daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should the US build or improve it's HSR network?
Yes 249 89.57%
No 29 10.43%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 24th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #4941
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegal View Post
Agreed. It's not lack of technical expertise, but experience. But hey, you guys sent a man to the moon. You surely could build a HSR from scratch.
That would be a ridiculous waste of money. It's already more expensive than it ought to be. If HSR really takes off in US there will eventually be local companies producing those trains, but not for the first 2-3 lines.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #4942
Donegal
Leave the city behind 

Likes (Received): 1094

Off course, I know it would be ridiculous to develop a full technological and industrial branch in order to produce something that you could buy to Japan, Europe, or even China. BUT, the technical potential is there.

And in the end, we lie awake

And we dream of making our escape
Donegal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 02:57 PM   #4943
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusiluz View Post
Well, there are already official proposals (thank goodness!)
10 expressions of interest in California high speed fleet

And there for everyone, but it seems to me that I do not qualify. We will see.

Responses were submitted by:
  • Alstom Transportation;
  • AnsaldoBreda;
  • Bombardier Transit Corp;
  • CSR Corp;
  • Hyundai Rotem;
  • Marnell Transportation;
  • Kawasaki Rail Car;
  • Siemens Industry;
  • SunGroup USA & World Harmony City/CNR Tangshan Railway Vehicle Co;
  • Talgo.
The expressions of interest are intended to enable CHSRA to ‘open up conversations’ with manufacturers to help shape the upcoming request for proposals. CHSRA is looking for information regarding procurement and how the manufacturers propose complying with Buy America and Buy California provisions.

The initial procurement is expected to be for a base order and options for up to 95 trainsets, suitable for ‘sustained speeds’ over 320 km/h (200 miles/h) to offer Los Angeles – San Francisco journey times of less than 3 h.
http://www.jchighspeedrail.com/about/

The Japanese consortium. Guess Toshiba didn't jump in, unless it's partners with a non-Japanese consortium.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #4944
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

That would be unusual, as Japanese companies tend to tender together or alone if they tender at all. Maybe it's just me, but usually Hitachi and Kawasaki are the names that jump to mind in Japanese HSR, not necessarily Toshiba. Perhaps they're hedging their bets to see how HSR does in California before bidding on another project somewhere else in the U.S.

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #4945
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
That would be unusual, as Japanese companies tend to tender together or alone if they tender at all. Maybe it's just me, but usually Hitachi and Kawasaki are the names that jump to mind in Japanese HSR, not necessarily Toshiba. Perhaps they're hedging their bets to see how HSR does in California before bidding on another project somewhere else in the U.S.
I named Toshiba since they always show HSR in their TV ads so I was thinking they are really making a push into this industry.

But I read up on them and it seems they haven't worked on any Japanese trains. Taiwan is the only country I could find that has Toshiba trains.

So yeah, maybe they are just waiting this one out.

Old October 26th, 2014, 12:37 AM   #4946
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10876

I never heard anything about Toshiba in HST. Hitachi: yes.
Taiwan THSR 700T was: Kawasaki / Hitachi / Nippon Sharyo
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #4947
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

WOW the Japanese are Jumping full force into this Huh?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #4948
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusiluz View Post
I never heard anything about Toshiba in HST. Hitachi: yes.
Taiwan THSR 700T was: Kawasaki / Hitachi / Nippon Sharyo
You can read about it here.

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/sis/railway...ed/outline.htm

Old October 26th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #4949
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10876

In your link I see that work on trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
I named Toshiba since they always show HSR in their TV ads so I was thinking they are really making a push into this industry.

But I read up on them and it seems they haven't worked on any Japanese trains. Taiwan is the only country I could find that has Toshiba trains.

So yeah, maybe they are just waiting this one out.
Does the radio connection ?.
Naturally the railroad many other parties, with many companies.

Anyway, thanks for the link
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #4950
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Toshiba supplies electrical equipment to rolling stock manufacturers. They also build electric locomotives, but not passenger rolling stock. Hitachi is the only more or less vertically integrated rolling stock company in Japan, capable of building both rolling stock and the traction packages that move them.

aquaticko, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #4951
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Information on the proposed route(s)of the Texas Central Railway HSR route. It's a presentation being used at public scoping meetings now being held in Texas locations. If all goes well, this will be the first all-hsr route in the U.S.
Note the proposed alignments and station locations.

https://dallashoustonhsr.files.wordp...esentation.pdf

Gusiluz, elekto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #4952
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
WOW the Japanese are Jumping full force into this Huh?
Well it makes sense if you think about it. Japan proved to the world that passenger trains are not dying, but have had limited success in exporting it.

In recent years they exported
  • E2 series technology to China.
  • 700 series to Taiwan.

There are limited opportunities in Europe, Chinese opportunities prefer to get a small order and then build it themselves, and India and Vietnam are more far-future opportunities.

The US is a large wealthy market that is just taking off as opportunities in Japanese opportunities wind down. Apart from the Hokkaido Shinkansen, there aren't any really large markets that aren't served by Shinkansen. If Japan wants to continue growing its train industry it has to aggressively market to a large market that has a long-term appetite for high quality systems.

The US is ripe with many opportunities for multiple separate systems. It's essentially like 5 or 6 markets that can be treat separately. California, Pacific Northwest, Texas, North-east corridor, Florida...

And finally, Japan and the US have been very close allies for decades. It only makes sense for them to strengthen the relationship.

ukiyo, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #4953
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
The new AGV has moved to a Japanese-style Powered EMUs (as opposed to a Locomotive on front and back). It's very new for the French, though... first launching in Italy 2 years ago. It's also, unfortunately, 1' narrower than the specs require. Not sure if this is an issue or not.

I think you will see more trainsets move in this direction. Some of the advantages of having powered EMUs are weight distribution and more even and faster acceleration.
Alstom could have built HSR EMU's years earlier if SNCF had wanted them to. SNCF instead wanted double decker trains with jacobs bogies. The only way to do that and to keep within the 17 ton axle load limit was to keep using motor cars on both ends. Alstom then decided to develop the AGV on their own, just to show the world they could do it.

The AGV adheres to the UIC 505-1 profile, which enables it to be used pretty much anywhere in Europe except for the UK. Alstom could build it to fit any profile requested, but that will cost extra and could limit your area of use.
Same goes for other high speed trains though: The ICE3 (both 403/406 and 407) are also much narrower then their ICE1/2 predecessors for the same reason.

M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #4954
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

2 pics from Secaucus

Acela Express # 2036 at Secaucus Junction
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Amtrak Cities Sprinter # 608 at Secaucus Junction
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #4955
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

It's sad that the average speed on the NEC is still slow and there is no news about HSR on the NEC. I hate to see the poor old Acela, serving the area in the US most suited to HSR, be superceeded by California and Texas potentially.. Sad days.

City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #4956
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
The AGV adheres to the UIC 505-1 profile, which enables it to be used pretty much anywhere in Europe except for the UK. Alstom could build it to fit any profile requested, but that will cost extra and could limit your area of use.
Same goes for other high speed trains though: The ICE3 (both 403/406 and 407) are also much narrower then their ICE1/2 predecessors for the same reason.
In case of USA it isn't an issue, even in unlikely event of expanding HS service onto classic lines, both Canada and Mexico have generous loading gauge.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #4957
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

The USA could still run into trouble if they want to use 3,4m wide trains to enable viable 5 abreast seating, because their normal profiles are 'just' 3,2m wide.

M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #4958
Nexarc
Shipper on Deck

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
The USA could still run into trouble if they want to use 3,4m wide trains to enable viable 5 abreast seating, because their normal profiles are 'just' 3,2m wide.
While that might be valid for most of the NEC since I am not as familiar with it, loading gauges in the West tend to be greater due to lower platforms, wide freight loads and major lines such as the SF Peninsula compliant with the Dept. of Defense's STRACNET profile, which itself is 3.5m wide.

Nexarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #4959
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
I can't imagine the US wanting 5-abreast seating on a train. It will be a hard enough sell as it is and 3 + 2 seating would be a pretty tough fit for many Americans. NO one wants to sit in the middle seat. It's tolerated on a plane, but the train has to better than the plane.

Donegal, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #4960
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
It's sad that the average speed on the NEC is still slow and there is no news about HSR on the NEC. I hate to see the poor old Acela, serving the area in the US most suited to HSR, be superceeded by California and Texas potentially.. Sad days.
Actually they're currently upgrading speeds in New Jersey to 160 miles an hour.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...n_trenton.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4gpZiUyy-U

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
amtrak, desertxpress, fly california, high speed rail, northeast corridor, texas triangle, united states