapest to build will go first.

Its that simple , the only projects you'll see between now and 2030 are Bridge replacements between NY and Boston , Speed Increasing from 90 to 125 in CT : 135 to 160/170mph in NJ : 85 to 110/125mph in NYC/NY : 135 to 160/170mph in PA along NEC , 90 to 125mph along Keystone , Catenary Replacements in CT , NJ , PA , and NY , the Gateway Project , 70-100 New Locos to replace existing locos that run on the NEC and feeder lines , Straightening in NJ and CT , Newer Signal Tech , Grade Separation of Railway JCTs in PA , NJ , NY and CT and More Train Capacity added....and 200-400 New Rail cars...along with station restorations to allow 20+ car trains...60% of that is funded.... that's enough to keep me happy....then again alot of those projects allow for faster Regional Rail restorations / Expansions rather then HSR except the Catenary replacements and Gateway projects which lay down the Path for HSR in the future.... The Grade Separations and New Interchanges allow for Amtrak glide faster and without dealing with slower trains.... The Feeder lines are being prepped or rebuilt as we speak to 110/125mph....not all the projects are funded by the feds and are Amtrak projects , the Bridge replacements and Catenary replacements , along signals are being done by the states...at there own pace , but also not disturb the line....so its slow going...

I would say out of the 120 Billion Amtrak Master plan for the NE , they added in all the feeder and branch upgrades from the Various states....so were talking at least 30 Billion in state projects...45 Billion to upgrade the NEC and the rest for the New line....some like I said will be private....

Last edited by Nexis; June 2nd, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:13 PM   #3186
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Deflecting blame and playing conspiracies, the past time of socialized transport activists since 1920...

The only conspiracy theory is your pathetic denial of what actually happened in the U.S. You don't even live here, what the hell would you know?

Automobile transport is massively socialized in the U.S.- trillions have been spent on unprofitable non revenue generating roads and massive amounts of land have been consumed not only for their construction but the construction of all the ancillary businesses that cater to the automobile- gas stations, service shops, and dealerships. Heck, on many roads that is the only type of business one sees along them.

And of course there are the disastrous environmental effects of auto centrism that come in the form of air pollution and loss of arable land.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3187
Jay

Quote:
I don't think its over the Amtrak plans don't call for any Large construction intill after the 2030s...only smaller Catenary and Tunnel and Bridge replacement which seems to be moving along fine after ties. Theres some loose ends that need to be tied up in the NYC region before the Gateway project moves forward...but they seem to be in agreement for 60% of the funding. The Amtrak plan also calls for Private funding aswell at least for the New NEC...so the dreams aren't over ....i don't think they will be...it will just be slow.... As for California i think that project is dead , its a shame but Cali Empire is starting to collapse....so that's one of the many projects that will go...eventually....and there plan does not allow private in like the Northeast. As for when Private decides to take interest in the NEC and which segments get built first , when the Global economy picks up , then i think you'll see interest and the DC - NYC segment which will be the easiest and cheapest to build will go first.

Its that simple , the only projects you'll see between now and 2030 are Bridge replacements between NY and Boston , Speed Increasing from 90 to 125 in CT : 135 to 160/170mph in NJ : 85 to 110/125mph in NYC/NY : 135 to 160/170mph in PA along NEC , 90 to 125mph along Keystone , Catenary Replacements in CT , NJ , PA , and NY , the Gateway Project , 70-100 New Locos to replace existing locos that run on the NEC and feeder lines , Straightening in NJ and CT , Newer Signal Tech , Grade Separation of Railway JCTs in PA , NJ , NY and CT and More Train Capacity added....and 200-400 New Rail cars...along with station restorations to allow 20+ car trains...60% of that is funded.... that's enough to keep me happy....then again alot of those projects allow for faster Regional Rail restorations / Expansions rather then HSR except the Catenary replacements and Gateway projects which lay down the Path for HSR in the future.... The Grade Separations and New Interchanges allow for Amtrak glide faster and without dealing with slower trains.... The Feeder lines are being prepped or rebuilt as we speak to 110/125mph....not all the projects are funded by the feds and are Amtrak projects , the Bridge replacements and Catenary replacements , along signals are being done by the states...at there own pace , but also not disturb the line....so its slow going...

I would say out of the 120 Billion Amtrak Master plan for the NE , they added in all the feeder and branch upgrades from the Various states....so were talking at least 30 Billion in state projects...45 Billion to upgrade the NEC and the rest for the New line....some like I said will be private....

I hope they come up with a new plan for Cali someday. America is terrible, it's so sad it can't catch up with the rest of the world.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:56 AM   #3188
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

WHEN WILL HSR IN USA BE BUILT. COME ON EVERY HAS IT ACCEPT USA. I WANT IT IN THE U.S.

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:05 AM   #3189
Jay

aren't you from sweden?

anyway, clearly not for some time, and no not every other country has it, but a lot do, and the US should.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM   #3190
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:

It seems like when we're all dead the U.S. will get it's shit together on non-fossil fuel powered, efficient, fast, practical public transportation.

2090 everything will be in place.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:38 PM   #3191
Nexis
Dark Wolf

So Apparently the New Acelas can go up to 186mph.....
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM   #3192
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
So Apparently the New Acelas can go up to 186mph.....
New Acelas?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM   #3193
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
New Acelas?
Yes the ordered New Cars for the Acelas , and New 4 New Acelas...., along with New Northeast Regional cars and locos...similar to the Eurosprinter.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:04 PM   #3194
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

Quote:
Yes the ordered New Cars for the Acelas , and New 4 New Acelas...., along with New Northeast Regional cars and locos...similar to the Eurosprinter.
I have not seen news for this. We shall see in the future if it is true. But yes, there are plans for such a purchase.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM   #3195
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer View Post
I have not seen news for this. We shall see in the future if it is true. But yes, there are plans for such a purchase.
Thats are under Construction as we speak and will be delivered next year with the New Cars....the New Acelas i'm not sure....although the extra cars should come next year...
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:01 PM   #3196
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

Quote:
Thats are under Construction as we speak and will be delivered next year with the New Cars....the New Acelas i'm not sure....although the extra cars should come next year...
Yea, I know about the ACS-64s, the new viewliners, and the existing acela insertion cars. But they have not yet ordered brand new acela-II trainsets yet. Those are a few years off.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #3197
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 188

oh well, who's next??

Poll: Voters turn against California bullet train
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #3198
Jay

New Acelas are nice, but the Northeast has never really had much a problem with rail travel, it's the rest of the country where trains are seldom used.

We need high speed rail around America, and I feel like it's not gonna happen in the near future.
Old June 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #3199
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
New Acelas are nice, but the Northeast has never really had much a problem with rail travel, it's the rest of the country where trains are seldom used.

We need high speed rail around America, and I feel like it's not gonna happen in the near future.
The problem is, trains are most efficient in densely populated areas, so building an entire HSR ring across such sparsely populated (in overall terms) country sa USA is a mad idea. It's better to start building isolated systems in densily populated areas (like North-East, California, Great lakes area, etc) and after succes of such systems it would be much easier to plan connection of such systems (if it can be feasible, some systems, like californian one will be isolated anyway...).

That's how it works - you fist do simple solutions, and once you succeeded - you go for a complex and expensive one.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #3200
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Even if built, I agree that the HSR's impact would be marginal in the short run--but it is required if America's transportation grid is to survive in the next few decades. It took around 30-40 years for the Interstate Highway system to reach peak usage (the city planning had to evolve to allow it to maximize efficiency), and I don't see how HSR's impact would be different. This is one of the core reasons why Americans feel that high speed rail is irrelevant--because in America's infrastructure today is undeniably incompatible with dense transportation hubs that characterize train stations.

However, just as the Interstate was able to transform America with urban sprawl, high speed rail can also reverse it. Just don't expect that change to be instantaneous.

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states