daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 29th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #3661
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue

Operators do not want interoperability since it costs them too much.
Here is the reason why. An operator owning a limited number of HST would want to maximize usage of his limited HST fleet so they would want it to be on the fast lane as much as possible to carry more passengers within a given time frame. Therefore the operator would not want to send his shiny new HST fleet down a slow track that can only carry a reduced amount of passenger within the same time frame as a fast lane plus if you send it down the slow lane it may also get caught in traffic bogged down by freight losing more potential passengers.
On top 2~5% of the fleet will be in maintenance at any given moment and HST would have an 20~30% premium on it's price tag compared to a conventional train. So interoperability is meaningless even if such function exists since the operator would not send it down a slow lane in the first place due to economy.
Most operators of high speed trains do run them on slow lines too. Because, contrary to what you assert, it actually allows them to make more money...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #3662
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Most operators of high speed trains do run them on slow lines too. Because, contrary to what you assert, it actually allows them to make more money...
That is a political issue in which a big wig promises their constituents that high speed rail will come to their station if they vote for them.
Populism at it's worst.
The big wig politician holds the cards to approve or reject of a new line so the operators have no other way then to comply but at the end it drains profitability constraining them to subsidies making them vulnerable to conforming to more demands by the big wigs creating a vicious cycle.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #3663
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
That is a political issue in which a big wig promises their constituents that high speed rail will come to their station if they vote for them.
Populism at it's worst.
The big wig politician holds the cards to approve or reject of a new line so the operators have no other way then to comply but at the end it drains profitability constraining them to subsidies making them vulnerable to conforming to more demands by the big wigs creating a vicious cycle.
It doesn't explain why Germany and China runs ICE and CRH2 trainsets on conventional lines.
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3664
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
It doesn't explain why Germany and China runs ICE and CRH2 trainsets on conventional lines.
As does France and Turkey
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #3665
-Liberty-
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Speaking about Populism..

Obama promised a lot of infrastructures to revive the american economy,
but nothing happened, congratulations.
-Liberty- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #3666
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
Populism at it's worst.
Operators are not building and paying for high speed lines (at least not in Europe). Government is the major investor so it's only natural that it also has some say where exactly it's going to go.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #3667
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Liberty- View Post

If you had followed politics for at least the last 4 years, in stead of listening to talking points a few weeks before the election, you would know that most initiatives have been shut down by republicans (just look up what happened in Wisconsin, to name one example). Furthermore, improvements on the NEC ARE taking place.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #3668
Silver Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Liberty- View Post

This is exactly what irks me about the American public when they try to burn Obama for "not following through with his promises."

"Obama is a bad president because he didn't keep his promises; you should vote for me because I was the one who stopped him from keeping his promises."

Last edited by Silver Swordsman; October 30th, 2012 at 05:52 AM.
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:43 AM   #3669
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
the technology is still too unproven
Blame the lack of genuine commitment to maglev R&D.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #3670
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Now that Obama has another term, we will probably be able to see more funding for high speed rail lines
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #3671
G5man
High Speed Rail fan

Likes (Received): 37

Not exactly, the House is still majority Republican. Unless you can convince some to cross the aisle, that will not happen. Realistically, a Transportation Bill would have to have some sort of hidden rider in it to get it past the House.
G5man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #3672
Bla55ir
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

There were plans of building a high speed train network in some areas such as California but never went to effect.
Bla55ir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #3673
Silver Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bla55ir View Post
There were plans of building a high speed train network in some areas such as California but never went to effect.
What are you talking about? California's high speed rail system is in the final stages of planning and will start contract bids and construction next year. It's still very relevant. In areas all around the US, planners are starting to look at high speed rail as a feasible option, from Colorado to Virginia, to even hardcore Republican stronghold, Texas.

My only question regarding CHSR is whether they will bring in foreign expertise or whether they will try to make it "homegrown". In my opinion they should go with foreign tech to save costs.
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #3674
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

CHSR should do the same as China has done. Bring in foreign expertise to get the show on the road and switch to "homegrown" once you have gattered sufficient knowledge.

It would be stupid for them to reinvent the wheel and start of homegrown, but knowing a lot of Americans are oposed to anything foreign, they're crazy enough to do that.

In this case you also have the third option: Only import the knowhow and built it yourself.
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #3675
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

The problem with costs in California are related to bureaucracy, endless alignment discussions, NIMBYs etc.
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #3676
Silver Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The problem with costs in California are related to bureaucracy, endless alignment discussions, NIMBYs etc.
Legitimate problems in America's colorful system, but it doesn't make the question I raised go away.

M-NL, I haven't thought of that, and I suppose that it is feasible. America has many foreign train factories in the US to comply with "Made in USA" regulations for such projects. In that case, JR definitely has a lead, although I have a feeling since there are also several European companies with US holdings, CHSR will very likely try to run both European AND Japanese trains instead of going for a pure system.
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #3677
Zero Gravity

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
Legitimate problems in America's colorful system, but it doesn't make the question I raised go away.

M-NL, I haven't thought of that, and I suppose that it is feasible. America has many foreign train factories in the US to comply with "Made in USA" regulations for such projects. In that case, JR definitely has a lead, although I have a feeling since there are also several European companies with US holdings, CHSR will very likely try to run both European AND Japanese trains instead of going for a pure system.
If they choose to go with the Japense I hope they stick with international or "european" standards like taiwan. I think that pays of longtorm since you are more flexible (bigger tunnel=smaller train nose, tracks bidirectional etc.)
Zero Gravity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #3678
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5man View Post
Not exactly, the House is still majority Republican. Unless you can convince some to cross the aisle, that will not happen. Realistically, a Transportation Bill would have to have some sort of hidden rider in it to get it past the House.
Also, the financial situation of the USA's federal and many state governments is such that there is no way any of that will be paid for for a long time to come. The federal situation is nearly proportionally on the scale of Greece - with spending on social 'entitlement' programs going through the roof and much, much more on the way.

And then there is this anti-energy orgy that is just beginning at the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) that will make it very expensive, if not impossible, to power whatever might be built.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #3679
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

I just hope that the global anti-nuclear surge doesn't spread here; it's the last thing we need....

But frankly, I think it would totally justifiable to do this entire project using pure deficit spending. An economy California's size shouldn't be panicking over spending ~100 billion over 2-3 decades; that's a tiny percentage of the state's GDP. Especially considering that California has been a net giver to federal tax revenue for a good while now.

Never even mind the federal debt situation. That is not actually a problem. But I don't want to start that discussion again. Just my two cents.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #3680
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

I heard that work will begin sometime in the next year.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states