daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 21st, 2013, 01:08 AM   #4061
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
For the initial placements of HSR stations there are 3 logical locations: city centres, major business districts outside the city centre and major airports. That concept has been used in western Europe and Japan and is proven to work.
Terminal stations usually are very close to the city center/business district (those are rarely far from each other anyway). I can't think of a single HS line ending in an airport. Intermediate stations (almost invariably smaller towns and cities) indeed often are located on the outskirts of town or even in between two similar size towns.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2013, 03:34 AM   #4062
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I can't think of a single HS line ending in an airport.
Beijing - Shanghai Hongqiao
Silly_Walks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:09 AM   #4063
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It depends on the route, though adding a stop means at least 7 extra minutes between deceleration/layover/acceleration.

In any case, I think it is better to build some station NOT in a central area, but near some empty area that can be transformed into a secondary CBD. They can integrate stations in Dallas and Houston with their respective light rail projects. This would be positive for the real estate markets, for travelers and would also provide some serious long-term competition for business prime locations, opening some new areas for high-rises.
I have to agree. Texas Central HSR is a private capital venture, and as such I think they projected a Dallas area station location that would maximize the "catchment area" of potential customer base. Now I haven't seen their business plan, but I assume the customers they are going after are largely dependent on the automobile to get around town rather than public transport- this is the reality now in a sun belt sprawl city like the metroplex. So a station located in an open area with plenty of parking space and car rental facilities, as well as easy freeway access is the best initial location for a terminal. Public transport link could be light rail/commuter rail and buses, which would go on to downtown (Dallas, FW) and airport locations. Now, once the HSR line is firlmy established with a customer base, there may be extension to the airport or further on.

*As far as locating first at the airport- perhaps there is fear that potential customers will, after driving all the way there, will just merely hop on a plane to get to Houston (the familiar method) rather than try the train?
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:25 AM   #4064
Silly_Walks

Is there a clear map showing where the stations and lines are to be located for the different proposals?
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:38 AM   #4065
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Is there a clear map showing where the stations and lines are to be located for the different proposals?
For some reason I can't access the Mobility 2035 study, but here is a recent powerpoint presentation by Texas Central Railway:

http://www.transportationsummit.com/...bertEckels.pdf

Interestingly, it mentions that crossing I-30 and the Trinity River would be expensive. This would be required to get to DFW Airport. Probably why they want to locate the station in the SE corner of Dallas County.

FWIW, here is a Texas Central Rlwy. PR video:

phoenixboi08 liked this post
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:35 AM   #4066
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Beijing - Shanghai Hongqiao
And the line has no station in Shanghai itself?
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:13 PM   #4067
Silly_Walks

Quote:
And the line has no station in Shanghai itself?
Nope, Shanghai has many stations, but the line from Beijing goes to Shanghai Hongqiao.
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:26 PM   #4068
Sunfuns

It's a rare exception then.
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:58 PM   #4069
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
For some reason I can't access the Mobility 2035 study, but here is a recent powerpoint presentation by Texas Central Railway:

http://www.transportationsummit.com/...bertEckels.pdf

Interestingly, it mentions that crossing I-30 and the Trinity River would be expensive. This would be required to get to DFW Airport. Probably why they want to locate the station in the SE corner of Dallas County.

FWIW, here is a Texas Central Rlwy. PR video:

I soo want to see this built! I imagine American Airlines and Southwest won't like the idea but as much as I like to fly, we also need a damn good alternative that doesn't depend on directly burning fuel.

Get a station in downtown Ft. Worth, at DFW airport and Downtown Dallas....kill the Trinity Rail Express and get the line down to Houston with stations in the Woodlands, Downtown Houston and Galveston, that is if we're talking about 3 stations in each Metro area. I hope this happens and not just in 2035 when I'll be old. I don't know why the hell politicians propose ideas so far into the future especially when they'll probably be dead by then.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4070

Likes (Received): 1439

Great vid, but jazz in Texas?
Where's the country music, gdamnit?!
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:06 AM   #4071
Smooth Indian

Likes (Received): 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I soo want to see this built! I imagine American Airlines and Southwest won't like the idea but as much as I like to fly, we also need a damn good alternative that doesn't depend on directly burning fuel.
Can't these airlines be made a part of the solution, rather than letting them take adversarial positions.

FM 2258 liked this post
Smooth Indian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:15 AM   #4072
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Indian View Post
Can't these airlines be made a part of the solution, rather than letting them take adversarial positions.
I believe they will be interested with code sharing on short haul since it frees their aircrafts from profit thin routes. Planes burn most of their fuel during take-off and landing.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:12 AM   #4073
luhai

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
I believe they will be interested with code sharing on short haul since it frees their aircrafts from profit thin routes. Planes burn most of their fuel during take-off and landing.
I can see HSR serve as spokes to airline hubs in HSR-Plane code share, however, the traffic might not be enough to justify a HSR line.
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:49 AM   #4074
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhai View Post
I can see HSR serve as spokes to airline hubs in HSR-Plane code share, however, the traffic might not be enough to justify a HSR line.
The idea is too attract not just former airline passengers, but also those that would otherwise drive all the way, if reluctantly. That's why it's important to locate a station in a suburban or inner suburban area with good road links (they will make the final leg of their journey by private car, much like airline passengers do).
Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4075
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Las Vegas to Victorville bullet train gets bipartisan boost from lawmakers

Quote:
By TIM O’REILEY
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Four members of the Nevada Legislature have signed a letter to U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to back the XpressWest bullet train from Las Vegas to Victorville, Calif.

Train supporters have pinned their financing hopes on obtaining a $5.5 billion loan from the Federal Railway Administration, with the remaining $1.4 billion supposedly coming from private sources.

The letter, dated March 19, pressed LaHood to approve the loan because “this project is critical to the future of our economy.”

Signing the letter were Assemblyman Pat Hickey, R-Reno; Assembly Speaker Marilyn Kirkpatrick, D-North Las Vegas; state Sen. Mo Denis, D-Las Vegas; and state Sen. Michael Roberson, R-Henderson.

Two weeks ago, another letter to LaHood from Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin and U.S. Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama advocated killing the project as financially risky and likely to leave taxpayers stuck with losses on the loan.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:40 PM   #4076
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

This Dallas - Houston HSL would make just so much sense. We're talking about connecting more than 10 Million people with one railway line; basically the US edition of Cologne - Frankfurt - FRA. Two big ass metro areas, one huge airport and no more flights between the two cities. At least Lufthansa quit their Cologne - FRA service and is codesharing with Deutsche Bahn instead. I see no reason why this should not be possible in the US as well.

FM 2258, phoenixboi08 liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:52 PM   #4077
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Indian View Post
If it works in other places I don't see why it can't work here in Texas. As much as I would love to see this go through my home town of Austin, Houston and Dallas would be the perfect opportunity to get HSR kicked off in Texas. It might end up being the cheapest option for travel between the two cities.

As much as I love to drive, having only flying and driving as an option really sucks. I also think this line could become an economic boost for both cities. I wish we could get on the ball on this one and get this line completed within 5 years.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:46 PM   #4078
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

That line to Victorville will be a bust until CAHSR builds a link to LA basin. The worst congestion between Las Vegas and Los Angeles is exactly getting through the mountain passes.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:20 PM   #4079
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
That line to Victorville will be a bust until CAHSR builds a link to LA basin. The worst congestion between Las Vegas and Los Angeles is exactly getting through the mountain passes.
I think you are right about this one - it's still more than an hour to drive to LA even with little traffic. I doubt that line will be built any time soon, though.

But just in case what would be the most feasible alignment of high speed rail (or something approaching it) over the mountains? Would a medium length (10-20 miles) tunnel be helpful?
Old March 24th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #4080
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
I think you are right about this one - it's still more than an hour to drive to LA even with little traffic. I doubt that line will be built any time soon, though.

But just in case what would be the most feasible alignment of high speed rail (or something approaching it) over the mountains? Would a medium length (10-20 miles) tunnel be helpful?
The passes are not that high and - importantly - it runs through the most seismically active zone in North America.

CAHSR plans, AFAIK, call for a station in Palmdale and a sequence of short tunnels and viaducts into the basin. Linking Victorville and Palmdale is a piece of cake: couple dozen miles of tracks on flat desert.

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states