daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21st, 2014, 09:05 PM   #4901
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10876

Yes, thank you.
95 will be for the entire length of time asking only 15.
These are the evolution of the Velaro CN but Siemens only has 18% of the project in China. They may be slightly different, but of course, then where would the CRH380C, where Siemens gives way to Hitachi.
But calling station 200 meters, may not be the CRH380BL.
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:12 PM   #4902
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

How about building works? Has anything finally started? Aren't they in danger of losing funding if works are not started very soon?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:17 AM   #4903
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Going with 16 car trainsets is nuts, the demand will not be that great from the get go.

mcarling liked this post
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:33 AM   #4904
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Going with 16 car trainsets is nuts, the demand will not be that great from the get go.
How many cars are in the current Armtrak train from Oakland to Bakersfield?
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:01 AM   #4905
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10876

The conditions claimed 450 seats on one floor with 205 meters maximum.
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:09 PM   #4906
Dallaz

Likes (Received): 169

Proposed routes for Dallas-Houston high-speed rail revealed

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/trans...l-revealed.ece

Quote:
The 240-mile project, which could be the first high-speed rail line in America, is expected to get people between the two cities in 90 minutes. If funding is secured and federal approval granted, the train could be running by 2021.

FM 2258 liked this post
Dallaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:44 AM   #4907
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Agree. They should build the platforms for 16 car trains and use 8 car trains until demand grows.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 06:05 AM   #4908
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
CNR to bid for Carlifonia HSR project with CRH380BL trainset, it is reported they are expecting to provide 95 rolling stocks
I think they want a train system with a provable track record ( no pun intended ). The US is already skeptical of high speed rail as it is. The last thing they need is a train with problems. If CAHSR fails you can kiss HSR goodbye for decades in the states.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 06:55 AM   #4909
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

from the news I got that CNR do not involed in CAHSR.It is CSR and CRH380A has pass the censorship of US goverment several years ago.
flankerjun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 04:18 PM   #4910
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankerjun View Post
from the news I got that CNR do not involed in CAHSR.It is CSR and CRH380A has pass the censorship of US goverment several years ago.
huh?
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:53 PM   #4911
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
I think they want a train system with a provable track record ( no pun intended ). The US is already skeptical of high speed rail as it is. The last thing they need is a train with problems. If CAHSR fails you can kiss HSR goodbye for decades in the states.
What "problems" are you referring to?
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #4912
bluemeansgo

Quote:
What "problems" are you referring to?
Any problems. Any perceived failure. Any glitch in the system. Any collision. Anything that High speed rail detractors can exaggerate.

The point is, using a system that has a long proven track-record is a safer bet for the USA's first real high-speed-rail system.

It's why I think they will choose either France, Germany or Japan's systems for California. They all have proven track records and a long history of safety and reliability.

This kind of imagery is ammunition for HSR detractors:
[img]http://spectrum.ieee.org/img/1899314ChinaTrain.BLOG.ChinaFotoPress***********.jpg[/img]
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:06 PM   #4913
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I would prefer China come to the U.S. and build us a high speed rail network, from what I've seen I like their implementation the best.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:19 PM   #4914
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

If I were the US, I'd rather have Japanese technology, then French. Japanese technology has been exported previously (Taiwan) and so has French (S. Korea). Not only that but the Shinkansen is the worlds safest HSR - no passenger fatalities in its whole history, which is the longest in the world. I've been on the ICE, the TGV and on the Shinkansen twice. I will be going on the CRH system between Beijing and Shanghai (return) this Christmas period so I might change my mind after that, but for now, Japanese and French technology is what I'd like to see imported to Sweden or any other country I live in.

Shinkansen is definitely the most comfortable system I've used. The TGV was okay, but I was on older stock, so I've not used the newest stock. The Italian system surprised me - the Italo was pretty comfortable, though not so reliable and I am not sure whose technology the HSR is in Italy actually... The ICE was comfortable, but the slowest system out of the three systems.

Last edited by Svartmetall; October 23rd, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:39 PM   #4915
Sunfuns

So far I've been on TGV (Basel-Paris), AVE (Barcelona-Zaragoza) and ICE (various routes, but not the fastest sections). All three could be excellent, but as far as comfort for passengers is concerned ICE is at the top and TGV at the bottom. TGV is the fastest, though.

By the way which model are Spanish exporting to Saudi Arabia? Are there any plans to offer the same elsewhere?
Old October 24th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #4916
bluemeansgo

I've been on TGV, but yes, it's not as comfortable. This is mainly a product of much of it not being built on solid concrete structures.

Japan has the advantages of an early-earthquake warning system, some of the strictest noise pollution rules and an extremely smooth ride. I haven't ridden on ICE, though I'd imagine they'd be built well. Germans tend to excel at these things in a similar way as Japan does.

It will be really interesting to see how Japan, Germany and France present their systems.
Old October 24th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #4917
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

I must admit that the TGV lines aren't the smoothest. Rifding the Eurostar, you notice a noticeable difference in track quality between France and the UK (as well as atrocious acceleration). Shinkansen has been, of course comfortable, every time, and the added earthquake knowledge will be a huge boost in California.

Frankly, I have strong doubts about the safety (and legality - given the technology used) of the CRH system and would rather not see it used. Once they manage to produce a system that isn't a facelifted import and have at least 15 years accident free running under their belt, then exports may be much more palatable.

Tower Dude, aquaticko liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 05:42 AM   #4918
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

safety or not,just depands on,which signal system you choose,almost all accidents are resulted from signal fault
flankerjun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #4919
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Hello,

As a person who finds Amtrak interesting (as a new user of the service), is Amtrak still saying that "150 MPH is 'high speed'" for North America when our Western counterparts have trains regularly going 200+?
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #4920
greenlion

Likes (Received): 30

CSR announced they will bid for Califonia HSR project too, according to report from Chinese media yesterday

and this: CNR will produce rolling stocks for Boston subway

http://www.shanghai.gov.cn/shanghai/...22ai78164.html

Quote:
CNR shares jump on US subway deal

Shares of China CNR Corp surged in Shanghai yesterday after the state-owned trainmaker said it had won a multi-billion-yuan contract to make trains for the oldest subway network in the United States.

CNR’s stock jumped 5.3 percent to 6.39 yuan (US$1.04) on a day when the benchmark Shanghai Composite Index fell more than 1 percent with investors betting that the company was likely to win more overseas orders after making its debut in North America.

CNR said in a stock exchange filing that the Massachusetts Department of Transportation in the US had picked its bid for the Boston metro cards procurement project on Wednesday. The firm will supply carriages for the red and orange lines of the Boston Subway, which is worth about 3.5 billion yuan.

The trainmaker beat competitors including Bombardier Inc, Hyundai Rotem Co, Kawasaki Rail Car and CSR Qingdao Sifang with a US$556.6 million bid to supply cars for the greater Boston area, according to an article posted on the website of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation.

The contract was for 284 subway cars with an option for a further 58 cars.

According to transportation authority, CNR plans to build a new manufacturing facility for final assembly of the vehicles in Boston, which will serve as the company’s US headquarters. The facility will include over 150,000 square feet of manufacturing and office space.

China has built over 12,000 kilometers of track at home for high-speed train in less than a decade, and CNR is one of the biggest high-speed train makers in the country. Last week CNR signed a contract in Thailand for a 115-meter gauge railway passenger cars project.

FM 2258 liked this post
greenlion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states