daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 21st, 2012, 01:24 AM   #3601
Don31

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
The political climate will indeed have to change for things to change. The republican party has essentially moved into a mental asylum while the democratic party has become the republican party of the 70s and 80s: somewhat sane but mostly corrupt.
Amen to that brother....
Don31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:04 AM   #3602
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I didn't say HSR shouldn't be built because private money alone can't do it! I actually support government involvement in building tracks and stations (but not operating trains directly) like I support government building highways or airports (but not operating buses or airplanes directly).

What I said was that the current political climate in US is just an anti-tax hysteria. A hysteria that was absent when most highway construction took place in the 1940s-1970s for instance.
For once, Suburbanist, we are in agreement.
Old September 21st, 2012, 05:57 PM   #3603
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

That's a crock o' shit. Back in the day, big business was paying its taxes, as in pulling their own weight ... that fella's simply all about corporate welfare (cheques)
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 04:16 PM   #3604
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
I didn't say HSR shouldn't be built because private money alone can't do it! I actually support government involvement in building tracks and stations (but not operating trains directly) like I support government building highways or airports (but not operating buses or airplanes directly).

What I said was that the current political climate in US is just an anti-tax hysteria. A hysteria that was absent when most highway construction took place in the 1940s-1970s for instance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
For once, Suburbanist, we are in agreement.
Me too. What the hell just happened!?
Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:22 PM   #3605
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Agreed. In fact, I'd support a move to go 'all in' on that with the freight rails, too. Have them operate like the trucking companies can, unencumbered by their current infrastructure ownership limitations.

Quote:
A huge factor here, IMHO, is that today, a far more substantial portion of pvblic treasure is going into places where the public can see no positive return on their 'investment' than back then. Right now, the DoD budget is less than half of the current federal deficit. Where is all of that money going?

When those 'budget hole' questions start being answered, addressed and brought back under control, perhaps there will then be some money available for these and other truly needful infrastructure repairs and upgrades.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:58 AM   #3606
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

New Jersey - Amtrak To Run Test Trains At 165 Mph In Northeast

Quote:
New Jersey - Amtrak is going to break the speed limit this week in the Northeast Corridor.

The rail service announced Monday it will operate test trains overnight at 165 mph in four stretches from Maryland to Massachusetts.

Acela Express equipment will be used for the tests, which were to start at about 10:30 p.m. Monday in New Jersey.

All the locations may one day have regular 160 mph service. Amtrak said tests need to be performed at 5 mph above what is expected to be a maximum operating speed of 160 mph.

Two test locations - from Perryville, Md., to Wilmington, Del., and from Trenton to New Brunswick, N.J. - currently have a speed limit of 135 mph. The two others - in Rhode Island from Westerly to Cranston and in Massachusetts from South Attleboro to Readville - currently have 150 mph limits.

The same areas, totaling just over 100 miles, were used for high-speed tests before the introduction of Acela service.

Amtrak spokesman Cliff Cole said the tests, employing nine-car trains and continuing into next week, will not affect normal rail operations because they are scheduled at a time of minimal rail service.

In New Jersey, track, electric power, signal systems and overhead catenary wires are to be upgraded over the next several years to improve system reliability and to permit regular train operations at faster speeds, as part of a $450 million project funded by the federal high-speed rail program.
Old September 25th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #3607
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
At least they are now investing some 300 billion Dollars in renewing their nuclear arsenal to fight the Russians back in the 80s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
The political climate will indeed have to change for things to change. The republican party has essentially moved into a mental asylum while the democratic party has become the republican party of the 70s and 80s: somewhat sane but mostly corrupt.
Keep your ******* politics out of this thread!
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #3608
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Normally I would agree, but it's a fact that rail (or lack thereof) and politics are ridiculously intertwined in the US. It can't be left out of the conversation when asking questions about future rail development.
Silly_Walks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #3609
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Normally I would agree, but it's a fact that rail (or lack thereof) and politics are ridiculously intertwined in the US. It can't be left out of the conversation when asking questions about future rail development.
Do tell me just what in the two posts I quoted directly deals with HSR?
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #3610
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 786

Quote:
That's kind of difficult when the government wants to be so involved.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #3611
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
That's kind of difficult when the government wants to be so involved.
If people want to discuss on-topic political issues regarding HSR (most of which are state and local, btw), that's fine. If they just want to throw out stupid partisan talking points and non sequiturs, they can **** off.
Old September 25th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #3612
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Amtrak Acela 165-170MPH Test Train at Princeton JCT

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #3613
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Amtrak Acela 165-170MPH Test Train at Princeton JCT

Much, much, much better. Now for the route upgrades so this can happen along the whole line...
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #3614
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

getting there, one test at a time.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3615
Don31

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Do tell me just what in the two posts I quoted directly deals with HSR?
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post:

"The political climate will indeed have to change for things to change."
Don31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #3616
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Finally the Acela is acting like a real HSR train.
Old September 27th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #3617
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
If people want to discuss on-topic political issues regarding HSR (most of which are state and local, btw), that's fine. If they just want to throw out stupid partisan talking points and non sequiturs, they can **** off.
You know, typing that word does NOT enhance your arguement or make you look any more intelligent. I for one would appreciate it if the cursing would stop.

HRS in the US is unfortunately 100% politics right now. The only way it will ever be built is through Government investment, that makes it political.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #3618
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
You know, typing that word does NOT enhance your arguement or make you look any more intelligent. I for one would appreciate it if the cursing would stop.

HRS in the US is unfortunately 100% politics right now. The only way it will ever be built is through Government investment, that makes it political.
It's like he owns the thread right? Make me laugh. The fellow clearly doesn't understand the concept of the word "public". Just ignore the troll.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #3619
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

He may be brash, flippant, yet I can understand his being fed up with seeing flaunted private interests here snuffing what ought to be strictly a matter of public policy.

Last edited by trainrover; September 28th, 2012 at 05:02 AM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #3620
General Huo

Likes (Received): 709

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Finally the Acela is acting like a real HSR train.
Is Amtrak/Acela sharing same tracks with NJ transit or other metro, intercity rail systems? If there is no dedicated tracks for HSR-like Acela, I imagine that it will be extremely difficult to manage HSR and low speed metro/intercity trains on same tracks.

“匈奴未灭,无以家为也!” 汉冠军侯景桓侯骠骑大将军大司马霍去病
General Huo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states