daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:50 AM   #4661
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26122

From Orlando Sentinel:

Quote:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...stimulus-money

Crist says Florida should put high-speed rail back on track
April 3, 2014, by Scott Powers

Charlie Crist wants to bring the high-speed rail plan back to the Orlando-Tampa corridor, three years after Gov. Rick Scott canceled it and President Barack Obama redistributed its $2.4 billion in federal stimulus money to other states.

Crist, who was in Orlando on Thursday night for a fundraiser hosted by his boss John Morgan, slipped away for a press conference and to shake most diners' hands in the Wildside BBQ Bar & Grille in the Thornton Park area.

Now the Democratic front runner in the 2014 governor's race, Crist called for changes to Florida's Stand Your Ground law to exclude those who instigate conflicts and then shoot. He also defended budget decisions he made as a Republican governor, promoted the Affordable Care Act, and called for an alternative to I-4 traffic between Orlando and Tampa Bay.

Crist had championed the Orlando-to-Tampa bullet train plan as governor. Scott succeeded him and quickly rejected the plan, calling it a boondoggle that would cost Florida too much in the long run.

"It's just a shame that didn't happen," Crist said. "If we maybe have someone who gets along with the president, talks to him again, we maybe can get that high-speed rail money back here to Central Florida."

Crist said his 2009 and '10 budgets succeeded, though he used money he knew then would go away and constrict future budgets. That includes the one-time federal stimulus money he used to support teachers and other public employees, as well as increases in auto fees that Scott rolled back this week.

He avoided talking about the deeply recessed state economy that Scott inherited, but laid claim to the current improving economy, something that Scott contends is his legacy.

"We've got the largest budget in the history of Florida this year," Crist said. "So basically the bridge we put together for a better Florida worked out very well. So I'm glad."

phoenixboi08, Manitopiaaa liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:48 AM   #4662
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Orlando Sentinel:

wrong crist, you are no better than scott.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

Spam King liked this post
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:39 PM   #4663
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 566

^Nothing this guy says has any sense of realism to it. I find it pretty humorous actually.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 02:35 AM   #4664
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer View Post
^Nothing this guy says has any sense of realism to it. I find it pretty humorous actually.
Crist is idiotic anyways, won't vote for him just like RINO scott.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

Spam King liked this post
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #4665
GodIsNotGreat

Likes (Received): 1098

GE in talks to buy Alstom

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...A3M22Q20140423

Wow. I'd like to think that GE is eyeing Alstom's TGV rail business vis-a-vis a posssible enthusiasm and appetite for high-speed rail construction in America.

But considering France's nationalistic tendencies and its record in intervening with foreign acquisitions, this is far from a done deal.
GodIsNotGreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #4666
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

That is certainly an exciting prospect, but I think it's as likely that GE wants a chance to get involved in the growing interest in HSR projects globally as it is that it sees tons of hope for them in this country. I'd love to be wrong about that.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #4667
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

you can draw in the HS lines
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...13564778_n.jpg
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #4668
GodIsNotGreat

Likes (Received): 1098

So it seems that GE is only after Alstom's power/energy division.

TGV will remain French. Oh well.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A3O14I20140425
GodIsNotGreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #4669
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodIsNotGreat View Post
So it seems that GE is only after Alstom's power/energy division.

TGV will remain French. Oh well.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A3O14I20140425
There is talk that if GE acquires Alstom's energy business, Siemens will likely swoop in and get the leftovers, including the rail transport division.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 04:28 AM   #4670
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
There is talk that if GE acquires Alstom's energy business, Siemens will likely swoop in and get the leftovers, including the rail transport division.
No, Siemens wants Alstom's power division in exchange for their rail business (exkluding Metros and other light rail). Won't happen, since the EU would never agree to that deal.
Old April 28th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #4671
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Nah.. French politicians won't let that happen either way.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #4672
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Paris asked Siemens for it.
Old April 28th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #4673
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
No, Siemens wants Alstom's power division in exchange for their rail business (exkluding Metros and other light rail). Won't happen, since the EU would never agree to that deal.
I doubt that. Alstom may get very big in the heavy rail sector, but there are plenty of competitors left andm, even when I don't have any exact numbers, I don't think they will get anywhere near 50% of the market.
Old April 30th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #4674
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

There's no such thing as a 50 % threshold in antitrust law. Depends on the market, if a company reaches a worrying percentage or not. Whilst Airbus and Boenig are still maintaining a sufficent amount of competition, Alstom, combined with the huge rail business of Siemens, would be so much bigger than the next competitor Bombardier.
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #4675
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

True, there is no absolute threshold. The 50% was merely a, rather uneducated, guess of Alstom's and Siemens' market share together. Do realise there are plenty of other manufacturers active on the European market, to name a few in no partiticular order: Stadler, Hitachi, CAF, Talgo, PESA, NEWAG, AnsaldoBreda, Voith and Vossloh.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #4676
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21231

What's the story behind ICE trains in USA?

kyah117 liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #4677
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Procurement process. Siemens, just like Bombardier/Alstom, entered the competition for the NEC highspeed trains.
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #4678
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

I love how they stuck the big ugly beasts in front of the sleek trains for "safety"..
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #4679
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Standard procedure in any country, if trains are not certified.
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #4680
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
SWA doesn't care because they will no longer be restricted to flying within Texas come the end of the year...

I don't know anything about the politics, so I can't comment on the matter. However, I'm speaking specifically to the perception that the fate of the Fort-Worth project is going to damage Texas Central's plans: the Houston-Dallas project is envisioned as a complete system without any other segments.

Considering the areas that they're considering running the ROW, I think it's a high probability that this won't face stiff opposition. Considering how vocal they've been in outreach in the rural communities that would be affected (see CAHSR for an example of what happens when you don't).
If you think this won't face stiff opposition from land owners, you're sorely mistaken. Every ROW build is a battle in Texas.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Pla...258316161.html

just wait. Now that the COG is involved, they will do everything they can to make the plan most feasible for FW and Arlington and will intervene in state politics. If you think SWA doesn't care about stuff like this, witness their current fight to give up even two gates at Love Field. Texas may have the private company to back this, but politicians will make it very, very difficult. Just wait until Dallas County starts looking to fill its pockets. Hopefully the FBI puts a stop to that.

sweet-d liked this post
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states