daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 30th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #3741
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Looks like an Atlanta-Charlotte-Raleigh line would be a good idea. Also, San Antonio-Austin-DFW. 125mph hour tilting trains on upgraded lines would be good in these areas as a first step. Electrification would help achieve a good service.
Lines in Texas will work great. I'm tired of having my car as the only option. I love driving but I want more options. Flying within Texas is too expensive to justify the cost. If airlines had a cheap walk up fare from Austin to Dallas or Houston that would be great, since they don't provide that HSR is the next best option.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:46 AM   #3742
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

^ overseas investors have tried to do it multiple times, including Texas, and both times the political system still killed it.

Last edited by 33Hz; December 31st, 2012 at 02:14 AM.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:48 AM   #3743
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
^ overseas investors have tried to do it multiple times, including Texas, and both times the political system still killed it.
They should try the Northwest or New England easier to build in those regions...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:57 AM   #3744
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

hopefully the Acela express will be upgraded for that.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:59 PM   #3745
33Hz

Well, Amtrak is ordering another generation of 'normal' Acelas, saying that the HSR isn't expected until 2045 at the earliest.

For what could have been: http://www.trainweb.org/tgvpages/usa.html
Old December 31st, 2012, 03:11 PM   #3746
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Well, Amtrak is ordering another generation of 'normal' Acelas, saying that the HSR isn't expected until 2045 at the earliest.

For what could have been: http://www.trainweb.org/tgvpages/usa.html
Just to clarify, I thought they announced they weren't doing that?
Or is that what the announcement meant?

i.e. I thought those 40 new cars they decided not to buy would have been an acquirement of new stock, but they decided to order the newer gen train sets instead?
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 03:38 PM   #3747
33Hz

Yeah they are ordering new gen trains, but they will not be 350+ km/h HSR.
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3748
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Yeah they are ordering new gen trains, but they will not be 350+ km/h HSR.
by 2020 for next gen cars , the whole NEC network will be completed by 2045 , some of the most used lines will open by 2030.
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:48 AM   #3749
BruinsFan
Future urban planner

Likes (Received): 6

HSR should be implemented in the BOS-WASH corridor, Florida, areas of Texas, and areas of California (and maybe Chicago-St Louis). Only areas that could support it in my opinion
BruinsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:12 AM   #3750
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan View Post
HSR should be implemented in the BOS-WASH corridor, Florida, areas of Texas, and areas of California (and maybe Chicago-St Louis). Only areas that could support it in my opinion
I think the SE could support a medium speed rail tilting train type service, that corridor between Charlotte and Atlanta is growing fast.. Then extend that up to Raleigh and eventually DC.

Florida is getting a regular diesel medium speed privately run service soon but on freight tracks. I doubt they will get HSR anytime soon after what happened last

Last edited by aquablue; January 1st, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:52 PM   #3751
33Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
by 2020 for next gen cars , the whole NEC network will be completed by 2045 , some of the most used lines will open by 2030.
So could we see an order of trains with tilt and very high speed capability to plug the gap while the route is upgraded?
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:53 PM   #3752
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

If we can time travel and jump to 2023 chances are this discussion is still going as nothing would have happened.
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:30 PM   #3753
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
If we can time travel and jump to 2023 chances are this discussion is still going as nothing would have happened.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:06 AM   #3754
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
You debbie downers, cynics and pessimist will all be proven wrong anyway, think what you want.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:17 AM   #3755
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
You debbie downers, cynics and pessimist will all be proven wrong anyway, think what you want.
One of the rare cases I'd be happy to be proven wrong... Let us know when the first rail is laid.

If you are really quick about it, it could still be the first stretch in the Western hemisphere
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:34 PM   #3756
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Jobs aren't scarce. It's got an unemployment rate of just under 10%, higher than the national average, but not by much, and it's dropping.
Numbers Lie and the US Gov has been moving the numbers around for 10 years or more. The labour force participation rate is lower than it has been since 1960 or so and I hear nothing but bad news.

Real UE is more like 18% when those who have given up, early retired, take SSDI and other cohorts are added in.

Median income has dropped 5 years running. Yes, people have jobs. Part time jobs that pay $10 an hour 19 to 23 hours a week with no benefits when they used to have a job that paid $60k a year with full medical.

Quote:
There is something incorrect about it. Name for me another trillion dollar economy which is required to have a balanced budget at the end of every fiscal year. Nevermind the fact that California is a net donor state in terms of redistribution of federal tax dollars. Nevermind that no one in their right mind would allow or cause the state to go broke considering the value it has to the national and global economy.

The U.S. has the sort of fiscal and monetary union and attitude about that which would save the Euro quickly, if it weren't for the Austrians in the ECB and those like you who keep egging them on.
All economies that borrow like this eventually have a day of reckoning.

You believe that monetary easing can avoid hardship.

I know this is folly.

Standards of living will drop. It's just a matter of how.

It does not matter if you enact austerity (EU), avoid reality (USA), ease and intervene for 23 years (JCB), inflate it away, or take your medicine and get through the pain (Iceland).

The pain must be felt, assets written down, standards of living contract.

The excess amount above the curve/trend-line, must always be balanced by an amount under the curve/trend-line. The areas, when a credit bubble (not a Recession due to over capacity) occurs, must balance.

Or you get what we have today.

Iceland would be best. Tell the banks to book the losses, take the stimulus money and set up a dozen new USA chartered banks to keep the money and credit supply growing, jail everyone and make sure this does not happen again. Or until we forget this lesson the next time as we did in 2001-2008 when everyone from 1929 was dead or too old and, just like you, we all thought we knew better now, have more tools at our disposal, can financially innovate, etc. Pain? You betcha. But after wards the economy will be on much stronger footing, free of crippling debt payments.

You cannot spend more than you make. Eventually you must live within your means.

Your education indoctrinated you that this idea is outdated.

Reality is going to show you that your education was wrong.

Quote:
Look, I don't want to get into this, because I've tried to explain to you basic macroeconomics before, and you explicitly refused to listen. I suggest a mod delete these two specific posts, if possible.
No, what you are doing is attempting to convince me that MMT and Keynesianism are sound policies, and they are not.

Keynesianism was supposed to be based upon:

1) Save surplus when the times are good to
2) Spend them down and stimulate the economy when the times are bad.

China does this. This is very good and why China is doing ok.

The USA just skipped over the 'save the surplus' part and went directly to 'spend' and debt and print and inflate. This is bad.

I get it. You majored in Econ and you think you know what's going on because you went to a school that supported Keynesianism and MMT.

You are about to get a brutal education in the real world that will reveal to you that your education was vastly over priced and, to put it bluntly, wrong.

Back to trains...
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:55 PM   #3757
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

China Hand, but what if current crisis caused not only by some rampant economists and bankers, but also by high oil prices and slowdown of oil extraction?
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:07 PM   #3758
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Gotta love the foreign US-haters "lecturing" American forumers using the imperative modal.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:47 PM   #3759
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Amtrak Seeks Safety Changes to Allow U.S. Bullet Trains

Amtrak will recommend new U.S. rail- safety regulations to allow it to replace its Acela trains in the Northeast U.S. with lighter, faster equipment, Chief Executive Officer Joseph Boardman said.
U.S. crashworthiness standards force Amtrak to use trains that have locomotives on both ends and are slower and heavier than bullet trains used in Europe and Asia, Boardman said in an interview. Those standards reflect that U.S. passenger trains often share tracks with freight railroads rather than operating on their own lines.
Existing standards apply to trains traveling as much as 150 miles per hour (241 kilometers per hour). Writing new rules that relax railcar structural-strength requirements for faster trains “would allow for less use of fuel, quicker acceleration, a different performance profile,” Boardman, 64, said. “What we’re really looking for is a performance specification here.”
Amtrak last month announced it would seek bids to replace its 12-year-old fleet of 20 Acela trains operating between Washington and Boston instead of adding two cars to each train, a plan its inspector general questioned as too expensive. The Acela carried about 3.4 million passengers and produced about a fourth of Amtrak’s $2 billion in ticket revenue for the year ended Sept. 30.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...et-trains.html
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:11 PM   #3760
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

The strange thing about you, China Hand, and others who follow Austrian economics, is that in fact what you say follows logically from your premises, but when the evidence contradicts your premises, you simply try to discredit it and consequently refuse to change your views. You stop using logic whenever it doesn't tell you what you want. Dogmatism at its finest.

I'm not going to attempt to have a discussion with someone like that. And I highly recommend that, at least on macroeconomics, others refrain from engaging as well.

On Nexis' post, I can't honestly see this happening, reasonable though the demand is, until we do in fact get some passenger-dedicated rails. It is good that Amtrak is pushing something like this though. The organization as a whole really ought to stick up more for its own interests.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states