daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 20th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #4321
Crownsteler

Likes (Received): 474

And why would you anyway? It only makes sence when geology dictates it, or when there are so many road crossings that it becomes cheaper to put it on a viaduct.
And it is only the first section going under construction; from Fresno to Merced. Next up will be the section from Fresno to Bakersfield, and then from Bakersfield [via Palmdale] to LA. But since planning is not yet complete for those sections, expect more hurdles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Nice map, but the average speeds on the Northeast corridor is below what's listed on the map unfortunately. The average speed between Philly and NYC for example is 76 mph or 123 kmh.
As mentioned, maps like this show maximum operating speed, not average speeds.
Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #4322
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

I wonder, who would ride between Fresno and Merced?

BTW, are there any news about updating the western HSR( I mean, increasing the average speed)?
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #4323
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
I wonder, who would ride between Fresno and Merced?
They want to build an initial segment that can be used by existing trains immediately upon completion. They also wanted to build one of the cheapest sectors to put a big thing out there for people to see.
Old October 21st, 2013, 02:04 AM   #4324
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

It's frustrating...On the one hand, you have people obstructing this, making it necessary to pursue a blended approach; Republicans denying funding at the Federal level leading to uncertainty; and people who have lost faith in the process because of they see as an inconsistent approach.

This is why people should just step back and let things pan out before they foam at the mouth about how this is going to be apocalyptic. Has no one pointed out the possibility of these communities being able to use these railways for shipping (parcels/food/etc)?
Old October 21st, 2013, 02:46 AM   #4325
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
They want to build an initial segment that can be used by existing trains immediately upon completion. They also wanted to build one of the cheapest sectors to put a big thing out there for people to see.
Sure it's the easiest to build, but it will not really be the showcase for HSR, when it's finished it'll just give the opposition more ammunition because they can show pictures of empty trains.

FM 2258 liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 02:50 AM   #4326
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15393

Hi there.

I have a question:

Why building Fresno to Merced and Bakersfield, instead of Los Angeles to San Diego, which has much more potential and would certainly be a much better way of introducing the HSR to the average American citizen (since it would be much more visible, like all things LA)?

FM 2258 liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 06:46 AM   #4327
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Hi there.

I have a question:

Why building Fresno to Merced and Bakersfield, instead of Los Angeles to San Diego, which has much more potential and would certainly be a much better way of introducing the HSR to the average American citizen (since it would be much more visible, like all things LA)?
Because the ballot approved requires a frist initial segment to be part of an operable sector of SF-LA line.

Moreover, LA-San Diego will be very expensive despite the shorter distance.

FM 2258 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:16 AM   #4328
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Because the ballot approved requires a frist initial segment to be part of an operable sector of SF-LA line.

Moreover, LA-San Diego will be very expensive despite the shorter distance.
Though that ignores the fact that people still have to transfer to bus at Bakersfield (hereafter referred to as "Bako") in order to get to LA

To add, the ballot measure came about during a particularly severe time in the recession, and the depressed Central Valley was seen as a good place to funnel money politically.

The LA-SD portion is an attractive market (the original early 1980's HSR route actually was to be built here), but the most direct, coastal route now used by the Amtrak Surfliners is not politically viable due to NIMBYism- the current line goes through some very wealthy beach communities, who would take a dim view of a 200mph double track line going through their palm lined and jacaranda-bedecked neighborhoods.

In a perfect world, the first stretch of HSR to be tackled would be the most challenging one in terms of engineering- namely the stretch between LA and Bako. Get this stretch done with its tunnels and mountain crossings, and you have a continuous stretch of track, albeit with transfer at Bako, from LA to SF.

This "get the difficult bit done first" approach was used on the Tokaido Shinkansen (Shin Tanna Tunnel) back in the early 60's, and more recently the Kyushu Shinkansen route, which involved a transfer from narrow gauge train to standard gauge HSR at Shin Yatsushiro.

FM 2258 liked this post

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; October 21st, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:27 AM   #4329
Suburbanist
on the road

The new route to San Diego will be inland, via Riverside.

A coastal route would further disrupt the Camp Pendleton military area.

FM 2258 liked this post
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:32 AM   #4330
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:

Indeed. A dogleg route, but the only politically viable one. I didn't know Camp Pendleton was a factor, given that there already is a rail line going through there as well as an interstate freeway.

FM 2258 liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 11:11 AM   #4331
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:

This looks like a very inefficient way to connect HSR between Los Angeles and San Diego. The plus side to this is people in "Inland Empire" will have a fast commute to Los Angeles. Riverside-Los Angeles HSR portion would make a great high speed commuter line like the Chinese lines (Shanghai-Nanjing/Guangzhou-Shenzhen or Zhuhai). A branch to Inland Empire as well as a direct down to San Diego would be great but I will not hold my breath for this one.

I didn't think Camp Pendleton would be a problem either since like k.k.jetcar mentioned, Interstate 5 and rail already goes through that area.

This last bit is another topic for maybe another forum but the political system in the United States seems to be the most inefficient in the world. It's ridiculous that millions of dollars have already been spent on this rail line when no track has been laid. I hope when this line is open it will successfully spur a high speed rail "revolution" in the U.S. Oil companies will not like it but too ******* bad!

SAS 16 liked this post
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:46 PM   #4332
Suburbanist
on the road

Anyway, just to shed some light, this is the schedule for all trains on the San Diego-Los Angeles-San Luis Obispo corridor (LOSSAN)

http://www.sandag.org/uploads/projec..._420_16666.pdf

FM 2258 liked this post
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:26 AM   #4333
FM 2258

If I'm not mistaken does it take about 3 hours to get from San Diego to Los Angeles downtown according to the schedule?
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:28 AM   #4334
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

If I'm not mistaken does it take about 3 hours to get from San Diego to Los Angeles downtown according to the schedule?
2h45 on the fastest services.

FM 2258 liked this post
Old October 24th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #4335
Zero Gravity

Likes (Received): 17

BREAKING NEWS - CONSTRUCTION HAS STARTED

http://www.news.com.au/business/brea...-1226743578334

Quote:
A DUSTY stretch of land in California's Central Valley is the starting point for one of the most expensive public infrastructure projects in the US: a $US68 billion ($A70.75 billion) high-speed rail system that would span the state.

Engineering work has finally begun on the first 48km (30-mile) segment in Fresno, a city of a half-million people with soaring unemployment and a withering downtown core.

Rail is meant to help Fresno, with construction jobs now and greater economic opportunity when it's finished. But the region that could benefit most from high-speed rail is also where opposition has grown most fierce.

In the five years since California voters approved building the nation's first bullet train, opposition has grown and the project has been changed, leaving many wondering whether it will deliver what was promised.

FM 2258, Maadeuurija liked this post
Zero Gravity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #4336
FM 2258

AWESOME!!!! Glad to see something is finally happening!!! Finally some true POSITIVE news in this thread. Like I've mentioned before I hope this project goes well and it kicks off a high speed "revolution" in this country. We can do it!!!

CNB30, cuartango liked this post
Old October 25th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #4337
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

It's either gonna kick off the revolution or become the final nail in the US HSR coffin.
Old October 25th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #4338
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

It's such a poorly made project, difficult to be optimistic...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #4339
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
It's either gonna kick off the revolution or become the final nail in the US HSR coffin.
How?

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...anywhere/7314/

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #4340
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Based on the Tsinghua University/UCLA study on how HSR affects human work-migration patterns, this is my own documentary on how HSR can positively affect a region.

Warning: May contain cheese.

fskobic, phoenixboi08, FM 2258, :jax: liked this post
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states